Hydaelyn Role-Players
General Lore Questions - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Lore Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=49)
+--- Thread: General Lore Questions (/showthread.php?tid=4766)

RE: General Lore Questions - Valence - 07-13-2017

(07-13-2017, 07:54 AM)Sounsyy Wrote: Or if you're teleporting to a remote place, like Azys Lla, what then?

Well, the nodes collect, of course. Tongue

RE: General Lore Questions - Meena - 07-13-2017

With lalafellian lore, do we have any information regarding the span in which they mature? Physically and emotionally?

RE: General Lore Questions - Unnamed Mercenary - 07-13-2017

(07-13-2017, 08:42 PM)Meena Wrote: With lalafellian lore, do we have any information regarding the span in which they mature? Physically and emotionally?

People of the Lalafellin race age and mature the same as all the others. The only known exception to this is Elezen, who live a "little" longer and whose puberty years go into the early 20s.

RE: General Lore Questions - Arashin Kujqai - 07-13-2017

(07-13-2017, 08:51 PM)Unnamed Mercenary Wrote:
(07-13-2017, 08:42 PM)Meena Wrote: With lalafellian lore, do we have any information regarding the span in which they mature? Physically and emotionally?

People of the Lalafellin race age and mature the same as all the others. The only known exception to this is Elezen, who live a "little" longer and whose puberty years go into the early 20s.
I just pictured a really high pitched tall elezen man suddenly getting a deep masculine voice that's also unfitting. I had a laugh...

<3<;

So I need one question answered as my lore savvy friend has been busy lately. What factors determine the use of umbral or astral magic? Like examples of Alisae being naturally inclined to more umbral aspected aether or the WoL prolly being more akin to astral. Is this just something people are born with or is there a basis on which determines why the person's aether is more drawn to a specific polarity? Not including otherworldly demons or anything 3rd party that would change it or influence it, but rather just as a normal person that can manipulate aether.

Umbral is passive. Astral is active. They can be of any element.

Astral Fire would be something like a fireball.
Umbral Fire would be more like smoldering coals.

Sounsyy has a lore post on this.

(07-13-2017, 09:51 PM)Unnamed Mercenary Wrote: Umbral is passive. Astral is active. They can be of any element.

It's less about what umbral and astral is and more what determines how far into either spectrum people can use them. Otherwise, a person would be able to cast umbral fire or astral fire for example.... But I imagine it's more akin to your alignment between the two, which then has me asking what determines that. But yeah, Sounsyy prolly has it :p.

(07-13-2017, 09:55 PM)Valic Wrote:
(07-13-2017, 09:51 PM)Unnamed Mercenary Wrote: Umbral is passive. Astral is active. They can be of any element.

It's less about what umbral and astral is and more what determines how far into either spectrum people can use them. Otherwise, a person would be able to cast umbral fire or astral fire for example.... But I imagine it's more akin to your alignment between the two, which then has me asking what determines that. But yeah, Sounsyy prolly has it :p.

While certain skills may be astral or umbral aspected, I would imagine that people manipulating aether often make use of both sides. One cannot exist without the other. It's important to note that the skills we have in the game's battle system are by no means the only skills or spells available within the setting. And not all spells may even be astral or umbral aspected to begin.

(07-13-2017, 10:17 PM)Unnamed Mercenary Wrote:

While certain skills may be astral or umbral aspected, I would imagine that people manipulating aether often make use of both sides. One cannot exist without the other. It's important to note that the skills we have in the game's battle system are by no means the only skills or spells available within the setting. And not all spells may even be astral or umbral aspected to begin.
Of course, I'm actually working on a graph that explains the spectrum of aether alignment but I'm missing this detail. As with certain characters also mentioned int he RDM questline or Alisae, it seems like some people can struggle in some areas like healing because their aether is naturally akin to umbral or vice versa. So while it's possible, I still don't quite get the origin or concept of someone's natural mana being aligned, or it's determining factors.

RE: General Lore Questions - L'ohba Tia - 07-13-2017

(07-13-2017, 10:33 PM)Valic Wrote:

Of course, I'm actually working on a graph that explains the spectrum of aether alignment but I'm missing this detail. As with certain characters also mentioned int he RDM questline or Alisae, it seems like some people can struggle in some areas like healing because their aether is naturally akin to umbral or vice versa. So while it's possible, I still don't quite get the origin or concept of someone's natural mana being aligned, or it's determining factors.

Your affinity with certain elements is mostly determined by where you reside, which is why monsters in hot areas spit fire and monsters in cold areas spit ice. It applies to the human races too. So an Ul'dahn-born mage would have more affinity with fire and earth, while Twelveswood-born mages are more attuned to wind, water, and earth. As for Astral and Umbral? Are there any examples of someone being more attuned to one polarity than the other? The NPC you're referring to with difficulty healing wasn't because she was more attuned to one polarity. It was because she'd never actually learned any magic before, but her bloodline gave her a natural advantage toward destructive magicks.

(07-13-2017, 11:07 PM)L Wrote:
(07-13-2017, 10:33 PM)Valic Wrote:

Your affinity with certain elements is mostly determined by where you reside, which is why monsters in hot areas spit fire and monsters in cold areas spit ice. It applies to the human races too. So an Ul'dahn-born mage would have more affinity with fire and earth, while Twelveswood-born mages are more attuned to wind, water, and earth. As for Astral and Umbral? Are there any examples of someone being more attuned to one polarity than the other? The NPC you're referring to with difficulty healing wasn't because she was more attuned to one polarity. It was because she'd never actually learned any magic before, but her bloodline gave her a natural advantage toward destructive magicks.
I distinctly recall the RDM trainer mentioning both Alisae and the girl having a particular issue in balancing healing into their skill set because of some natural reasoning. I was hoping not to give spoilers but...

Show Content

If I could find the dialogue exactly I'd post it but I can't find it anywhere online and I don't have any pictures of it x.x...

RE: General Lore Questions - Meena - 07-13-2017

Next question,

In Eorzea, what age is someone considered an adult, and not a child?

RE: General Lore Questions - Kilieit - 07-14-2017

(07-13-2017, 11:50 PM)Meena Wrote: Next question,

In Eorzea, what age is someone considered an adult, and not a child?

I'm pretty sure this is 16 in Ul'dah. I know for facts it's 16 in Sharlayan:

Quote:Recent graduates of the Studium, the twins were now sixteen summers old─old enough to be considered of age in Sharlayan society. And so, although he opposed his children’s planned journey, [their father] had not sought to bar their way.

I don't know if Limsa and Gridania even keep legal track of people's ages or not...

RE: General Lore Questions - Unnamed Mercenary - 07-14-2017

My guess would be "when you're old enough to prove you're an adult" or similar. Most of Eorzea, and likely more of the world doesn't have access to education. there's likely not a legal drinking age or a voting age in most of these places. (Well, assuming they even can vote to begin with.)

RE: General Lore Questions - Yian Kutku - 07-14-2017

Not Sounsyy, but while waiting for his much more detailed post, just something from the lorebook:

Encyclopedia Eorzea, pg 9 Wrote:In addition to the six elements, there also exist two poles -- astral and umbral -- which greatly influence the nature of the elements -- an astral charge bringing more activity, while an umbral charge resulting in more passiveness. For example, when in an astral state, fire exhibits high volatility, whereas its umbral state is characterized by dryness.

Now I'm curious what the other elements are like in their astral and umbral forms.

(07-14-2017, 12:49 AM)Unnamed Mercenary Wrote: (Well, assuming they even can vote to begin with.)

I think only Sharlayan and Ishgard post-HW has something resembling a political vote? I could be wrong.

Ul'dah is a hereditary sultanate, putting aside the bit about the power being in the hands of the Syndicate (which is technically an oligarchy?). Gridania is... I forget the term for it, but the Padjals are essentially the ruling class from birth, but not hereditary as such. And the Padjals govern by the will of the Elementals.

Limsa is an interesting case. The Admiral is chosen by the Trident, so it's more a competition of seafaring skill than political prowess, but if the pirate culture resembles our own historically, each ship is a democracy in its own right; they elect the Captain and Quartermaster, who are effectively the executive and judiciary branches on each ship. Presumably a sailor receives the right to vote when they are acknowledged as part of the crew, as opposed to spoils captured.

RE: General Lore Questions - Unnamed Mercenary - 07-14-2017

From Sounsyy's posts, I would recommend these, specifically the bolded ones. Do note that some of them contain links to other pages. It does mean going through the related links and their related links.

Crash Course in Eorzean Aetherology
- Aetherology 101 - What is Aether, the Lifestream, and the Aetherytes?
- Aetherology 102 - Corrupted Aether and Aethersickness
- Aetherology 201 - Schools of Magick, Aether Sources, Foci, and Channeling Aids
- Aetherology 202 - Essences & Permutations: A Treatise of the Six Elements
- Thaumaturgy 301 - Manipulating the Polarities Two, Astral versus Umbral
- Thaumaturgy 302 - The Religion of Thaumaturgy, The Order of Nald'thal
- Black Magic 701 - Origins of the Forbidden Black
- Conjury 402 - Hearers and the Elemental Religion of Nophica