Hydaelyn Role-Players
General Lore Questions - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Lore Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=49)
+--- Thread: General Lore Questions (/showthread.php?tid=4766)

RE: General Lore Questions - Sounsyy - 11-15-2017

(11-15-2017, 08:16 PM)Vyce Wrote:
(11-14-2017, 05:28 AM)Valence Wrote: BLM WoL isn't the only one soulstone Thumbsup

Last I was aware, the Sha((n))totto was the only remaining BLM soulstone. Maybe recent lore has adjusted that, but it was very heavily debated in 2015 that on top being completely illegal to practice Black and White magics, one had to at least come in contact with that specific stone to do it, if not have it on their person to prevent self destruction.

I would recommend checking out this post which explores the myths surrounding the Gem of Shatotto.

In short, the Gem of the Shatotto appears in lore as a singular entity likely because it's the proper noun subject of various myths and faerie tales and likely not because it was the only soul crystal to be created for a nation of black mages whose powers and magicks well outstripped what Shatotto accomplished in her lifetime.

RE: General Lore Questions - Arashin Kujqai - 11-21-2017

So, I just did 30-50 DRK quests (not including the one that introduces Sidurgu). I'm a lil confused with how they played out the quests here...

It was to my understanding that Fray is essentially your dark subconscious and suppressed hate /righteousness. That only you could see him because "he is you" so to speak. Throughout some of the quests they hint that through things he says but NPC's respond to you as if you said them... Earlier on NPC's look to Fray as if he's there and later on it's as if he's not at all. Then by level 50 he shows up in a part of Coerthas with several wounded guards around him and makes the big reveal. Then you essentially accept the darkness as apart of you to use it for good etc etc...

Correct me where I'm wrong on any of this, but I'm mostly unsure about a particular few things.

1. Is Fray at all visible to anyone from the point you first find him sitting down unconscious to the final battle? Feels like after you pass out from the soul crystal, he's just your subconscious.

2. What was the deal on quest 50, did Fray hut the knights or was it to imply "you" did? If it's the latter, how when you were out killing other things as you were asked to...

3. What was fatiguing Fray from quests 45-50? He kept staggering a bunch randomly saying it was nothing.

4. There's a point he mentions some woman on a boat out in sea, which I looked at the wiki was a reference to probably leviathan's battle... Was this someone we as WoL know of?

Also if most of these will be answered in future quests, feel free to mark them as spoilers. Just trying to get my grasp of things before I dive any further in the quests lol.

RE: General Lore Questions - Kieron Lohengrin - 11-21-2017

http://haillenarte.tumblr.com/post/162480623495/dark-knight-quests-part-i

http://haillenarte.tumblr.com/post/162480622640/dark-knight-quests-part-ii

You have the ability to manifest your aether in physical forms visible to others. This becomes more of a plot point in the 60-70 jobquests.

So it's just bad translation?... Looks like an entirely different story with those two quests alone changed. Considering all the expressions Fray(you) make in 50 too.... makes so much sense. So, what's the English version's story supposed to be then? Or is it still supposed to be the same, just badly translated?

RE: General Lore Questions - Sounsyy - 11-21-2017

(11-21-2017, 01:07 AM)Arashin Kujqai Wrote: So, what's the English version's story supposed to be then? Or is it still supposed to be the same, just badly translated?

Not a "bad" translation, per say. That's not really how the localization teams work. Each language alters the text somewhat to try to appeal more specifically to their intended audience, so long as the mechanical aspects of the storyline remains intact each team can add their own influence to the telling. I imagine the English localization team wanted to go with a more Fight Club-inspired ambiguity to Fray's realness. Sometimes, though, other translations (usually JP) hit the mark better when the continuation of the storyline is written pulls from aspects of said earlier JP version, whereas in the EN it may come out of left field because that version didn't cover it in as much detail. This is where most localization gripes tend to stem from (eg Midgardsormr's dialogue).

(11-21-2017, 12:06 PM)Sounsyy Wrote:
(11-21-2017, 01:07 AM)Arashin Kujqai Wrote: So, what's the English version's story supposed to be then? Or is it still supposed to be the same, just badly translated?

Not a "bad" translation, per say. That's not really how the localization teams work. Each language alters the text somewhat to try to appeal more specifically to their intended audience, so long as the mechanical aspects of the storyline remains intact each team can add their own influence to the telling. I imagine the English localization team wanted to go with a more Fight Club-inspired ambiguity to Fray's realness. Sometimes, though, other translations (usually JP) hit the mark better when the continuation of the storyline is written pulls from aspects of said earlier JP version, whereas in the EN it may come out of left field because that version didn't cover it in as much detail. This is where most localization gripes tend to stem from (eg Midgardsormr's dialogue).
I mean, minor adjustments for barriers in language I would understand, like the implication of how romantic some of his dialogue sounds in the JP version but it sounds as if the JP version made him as the WoL's best friend and hidden desire to just adventure.... which is something I've always been fascinated at with every time the WoL has to do some big quest or something. Our version sounds more like.. well like you said, fight club lol. Some hefty changes imo x.x;, maybe not bad but certainly much different lol. Some of the scenes make so little sense given how chars were animated too. Thought it was weird for Fray to turn his head at the random ishgardian girl mid scene without anything to do with her or even talking about them lol.

RE: General Lore Questions - Arashin Kujqai - 11-28-2017

Just finished 60-70 DRK questline for anyone that doesn't want spoilers, I'm about to dish out some.

Is it just because the WoL's been through so much and so powerful that he's having his aether/emotions manifested? It seems like no one else recognizes this but the WoL and it kinda sounds like he's putting a burden on others in the process. Fray being an exception from the fact that Fray was an actual person(I think?), but Myste shows up killing chocobos/beasts and it seems to just be another mystery solved by the end of it all. I understand the symbolism throughout the quests, but I'm curious if it's just WoL specific to the idea of spawning these creations from severe emotional trauma as a dark knight. Or is this just normal for a dark knight to find their emotions come to life and appear as this physical form from our emotions/mind?

RE: General Lore Questions - LiadansWhisper - 11-28-2017

You could always put it behind spoiler tags.

RE: General Lore Questions - Stormblade - 12-01-2017

A few random questions;

- Do pugilists use aether in their attacks? Monks clearly do, after unlocking their chakras, but does that mean a pugilist cannot, because their chakras would be closed?

- Is there such a thing as 'antimagic'? Ways to prevent casters from using spells in a certain area (like a jail cell?), or shackles that prevent gathering aether, or something along those lines?

- Can objects be imbued with aether so as to mimic spells? I don't mean Aetherial gear, which as far as I know just 'a shield, but stronger', but something along the lines of a THM embuing fire-aspected aether into a sword, and then selling the sword to someone, and they have a flaming sword (despite not being a THM).

- Are chocobos eaten? Or is it like horses, where some cultures do eat them, but it's generally seen as not a thing you do? I don't remember seeing any cows - is there a milk-producing livestock, or one that's regularly slaughtered for meat?

- For Hellsguard, it says that extra children are sent off to become mercenaries or whatnot, since the Spines can't support a growing population. Is that done while they're still kids, so you have 10-year old Roegadyn looking for work, or do they wait for adulthood? The former seems somewhat cruel, but the latter seems illogical if the problem is resources - you'd be feeding them through puberty and then getting rid of them once they're productive.

- For miqo'te, is it that Seekers have settlements that has a few males and a bunch of females in one general location, and then Keepers with small villages made entirely of women/children and all the males roam between them, stopping only long enough to mate a few times before moving on to the next village? I thought this was the case, but I've been seeing some Keeper RPers who seem to have them similar to Seekers where everyone lives together all the time, and the only difference is the women are in charge.

RE: General Lore Questions - Kallera - 12-01-2017

(11-21-2017, 12:06 PM)Sounsyy Wrote:

Huh. They really do sounds like two different quests altogether.

I swear localization sounds more and more like that pic where the person intentionally doesn’t play tic tac toe right.

RE: General Lore Questions - Sounsyy - 12-01-2017

I'm at work right now, so I can't go into deeper detail until later but I can give some short answers Stormblade.

1. All classes and jobs utilize aether in some way and pugilist isn't any different. Using aether isn't necessary for fistfighting, but pugilists at the Ul'dahn guild do use it to power their strikes. Something I want to add is that Ul'dahn pugilism and Ala Mhigan monks aren't related. "Chakras" is an Ala Mhigan-centric belief, so while the monkhood says all people have these chakras just unable to open them, the rest of Eorzea may or may not be aware of their existence.

2. I wouldn't call it "anti-magic" per say, but yes. There are materials, rooms, and wards which dampen the effects of magic as well as limit one's ability to wield it. Gold plating, for example, dampens the effects of magic. Duskwight Pomanders are another example. I thought there was evidence for anti-magic wards on jail cells but I couldn't find it on a quick search.

3. Tentatively, yes. Items can be cursed or ensorcelled, so there's no reason to say it can't be done. For example, Raubahn's sword is actually cursed with flame. If someone lacks the strength to wield it, they will burst into flame, however, if they can overcome the sword's power, they can wield the flame as Raubahn does.

4. Chocobos can be eaten, but are not typically used as a food source. A hunter in Tailfeather eats a chocobo during that questline and it doesn't go over well. Chocobos are already rare creatures as it is.

- Chocobo Lore

That said, there are livestock animals in Eorzea as well. Cows, sheep, chickens, pigs, aldgoats, aurochs, etc are all canon farm animals. Cow and aldgoat milk are the two most popular Eorzean milk-producers.

5. Sadly, we don't have more lore on that. We don't know when or just how frequently Hellsguard are sent away. We just know that it happens. So that's up to individual player headcanon.

6. In lore, Keeper of the Moon males are wanderers and rarely stay in any one community for an extended period of time.

Muah Lihzeh Wrote:The men of the Keepers of the Moon live a wanderer's life, for they are at their best in small doses. Women and children keep the hearth, ply various trades, and accept game and visits from the menfolk. But King Poach denies women this gods-given rule over matters of family. He forces women to live with him, forbids them to see their sisters, mothers, aunts. Most unnaturally, they lie with him and him alone! So terrible are their crimes that all Keepers of the Moon feel the suspicion and fear cast their way.
Masha Mhakaracca Wrote:I grew up in a household as the third daughter of five. As you likely already know, we Keepers of the Moon are not raised with a father, so it was just my mother with us at home. Now, of course, I live on my own. After one of my older sisters moved to Ul'dah, I decided to follow her example and leave the Black Shroud.

Hope this helps! ^^ I'll try to come back later and edit in more info and sources.

RE: General Lore Questions - Gegenji - 12-01-2017

(12-01-2017, 08:31 AM)Sounsyy Wrote: 4. Chocobos can be eaten, but are not typically used as a food source. A hunter in Tailfeather eats a chocobo during that questline and it doesn't go over well. Chocobos are already rare creatures as it is.

- Chocobo Lore

I may be remembering incorrectly, but I could've sworn there were a couple instances of chocobo-eating in that zone.

The one being mentioned here was when an already notorious hunter (one who got ostracized from the camp for killing a female chocobo with eggs) snatched up and ate the baby chocobo that was being raised by one of the Tailfeather residents (named... Gyshal, I believe?). So I wonder if it's actually matter of a distaste for eating chocobo and more the fact that the hunter basically ate someone's pet.

The other one that comes to mind, for me, is the quest chain where the little dragon whelp is trying all sorts of foods. And one of those quests involved a hunter who provides you with some fried chocobo wings or something of that nature. The whelp doesn't much care for it, but it seemed like the hunter himself did not really mind eating chocobo. I don't quite recall what the hunter said, but I don't believe there was any disdain or distaste regarding the idea.

RE: General Lore Questions - Valence - 12-01-2017

Quote:- Is there such a thing as 'antimagic'? Ways to prevent casters from using spells in a certain area (like a jail cell?), or shackles that prevent gathering aether, or something along those lines?

To add a bit on what Sounssy already said, magic conductivity (or aetherial conductivity) is a thing. Certain materials like gold dampen it to various degrees, which is why the newest models of garlean armored Reapers are gilded. Certain materials like bone or electrum amplify and conduct aether, however, and are used in thaumarturgic staffs.

Quote:- For miqo'te, is it that Seekers have settlements that has a few males and a bunch of females in one general location, and then Keepers with small villages made entirely of women/children and all the males roam between them, stopping only long enough to mate a few times before moving on to the next village? I thought this was the case, but I've been seeing some Keeper RPers who seem to have them similar to Seekers where everyone lives together all the time, and the only difference is the women are in charge.

Mostly yes, but you might want to really put the emphasis on small villages for Keepers. And that's usually already pretty big for Keepers. They tend to gather between a handful of families that otherwise live by themselves, mothers and daughters mostly, or the occasional son that has yet to reach a certain age before going off wandering. Keepers are a lonesome bunch.

The only exception to this is the Coeurlclaw clan, that is basically living like a Seeker tribe with a single male at the top, being the Coeurclaw King - or a few males actually considering recent SB additions if I remember right - with the difference being mostly traditions (criminal) and females living here mostly through coercition or for a lack of a better choice.

RE: General Lore Questions - Sounsyy - 12-01-2017

A Taste of the Peculiar Wrote:You come across a small campsite in the Chocobo Forest, and as luck would have it, a meal slow roasting over an open flame. You speak with Leonulfe, the chef of the seemingly delectable dish, and he agrees to share some with you. In return, he asks that you obtain chocobo meat that he can prepare another serving for later. Slay a wild chocobo for its meat.

This is the quest you're referencing I think Gegenji. So, it would seem wild chocobos may be eaten by Chocobo Forest residents? I'm still not sure it's something incredibly common, especially outside the Dravanian forelands, where chocobos are a rare and expensive commodity given their very recent embargo.

If your chocobo dies though, I guess you could always eat it.

RE: General Lore Questions - Gegenji - 12-01-2017

(12-01-2017, 10:10 AM)Sounsyy Wrote:
A Taste of the Peculiar Wrote:You come across a small campsite in the Chocobo Forest, and as luck would have it, a meal slow roasting over an open flame. You speak with Leonulfe, the chef of the seemingly delectable dish, and he agrees to share some with you. In return, he asks that you obtain chocobo meat that he can prepare another serving for later. Slay a wild chocobo for its meat.

This is the quest you're referencing I think Gegenji. So, it would seem wild chocobos may be eaten by Chocobo Forest residents? I'm still not sure it's something incredibly common, especially outside the Dravanian forelands, where chocobos are a rare and expensive commodity given their very recent rarity.

If your chocobo dies though, I guess you could always eat it.

That's the one! But yeah, it does seem that - in the general sense - they are very likely treated like horses in that they are generally not eaten. It just doesn't mean they can't be if necessary (or you're in a place ripe with them like Chocobo Forest). Smile