Hydaelyn Role-Players
Opinions on the V.O. for This Game - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Opinions on the V.O. for This Game (/showthread.php?tid=4792)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Opinions on the V.O. for This Game - Tobias Nightbringer - 09-27-2013

Title kind of says it all. I was sifting through random forums and threads to brush up on Hydaelyn history when I stumbled across a thread where a fellow voice over artist was complaining about how bad the V.O. was in this game.

What little of the V.O. I've heard thus far hasn't been really all that bad, but I was curious as to what my fellow RPers think.

Do you love the acting?

Do you think it is just passable?

Do you cringe and feel like their voice is shattering your RP immersion?

Do you change the language to Japanese to make it feel more 'natural'?

I'm mainly just curious as to the thoughts and opinions from everyone.

I hope I posted this on the right board!

RE: Opinions on the V.O. for This Game - Faye - 09-27-2013

It's pretty hit or miss, in my opinion. Most of the major characters have great voice acting, but the acting for some of the less important characters in some of the cutscenes is... sometimes rather laughable. xD

RE: Opinions on the V.O. for This Game - Roda - 09-27-2013

I've used the English voices this entire time, and they aren't too bad (I mean they're certainly not QUALITY, but they're not as horrid as some would have you believe).
My biggest issue is that the animations are just too robotic for me. (Turns SO fast, no thought when reaching into a pocket and handing my character an invisible thing when they're forever away, mouth flaps just packmanning about, no animation flows with the next animation...)

RE: Opinions on the V.O. for This Game - Brent Stone - 09-27-2013

Been about half-and-half for me so far. Some of the voice-overs have been surprisingly good, but I've noticed a few that have made me cringe.

Papalymo nearly gave me a migraine as well as the priest in the Church of Saint Adama Landama; that's about as far as I've gotten in the story line, but I've found I'm much more fond of the female voice-overs in this game than I am of the male voice-overs thus far.

RE: Opinions on the V.O. for This Game - Faye - 09-27-2013

(09-27-2013, 04:51 AM)Roda Wrote: I've used the English voices this entire time, and they aren't too bad (I mean they're certainly not QUALITY, but they're not as horrid as some would have you believe).
My biggest issue is that the animations are just too robotic for me. (Turns SO fast, no thought when reaching into a pocket and handing my character an invisible thing when they're forever away, mouth flaps just packmanning about, no animation flows with the next animation...)

[Image: c2m.gif]

I have no idea what you're talking about.

RE: Opinions on the V.O. for This Game - Tobias Nightbringer - 09-27-2013

(09-27-2013, 04:54 AM)Faye Wrote:
(09-27-2013, 04:51 AM)Roda Wrote:
Show Content

LMFAAOAOAOAOAOAOAO KFRGHBHBHORLDl I just LOST my shit seeing this xDDD

RE: Opinions on the V.O. for This Game - Brent Stone - 09-27-2013

(09-27-2013, 04:54 AM)Faye Wrote: [Image: c2m.gif]

Cannot... stop... giggling...

RE: Opinions on the V.O. for This Game - LiadansWhisper - 09-27-2013

(09-27-2013, 04:47 AM)Tobias Nightbringer Wrote: Title kind of says it all. I was sifting through random forums and threads to brush up on Hydaelyn history when I stumbled across a thread where a fellow voice over artist was complaining about how bad the V.O. was in this game.

What little of the V.O. I've heard thus far hasn't been really all that bad, but I was curious as to what my fellow RPers think.

Do you love the acting?

Some yes, some no. 

Quote:Do you think it is just passable?

For the most part.

Quote:Do you cringe and feel like their voice is shattering your RP immersion?

Occasionally.

Quote:Do you change the language to Japanese to make it feel more 'natural'?

Nope.

Quote:I'm mainly just curious as to the thoughts and opinions from everyone.

I hope I posted this on the right board!

Minfilia's voice makes me want to kick people.  The scene where Kan-E-Senna invites you to be the Emissary had the most hilariously terrible voice acting (apart from her voice).  I honestly giggled.

The only voices I really "liked" were Kan-E-Senna, the Admiral, Raubhan (prolly misspelling his name), the Sultana, and Alphinaud and his sister.

(09-27-2013, 04:54 AM)Faye Wrote:
(09-27-2013, 04:51 AM)Roda Wrote: I've used the English voices this entire time, and they aren't too bad (I mean they're certainly not QUALITY, but they're not as horrid as some would have you believe).

I can't stop laughing...

RE: Opinions on the V.O. for This Game - Rinh Hallani - 09-27-2013

Hahaha oh my GOD. Big Grin

I liked Raubahn and Urianger (Gideon Emery, mmmm!) but most of the others were either forgettable or flat-out cringe worthy.

RE: Opinions on the V.O. for This Game - LiadansWhisper - 09-27-2013

(09-27-2013, 05:29 AM)Rinh Hallani Wrote:

Hahaha oh my GOD. Big Grin

I liked Raubahn and Urianger (Gideon Emery, mmmm!) but most of the others were either forgettable or flat-out cringe worthy.

I was really quite annoyed that Urianger had like, 3 lines total.  Angry

RE: Opinions on the V.O. for This Game - Tobias Nightbringer - 09-27-2013

(09-27-2013, 05:29 AM)Rinh Hallani Wrote: Hahaha oh my GOD. Big Grin

Even his name (Gideon xD) is epic. I have yet to hear Urianger yet. I r a lowbie still T.T Spending too much time RPing with all the lovely people abouts here!

NONE OF THE REGRETS xD

RE: Opinions on the V.O. for This Game - cuideag - 09-27-2013

That is GLORIOUS.

I think the VOs, however, are not. Underwhelming would be the word I would use.

RE: Opinions on the V.O. for This Game - Clover - 09-27-2013

I've only played with Japanese voices myself. The only time I heard an English voice was when I accidentally clicked one of the trailers, thinking that it'd be in Japanese. I only heard the crystal speaking in English and I can't say I liked it.

Granted, I'm not an English speaker myself, so I don't know how good or bad it's supposed to be; I just know it didn't sound good to me, especially comparing it with her original voice.

(In any case, since English isn't my mother tongue, I have no reasons to play a Japanese game dubbed in a foreign language that's not Japanese).

RE: Opinions on the V.O. for This Game - Cato - 09-27-2013

It's pretty standard for an MMO. WoW and GW2 boasted some brilliant and memorable bits of voice acting only to be dragged down somewhat by mediocre or outright awful voice work elsewhere. FFXIV is no different in that regard, though I've been pleasantly surprised. A special mention goes to Livia sas Junius since her voice is incredible, fearsome and very reminiscent of the Archadian Judges of FFXII.

RE: Opinions on the V.O. for This Game - K'dath - 09-27-2013

ohgod, I thought the voice acting is absolutely abyssal.

Square isn't legendary for having the best dubs (ohgodTidus), but at least they usually hire people who sound professional. I could google them and go "Oh, THAT's where I heard Mr. Frowns-a-Lot before." But this time... euhg. It's like they blew the voice acting fund on more writers to come up with the godawful puns for every quest and fate. 

Glad to see I'm not the only fellow who can always appreciate mister Emery's work though. By now he's really nailed that 'no nonsense elf' character he keeps getting cast as. He was certainly the best of the Scions, but his dialogue is sadly lacking (in my experience thusfar) apparently to leave room for more lines from my bane...

Thancred.

Looking at him, I was sure he would be an interesting character that I would surely like and would look up to fondly as my white-haired, smarmy dark horse. You just get a feel for these things after so many Square games. But then he opened his mouth... and every word that poured out made me just want to smack him across the face with my lexicon. And he never shuts up. The character ruffled my feathers enough as he was presented to me, but the voice acting really struck a chord... an annoying, hateful chord.

Then I looked him up, because I knew, somewhere before, I'd heard this voice. The other voices might make me cringe with their amateur-ish-ness, but something about Thancred just made me hate him... Apparently he shared a voice actor with Darion Morgraine of World of Warcraft. Who's another character I've wanted to slap every time I talked to him. For being 'High Lord' over hundreds/thousands of zombie murder machines powered by rage, he's a whiny bitch.

Of course that's just my opinion. I'm very dramatic when it comes to voice actors, with the same intensity high school girls fawn over celebrities, hahaha~