Hydaelyn Role-Players
General Lore Questions - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Lore Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=49)
+--- Thread: General Lore Questions (/showthread.php?tid=4766)

RE: General Lore Questions - LiadansWhisper - 01-18-2014

(01-18-2014, 07:42 PM)Goodfellow Wrote: In keeping with current RPC vogue, I've got a question about the Elementals.  I didn't want to derail the fine discussion thread about their nature, though, so I'm resurrecting this thread. 

I didn't play 1.0, nor have I done all Gridania's quests or the whole CNJ/WHM line, so maybe this is all answered in there somewhere. 

So do the Elementals ever evidence themselves individually or are they collective beings?  And if they do appear as individuals, do they have names?  Would a SL dealing with one Hearer and their Elemental buddy have legs? 

Thanks!

There's an individual Elemental in the 1.0 WHM questline who has a name and appears to act on an individual basis.  Beyond that, however, the Elementals are never presented as individuals except in one Conjurer quest.  Even then, they do not have names - they're labeled something like "Elemental" (I don't remember the precise name).

RE: General Lore Questions - LandStander - 01-20-2014

I'm so glad I stumbled across this because I didnt want to start an entire thread for a simple question. This question is regarding the Grand Companies, mostly with the Flames. 

So I know that the Companies were reformed back in 1.0, but they did exist at an earlier period in time, right? Hint in the "reformed" word. I just wanted to know if anyone knew when they disbanded and possibly even why. I think the latter question might be harder to answer and I'm really mostly interested in the when. 

I ask because I had an older character who I wanted to tie to a military organization, but was dishonorably discharged, and the Grand Company's are the only military organization I know about that was in the city-states.

RE: General Lore Questions - Sounsyy - 01-20-2014

(01-20-2014, 05:38 AM)LandStander Wrote: So I know that the Companies were reformed back in 1.0, but they did exist at an earlier period in time, right? Hint in the "reformed" word. I just wanted to know if anyone knew when they disbanded and possibly even why. I think the latter question might be harder to answer and I'm really mostly interested in the when.

Reforming the Grand Companies

The original Grand Companies of Eorzea were first formed roughly 1600 years ago during the 6th Umbral Era in an effort to combat the Ascians. However, these Grand Companies were not made up of Twin Adders, Immortal Flames, and Maelstrom, as the nations of Gridania, Ul'dah, and Limsa did not yet exist. We do not know which ancient civilizations made up the original Grand Companies.

Now alot of things took place during the 6th Umbral Era. First, the world got swallowed up in a huge flood. Second, the Twelveswood went wild and grew up around itself. White and Black Magic was wiped from the world. And being the opportunists that they are, the Ascians crept out of the shadows and sought to cover the world in darkness.

The Archons rose up against the Ascians but were betrayed by one of their own, a roegadyn named Ahldbhar. Fearing further calamity, the nations of the time set aside their own wars and formed the Grand Companies of Eorzea to assist the Archons in fighting back the coming darkness. The Ascians retreated and this marked the change over from 6th Umbral to 6th Astral. 

The Grand Companies later disbanded because the nations started warring amongst each other again.

(01-20-2014, 05:38 AM)LandStander Wrote: I ask because I had an older character who I wanted to tie to a military organization, but was dishonorably discharged, and the Grand Company's are the only military organization I know about that was in the city-states.

Well, the original Grand Companies are a little before his time I think haha. But each nation has it's own military outside of the Grand Companies.

Ul'dah has the Brass Blades, the Stone Torches, and the Sultansworn, who are all military entities not attached to the Immortal Flames. Gridania has the God's Quiver and the Wood Wailers. And Limsa has the Lominsan Armada which is composed of nine squadrons of vessels. Ala Mhigo is no longer a free nation, but before the Garlean occupation they boasted the greatest Lancer legions in the known world. They also had Monks as part of their military make-up. Could consider having your older character as part of one of these factions.

Scroll Down to find Flames organization
Scroll Down to find Adder organization
Scroll Down to find Maelstrom organization

I included these links because they show how each nation's military operates and is laid out. This includes the non-Grand Company related military for each nation as well as the Grand Company, and how the two military's intermingle.

Hope this helps!

RE: General Lore Questions - LandStander - 01-20-2014

Ahahaha, I forgot all about the old FFXIV website! Thank you! I was under the impression that the Brass Blades and the Sultanasworn were more like state police, but my assumptions seemed to be incorrect. Again, thank you for the information ^^.

RE: General Lore Questions - Momoji Momochi - 01-21-2014

Hi everyone! Long time no see! Anyway, I have a question related to Bahamut's Coil.

Namely, what are the dark matter critters from turn 1? Are they supposed to be wildlife that somehow sneaked into Bahamut's Coil from the outside and then became corrupted by the crystals? Are they manifestations of bahamut's crystal wings? Finally, what do these critters live off of? Do they eat crystals, bathe themselves in the crystal's energy for sustenance, or do they eat each other? Do they even need to eat? Why can that snake divide itself like an amoeba?! AAAAAAAAAH! Frustrated

... Somebody help me! I can't take much more of this. Dazed

I really want to know, because it seems so unusual considering the location.

RE: General Lore Questions - Sounsyy - 01-21-2014

(01-21-2014, 09:56 AM)Momoji Momochi Wrote: Namely, what are the dark matter critters from turn 1? Are they supposed to be wildlife that somehow sneaked into Bahamut's Coil from the outside and then became corrupted by the crystals? Are they manifestations of bahamut's crystal wings? Finally, what do these critters live off of? Do they eat crystals, bathe themselves in the crystal's energy for sustenance, or do they eat each other? Do they even need to eat? Why can that snake divide itself like an amoeba?!

While I can't answer the first few questions because honestly I don't know and I don't think there's any lore behind it. Because... obviously... no one knows anything to tell us. We're the first people to go in there really. 

I honestly believe they represent more of the game mechanic of "adds" versus actually being in there for a lore reason. However, if I had to hazard a guess, taking into consideration they drop regular world mob loot, that they are just mobs who have crept their way inside and gotten trapped or corrupted by the aether down there. 

Now, the part about the snake dividing I can answer. Caduceus in Greek mythology was the staff carried by Hermes. It was short and had two serpents coiled around its base and was flanked by wings as shown in the image above. This image is usually incorrectly associated with modern medicine and healthcare instead of the actual symbol which is the Rod of Asclepius. Asclepius contains a single serpent wrapped around a staff and is never displayed with wings. 

You will fight both Caduceus and Asclepius within the Coil of Bahamut. Caduceus splits into two serpents in reference to its associated staff, while Asclepius does not split as its staff only contains a single serpent.

RE: General Lore Questions - LiadansWhisper - 01-21-2014

(01-21-2014, 10:54 AM)Sounsyy Wrote: I honestly believe they represent more of the game mechanic of "adds" versus actually being in there for a lore reason. However, if I had to hazard a guess, taking into consideration they drop regular world mob loot, that they are just mobs who have crept their way inside and gotten trapped or corrupted by the aether down there.

They're just trash.  They needed trash mobs I guess to make getting to the first boss "interesting."  Annoyingly, though, these mobs don't drop anything.  The function of trash mobs is generally an extra source of very rare random loot.

Quote:You will fight both Caduceus and Asclepius within the Coil of Bahamut. Caduceus splits into two serpents in reference to its associated staff, while Asclepius does not split as its staff only contains a single serpent.

Where exactly is Asclepius?

RE: General Lore Questions - McBeefâ„¢ - 01-21-2014

(01-21-2014, 03:22 PM)LiadansWhisper Wrote: Where exactly is Asclepius?

During stage 3 of twintania a bunch of snakes spawn while you are dodging her sonic boom. Asclepius is the big one (there are small ones too).

RE: General Lore Questions - Naunet - 01-21-2014

(01-21-2014, 03:56 PM)Natalie Mcbeef Wrote:

During stage 3 of twintania a bunch of snakes spawn while you are dodging her sonic boom. Asclepius is the big one (there are small ones too).

And it is so very much not a symbol of healthcare! D: Quite the opposite, really. *cowers from divebombs*

RE: General Lore Questions - LiadansWhisper - 01-21-2014

(01-21-2014, 03:56 PM)Natalie Mcbeef Wrote:

I haven't gotten that far yet.

I am so looking forward to this pain.

RE: General Lore Questions - Sounsyy - 01-21-2014

(01-21-2014, 07:45 PM)LiadansWhisper Wrote: I haven't gotten that far yet.

I am so looking forward to this pain.

Sooooooooooo much pain. ;  ;

Tanking her is a real heart stopper.

RE: General Lore Questions - McBeefâ„¢ - 01-21-2014

(01-21-2014, 08:20 PM)Sounsyy Wrote: Tanking her is a real heart stopper.

You might even call it a death sentence.

RE: General Lore Questions - Naunet - 01-22-2014

(01-21-2014, 11:45 PM)Natalie Mcbeef Wrote:

I'm going to have to revoke your pun license for that.

RE: General Lore Questions - McBeefâ„¢ - 01-22-2014

(01-22-2014, 02:29 AM)Naunet Wrote:
(01-21-2014, 11:45 PM)Natalie Mcbeef Wrote:

I'm going to have to revoke your pun license for that.

I guess that joke really dive bombed.

RE: General Lore Questions - LiadansWhisper - 01-22-2014

(01-22-2014, 02:35 AM)Natalie Mcbeef Wrote: I guess that joke really dive bombed.

There's a special level of hell for those who make such horrible, horrible puns.  Evil