Hydaelyn Role-Players
General Lore Questions - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Lore Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=49)
+--- Thread: General Lore Questions (/showthread.php?tid=4766)

RE: General Lore Questions - Seye Qhesu - 08-08-2017

The problem you are having is finding logic when there is none.

Magic.

It does not need logic. It was not given logic. It is just what it is. It is a fantasy setting. You can't try and apply any real world physics to it which from all the posts is what I am seeing. In this world Ice could be hot and Fire cold. Who the hell knows?! It is magic!

RE: General Lore Questions - Arashin Kujqai - 08-08-2017

(08-08-2017, 05:39 PM)Rowena Everstone Wrote: The problem you are having is finding logic when there is none.

Magic.

It does not need logic. It was not given logic. It is just what it is. It is a fantasy setting. You can't try and apply any real world physics to it which from all the posts is what I am seeing. In this world Ice could be hot and Fire cold. Who the hell knows?! It is magic!
We have enough information to still apply laws/concepts to make a concrete world, this applies to more than just magic. There's no more problems either other than the topic not changing :p, it has logic and all does in fact make sense. Just because it's make believe doesn't mean it's not relevant to understand conceptually, it's not an excuse to be ignorant to any of it either. I'm not sure how many posts you're actually reading since the last few have applied the most sense using the information we have into a firm understanding of ideas created in the setting we're given. In any case, I agree with Sounssy at this point that this topic has been going on a bit longer than should need be.

(08-08-2017, 06:51 PM)Valic Wrote:
(08-08-2017, 05:39 PM)Rowena Everstone Wrote: The problem you are having is finding logic when there is none.

Magic.

We have enough information to still apply laws/concepts to make a concrete world, this applies to more than just magic. There's no more problems either other than the topic not changing :p, it has logic and all does in fact make sense. Just because it's make believe doesn't mean it's not relevant to understand conceptually, it's not an excuse to be ignorant to any of it either. I'm not sure how many posts you're actually reading since the last few have applied the most sense using the information we have into a firm understanding of ideas created in the setting we're given. In any case, I agree with Sounssy at this point that this topic has been going on a bit longer than should need be.

It has. Perhaps move it to a new thread were you and anyone else interested can theorycraft the wonderful world of magic? Might be best to leave the LORE Question thread alone since your question has been answered.

Stick to dead horse.

TO GET THIS PLACE BACK ON TOPIC:

I would like to see more Lore on the M tribe out in the Peaks. I get there used to be two Nunhs back when the tribe was larger but as they lost numbers and land they were made to only hold one nunh. Now, the son of the Nunh that stepped down does silly things (do the questline, don't want to spoil it too much) but now I'm curious as to if the current Nunh will step down in the end or will he follow normal tradition and make him fight for the spot? I mean, he states he has taken him under his wing and there is no need for two nunhs but I feel like this is more of 'I'll make a man outta you' type thing rather then 'Beat me and you can have it'

RE: General Lore Questions - Arashin Kujqai - 08-08-2017

(08-08-2017, 07:02 PM)Rowena Everstone Wrote:

Magic.

It has. Perhaps move it to a new thread were you and anyone else interested can theorycraft the wonderful world of magic? Might be best to leave the LORE Question thread alone since your question has been answered.

Stick to dead horse.

I would like to see more Lore on the M tribe out in the Peaks. I get there used to be two Nunhs back when the tribe was larger but as they lost numbers and land they were made to only hold one nunh. Now, the son of the Nunh that stepped down does silly things (do the questline, don't want to spoil it too much) but now I'm curious as to if the current Nunh will step down in the end or will he follow normal tradition and make him fight for the spot? I mean, he states he has taken him under his wing and there is no need for two nunhs but I feel like this is more of 'I'll make a man outta you' type thing rather then 'Beat me and you can have it'

Well that's just kinda it, it's already been answered, took a few posts to finally do but there's no point. I don't think I was expecting it to take more so I didn't make a thread... not really theory crafting here either, there's source-able information posted here o-o. Also, believe it or not, magic is apart of FF14's "LORE", hence how we can discuss it's concepts making sense when put together what "LORE" we have of it. There's nothing left to move unless we keep responding like this(literally beating the dead horse as you preach).

As for your question.... I'm not sure if that's a question we have information on regarding the M tribe. While traditional tribal sun seekers normally would fight for the title, I could imagine them also applying reason to allow for another to take the throne so to speak. Say the Nuhn recognizes he is done playing his part and just forfeits the title to the other. Though tribal sun seeker culture seems to revolve around power, I imagine they still would want to establish a strong leader in the end that proves he can take the spot himself without lil nudges of help like he'd be weak. If anything it sounds like a combination of both, "I'll make you into a man, then prove to me I did right in you" idea.

(08-08-2017, 07:10 PM)Valic Wrote:
(08-08-2017, 07:02 PM)Rowena Everstone Wrote:

Magic.

Stick to dead horse.

As for your question.... I'm not sure if that's a question we have information on regarding the M tribe. While traditional tribal sun seekers normally would fight for the title, I could imagine them also applying reason to allow for another to take the throne so to speak. Say the Nuhn recognizes he is done playing his part and just forfeits the title to the other. Though tribal sun seeker culture seems to revolve around power, I imagine they still would want to establish a strong leader in the end that proves he can take the spot himself without lil nudges of help like he'd be weak. If anything it sounds like a combination of both, "I'll make you into a man, then prove to me I did right in you" idea.
See, this is where the issue is; You would think they would fight for power but when there were two Nunhs the second stepped down without a fight and exiled himself and his son from the tribe. The Current Nunh knows whose child he is and is still taking him under his wing. So, with all that has happened with the local area as well as the snake people attempting to destroy the clan for the land does this mean he is overlooking the normal suite or perhaps has his own?

RE: General Lore Questions - Valence - 08-09-2017

You seem to already answer to your own questions regarding the matter to be honest.

There was 2 nunhs, they chose not to fight when only one was needed at some point - more clearly, one chose to step down. Son is wiling to get revenge, then thinks better of it when he learns of the context and what really happened.

Maybe the current nunh is taking him under his wing. Maybe the current nunh has no other son or male miqo'te to count on. Maybe he does that just out of pity. Maybe he intends to step down when the son is deemed worthy enough, or maybe he doesn't intend to give him an easy way and make the son prove his worth in combat in spite of anything... 

It's more of the domain of speculation rather than lore facts unless we get an extension of that questline at some point... I'm not totally sure what could be answered here?

RE: General Lore Questions - Seye Qhesu - 08-09-2017

(08-09-2017, 08:39 AM)Valence Wrote: You seem to already answer to your own questions regarding the matter to be honest.

There was 2 nunhs, they chose not to fight when only one was needed at some point - more clearly, one chose to step down. Son is wiling to get revenge, then thinks better of it when he learns of the context and what really happened.

Maybe the current nunh is taking him under his wing. Maybe the current nunh has no other son or male miqo'te to count on. Maybe he does that just out of pity. Maybe he intends to step down when the son is deemed worthy enough, or maybe he doesn't intend to give him an easy way and make the son prove his worth in combat in spite of anything... 

It's more of the domain of speculation rather than lore facts unless we get an extension of that questline at some point... I'm not totally sure what could be answered here?

My main thing was trying to understand if this is just a specific instance of occurrence or if there has been other things within lore hidden away that has shown other Seekers to do this. I was always of the belief they fight to get their rank. Why just step down? The way the general lore seems to be is that they are males determined to run a pride yet they seem to show more humanity then anything with this one alone. I feel as if this actually should be a focus of Seeker lore rather then the mass 'I love to fight, I'm the strongest nunh ever!' I constantly see people play.

RE: General Lore Questions - V'aleera - 08-09-2017

(08-09-2017, 05:10 PM)Rowena Everstone Wrote: I was always of the belief they fight to get their rank.

This is a common belief, but also an incorrect one. Seeker tribes are stated to elevate the "strongest" to the position of Nunh, but when examined within the context of the lore it would be more accurate to say that they elevate the most capable; in many cases due to their hostile environment capability and fighting strength may be considered interchangeable, but ultimately every Seeker tribe has its own guidelines for what determines a Nunh and what additional functions a Nunh performs for the tribe outside his reproductive role.

RE: General Lore Questions - Seye Qhesu - 08-09-2017

(08-09-2017, 05:34 PM)Valeera Wrote:
(08-09-2017, 05:10 PM)Rowena Everstone Wrote: I was always of the belief they fight to get their rank.

This is a common belief, but also an incorrect one. Seeker tribes are stated to elevate the "strongest" to the position of Nunh, but when examined within the context of the lore it would be more accurate to say that they elevate the most capable; in many cases due to their hostile environment capability and fighting strength may be considered interchangeable, but ultimately every Seeker tribe has its own guidelines for what determines a Nunh and what additional functions a Nunh performs for the tribe outside his reproductive role.
Ah. So it isn't more lore-wise but most of the players I see doing this are just doing it by personal preference? Makes sense. The whole M-tribe sidequest line threw me for a loop. Thanks!

RE: General Lore Questions - Valence - 08-10-2017

(08-09-2017, 05:10 PM)Rowena Everstone Wrote:
(08-09-2017, 08:39 AM)Valence Wrote: You seem to already answer to your own questions regarding the matter to be honest.

My main thing was trying to understand if this is just a specific instance of occurrence or if there has been other things within lore hidden away that has shown other Seekers to do this. I was always of the belief they fight to get their rank. Why just step down? The way the general lore seems to be is that they are males determined to run a pride yet they seem to show more humanity then anything with this one alone. I feel as if this actually should be a focus of Seeker lore rather then the mass 'I love to fight, I'm the strongest nunh ever!' I constantly see people play.

Yes it seems to usually be determined by a fight or a contest of skills.

Here in the case of that tribe we were confronted to a whole other case scenario where there are too many nunhs. While we don't know if the nunhs would have to fight to determine who remains in position and who gets back to being a tia ultimately, we know that they didn't do it here and one chose to step down.

It doesn't absolve however the son, willing to challenge the nunh status, to have to go through the usual challenge of the current nunh.

What I meant above is that if we follow the general guidelines, that son would probably have to challenge the nunh like he has done so far, when he's ready. I don't see anything preventing that current nunh to step down when he's too old, or out of shape, or whatever, but I rarely see that as a necessity since most of the time a capable tia will probably show up and challenge him anyway. And the son seems determined so...

RE: General Lore Questions - Yian Kutku - 08-10-2017

(08-09-2017, 08:39 AM)Valence Wrote: Maybe the current nunh is taking him under his wing. Maybe the current nunh has no other son or male miqo'te to count on. Maybe he does that just out of pity. Maybe he intends to step down when the son is deemed worthy enough, or maybe he doesn't intend to give him an easy way and make the son prove his worth in combat in spite of anything...

I got the impression the current Nunh was perfectly happy with the tradition of having a Tia challenge him in personal combat in order to take over Nunh-ship, but the son (of the other former Nunh) was just so bad at it that he feels it's a waste of time to keep it at status quo, so he wants to train the son up to present a more respectable (and fair?) challenge.

Presumably if some other (unseen) Tia shows up, challenges the Nunh, and wins, the now-former Nunh will just shrug and go "well, that's just how it is".

I do find it a little odd that apparently the position of Nunh, as expressed in the U and M tribes, is determined solely by personal combat prowess. It's not as though the Nunh has to 1v1 solo any threats to the tribe.

I'm curious if it's possible for a challenge to the Nunh to involve... I'm blanking on the exact term, but I'm thinking more of a leadership challenge, rather than a combat challenge. Being able to lead the tribe in politics and relations with others, rather than combat.

(I was thinking of the Mass Effect Krogan krannt, but then I realized any Tia who can command enough respect among their peers will probably be able to peel off and make their own tribe anyway.)

RE: General Lore Questions - Seye Qhesu - 08-10-2017

(08-10-2017, 04:48 AM)Yian Kutku Wrote:
(08-09-2017, 08:39 AM)Valence Wrote: Maybe the current nunh is taking him under his wing. Maybe the current nunh has no other son or male miqo'te to count on. Maybe he does that just out of pity. Maybe he intends to step down when the son is deemed worthy enough, or maybe he doesn't intend to give him an easy way and make the son prove his worth in combat in spite of anything...

I got the impression the current Nunh was perfectly happy with the tradition of having a Tia challenge him in personal combat in order to take over Nunh-ship, but the son (of the other former Nunh) was just so bad at it that he feels it's a waste of time to keep it at status quo, so he wants to train the son up to present a more respectable (and fair?) challenge.

Presumably if some other (unseen) Tia shows up, challenges the Nunh, and wins, the now-former Nunh will just shrug and go "well, that's just how it is".

I do find it a little odd that apparently the position of Nunh, as expressed in the U and M tribes, is determined solely by personal combat prowess. It's not as though the Nunh has to 1v1 solo any threats to the tribe.

I'm curious if it's possible for a challenge to the Nunh to involve... I'm blanking on the exact term, but I'm thinking more of a leadership challenge, rather than a combat challenge. Being able to lead the tribe in politics and relations with others, rather than combat.

(I was thinking of the Mass Effect Krogan krannt, but then I realized any Tia who can command enough respect among their peers will probably be able to peel off and make their own tribe anyway.)
From what I recall of the lore, nunhs don't really lead the tribe. It is just a rare case with the M and U tribe. A nunh fights to gain his title to ensure strong offspring.... I think? The idea of only the strong survive, and males are supposed to be rare compared to females so the idea of a nunh that can hold his own and perhaps pass those genes on is more appealing then a weak nunh with a silver tongue.

Or I could be completely wrong.

RE: General Lore Questions - Saravahn - 08-10-2017

Per SE's own lore on the naming conventions page:

"Males do not take family names, as they are each considered the ‘origins’ of new families. In place of a family name, they are given a title that denotes their tribe, and their position within it. For a male Seeker of the Sun, there are only two positions available—breeding males (nunh – pronounced ‘noon’) and all others (tia – pronounced ‘tea-ah’). All males are born as tia. At any time in their lives, a tia can challenge the tribe nunh to battle. If the tia is victorious, he takes the nunh’s place as tribe breeding male (until he is challenged and defeated), and the nunh becomes a tia once again (if he survives the ordeal). This is done to ensure that the tribe’s offspring are of the finest stock. Depending on its size, a tribe may have multiple nunh (a ratio of one nunh per ten to fifty females is average).

There is only one other way a tia can become a nunh, and that is to leave his tribe, and start his own. This, of course, requires several females to accomplish, and most female Seekers of the Sun are rarely impressed by a male who cannot defeat a nunh.

Nunh status does not equate to leadership within a tribe, and in fact, very few nunh ever become leaders."

So the U and M tribes (that we see, there may be other U and M tribes out there) are supposed to be rare situations. That being said, the next seeker tribe we run into... my money is on the nuhn being leader again..... because SE.

Edit: bolded pertinent parts.

RE: General Lore Questions - Valence - 08-10-2017

Not necessarily rare or uncommon.

It's just that a nunh leading can happen as much as a non leading nunh can from the wording of the lore to my eyes.

RE: General Lore Questions - Sounsyy - 08-10-2017

M'rahz is still going to make M'zhet fight him for the position. That is just the M tribe's way. I found all of the pertinent lore behind the M nunhs story and put it below. I think it provides the answers to a lot of the questions I saw in the previous posts. I also included the general Seeker lore in the spoiler at the bottom for comparison. Hope this helps!

M'rahz Nunh Wrote:The fires of war spread across Gyr Abania, and soon we ourselves may be forced to enter the fray. Should it come to pass, then it will fall to me to guide my people through the flames, for I have the rare and unfortunate honor to serve not only as nunh, but as leader of my people.
M'zalikko Wrote:Our father, M'rahz Nunh, is leader of the M tribe. He's likely one of the few males you'll ever see among us. They stay only to challenge him in a bid to claim his title of nunh. Those who fail remain as tia, or leave and attempt to create tribes of their own. Under normal circumstances, there can only be one nunh in our tribe, you see. Although there was a time our lands were vast, and two nunhs led our people.

Thanks to you and yours driving the Garleans out of Castellum Velodyna, we can finally start getting things back to the way they were. In the darker days of their occupation, it was M'rahz Nunh who inspired us, who gave us the strength to live. We owe him our lives, and we'll gladly give them to defend him and our home. I doubt there has ever been a nunh before him so loved by his people.
M'zamqo Wrote:We're all equal in the eyes of M'rahz Nunh. His fair-mindedness is part of what makes him so well loved among our people.
M'rahz Nunh Wrote:In recent days, a young Seeker of the Sun has seen fit to issue me several challenges to combat. I can only assume he means to assume the role of nunh and leader of our people. Tradition dictates the strongest among us must take the position, so I gladly face any who believe they are fit to lead. The problem, however, is this challenger is decidedly weak. Yet no matter how many times I put him down, he refuses to concede.

His invitations to duel were a mild annoyance at first, but I've come to find his single-minded determination to be intriguing. In fact, I was hoping you would consider training him. I realize how absurd it sounds to help my rival-to-be, but I am curious of his potential.
M'rahz Nunh Wrote:There was a time when the M tribe was led by two Nunhs. In the common tongue it is often interpreted as chief of the tribe, but first and foremost we are a father to our people. When our hunting grounds are vast and children many, it is sometimes necessary to have a second nunh as we once did. After the Garleans invaded, however, our lands diminished as did our numbers. We agreed only a single nunh was needed.

Under normal circumstances, we would do battle, the loser abdicating their title. But his father relinquished it willingly, and left with him from the Peering Stones. We never heard from him again. M'zhet, son of M'aht. After all these years he returns. But why would his father leave him to survive on his own? His spirit burns bright as ever, but he will need more than spirit if he wishes to lead.
M'rahz Tia Wrote:A terrible tale told to me by the Vira. Twenty years ago, a miqo'te of the M tribe traveling with child happened upon their people. He claimed to be a nunh who relinquished his title to avoid creating discord within the tribe. Though no longer one of them, he planned to watch over them from afar. One fateful day, the local wildlife were afflicted with a strange illness that drove them into a frenzy. It was as if they were possessed, forming a monstrous herd storming toward the Peering Stones. He could not stand idly by and watch his former home be destroyed. And so he chose to face the beasts alone, leaving his child in the Ananta's care.

One after another the beasts fell as he drove them into a nearby cavern. Yet he would not escape unscathed, for one of the creatures struck him with poison that would soon turn him to stone. His limbs growing stiff, he used the last of his strength to collapse the cave entrance. The remaining crevice that would have allowed their escape was blocked by his cold, petrified flesh. That man was M'aht, your father.

There are those who called him a coward for leaving, but in truth he was the bravest among us. Be strong, M'zhet. You are your father's son, and one day you shall make a great nunh. We are men of the M tribe, it is only natural that we might quarrel in one way or another. Now that you know the truth, what will you do now?
M'zhet Tia Wrote:If you would have me, I wish to rejoin the M tribe. As a tia. By his blade, I swear it.
M'rahz Nunh Wrote:Very well. I welcome you once more as M'zhet Tia of the M tribe. Train hard, young one, and become the man I know your father believed you could be. I would also hold a memorial service to honor your father's sacrifice. We do not have his remains, but I pray his soul will at last be at peace. Words fail to express my gratitude, adventurer. He will make a fine nunh someday. When his time comes, I hope you will offer him support again as you did this day.

Show Content