Hydaelyn Role-Players
General Lore Questions - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Lore Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=49)
+--- Thread: General Lore Questions (/showthread.php?tid=4766)

RE: General Lore Questions - Arashin Kujqai - 07-11-2017

So with the options available to the aether-.... the barber guy that cuts hair LOL. I'll never remember it otherwise... I understand cutting hair and I guess scars and etc could be either makeup or just something that happens of your character's story. What I wanted to ask about is the umbral eye rings for au ra seem to be changeable for color and etc too... Is that a lore thing or what would this be? I kinda assumed the eyes were something from birth.

RE: General Lore Questions - Kilieit - 07-11-2017

Still no lore on what those are about, no. We still only have the tiny snippet from the lore Q&A at Las Vegas 2016 to go by for au ra biology:

Quote:Q: Tell us about Au Ra a little more! How likely is it that their horns and tails are damaged/removed? Do they feel sensation against them, or are they a solid material? Should said tails or horns be damaged, do they grow back or are they lost forever? Just how good is Auri hearing? I'm assuming that the horns are hollow.
A: More info in the lore book, but also: it's hard for a tail or horn to be removed. They don't shed. They grow continuously until they reach a certain size then stop. They don't grow super long. If they're damaged, in a fall or in battle, they will slowly regrow until they reach the maximum size again. The horns themselves are hollow and the vibration of sound inside them aids their hearing. Is their hearing better than a lalafell who are supposed to have the best hearing? No their hearing is about as good as a hyur, just in a different way / hear it / process it differently. More in the lore book!

Which is fine. That's fine. We don't need those details or anything.

:)

:')

Oh, we did get one tiny more thing, but it's not related to limbal rings:

Show Content

RE: General Lore Questions - Arashin Kujqai - 07-12-2017

Damn q.q... and on another note, I know it's been asked a ton before but I was wondering if there's yet to be any clarity on the concept of cross breeding races. Like an Au Ra with a Miqo'te or a Roe with an Elezen... what is the outcome of birth between mixed races?

RE: General Lore Questions - Gegenji - 07-12-2017

(07-12-2017, 10:30 AM)Valic Wrote: Damn q.q... and on another note, I know it's been asked a ton before but I was wondering if there's yet to be any clarity on the concept of cross breeding races. Like an Au Ra with a Miqo'te or a Roe with an Elezen... what is the outcome of birth between mixed races?

I don't quite remember where I heard this or if it was documented somewhere or just pure fanon... but what I recall hearing is that the "base" race of the crossbreed is that of the mother, with some traits inherited from the father's side.

So a M Roe/F Elezen offspring would look mostly like an Elezen, except possibly more stocky and/or having some Roegadyn features. And, vice versa, a M Elezen/F Roe child would be mostly Roe but possibly ganglier and/or having features like a longer neck or slightly pointed ears.

Something to that effect, anyway.

(07-12-2017, 10:34 AM)Gegenji Wrote:
(07-12-2017, 10:30 AM)Valic Wrote: Damn q.q... and on another note, I know it's been asked a ton before but I was wondering if there's yet to be any clarity on the concept of cross breeding races. Like an Au Ra with a Miqo'te or a Roe with an Elezen... what is the outcome of birth between mixed races?

I don't quite remember where I heard this or if it was documented somewhere or just pure fanon... but what I recall hearing is that the "base" race of the crossbreed is that of the mother, with some traits inherited from the father's side.

So a M Roe/F Elezen offspring would look mostly like an Elezen, except possibly more stocky and/or having some Roegadyn features. And, vice versa, a M Elezen/F Roe child would be mostly Roe but possibly ganglier and/or having features like a longer neck or slightly pointed ears.

2nd person who's said this so I'm starting to believe it's a real thing. Then the question is just how much of something someone gets. If it's a male miqo'te and a female au ra.... They're an Au ra with miqo'te ears?... or tail?... or... ._. I don't really know how to go about this lol. Most other races get away with the ear thing or something but in situations like this, I wonder what to do.

(07-12-2017, 10:41 AM)Valic Wrote:

2nd person who's said this so I'm starting to believe it's a real thing. Then the question is just how much of something someone gets. If it's a male miqo'te and a female au ra.... They're an Au ra with miqo'te ears?... or tail?... or... ._. I don't really know how to go about this lol. Most other races get away with the ear thing or something but in situations like this, I wonder what to do.

Yeah, I think when you add Miqo'te and Au Ra to the mix is when things start becoming more questionable.

From my point of view? If the mother is an Au Ra, they are going to have horns and scales... with the Miqo'te traits that get past along being lesser things. Their eyes or their fangs, maybe facial markings. Perhaps, to the extreme, maybe they DO have a light layer of fuzz on their tails and/or horns.

Conversely, a Miqo'te mother would mean mostly Miqo'te features. Maybe they get the limbal rings? Maybe their ears and tails are less furry, possibly with some scaling here and there?

Really, I think the real answer is that we won't really know unless SE provides a child of such a union. Remember, the only crossbreeds we've seen so far have been Elezen/Hyur and - if I recall correctly - a crossing of the two clans of Miqo'te. We haven't seen several of the potential combinations. Miqo'te crossed with anything other than another Miqo'te, Au Ra with anything else, and the ever mind-bending idea of a Lalafell and a Roe. So all we're left with is personal guesswork on how the genetics would work out, perhaps tempered somewhat by what we know of actual genetics.

RE: General Lore Questions - Oyuu - 07-12-2017

I'll put some of my findings under a spoiler cut since this from HW/SB questlines:

Show Content

So, I'd imagine a miqo'te/au ra child to either look almost like one of the races, perhaps Au Ra horns, tail and scales but has the slit pupils of a Seeker miqo'te, or a miqo'te with limbal rings or something. It's never just a 50% mix it seems from the evidence provided.

(07-12-2017, 11:21 AM)Oyuu Wrote:

I'll put some of my findings under a spoiler cut since this from HW/SB questlines:

Show Content

So, I'd imagine a miqo'te/au ra child to either look almost like one of the races, perhaps Au Ra horns, tail and scales but has the slit pupils of a Seeker miqo'te, or a miqo'te with limbal rings or something. It's never just a 50% mix it seems from the evidence provided.
That's what I think it'd be like. Problem is we're only ever given evidence of "Insert Race Here" + Hyur(basic human that neuters all the traits of the other race) mixed together. The latter example makes the most sense to me I guess, more dominant traits taking over... I can't imagine a scaly tail having fur just because of DNA reasons of it sounding rather... odd? Maybe not impossible but probably very unlikely.

(07-12-2017, 11:21 AM)Oyuu Wrote: I'll put some of my findings under a spoiler cut since this from HW/SB questlines:

Ah! I remember that quest-line! I actually feel kinda dumb for having it slip my mind since it's actually part of a huge side quest chain... and gets mentioned again offhand at the end of another quest. (Was that guy a descendant of that pairing too, or just part of the family? Because he looks pretty normal...)

... Though, I don't recall the bit about someone describing the offspring. But that could just be me forgetting some of the minor details. Blush

RE: General Lore Questions - Sounsyy - 07-13-2017

Currently, the theory that interracial children will predominantly bear the mother's race/features is fanon. As yet, there's no actual lore or dev commentary on that matter specifically. So far, however, the theory holds up in the only three cases of interracial children mentioned specifically:

1) Hilda - Elezen father, Hyuran mother
2) Arenvald - Garlean father, Hyuran mother
3) Ruby Prince - Hyuran father, Auri mother

Shiosai Wrote:To the contrary, My Grace. I believe generations back, a Ruby Princess and a Hyuran man were once joined in holy matrimony. The son they bore was said to have had almost no scales.

Other than that, we don't really have enough data to say one way or the other on how mixed race children will turn out. Will probably have to wait for Fernehalwes to comment on this one.

RE: General Lore Questions - Arashin Kujqai - 07-13-2017

Dumb question but lore speaking, for everyone that can use the aetherytes and mini aetherytes, teleport and etc.... Is the aspect of paying a small amount of gil in FF14 to travel across distances a lore thing or just a game mechanic thing? Sounds like just a sink for teleporting and the like, just wondered if there was anything mentioning it or etc lol.

RE: General Lore Questions - Lowen - 07-13-2017

[Image: OJBa2wx.png]

(07-13-2017, 06:20 AM)Lowen Wrote: [Image: OJBa2wx.png]
Interesting... so who's actually collecting the fee? Or how?... I mean, are we just losing bits of gold when we teleport that get's transferred or is there just someone going around keeping up with people saying "NOPE, PAY FIRST BEFORE YOU LEAVE!" lol. How is this enforced rather XD?

RE: General Lore Questions - Sounsyy - 07-13-2017

(07-13-2017, 06:27 AM)Valic Wrote: Interesting... so who's actually collecting the fee? Or how?... I mean, are we just losing bits of gold when we teleport that get's transferred or is there just someone going around keeping up with people saying "NOPE, PAY FIRST BEFORE YOU LEAVE!" lol. How is this enforced rather XD?

This is one of those instances where it's happening, but it's not always apparent how. It's best not to think about the specifics. For instance, if you teleport to Ul'dah, it's probably a guard standing nearby who walks up and asks you to hand over the fee. How do they know how much to take? Is it honor system of where you came from? Can they turn on their aetherometers and trace your aetherial trail from its previous location? Or if you're teleporting to a remote place, like Azys Lla, what then?

When utilizing teleportation in RP, I feel like it's best to play around with teleportation's two costs (physical and monetary) in such a way that makes sense for where you're going and where you came from. If you're teleporting to Ul'dah from Gridania, make an emote about paying the guard either before or after teleportation, and depending upon your character's or characters' anima, such a journey may or may not be taxing.

If you're teleporting to a place that has no maintaining presence (Ok' Zundu(?), Azys Lla Helix, Anyx Trine, Moghome, and Zenith), aka mostly Heavensward zones, OR if you're teleporting across continent perhaps focus more on the intensive anima cost that would take upon your characters' bodies.

Alphinaud Wrote:Suffice it to say, it should prove a boon for travel─well, for those replete with anima like you, at least...

Teleportation (Aether, Aetheryte, Lifestream) Lore

Hope this helps!

(07-13-2017, 07:54 AM)Sounsyy Wrote:
(07-13-2017, 06:27 AM)Valic Wrote: Interesting... so who's actually collecting the fee? Or how?... I mean, are we just losing bits of gold when we teleport that get's transferred or is there just someone going around keeping up with people saying "NOPE, PAY FIRST BEFORE YOU LEAVE!" lol. How is this enforced rather XD?

This is one of those instances where it's happening, but it's not always apparent how. It's best not to think about the specifics. For instance, if you teleport to Ul'dah, it's probably a guard standing nearby who walks up and asks you to hand over the fee. How do they know how much to take? Is it honor system of where you came from? Can they turn on their aetherometers and trace your aetherial trail from its previous location? Or if you're teleporting to a remote place, like Azys Lla, what then?

When utilizing teleportation in RP, I feel like it's best to play around with teleportation's two costs (physical and monetary) in such a way that makes sense for where you're going and where you came from. If you're teleporting to Ul'dah from Gridania, make an emote about paying the guard either before or after teleportation, and depending upon your character's or characters' anima, such a journey may or may not be taxing.

If you're teleporting to a place that has no maintaining presence (Ok' Zundu(?), Azys Lla Helix, Anyx Trine, Moghome, and Zenith), aka mostly Heavensward zones, OR if you're teleporting across continent perhaps focus more on the intensive anima cost that would take upon your characters' bodies.

Alphinaud Wrote:Suffice it to say, it should prove a boon for travel─well, for those replete with anima like you, at least...

Teleportation (Aether, Aetheryte, Lifestream) Lore

Hope this helps!
It helps a ton XD, I like that kinda flexibility, it's just enough to play around with. If anything, people could just claim they bought aetheryte tickets prior too, just to spare the concept too much detail too.