Hydaelyn Role-Players
Lightning Returns video - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Lightning Returns video (/showthread.php?tid=4779)

Pages: 1 2

Lightning Returns video - Brave - 09-26-2013

[youtube]mScwhyd12Xg[/youtube]

Also got an article here from crunchyroll regarding some other fun times =)

Crunchy Roll article (Link)

Anyway super excited!  It would be nice to see some of the other Final Fantasy games get the same treatment. (I know they're showing some love for FFXI.  So fingers crossed)

RE: Lightning Returns video - TheLastCandle - 09-26-2013

FFXIII gets a lot of hate, much of it totally warranted, but I'm okay with this. 

Of course, it's a FATE, which means nobody is ever going to get to enjoy it with all of the AOE spam. Tongue

RE: Lightning Returns video - Brave - 09-26-2013

(09-26-2013, 05:39 PM)Teveriel Wrote: FFXIII gets a lot of hate, much of it totally warranted, but I'm okay with this. 

Of course, it's a FATE, which means nobody is ever going to get to enjoy it with all of the AOE spam. Tongue
You know, I really didn't mind XIII.  Did I have some complaints?  Sure.  Overall though I liked it, and I also really like Snow and Lightning's outfits from the first installment.  SO I'm really looking forward to getting these.

RE: Lightning Returns video - Naunet - 09-26-2013

Please tell me the costumes don't actually change your hair. I think I'd have to... do very bad things were that true.

RE: Lightning Returns video - Ildur - 09-26-2013

But WHY would you ever WANT to keep your COMPLETELY NORMAL AND NOT UNIQUE hair-do? Obviously, Lighting hair is very unique and will keep being unique even after everyone and their alts wear it! So unique!

Sarcasm aside, I wouldn't put it beyond Squee to make the chestpiece change your hair and disallow headgear to be used with it. But we'll see!

RE: Lightning Returns video - Brave - 09-26-2013

(09-26-2013, 06:35 PM)Naunet Wrote: Please tell me the costumes don't actually change your hair. I think I'd have to... do very bad things were that true.
I didn't even think about that... but yeah that would be pretty stinky if they made the whole outfit pretty much turn you into Lightning/Snow.  I think being able to equip it by piece would be better.  /shrug

Time will tell I guess.

RE: Lightning Returns video - TheLastCandle - 09-26-2013

I just want the Snow hat for my Roegadyn.

RE: Lightning Returns video - Gharen - 09-26-2013

Shameless cross promotion. I like it =)

RE: Lightning Returns video - Cato - 09-27-2013

I wasn't a fan of FFXIII since it felt incredibly linear with combat that was far too stale...but I do like the look of Snow's outfit. It'll be a deal breaker if my character's hairstyle changes with it, though - he'd just look silly with blonde hair. I'm also worried that the F.A.T.E will suffer from the same disappearing acts as Behemoth and Odin.

Still, I'm pretty excited at the potential for character crossovers from other Final Fantasy titles. Here's hoping that once they're done with their Lightning obsession they'll bring in some of the older, more intriguing FF characters. I hope we get to see the likes of Gabranth, Beatrix, Vossler, Balthier, Basch and Edea. Hopefully they won't just stick to the 'popular' characters, either.

RE: Lightning Returns video - KitKat - 09-27-2013

There were two reasons why I didn't like XIII much (I liked it some).

1) Too linear. There was no exploration.

and

2) I'm a bit old-fashioned. I hate seeing damage numbers like 298,937. Bring back the days where everything capped at 9,999 and I'll be happy!

Almost forgot to post about the XIV tie-in! I like the idea of cross-game characters. It makes me look forward to future additions. However, it's like another poster said, you'll never get to see the FATE due to spell/ability spam.

Is it going to be a permanent F.A.T.E, or only around for a short time? If it's the former, the initial wave of interest will subside enough for people to eventually see it as intended. If it's the latter, however, then I fear it'll just be constantly bloated with players.

RE: Lightning Returns video - Moondoggie - 09-27-2013

It's not really a point of which fate it is. Any of them get mobbed with players because they camp areas waiting for them to spawn and then rush in.  They are hardly ever up long enough to really be enjoyed.

And i see this has turned into the same regurgitated nonsense about why FFXIII was bad. "Too linear" ALL the games are linear. FF has never been very open apart from in MMO form and even then it's not really open either. The Japanese don't make games with much in the way of exploration instead going for tight storylines. There is very little difference between XIII and VII or VIII apart from the fact many people played them when they were young and it has the nostalgia factor.

FFXIII is considered linear because there's absolutely no flexibility in regards to where you can go until very late into the game. You're on rails for the vast majority of the experience, whilst in other Final Fantasy titles you could go to higher level area sooner than expected and indulge in a vast variety of side-quests along the way. In FFXII I could take my party to the Necrohol of Nabudis and certain other high level areas long before it was recommended which brought about a brilliant risk and reward scenario. Many of the older Final Fantasy games are similar in that regard, especially if you take the time to complete the numerous side-quests on offer. So no, it's not a case of nostalgia - it's a case of FFXIII being utterly linear whilst previous titles boasted a much more flexible experience.

As for the F.A.T.E system, I feel it suffers from similar issues to the dynamic event system in GW2. Too many players show up, the events either take too long to complete or are over far too quickly and if you're not in a party it's near impossible to earn a high rating unless you're a tank or healer.

RE: Lightning Returns video - TheLastCandle - 09-27-2013

There are things that I felt XIII did really well, I actually liked the battle system, switching between Paradigms, getting that flow down.  My issue wasn't so much with its linearity (the game opens up once you get to Gran Pulse) as it was with the story/characters. Trying to 5-star the monster hunts was great fun.

I thought XIII-2 made a lot of improvements. The game opened up early on, allowing you to choose the order in which you do things to some extent. Instant shift for Paradigms was a godsend.

At any rate, Lightning as a character seems to have a lot of haters among the FF community. I can't disagree with the notion that she lacks personality, but I felt the same about Cloud for most of VII and Squall for pretty much all of VIII.

Theodric Ironheart Wrote:As for the F.A.T.E system, I feel it suffers from similar issues to the dynamic event system in GW2. Too many players show up, the events either take too long to complete or are over far too quickly and if you're not in a party it's near impossible to earn a high rating unless you're a tank or healer.

I agree with this. I'm not sure what can be done about it, though. People are using FATEs for easy exp because there simply aren't enough quests once you go through the content with your first class. I suppose one solution might be an overall buff to leves, giving more allowances per day, along with increasing exp rewards from Battlecraft leves.

RE: Lightning Returns video - Pondahl - 09-27-2013

Yep, this looks like it could be really rather fun~ Going to see about giving it a try late afternoon during the week once it's available, when there are less people running about *Sage nod*