Hydaelyn Role-Players
General Lore Questions - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Lore Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=49)
+--- Thread: General Lore Questions (/showthread.php?tid=4766)

RE: General Lore Questions - Saravahn - 02-04-2018

Searches have not given me any answers, so turning to you guys.

How immediate were the climate/aether changes that were caused by the calamity? I am curious about other parts of the world as well, but of particular interest would be Ishgard/Coerthas. Was it literally hours in and it was freezing with snow falling out of the sky.... or was it a gradual change over weeks, months, the five years...?

To tag along with that, how far reaching was the calamity? Did Garlemald and/or the near and far east get smacked, too? Or even the "new world"? Sharlayan?

RE: General Lore Questions - Valence - 02-04-2018

(01-30-2018, 04:55 AM)Porcelain Wrote: Are there any entities in game/lore that could cause a character to go a bit mad/unhinged from witnessing or interacting with? Musing on characters and wondering if theres anything that works sort of like a lovecraftian entity. That a character could summon/interact with/research which could cause them to sort of start to unravel. Maybe one of the voidsent? Know there are the mindflayer looking guys but dont actually know much of the lore on them.

I would tend to say, nothing exactly like that in the lore we know per se, but we've seen so many different types of voidsent with unique abilities and properties that at this point I think you're pretty safe by making up your own.

The voidsent that is responsible for turning the whole population of Nym into Tonberries especially comes to mind.

RE: General Lore Questions - Sounsyy - 02-04-2018

(02-04-2018, 09:18 AM)Miavahn Wrote: How immediate were the climate/aether changes that were caused by the calamity? I am curious about other parts of the world as well, but of particular interest would be Ishgard/Coerthas. Was it literally hours in and it was freezing with snow falling out of the sky.... or was it a gradual change over weeks, months, the five years...?

The endless winter Coerthas suffers from came about in the days immediately following the Calamity. It started as a blizzard, and then that blizzard didn't end until the western Coerthas Highlands were frozen over and a glacial sheet of ice swept across the region eastward down the Coerthas and Swiftrun Rivers to Greytail Falls and obstructed Gargoyle Crossing ( x x ) creating snowcloak, separating the survivors of Hemlock, Falcon's Nest, Dusk Vigil, and Camp Riversmeet from Ishgardian aid.

Torn Journal Page (Dusk Vigil) Wrote:To whoever reads this─if there is anyone left to read it─let it be known that I, Ser Pascaleret Neurtaille, bore witness to Dalamud's fall. The lesser moon's descent, the black doom which emerged from within, the flames which spread across the horizon, turning night to day─it shall haunt me for the rest of my days. It is the dawn of the “Seventh Umbral Era,” according to some of the men. I told them to put no stock in the ravings of the prophetess, but even I do not know what to believe anymore.

The engineers are still surveying the damage, but anyone with eyes can tell that the Dusk Vigil is beyond repair. Some walls are hardly fit to be called as such, piles of crumbling masonry as they are. The officers have been pleading with Ser Yuhelmeric, asking him to order a withdrawal. He knows our position is untenable, yet he refuses. “We will hold it to the last, for we are the shields on the wall─the defenders of the Holy See,” he says. He is a brave, pious man. Less so, we who serve under him.

The men we rescued from the collapsed wing have not fared well. Given our dwindling supplies and this seemingly endless blizzard, we may be forced to make difficult decisions soon. This unseasonable weather grows worse with every passing day, and the toll it has taken on morale is plain. We have yet to receive reinforcements from the Holy See, and I fear none shall come. Nevertheless, Ser Yuhelmeric remains steadfast in his decision and will not suffer any talk of withdrawal. Ser Yuhelmeric's steward tells me he passes hours in the chapel, praying to the Fury for guidance... But I chanced to see him once, as he knelt before the statue. His eyes were transfixed upon the jewel in her crown, and he was whispering things I dare not write.
Lancefer Wrote:The freeze came quickly on the heels of the Calamity, but there was as yet a narrow defile. The entire hamlet gathered at its mouth, and we began to pass through it, to safety... Not even half of us were through before a snowslide struck. In the confusion, her hand slipped from mine. The surge of snow and the crowd carried me to this side, and she was left behind. I left her behind.
Idristan Wrote:By Nophica's grace, the Twelveswood was not subjected to the transformative forces which forever altered Coerthas. At least, that was the case five years ago. Some say the snows creep ever southward...

The freeze that came in the Calamity's wake has rendered Coerthas nigh inhospitable. Many of the creatures that once made their homes there have been forced to migrate lest they starve. Some arrive on our doorstep with naught else on their mind but to feed. This kind of situation would not have arisen ere the Calamity came and made Coerthas nigh uninhabitable to its local fauna. With their water hoarded in vaults of ice and their herbage held under the snow, the larger beasts have become positively infernal in their need to survive. Take heed if you head northbound, for know that you are riding into battle.

(02-04-2018, 09:18 AM)Miavahn Wrote: To tag along with that, how far reaching was the calamity? Did Garlemald and/or the near and far east get smacked, too? Or even the "new world"? Sharlayan?

As far as we can tell, this 7th Umbral Calamity only directly affected Eorzea. We do know in the weeks leading up to the Calamity, Garlean soldiers of the VIIth and XIVth Legions were taking measurements of the anomalies in the world's aether. We know that Dalamud was siphoning aether off the Lifestream away from Silvertear Lake and damaging aetherytes. We know that linkpearls were disrupted along with the flow of aether immediately during and for a while following the Calamity. But we don't know exactly how far reaching beyond Eorzea. Only in Eorzea have we witnessed severe shifts in weather conditions, the sizes of monsters increasing, etc.

While Sharlayan observed the fall of Dalamud via telescope, we've been given no evidence that their island was affected by the fall, nor did we get any indication of such disturbances when we traveled to the Far East.

Hope this helps! ^^