Hydaelyn Role-Players
General Lore Questions - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Lore Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=49)
+--- Thread: General Lore Questions (/showthread.php?tid=4766)

RE: General Lore Questions - LiadansWhisper - 07-10-2015

(07-09-2015, 09:04 PM)Goodfellow Wrote: So that raises the follow-up question: are there Hearers outside of the Shroud?  Discounting the WoL, are Hearers a phenomenon apart from the Pact of Gelmorra?  Could some random Xaela out on the steppes of Othard be born with the ability to communicate with the elementals or is the concept tied to Gridania?

Hearers appear to be a genetic quirk, of sorts, so I do think that they could be born outside of Gridania, though it would be far rarer than if they were born within the Twelveswood.

It's doable, tho, imo.

Unnamed Mercenary Wrote:It should be doable. Hearers are rare, but not Padjal-rare. I've yet to see any racial restriction on them. Although...Gridania seems to be the only place to help a Hearer understand their ability. But that could just be because the Conjurers' Guild is there.

Being a Hearer appears to be tied directly to an innate ability in Conjury, so it makes sense that Hearers born outside of lands where Conjury is well known and understood would have trouble coming to grips with the ability. Not to mention the fact that the Hearers in Gridania, by nature, are going to have more experience with the ability, and thus probably a few tips and tricks that help them along.

RE: General Lore Questions - Sigil.9054 - 07-15-2015

Got a question:

What is the extent of fur on a Miqo'te? Most of them look like they just have fur on their ears and tail, with normal (for humans) body hair other than that. Still others look like they might be as furry as a standard house cat, and the texture simply isn't detailed.

So what's the call? Do we know?

RE: General Lore Questions - allgivenover - 07-15-2015

They only have fur on the ears and tail, the rest is regular skin.

RE: General Lore Questions - Judielle Farendaire - 07-15-2015

So what's exactly the deal with Jandelaine and Guillefresne? Supposedly duskwights of an Ishgardian noble house, I've seen nothing mentioned of them in Heavensward and really no evidence of a duskwight population in Ishgard.  I've personally only seen wildwood, midlanders, and two foreign adventurers bringing xaela and highlander into the Forgotten Knight, but not much else.

Did I miss something?  Are there any duskwights seen in Ishgard or at least lore referencing their existence there?  Or is it really just a big question mark at this point?

Maybe I was lied to and Jandelaine's pure wildwood stock, making this entire post useless? Tongue

RE: General Lore Questions - Martiallais - 07-15-2015

Well there is the rather Duskwight looking guy that you face in the MSQ during the trial by combat? His skin tone is darker than what you can make with Wildwoods in the CC and he also has bright eyes both of which are typically attributed to Duskies. He's also -named- after a certain house but....

It's kind of up in the air, as far as I know? Some say they're there but obviously in smaller numbers compared to the Shroud while others say they can't be since apparently no sun = automatically pale (which is TOTALLY different argument itself). Since I play an Ishgardian Duskwight, obviously I'm a little biased in my opinion here. >_>

RE: General Lore Questions - allgivenover - 07-15-2015

(07-15-2015, 04:26 PM)Aronaux Farendaire Wrote: So what's exactly the deal with Jandelaine and Guillefresne? Supposedly duskwights of an Ishgardian noble house, I've seen nothing mentioned of them in Heavensward and really no evidence of a duskwight population in Ishgard.  I've personally only seen wildwood, midlanders, and two foreign adventurers bringing xaela and highlander into the Forgotten Knight, but not much else.

Did I miss something?  Are there any duskwights seen in Ishgard or at least lore referencing their existence there?  Or is it really just a big question mark at this point?

Maybe I was lied to and Jandelaine's pure wildwood stock, making this entire post useless? Tongue

They could be very dark Wildwood, you can make a very dark skinned Wildwood in the CC after all.

RE: General Lore Questions - Shoshopu - 07-16-2015

How are patron deities chosen? Each month is associated with a deity, but at character creation you choose it independently of the character's nameday, so... how is that determined? Is there any lore on this at all?

RE: General Lore Questions - Unnamed Mercenary - 07-16-2015

(07-16-2015, 01:41 PM)Shoshopu Wrote: How are patron deities chosen? Each month is associated with a deity, but at character creation you choose it independently of the character's nameday, so... how is that determined? Is there any lore on this at all?

As players, we're just kinda given it as an option.

Certain cities and areas around the game do have a patron diety that is worshipped. You may have seen a few already!

Ul'dah: Nald'Thal
Gridania: Nophica
Ishgard: Halone
Ala Mhigo: Rhalgr

RE: General Lore Questions - Shoshopu - 07-16-2015

(07-16-2015, 01:45 PM)Unnamed Mercenary Wrote:
(07-16-2015, 01:41 PM)Shoshopu Wrote: How are patron deities chosen? Each month is associated with a deity, but at character creation you choose it independently of the character's nameday, so... how is that determined? Is there any lore on this at all?

As players, we're just kinda given it as an option.

Certain cities and areas around the game do have a patron diety that is worshipped. You may have seen a few already!

Ul'dah: Nald'Thal
Gridania: Nophica
Ishgard: Halone
Ala Mhigo: Rhalgr

And Limsa Lominsa's is Lymlaen, if I'm not mistaken.

I just chose my birthday for Shoshopu's and that sits her in a month associated with Lymlaen- but that's just one month off from Oschon, so I was considering retconning it (from Third Astral to Third Umbral; at least they're both Wind), since Oschon is her patron deity, and the one her family worships the most, as well. Would that mean her entire family's patron deity is Oschon? Or is it determined by, like... some kind of random occurrence that happens that the family might interpret as a blessing from x deity? Just the fact they call it "patron" deity makes me want to think it's not chosen by the person whose patron the deity is, but by the deity itself, someway or another... 

On the other hand, since she now spends most of her time in Limsa, Lymlaen doesn't seem to be a bad one to be associated with, from a flavor standpoint...

Just trying to find as much lore on it as I can before I make a decision.

RE: General Lore Questions - Gegenji - 07-16-2015

I chose mine based off the personalities of the characters I was creating. Gogon is a seeker of knowledge and holds information in high regard, as such Thaliak was the obvious choice for him. Chachan follows more closely to his family's heritage and is a smith, and thus has Byregot. Judge has a very black and white view on things and believes one thing will lead to another, and so I picked Nymeia for him. That's just personal preference, though. Blush

RE: General Lore Questions - Sounsyy - 07-16-2015

People of Eorzea can adopt a patron deity for any number of reasons. Be they personal, familial, or otherwise.

A great example are the Ala Mhigans, who for many decades took Rhalgr as their patron deity. This was inspired by the religious Order of the Fists of Rhalgr joining the city-state. Five years before the fall of Ala Mhigo, however, the King of Ruin - feeling threatened by the Fists of Rhaglr - outlawed the worship of Rhalgr and claimed that he was chosen to rule by divine right of Nymeia, which forced radical changes upon the city-state. Was the King of Ruin truly blessed by Nymeia? Probably not.

Likewise, Ishgard chose to worship Halone because, according to the Enchiridion, their holy book, Halone came before Thordan and chose the Ishgardians as her people, later lending her own power to Haldrath in defeating Nidhogg. So the legend goes anyways.

But one can choose to take a patron deity for a reason as simple as it coinciding with their birthdate, similar to how we view the Western and Eastern Zodiacs.

A crafter may also choose to worship Byregot, the Builder. A thaumaturge, Nald'thal. A wealthy man, Nald specifically. A wandering minstrel may choose to walk the path of Oschon. Perhaps you choose to worship all twelve, or none at all. It varies person by person and for whatever reason truthfully.

There's no solid lore on why patron deities are chosen person by person though.

RE: General Lore Questions - Alkaid - 07-16-2015

I've seen a list before of 50 Keeper of the Moon family names. Are those the only family names or are there more?

^awesome post by Sounsyy

Meanwhile, Franz is gonna sit back and watch people pray to what he thinks are false gods. Some Garlean habits don't die as well.

(07-16-2015, 02:37 PM)Alkaid Wrote: I've seen a list before of 50 Keeper of the Moon family names. Are those the only family names or are there more?

I think those are just samples.

The Keepers of the Moon can trace their family names back generations, however. Many are quite old!

RE: General Lore Questions - Sounsyy - 07-16-2015

(07-16-2015, 02:37 PM)Alkaid Wrote: I've seen a list before of 50 Keeper of the Moon family names. Are those the only family names or are there more?

From Fernehalwes:

Fernehalwes Wrote:There are many Keeper of the Moon family names that have been passed down through the generations.

The ones you see in-game represent some of the more prominent families that once crossed the frozen seas into Eorzea in search for prey. That does not mean that these are all the names available. There are some families who have chosen to live more secluded lives, and simply have not made an appearance in-game yet. There are also the families who remained in their homeland, or emigrated to lands other than Eorzea.

So, when creating a character, you are free to take the surname of an existing family, and inherit their history, or choose a yet-to-be-released surname, and build a new history.

Below is a list I compiled of all 50 canon, Eorzean Keeper families:
Show Content