Hydaelyn Role-Players
General Lore Questions - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Lore Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=49)
+--- Thread: General Lore Questions (/showthread.php?tid=4766)

RE: General Lore Questions - Arashin Kujqai - 09-23-2017

(09-23-2017, 02:32 PM)Gegenji Wrote: Well, if you forgo the globe itself, you could simply be a fortuneteller of some sort who uses the cards to read fortunes. I know a lot of fortuneteller characters switched to or were created with the idea that they'd use AST. If the globe is still a problem, maybe you could just hand-wave it as a fancy device to display your cards on or something?
I guess more-so I'm wondering if it can still be used as a "weapon"(or ya know, some form of healing focus/device of its own) so to speak without the soulstone or being sharlayan. Unless being a fortune teller could be handwaving the ability to use it's magic or some area around that :S?

RE: General Lore Questions - shotgunbadger - 09-23-2017

The magic is a universal concept, Sharlayan was just the first to perfect it and Isghard uses a very narrow use of it that fits their culture better. You may be clumsy with it without a proper academic teacher but there's no reason any magically gifted person can't apply the Sharlayan concepts.

RE: General Lore Questions - Arashin Kujqai - 09-23-2017

(09-23-2017, 07:14 PM)shotgunbadger Wrote: The magic is a universal concept, Sharlayan was just the first to perfect it and Isghard uses a very narrow use of it that fits their culture better. You may be clumsy with it without a proper academic teacher but there's no reason any magically gifted person can't apply the Sharlayan concepts.
I was curious just how acceptable attuning to the stars magic was for beyond that, like perhaps other cultures could develop different means of the same concepts, possibly weaker or stronger. Thank you Big Grin

RE: General Lore Questions - Teadrinker - 09-23-2017

I'm 99% positive this has been addressed elsewhere but afaik Sharlayan Astrology is Sharlayan Astrology. There is no other (official) version of it at this time.

Ishgardian Astrology is starcharts and tracking their movements, mostly to predict movements of the Dravanian Horde. It did not involve aether or starglobes.

You can learn it by being taught by someone from Sharlayan, being Sharlayan, or by attending the Athenaeum Astrologicum in Ishgard. 

Show Content

RE: General Lore Questions - Arashin Kujqai - 09-24-2017

(09-23-2017, 09:50 PM)Teadrinker Wrote: I'm 99% positive this has been addressed elsewhere but afaik Sharlayan Astrology is Sharlayan Astrology. There is no other (official) version of it at this time.

Ishgardian Astrology is starcharts and tracking their movements, mostly to predict movements of the Dravanian Horde. It did not involve aether or starglobes.

You can learn it by being taught by someone from Sharlayan, being Sharlayan, or by attending the Athenaeum Astrologicum in Ishgard. 

Show Content
That last one is restricted to an extent isn't it? I was going by http://kilieit.tumblr.com/post/159315531877/just-how-obscure-is-that-job-crystal-in-lore for the time and it makes it sound pretty restricting.If you attend, I imagine they're going to expect you to be Sharlayan or have something in common with them without any actual intent to use the method for inflicting harm and etc? I'm mostly trying to broaden that range but if there's no loops around it :S idk. Trying to avoid the sharlayan concept all around.

RE: General Lore Questions - Unnamed Mercenary - 09-24-2017

(09-24-2017, 06:42 AM)Arashin Kujqai Wrote:
(09-23-2017, 09:50 PM)Teadrinker Wrote: I'm 99% positive this has been addressed elsewhere but afaik Sharlayan Astrology is Sharlayan Astrology. There is no other (official) version of it at this time.

Show Content
That last one is restricted to an extent isn't it? I was going by http://kilieit.tumblr.com/post/159315531877/just-how-obscure-is-that-job-crystal-in-lore for the time and it makes it sound pretty restricting.If you attend, I imagine they're going to expect you to be Sharlayan or have something in common with them without any actual intent to use the method for inflicting harm and etc? I'm mostly trying to broaden that range but if there's no loops around it :S idk. Trying to avoid the sharlayan concept all around.

RE: bolded text, no. That was the whole point of the 3.0 quests.

That tumblr post was also written before Stormblood and the lore within. While it holds true for many of the jobs, things can and occasionally change per expansion/patch. Focusing on Astrologian in particular, the Heavensward AST quests were all about how Sharalayan wanted to restrict Astromancy and Leveva's struggles to get Ishgard to allow her to teach it. In 4.0, she has students aside from Jannequinard and the player character, and they delve into the story of one such student and his reasons for wanting to learn the Sharlayan style of astromancy.

RE: General Lore Questions - Valence - 09-24-2017

With most jobs, except a few like machinist/DRK/Samurai, and even then... they are often restricted to one single teacher and/or a very recent opening (like AST). Else, you just have to go the hard way and learn it yourself through arduous studies looking for often forbidden texts and books in libraries and whatnot.

It's not that some jobs are impossible to roleplay, it's mostly their various degrees of uniqueness.

RE: General Lore Questions - Teadrinker - 09-24-2017

(09-24-2017, 11:42 AM)Unnamed Mercenary Wrote:
(09-24-2017, 06:42 AM)Arashin Kujqai Wrote:

Show Content

RE: bolded text, no. That was the whole point of the 3.0 quests.

That tumblr post was also written before Stormblood and the lore within. While it holds true for many of the jobs, things can and occasionally change per expansion/patch. Focusing on Astrologian in particular, the Heavensward AST quests were all about how Sharalayan wanted to restrict Astromancy and Leveva's struggles to get Ishgard to allow her  to teach it. In 4.0, she has students aside from Jannequinard and the player character, and they delve into the story of one such student and his reasons for wanting to learn the Sharlayan style of astromancy.

This touches on something a bit shaky that doesn't really get addressed in any quest. I don't think Leveva is at the Athenaeum Astrologicum handing out soul crystals. I'm pretty sure this is what he's getting at but apologies if I'm misreading.

That leaves the questions of "What is the soul crystal for? What does it do? Does it gate spells like BLM/WHM etc."  Red Mage kinda falls into this category right now as well where it appears you can pick up fundamentals and begin learning the discipline without possessing a soul crystal.

So is it possible that people go from the Athenaeum Astrologicum and spread what they have been taught? Absolutely. Would the Old World be pleased about this? Absolutely not considering the leading factions in place believe the majority of the rest of the world to be made up of 'barbarians' who do nothing but war with each other. The rest is pretty much gray area.

Show Content

RE: General Lore Questions - Kilieit - 09-24-2017

I know I need to update that tumblr post (or, more accurately, come out with a new edition of it) but I haven't looked into the 60-70 quests for everything enough yet... and I don't want to make an authoritative post where I'm talking out of my ass, lol.

With regards to soul crystal purposes, I remember a while ago having a conversation about it and we came out with three rough categories of soul crystal as per the quests:

Catalytic: allows the person to do something usually out of their abilities (EG: DRK crystal enabling the manifestation of a Darkside)

Inhibitive: allows the person to use magic that would usually be too powerful for them to wield safely (EG: BLM crystal enabling the person to wield Fire+ without combusting)

Tutoring: solely speeds the acquisition of knowledge for an appropriately attuned soul (EG: PLD soul crystal being given to prospective trainees to speed their learning)

What I didn't ever do was definitively go through the whole list of soul crystals and figure out what category they all fall into...

RE: General Lore Questions - Teadrinker - 09-24-2017

(09-24-2017, 02:59 PM)Kilieit Wrote: What I didn't ever do was definitively go through the whole list of soul crystals and figure out what category they all fall into...

I don't think anyone comprehensively can with any authority without using conjecture. We just don't have that information. Hence why I labeled what I did under "My Dumb Opinion."

To me, if any Joe Schmo could learn time magic with no limitations Eorzea would have exploded a long time ago. Same thing with pretty much any advanced field of magic which is why these classes are so testy to RP.

RE: General Lore Questions - Arashin Kujqai - 09-24-2017

Ya know I just realized in my own nonexistant self awareness that, that guide is more specifically to obtaining soul crystals legally/acceptably rather than taking on the job/class/discipline itself. I suppose there is a bit of leniency around astromancy then, just with some limitations like blm's probably shouldn't go around casting flares and etc.

Ty for the info o/

(09-24-2017, 11:42 AM)Unnamed Mercenary Wrote: RE: bolded text, no. That was the whole point of the 3.0 quests.

That tumblr post was also written before Stormblood and the lore within. While it holds true for many of the jobs, things can and occasionally change per expansion/patch. Focusing on Astrologian in particular, the Heavensward AST quests were all about how Sharalayan wanted to restrict Astromancy and Leveva's struggles to get Ishgard to allow her to teach it. In 4.0, she has students aside from Jannequinard and the player character, and they delve into the story of one such student and his reasons for wanting to learn the Sharlayan style of astromancy.

Kinda now noticing how alike MCH and AST's questline was in that regards... An antagonist doesn't like or wants to restrict the teachings/class and your char becomes the catalyst to keep that from happening and even expands the job.

RE: General Lore Questions - zaviire - 10-03-2017

In the process of poking around the Gamer Escape wiki thing for FFXIV for unrelated lore info, I happened across the names of three organizations that seem pretty interesting: Azeyma's Shields, The Horn and Hand, and the Zer'maat Five. While the former two have blurbs that briefly give a run-down of what they did and the like, the last of those three doesn't seem to have anything other than a note that it's a criminal organization. I'm assuming these organizations were never brought up outside of 1.0... But is there any more information available about them? Particularly about the Zer'maat Five? (Or the alternative: is Gamer Escape pulling my leg here and these organizations never actually existed? I would be sad if that was the case... I loved stuff like the Alacran's role in the GLD quests.)

RE: General Lore Questions - Unnamed Mercenary - 10-03-2017

(10-03-2017, 12:58 AM)zaviire Wrote: In the process of poking around the Gamer Escape wiki thing for FFXIV for unrelated lore info, I happened across the names of three organizations that seem pretty interesting: Azeyma's Shields, The Horn and Hand, and the Zer'maat Five. While the former two have blurbs that briefly give a run-down of what they did and the like, the last of those three doesn't seem to have anything other than a note that it's a criminal organization. I'm assuming these organizations were never brought up outside of 1.0... But is there any more information available about them? Particularly about the Zer'maat Five? (Or the alternative: is Gamer Escape pulling my leg here and these organizations never actually existed? I would be sad if that was the case... I loved stuff like the Alacran's role in the GLD quests.)

While I unfortunately cannot answer the actual lore questions, I can vouch for Gamer Escape having their lore down. They do a lot of fact-checking and some of their pages are things ripped from the client or official media. It could have also been a page they lost when their database got ransomeware-encrypted.

Zer'Maat Five related levequest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=193tAU5jY3s

RE: General Lore Questions - Sounsyy - 10-03-2017

(10-03-2017, 12:58 AM)zaviire Wrote: In the process of poking around the Gamer Escape wiki thing for FFXIV for unrelated lore info, I happened across the names of three organizations that seem pretty interesting: Azeyma's Shields, The Horn and Hand, and the Zer'maat Five. While the former two have blurbs that briefly give a run-down of what they did and the like, the last of those three doesn't seem to have anything other than a note that it's a criminal organization. I'm assuming these organizations were never brought up outside of 1.0... But is there any more information available about them? Particularly about the Zer'maat Five? (Or the alternative: is Gamer Escape pulling my leg here and these organizations never actually existed? I would be sad if that was the case... I loved stuff like the Alacran's role in the GLD quests.)

Don't worry, Gamerescape is quite reliable. These organizations all existed (and the game still gives a few scattered references to them in 2.0 if you know where to look).

You can read up on the Zer'maat Five in my post on them here!

Gamerescape gives a pretty solid overview on the Horn and Hand and Azeyma's Shields (there was also a third organization called the Brotherhood of the Broken Blade), but I'll drop more lore on them below the spoiler tag! In 1.0, these organizations were three factions that occasionally hired adventurers discreetly to handle more sensitive missions. In order to prove your worth, you had to buy these missions with faction points.

Show Content

RE: General Lore Questions - Kallera - 10-05-2017

The blast that destroyed Bozja(sp?) Citadel, and the blast that leveled the Isle of Val. Was it proven that they were different phenomena, or could they be the same?