Hydaelyn Role-Players
General Lore Questions - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Lore Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=49)
+--- Thread: General Lore Questions (/showthread.php?tid=4766)

RE: General Lore Questions - Unnamed Mercenary - 01-06-2018

(01-06-2018, 08:29 PM)Kairu Wrote: So it's like how you don't need a parachute to skydive, so long as you're okay with only doing it the one time?

More like, the BLM soulstone gives you access to knowledge nobody has been able to reverse engineer. Shatotto would have needed to have "figured it out" as the historical first Black Mage, but her exact methods have become lost.

Like the other mage-job soulstones, it's not that it's impossible to do, but the knowledge of how to do so without having a soulstone effectively synced with their mind.

So more like knowing how to operate the parachute while skydiving. Or having a magical parachute that would engage for the caster when it was time.

RE: General Lore Questions - Valence - 01-07-2018

(01-06-2018, 08:29 PM)Kairu Wrote: So it's like how you don't need a parachute to skydive, so long as you're okay with only doing it the one time?

For BLM yes. I don't remember any specific black mage spell besides maybe Foul that wasn't used by soulstone-less wanabe black mages in the quests. They cast Flare a lot for example. But Foul is too recent with SB to have a clear idea about it. Maybe Meteor is specific to the soulstone though? Speaking about the LB here of course, not the grand Meteor/calamity of the lvl70 quest series.

For MCH however for example, no. You need the aetherotransformer to convert your aether into levin aspected aether so it can power your abilities.

RE: General Lore Questions - Kairu - 01-19-2018

How do linkshells/pearls work in lore?

In the game, they create a channel where everyone can speak and listen. But during the storyline, they seem to act more like a phone - one person dials another person, and they speak only to each other. Is that the case?

Also, do we know what linkpearls look like? Do they get inserted into the ear like earplugs or headphones, or are they like earrings and they just dangle near the ear? Can you wear two at the same time (one in each ear)?

Also, do they run off aether? The Garleans seem to have a different communication system - is that because they can't use magic, and thus can't 'power' a link pearl?

RE: General Lore Questions - Unnamed Mercenary - 01-19-2018

There's a fuller writeup here, Sounsyy's Linkpearl Lore Post , but lemme answer what I can.

(01-19-2018, 04:11 AM)Kairu Wrote: How do linkshells/pearls work in lore?

Lorecast 9 - Fernehalwes Wrote:“As you know, I played and worked on Final Fantasy XI. Even back then, I did think that linkpearls just seemed so convenient, but no one ever explained them. So, back when I joined XIV—this was before 1.0 launch, when Iwao-san did the lore—I told him we should have an explanation.

Conveniently, we already had aether. Everything is aether and there’s this sea of aether out in the world and there’s the Lifestream and that’s how people can use aetherytes and so on. Why not have linkpearls follow this reasoning?

We’ve explained before that aetherytes act as beacons. Your body gets drawn towards these beacons so you don’t get pulled into the Lifestream and drift off forever. Linkpearls are very tiny beacons—not ones you could use to teleport—but you can speak into them and then that gets converted into a…packet…of aetherial disturbance which shoots out into the world and is drawn to another beacon that’s been assigned to the same thing, whereby it flows into the beacon and is transformed out. So these packets of disturbed aether fly throughout the world, and they can be disrupted by any other energy, or intercepted. The Garleans are intercepting them—remember Minfilia knew she was probably being listened to—and then you have Garlean technology which can jam linkpearls.

So Iwao-san and I were like, ‘That works. That’s a good idea.’ And then we never got around to explaining it. But we actually decided on it like seven years ago!”

(01-19-2018, 04:11 AM)Kairu Wrote: In the game, they create a channel where everyone can speak and listen. But during the storyline, they seem to act more like a phone - one person dials another person, and they speak only to each other. Is that the case?

Somewhat stated above, but the linkpearl will broadcast to/from the entire linkshell. But who's to say a linkshell couldn't have just been two pearls? From my perspective, the "dialing in" part is more an activation, like talking into the linkpearl. From there, someone needs to be listening. It's also why we tend to see them ask/request for a person on the other end.

(01-19-2018, 04:11 AM)Kairu Wrote: Also, do we know what linkpearls look like? Do they get inserted into the ear like earplugs or headphones, or are they like earrings and they just dangle near the ear? Can you wear two at the same time (one in each ear)?

“Linkpearls” are the many individual baubles that belong to a collective system of pearls called a “linkshell.”

They should...look like a pearl, much like the icons. The RPC uses them in some of the forum theme too!

(01-19-2018, 04:11 AM)Kairu Wrote: Also, do they run off aether? The Garleans seem to have a different communication system - is that because they can't use magic, and thus can't 'power' a link pearl?

They do run off aether, but anyone can use them. It's not powered by the user. As stated in the snipped above, Garleans can and do make use of them, including jamming them. The Garleans likely have -other- communication methods as well, similar to how players can also send letters. Based on some of the cutscenes, they probably have some form of radio as well.

RE: General Lore Questions - Valence - 01-20-2018

Near the end of the ARR storyline in Mor Dhona, Cid brings you with him to design an EM jammer able to jamm through garlean electromagnetic transmitters, which are the main source of communication for garleans in general.

We only learned recently during SB that garleans were able to jamm linkpearls too, but it's unclear how they do that.

RE: General Lore Questions - Zanther - 01-23-2018

Ok, since it's a simplish question and all (and a follow-up question):

Would it be feasible to make a one-time use Null Stone lore-wise? Have a Voidsent I want to be destroyed but as far as we know, only the Null Stone can do such a thing. So...would it be possible to like Rp going into Mhach find out how one was possibly made (find out it is impossible to make a permanent one with today's knowledge but able to make a temporary) and still fit within lore for the most part? Company likes to be as close to lore as we can be. Otherwise, I may just have to alter it a bit.

2nd Question: Where in Eorzea (or the Far East) would be a good spot to rp being inside of Mhach since going inside the raid isn't a feasible option?

RE: General Lore Questions - Sounsyy - 01-23-2018

(01-23-2018, 01:49 PM)Zanther Wrote: Would it be feasible to make a one-time use Null Stone lore-wise? Have a Voidsent I want to be destroyed but as far as we know, only the Null Stone can do such a thing. So...would it be possible to like Rp going into Mhach find out how one was possibly made (find out it is impossible to make a permanent one with today's knowledge but able to make a temporary) and still fit within lore for the most part?

From what we know about the Nullstone, Mhach only ever made one Nullstone and it was seen as a last resort. Whatever knowledge was used to create it has likely been lost or destroyed.

That said, you can "kill" a voidsent on this physical plane without using the Nullstone. The Nullstone was more of a safeguard to keep voidsent under their summoner's command. If a voidsent went against its summoner's will, the black mage could use the Nullstone to instantly null their contract and obliterate the voidsent completely, no matter how strong it was. Without the Nullstone, it might take several magi to subdue the voidsent depending on its strength.

(01-23-2018, 02:04 PM)Sounsyy Wrote:
(01-23-2018, 01:49 PM)Zanther Wrote: Would it be feasible to make a one-time use Null Stone lore-wise? Have a Voidsent I want to be destroyed but as far as we know, only the Null Stone can do such a thing. So...would it be possible to like Rp going into Mhach find out how one was possibly made (find out it is impossible to make a permanent one with today's knowledge but able to make a temporary) and still fit within lore for the most part?

From what we know about the Nullstone, Mhach only ever made one Nullstone and it was seen as a last resort. Whatever knowledge was used to create it has likely been lost or destroyed.

That said, you can "kill" a voidsent on this physical plane without using the Nullstone. The Nullstone was more of a safeguard to keep voidsent under their summoner's command. If a voidsent went against its summoner's will, the black mage could use the Nullstone to instantly null their contract and obliterate the voidsent completely, no matter how strong it was. Without the Nullstone, it might take several magi to subdue the voidsent depending on its strength.

I had wondered about that and does make sense. Think I have an idea that will still work and does still fit with what I do but doesn't require the making of even a Temp Null stone but could entail the use of magic and a focus to produce a similar effect. Basically sending it back and prevent it from ever being able to come back to the realm.

RE: General Lore Questions - Gegenji - 01-23-2018

(01-23-2018, 03:19 PM)Zanther Wrote:
(01-23-2018, 02:04 PM)Sounsyy Wrote:

I had wondered about that and does make sense. Think I have an idea that will still work and does still fit with what I do but doesn't require the making of even a Temp Null stone but could entail the use of magic and a focus to produce a similar effect. Basically sending it back and prevent it from ever being able to come back to the realm.

A random thought occurred to me for this. If you're trying to destroy it and keep it from ever returning, couldn't you use White Auracite? It works on Ascians, who basically do the same sort of thing. Or is the method in which the Voidsent return to the void different from what Ascians do?

RE: General Lore Questions - Sounsyy - 01-23-2018

White Auracite, in theory, could totally work. You'd just have to have enough aether present at the time to funnel into the auracite to kill the voidsent. Assuming this is an FC event you would probably have enough people present to supply the aether on the fly.

Which was going to be my backup plan (or was going to use it as one of the main ingredients for my temp stone) since it would be easy enough to fit in lore wise and the route I'll be going with this now.

What area would be good to rp as if we were in the actual city of Mhach though?

RE: General Lore Questions - Valence - 01-23-2018

You would have to trick a voidsent into getting in your auracyte in the first place though. Nabriales get caught in there precisely when the WoL and the Scions overcome his physical manifestation and kill him, forcing him to retreat into aetherial form, which gets directly caught in the stone. 

The idea behind white auracyte was to entrap and kill an aetherial form of something that couldn't just die when killed in his physical form...

To play Mhach with what you have, the South Shroud around camp tranquil could do just fine. Or the west area in Mor Dhona as well maybe. Anything with swamps really.

(01-23-2018, 07:29 PM)Valence Wrote: You would have to trick a voidsent into getting in your auracyte in the first place though. Nabriales get caught in there precisely when the WoL and the Scions overcome his physical manifestation and kill him, forcing him to retreat into aetherial form, which gets directly caught in the stone. 

The idea behind white auracyte was to entrap and kill an aetherial form of something that couldn't just die when killed in his physical form...

To play Mhach with what you have, the South Shroud around camp tranquil could do just fine. Or the west area in Mor Dhona as well maybe. Anything with swamps really.

Why was I forgetting about South Shroud? Tbh, that would be a great place, especially near Lost City. Other spot was possibly the cabin area in the Peaks but would like to give everyone access (cause not all have SB access on alts). As for tricking it, it's an Imp in a Jar type thing, so fairly easy to have it where we want (its seal is weakening that preventing it from escaping) so easy to set up, just hope it will work lol Smile

RE: General Lore Questions - foxfirestorm - 01-29-2018

(01-19-2018, 04:11 AM)Kairu Wrote: How do linkshells/pearls work in lore?

In the game, they create a channel where everyone can speak and listen. But during the storyline, they seem to act more like a phone - one person dials another person, and they speak only to each other. Is that the case?

Also, do we know what linkpearls look like? Do they get inserted into the ear like earplugs or headphones, or are they like earrings and they just dangle near the ear? Can you wear two at the same time (one in each ear)?

Also, do they run off aether? The Garleans seem to have a different communication system - is that because they can't use magic, and thus can't 'power' a link pearl?

(01-19-2018, 04:46 AM)Unnamed Mercenary Wrote: <snip>

(01-19-2018, 04:11 AM)Kairu Wrote: Also, do they run off aether? The Garleans seem to have a different communication system - is that because they can't use magic, and thus can't 'power' a link pearl?

They do run off aether, but anyone can use them. It's not powered by the user. As stated in the snipped above, Garleans can and do make use of them, including jamming them. The Garleans likely have -other- communication methods as well, similar to how players can also send letters. Based on some of the cutscenes, they probably have some form of radio as well.

(01-20-2018, 07:22 AM)Valence Wrote: Near the end of the ARR storyline in Mor Dhona, Cid brings you with him to design an EM jammer able to jamm through garlean electromagnetic transmitters, which are the main source of communication for garleans in general.

We only learned recently during SB that garleans were able to jamm linkpearls too, but it's unclear how they do that.

So I am super late to this topic, but based on a 1.0 storyline as well, Garleans communications were a pain in the arse for anyone to get their hands on. They were located inside their helmets, but anytime any got close to trying to get one, it would self-destruct.

You, the Warrior of Light, somehow manage to get a helmet that doesn't explode and Cid uses this to monitor the Garlean activity in 1.0.

It is my belief, based on this and how jamming works, that while those like Eorzeans used aether-based communications, Garleans use more of a form of radio-wave communications like we use in our own world. Get enough electric interference, such as what Cid does with the Lightning Crystal (or was it corrupted?? Either way...) and you scramble the electric waves within the air, keeping the signal from getting out-- or in.

Cause generating a small burst EMP is a b**ch to communication radio waves.

Also fun fact!
For sometime after the Calamity, Linkshells didn't work either because of the aether changes and the moogles stepped up to become the mail service we have today, because they were tired of people shouting at one another. As of the time we play in 2.0, they got the aetheric currents back in order.

This is also why the old Aetherytes no longer function and now just lay on the ground... RIP Old Falcon Nest Aetheryte Camp.

RE: General Lore Questions - Porcelain - 01-30-2018

Are there any entities in game/lore that could cause a character to go a bit mad/unhinged from witnessing or interacting with? Musing on characters and wondering if theres anything that works sort of like a lovecraftian entity. That a character could summon/interact with/research which could cause them to sort of start to unravel. Maybe one of the voidsent? Know there are the mindflayer looking guys but dont actually know much of the lore on them.