Hydaelyn Role-Players
General Lore Questions - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Lore Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=49)
+--- Thread: General Lore Questions (/showthread.php?tid=4766)

RE: General Lore Questions - Alkaid - 07-17-2015

Thanks for the list! Another quick question, is there any mention in the game anywhere of like, a traveling entertainment troupe or something? I'm thinking Tantalus from IX minus the thieving.

RE: General Lore Questions - Gegenji - 07-17-2015

There's a sort of Boyband group of minstrels that goes around that is mentioned in the Postmoogle quests. I forget the specifics, but is that sort of what you're talking about?

If not that, I know a couple people who RP bards who are part of a troupe of some sort. I think there's even a FC which is basically that - Soliloquy, I believe?

RE: General Lore Questions - Alkaid - 07-17-2015

That group's probably the closest thing in the game, thanks.

RE: General Lore Questions - Sounsyy - 07-17-2015

The minstrel group is called the Homunculus.

... /refrains from making another Hercules joke...

[Image: large.gif]

/fails...
#sorrynotsorry

RE: General Lore Questions - Diskwrite - 07-23-2015

Hedge trees! What are they, exactly? Aside from, you know, part of the hedge.

I'm trying to find a good spot in the Shroud for a small, private wedding ceremony, and the area around one of these trees seems really nice. So I wanted to make sure it wouldn't violate some cultural more to hold one there.

RE: General Lore Questions - Sounsyy - 07-23-2015

(07-23-2015, 06:08 PM)Diskwrite Wrote: Hedge trees! What are they, exactly? Aside from, you know, part of the hedge.

Hedgetrees are sacred trees scattered throughout the Twelveswood which support the Hedge, a magical barrier that protects the Wood from outside harm. Lore suggests these trees are made by Conjurers' magic and the Hedge is made of man and Elemental's magic. If one of these trees comes to harm, the Hedge may fall and the Greenwrath will most assuredly be awoken.

Heart of the Hedge Wrote:Hedgetrees play an important role in the forest by helping to maintain the protective barrier which shields the Twelveswood from harm. Should the trees become damaged, the forest would find itself more susceptible to outside danger.

O-App-Pesi Wrote:The Empire's assaults grow ever more frequent and vicious. To make matters worse, it would seem they have established a new stronghold in Mor Dhona. With the enemy so close at hand, there is no hope of raising the Irmin Hedge.

In the absence of such a barrier, we are left no recourse but to put down whatever manner of fiend breaks through by force of arms alone. Those able to fight must do so.

Eadbert Wrote:Would ye mind goin' to the Hedgetree, an' seein' that all's well? Since ancient times, the tree has guarded these woods with her holy presence.

Basewin Wrote:The Black Shroud... Forest-born call it the Twelveswood. And that Hedge of theirs borders it all. I heard it said the conjurers make them hedgetrees with their magic. Up close, they shine—shine like no natural tree got any right to. Ain't nothing stopping you looking at 'em, o' course. Cutting and burning 'em, though... Well, every adventurer worth his spit knows better than to mark them trees up.

O-App-Pesi Wrote:Greetings, friend. I am O-App-Pesi, of the conjurers. It is our magic which keeps the Hedge in place, and it is the Hedge which protects us from our enemies without. Still, it is a construct, and so its power is far from boundless. It cannot repel all we would wish. Even as we speak, the hedgetrees sway uneasily amid the creeping darkness. Countless are the Garlean interlopers that steal into the Twelveswood, and countless too are their villainies.

Soileine Wrote:Elementals abound in the Twelveswood around Gridania. Unto them falls the task of protecting the forest. And unto us falls the task of protecting them. To that end, we have laid the Hedge - a magical barrier formed by our order and the Elementals that serves to turn away outside evils. Those who would breach it invite our vengeance. We are the conjurers - intermediaries of nature and man. Our place is between Gridanians and the Elementals. The majority of our citizenry are deaf to the forest's whispers. Yet all feel the presence of the Elementals, as surely as they feel hot and cold.

O-App-Pesi Wrote:No need to introduce yourself, I know full well who you are. The “hapless adventurer,” many and more are calling you. I reckon not a single one of the Twelve was watching over you, to have sent you here just when the Hedge was sundered. Ah, forgive me, I suppose an explanation is in order. We conjurers of Gridania use our magic to weave a sort of barrier around the Twelveswood. It is a pact we share with the most ancient of the elementals. They protect our city-state, and in turn we protect them. That is why the Hedge exists. Think of it as a symbol of our friendship. It’s also what you and any other non-native to Gridania have to thank for not being attacked upon entering the forest. At least, you ‘’would’’ have it to thank had you not passed along just as a portion of the Hedge was broken. The greenwrath was upon you the instant you drew near—and it clings to you still. Sorry to say, but you’ve got the stink of woodsin all about you. After all that, you still need to ask if forest elementals truly exist?

Hope this helps! ^^

RE: General Lore Questions - Verie - 07-29-2015

Sorry, I have a lot of fairly.. broadish questions.

Did we know anything about Ishgard in 1.0? I've seen screenshots of it from a distance in the old design of Coerthas, so I'm wondering if there's any lore that hasn't been covered in Heavensward. Especially daily life types of things that may not be relevant post-Calamity. Were any of the Vigils up and running at that point? It sounds like Steel Vigil fell after the Calamity, was that a place you were able to see in 1.0 or was it mentioned at all?

Also, do we know anything about how Ishgardians actually become knights? What sort of training do they go through? It doesn't seem like they have the squire-system, but more like a Lord who trains them at a specific post? If a knight is sworn to one noble house, would it be strange for him to go and train with another allied house, like say if that post was more in need of men? 

Also, how was Ishgard affected by the Calamity? I mostly only see things about the weather, which is certainly huge, but did they witness the fall of Dalamud at all? 

Thanks for any assistance, I really appreciate it. Moogle

RE: General Lore Questions - Virella - 07-29-2015

I do believe they have squires, if you go check in Coerthas, I believe you can find one at Whitebrim. Believe they are trained in lance, sword and bow, but I'm not 100% sure on that. Skirmishes do seem to be a thing between houses. All the house provide their own knights it appears. However I can see joined training things happening at times, but far from being regular.

As for the rest of your question? I was actually wondering about that myself earlier today, as I lost all my info when my PC exploded.

RE: General Lore Questions - Martiallais - 07-29-2015

In Dusk Vigil one of the journal notes lying on the ground all over the first parts of the instance indicate they could see the 'red light of Dalamund's fall'. I don't have the exact quote on hand however.

RE: General Lore Questions - Sounsyy - 07-29-2015

(07-29-2015, 08:25 PM)Verie Wrote: Were any of the Vigils up and running at that point? It sounds like Steel Vigil fell after the Calamity, was that a place you were able to see in 1.0 or was it mentioned at all?

There are actually four Vigils, strongholds built over the course of the last thousand year Dragonsong War, along the southern coast of the Sea of Clouds which protect the Coerthas region from the Dravanians in the north and west. From West to East, these fortresses are called: Dusk Vigil, Stone Vigil, Steel Vigil, and Dawn Vigil. All four of these fortresses were present and on the map if you could reach them without being murdered by a Lv99 enemy. However, they looked quite a bit different back in the day, so it's difficult to say if any were destroyed pre-Calamity as Steel Vigil is heavily suggested to have been. Also, of the Four, only Dawn Vigil in the eastern Fields of Glory seems to have survived the Dravanian Horde to this day.

From West to East:

Dusk Vigil was destroyed shortly following the Calamity. After the Calamity struck, Coerthas was struck by an endless winter that has persisted for five years now. Having frozen the waters of the overflowing Twinpools, the ice swept east across Western Coerthas, blocking Gargoyle Crossing (forming Snowcloak) and trapping the residents of Western Coerthas, Falcon's Nest, and the Dusk Vigil in the worst of the weather.

Sightseeing #04 Wrote:The Dusk Vigil
The Calamity was not kind to this once-proud watchtower, from which Ser Yuhelmeric and the brave knights of House Durendaire once stood watch against the encroaching Horde. Since the walls fell and the chill took hold, it has come to be inhabited by all manner of fell beasts, and gods only knows what else.

Kenwrec Wrote:The Convictory? Why, it's a haven for highborn and lowborn alike. Our order isn't recognized by the Holy See, so we needn't be too picky about who we let join. Disenfranchised nobles and their retainers, penniless vagabonds and half-mad sellswords - aye, we're a contemptible lot of cads, bounders, and dragon stabbers. But we are all committed to the cause, may Saint Finnea watch over and keep us safe.

She's our patron saint, lest you wonder. Held the Dusk Vigil against the Horde when more pragmatic folk would've fled. But Saint Finnea wouldn't have it, oh no. She was the soul of conviction - and so are we!

Quote:The Stone Vigil
One of four watchtowers built along the Sea of clouds by the city-state of Ishgard, the Stone Vigil was overrun and occupied by the Dravanian Horde not long after the Calamity. The following years have seen the knights of House Durendaire make several attempts at reclaiming the fortress, but to no avail.

Quote:The Stone Vigil (Hard)
Too long has the Stone Vigil been ravished by the Dravanians and their thralls; too long has House Durendaire suffered this infamy. Time has come for its dragoons to retake the fortress, ten hundred lances and a thousand dreams of vengeance strong.

Though the knights of Ishgard breach the gate to find a lodgement within the Vigil, the enemy is well defended and amply supplied. This deadlock must be broken - and who better than those who once made free the fortress under the dragons' very noses, and lived to tell the tale?

Sightseeing #76 Wrote:The Steel Vigil
One of four citadel watchtowers built along the Sea of Clouds, the Steel Vigil warned the Holy See of aerial attacks for centuries before being razed and gutted by the Dravanian Horde and their vile commander, Svara. Now, only the outer walls remain, leaving a bitter reminder of the dragons' destructive power.

Naul Wrote:Ah, yes. You know how Ishgard is about dragons. The Holy See managed to get Naul and a few other dragons on to the elite mark list. A favor to be repaid in kind, I'm sure. The dragons Naul and Svara are best known for their attack on the Steel Vigil, which left the fortress a smoking ruin. Notable casualties include the third son of House Haillenarte...

Show Content

There's not much lore about the Dawn Vigil. Maybe when SE opens up Eastern Coerthas and the Fields of Glory, which if you keep going East will drop you in Gyr Abania and Ala Mhigo, we'll get lore on that last Vigil. In the meantime, this is what the Vigils used to look like in 1.0:

[Image: FFXIV_Dawn_Vigil.png]
(Dawn Vigil 1.0)

(07-29-2015, 08:25 PM)Verie Wrote: Also, do we know anything about how Ishgardians actually become knights? What sort of training do they go through? It doesn't seem like they have the squire-system, but more like a Lord who trains them at a specific post? If a knight is sworn to one noble house, would it be strange for him to go and train with another allied house, like say if that post was more in need of men?

Lore is vague on how exactly Knights as a whole are trained, just that they do get training. Also, Squires are a thing. There are a few running around Ishgard and several more pop up in lore blurbs and the MSQ. But basing off the MSQ with Count de Fortemp's sons, it would appear that Noble or High Noble sons who wish to become Knights lend their aid to outposts, vigils, and the other High Houses to attend to whatever help is needed. Seeing as how Ishgard places a great amount of value in heroic deeds and one's own actions for the good of Ishgard, I assume this ritual of sending out the sons to the frontlines of the War is in the hope that they do something heroic or at least learn something from their experience.

Honoroit Wrote:Pray pay no heed to Lord Emmanellain, Mistress Mirke. I am certain you have far more pressing demands on your time. And for his part, my lord has lessons to attend... He has resumed training in the blade, you see, and has shown admirable dedication... for the most part. If he is to succeed in this, he will need all the help he can get, and as few distractions as possible.

House Fortemps Steward Wrote:As for those sworn to House Fortemps... In addition to the knights, squires, and infantry, more than a hundred craftsmen, retainers, and other servants possessed of notable skill are pledged to our service. Given our strong position, one might expect us to have no truck with foreign merchants and sellswords. However, nothing could be further from the truth. I should think that my lord the count was quite clear on this point, but it was our hope that you and your allies would, by your deeds, help us to convince the other High Houses of the wisdom of opening the Gates of Judgement to all - among other things.

Interestingly, there's also some lore on this in the Lightfeather Proving Grounds - an arena originally designed to train chocobos in combat, however, Alinaure implies some knights might train or exhibit themselves there as well.

Alinaure Wrote:As you might expect from the name, the Lightfeather Proving Grounds were originally established to host matches for battle-trained chocobos. That being said, House Dzemael has since allowed the grounds to be used for other purposes on occasion. Some other houses have staged spectacles, for both private and public amusement. The Temple Knights have also held exhibitions in the past as well - those are always a delight, believe you me.

(07-29-2015, 08:25 PM)Verie Wrote: Also, how was Ishgard affected by the Calamity? I mostly only see things about the weather, which is certainly huge, but did they witness the fall of Dalamud at all?
(07-29-2015, 09:30 PM)Zarek Wrote: In Dusk Vigil one of the journal notes lying on the ground all over the first parts of the instance indicate they could see the 'red light of Dalamund's fall'. I don't have the exact quote on hand however.

Show Content

Now that that is out of the way. Yes, TL;DR Ishgard, despite its gates being closed to outsiders since the razing of Ferndale 20 years ago, was very much aware of the situation surrounding the Calamity. Even if they "could not spare the Knights" to aid the Eorzean Alliance at the time. In fact, fragments of Dalamud were crashing into Coerthas long before they began damaging other regions.

From the Tales of the Calamity series, we're told that the fall of Dalamud was visible all over the world, in places as far away as Sharlayan. (The island Sharlayan in the Bloodbrine Sea, not Eorzean Sharlayan which you can now visit in Heavensward.) Geographically speaking, Coerthas was fairly close to the destruction.

Also, the battle of Rivenroad was fought in Coerthas. For those who do not know, the Battle of Rivenroad was where a party of Adventurers defeated VIIth Legatus Nael van Darnus in an attempt to stop the falling of Dalamud. Despite Nael's death, the Adventurers' efforts came too late.

Sightseeing #74 Wrote:Snowcloak
The bitter cold which swept over the Coerthas highlands following the Calamity did not only blanket the region in snow and ice, but transformed the water of Twinpools and the Swiftrun into a mountainous flow of ice - a flow which has slowly crept through the western Coerthas highlands and now has completely engulfed Gargoyle Crossing, preventing passage.

Sightseeing #70 Wrote:The Frozen Fang
In years past, the hot alpine summers would have seen this fallen Dravanian outflyers blown with maggots and reduced to bones in a matter of days. Now, in the endless winter wrought by the Calamity, the carcass rests in the permafrost under a thick blanket of snow, perfectly preserved since the day he was pierced through the heart by a ballista.

Sightseeing #72 Wrote:Boulder Downs
Before the Calamity, Boulder Downs was a vast sloped lea littered with moraine deposited by realm-swallowing glaciers long receded. The rain of debris that accompanied the fall of Dalamud, however, transformed the landscape into a frozen wasteland pocked with gaping impact craters and peculiar dark matter formations.

These two articles from The Raven Newspaper are also a good read on the topic:
Show Content

Show Content

Hope this helps! ^^

RE: General Lore Questions - Verie - 07-30-2015

Wow, thank you so much! I really appreciate it, this helped a lot!

RE: General Lore Questions - Martiallais - 08-26-2015

Rise thread, rise!

That aside, I recalled (or at least think I do, admittedly it could all be in my head) reading somewhere about Ishgardians believing mythril resisted or helped resist temptation by dragons, is that actually stated anywhere or did I just grab that out of a passing cloud?

EDIT: Found my own answer here....now if I can get it to quote.

Oh well. Found it here under Voilinaut's armorsmith text: http://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/showthread.php?tid=8267&pid=107904#pid107904

RE: General Lore Questions - Ehzo'ir Tyaka - 08-26-2015

Please forgive my newbie question, as I have not done the story quests for these yet, but I was wondering...

Why is it that no one can be a BLM or WHM now? I read somewhere else that it is frowned upon by the lore people, and I am curious. Also, even if one could become a BLM or WHM in character, is it mutually exclusive? Selarian has the dream of mastering both Thaumatergy and Conjuration, and the natural step would be for him to become both a BLM and WHM, but I don't want to break lore.

RE: General Lore Questions - Unnamed Mercenary - 08-26-2015

(08-26-2015, 12:52 PM)Selarian Cloverbloom Wrote: Please forgive my newbie question, as I have not done the story quests for these yet, but I was wondering...

Why is it that no one can be a BLM or WHM now? I read somewhere else that it is frowned upon by the lore people, and I am curious. Also, even if one could become a BLM or WHM in character, is it mutually exclusive? Selarian has the dream of mastering both Thaumatergy and Conjuration, and the natural step would be for him to become both a BLM and WHM, but I don't want to break lore.

Short Explanation: War of the Magi, which resulted in the 6th Umbral Era, flooding the world and destroying Mhachi (BLMs), Amdapor (WHMs) and Nym (SCHs). Some information cane be found here, but there are also more posts on the RPC about it by Sounsyy.

Edit:
Basically, they almost destroyed the world. Black Magic was outlawed. White Magic was hidden away by the Elementals because Man could not be trusted. Both BLM and WHM draw their power from Hydaelyn/the land, and they nearly starved the world of aether, killing it. As such, the survivors of the 6th Umbral Era swore to never use them again. Belah'dia (new city from Mhachi survivors) outlawed it. The Black Shroud grew around Amdapor, hiding it away with barriers. Nym got fucked for being involved. (We don't have more lore on it yet).

As such, the game does not present these jobs as something even the most educated and knowledgeable of people would have access to. As the main-character Warrior of Light, we are granted these jobs because we are the super-special person who has been deemed worthy/capable/etc of handling them without destroying the world.

Additional Edit:
While it's been tried to be covered up repeatedly by the great Lore Team vs Battle Team war at SE, Thaumaturgy, blakc Magic, Conjury and White Magic all operate quite differently from each other. The game presents us with BLM and WHM as "beefed up" versions of THM and CNJ, but they're really a different kind of magic altogether, which was the Battle Team squashing lore for mechanics.

Traditionally in FFXIV's lore (we're talking pre-Yoshi-P days in 1.0), THM was almost more a blood mage, CNJ was an elemental mage and BLM and WHM didn't even exist. They both could heal and DPS on equal parts. when Yoshi-P came along, he tried to fix up 1.0's generally perceived as bad battle mechanics and introduced jobs into the game, which made new lore. Then in 2.0, there was a great skill shift as battle roles were introduced to force each class/job into a DPS, Healer or Tank role for the Duty finder. Ultimately, mechanics beat out lore so that the game would be playable.

RE: General Lore Questions - Gegenji - 08-26-2015

(08-26-2015, 12:52 PM)Selarian Cloverbloom Wrote: Please forgive my newbie question, as I have not done the story quests for these yet, but I was wondering...

The reason why it's frowned upon is that both are forbidden magics. The War of the Magi - a great war that ended with the Elementals flooding the planet - was fought primarily between Amdapor (White Mages) and the Mcachi (Black Mages). Both their magics directly draw from the aether of the planet itself to power their great abilities, and the War threatened to drain all the aether from Hydaelyn itself. Knowing that, or even just knowing that those who used those magics caused a great flood... is enough to turn most folks off it.

That's just a generalized answer, of course, and there's much deeper detail that can be gone into - including what White and Black Magic actually are, and matters like Succor (the White Mage's magic) being left almost exclusively in the hands of the Padjal. It's been touched on here and there in other threads, though, and I'm sure someone will also be along with more in-depth explanations.

EDIT: As seen above, apparently. Laugh