Hydaelyn Role-Players
Let's get some Garlean role-play going! - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Let's get some Garlean role-play going! (/showthread.php?tid=4873)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Let's get some Garlean role-play going! - Cato - 10-01-2013

I've recently reached the conclusion of the main storyline in FFXIV and I've come to look upon the Garlean Empire with a mixture of awe and respect. I find them to be very intriguing and their motives aren't as flawed or questionable as I was initially led to believe - especially when one considers that each of the major city states present in Eorzea has a lot of blood on their hands. With that in mind the tensions between the inhabitants of Eorzea and the Garlean Empire can easily come across as being a case of shades of grey and well intentioned extremism rather than a situation of holier-than-thou versus outright evil.

You're probably wondering where I'm going with this, eh? Simply put, I'm looking for a handful of other like-minded role-players to invest in some Garlean role-play! This is the part where it gets a tad complex, though. I'm well aware that there's a handful of role-players already playing defectors of the Garlean Empire, though that isn't really what I'm looking for. What I'm seeking is people willing to role-play individuals who are currently devoted to the Garlean Empire. Naturally this isn't going to make our characters very popular and for the sake of realism we'll essentially be kill-on-sight should we wander close to pretty much any settlement in the game.

So this isn't going to be something that'll lead to a drink in a tavern or a bout of fishing in the comforting embrace of Limsa Lominsa. This'll be about survival, which leads me towards my next point - one that involves some pretty major spoilers for the main story:

Show Content

This is all rather ambitious, though. So I suppose I'd best set down some ground rules:
  • It isn't any fun when people adopt a mentality along the lines of 'the good guys must always win'. For role-play to be truly interesting there needs to be losses and victories on both sides. 
  • Things need to be reasonably fair. I don't want to see any meta-gaming if the remnants decide to hole up in a secluded location and then suddenly half of the server arrives for no reason other than to treat us as fodder to fuel their characters' heroics.
  • There's a lot of stuff we don't know about the Garlean Empire and it's people. We'll be striving to do our best to work with their lore as it is depicted though we'll need to take some liberties in order to fill in the gaps. I want this to be done in a way that doesn't feel contrived or immersion breaking.
  • This isn't about ranks, titles or being the next Gaius van Baelsar. It's about the intrigue that arises when individuals fighting for a cause they feel strongly about are forced into hiding. This may include a power struggle, rivalries and even doubt towards the methods and motives used during the campaign in Eorzea.
  • If suitably disguised we may venture into some of the smaller settlements in order to acquire information and supplies, though this will be a very rare occurrence with a strong chance of things backfiring for the sake of realism. 
I think I've rambled on enough for now, though for those curious I'll be creating a brand new character for this project and expect others to do the same. There's a few reasons for this:

- The Garlean naming conventions are pretty interesting. We don't know the specifics, but I'm sure we can piece together some suitable names. It'd be pretty cool for each character involved in the project to have a Roman or pseudo-Roman name.

- Since random role-play is going to be difficult and largely antagonistic I think it'd be best if people relied on their main character(s) to sate their desire for tavern and city role-play.

- It'll put us all on a similar playing field right off of the bat. It's likely that we'll all level at different paces and degrees of efficiency but if all goes well we'll be able to help each other out and tackle those pesky story dungeons together instead of waiting in queues for ages!

Right, I already said I'd stop rambling. So I'll do that! This is still in the early stages and I'd love to hear constructive feedback and ideas sent my way.

RE: Let's get some Garlean role-play going! - LandStander - 10-01-2013

I am already ahead of you. I have a character who is still loyal to the empire, but he is basically acting as a saboteur. He spreads rumors, lies, etc., in an attempt to sow seeds of distrust and chaos in Eorzea. Though on the outside he seems like a nice guy. If you would love to get together and collaborate. I am mostly on my main Dennthota Ahtahrmwyn if you want to talk in game.

RE: Let's get some Garlean role-play going! - Cato - 10-01-2013

(10-01-2013, 11:48 PM)LandStander Wrote: I am already ahead of you. I have a character who is still loyal to the empire, but he is basically acting as a saboteur. He spreads rumors, lies, etc., in an attempt to sow seeds of distrust and chaos in Eorzea. Though on the outside he seems like a nice guy. If you would love to get together and collaborate. I am mostly on my main Dennthota Ahtahrmwyn if you want to talk in game.

That sounds great! I'd definitely be up for working something out with you. Smile

I'll toss you a message in-game as soon as I can.

RE: Let's get some Garlean role-play going! - Naunet - 10-02-2013

One character of mine, Sah'ot Kith, was a Garlean spy embedded in one of the many poacher groups within the Shroud. There was an incident, things went wrong, and certain interests stepped in just in time to save her cover from being blown. She's currently serving as the Commerce Regulation Agency's primary "eyes and ears" in the Shroud and is very much a Garlean loyalist. It's entirely possible your character would have regular but secret contact with her - or the other "top" members of the CRA (Illira Carceri, Ildur Vaernian, and D'hein Tia) - to get updates from the field, intel, plan and plot, and maybe even just commiserate every so often.

I also have another character, Naunet Brandt, who was a native Ala Mhigan involved in the insurrection that toppled the ruler of the city-state and put the Empire in his place. She is currently on the run after deserting her legion following an incident that left her feeling ashamed and unfit to serve. Obviously the Empire doesn't take kindly to deserters, so she is doing her best to blend in with Eorzeans. However, she still maintains loyalty to Garlemond and though she is in hiding, she is ever looking for a way to get "back" with the Empire that wouldn't leave her shot dead.

So yea, definitely interested in making connections ICly!

RE: Let's get some Garlean role-play going! - LandStander - 10-02-2013

Naunet, you and I are destined to be friends. It seems like every idea I like to get behind you do as well <3

RE: Let's get some Garlean role-play going! - Cato - 10-02-2013

(10-02-2013, 12:01 AM)Naunet Wrote: One character of mine, Sah'ot Kith, was a Garlean spy embedded in one of the many poacher groups within the Shroud. There was an incident, things went wrong, and certain interests stepped in just in time to save her cover from being blown. She's currently serving as the Commerce Regulation Agency's primary "eyes and ears" in the Shroud and is very much a Garlean loyalist. It's entirely possible your character would have regular but secret contact with her - or the other "top" members of the CRA (Illira Carceri, Ildur Vaernian, and D'hein Tia) - to get updates from the field, intel, plan and plot, and maybe even just commiserate every so often.

I also have another character, Naunet Brandt, who was a native Ala Mhigan involved in the insurrection that toppled the ruler of the city-state and put the Empire in his place. She is currently on the run after deserting her legion following an incident that left her feeling ashamed and unfit to serve. Obviously the Empire doesn't take kindly to deserters, so she is doing her best to blend in with Eorzeans. However, she still maintains loyalty to Garlemond and though she is in hiding, she is ever looking for a way to get "back" with the Empire that wouldn't leave her shot dead.

So yea, definitely interested in making connections ICly!

I'm happy to work alongside both characters! It'd give my own character a solid reason to head to Gridania, perhaps in search of a reliable ally. As for Naunet, my own 'Garlean' is from Ala Mhigo due to having grown up there. He was rather young when the region was put under Garlean control and ended up serving their cause loyally as a soldier when he came of age. In the present day he's stranded in Eorzea after the events of the main story, so I'm sure we can find some way of tying them together! He's not going to be without mercy, especially given the fate he's witnessed many of his comrades suffer.

RE: Let's get some Garlean role-play going! - LiadansWhisper - 10-02-2013

This sounds great, although my character wouldn't fit in with it.

On the other hand, like I said to you in game, Theo, if you guys are subtle about it, it's totally possible for you to move relatively unhindered since there doesn't appear to be any real "checks" on population/trade between areas.

(10-02-2013, 12:35 AM)LiadansWhisper Wrote: This sounds great, although my character wouldn't fit in with it.

On the other hand, like I said to you in game, Theo, if you guys are subtle about it, it's totally possible for you to move relatively unhindered since there doesn't appear to be any real "checks" on population/trade between areas.

I'll definitely be taking the time to visit Gridania, hopefully our paths will cross one way or another! Smile

In other news my patience paid off and I managed to create my character when Balmung opened up again! He'll be using a variety of different names whilst travelling through Eorzea, though he'll be known as Caesius Baelthar among his comrades and friends. That's also his in-game name for those looking to contact me!

RE: Let's get some Garlean role-play going! - ArmachiA - 10-02-2013

Me and Ellion both have a brother/sister team who are loyal to the Empire and are only in Eorzea asking as spies and whatnot. We were planning on using them in a storyline for our guild later, but I'd love to give them a more prominent role on the server! You can get a hold of me on my mains or send me a PM Smile

RE: Let's get some Garlean role-play going! - Claris - 10-02-2013

I rolled a Miqo'te alt just for this purpose. While she's not fully fleshed out, the basic gist is that she and her Elezen pirate captain were captured by the Garleans and are currently employed as spies. P'lahmui Muhih herself has been planted inside Limsa Lominsa (and eventually the Maelstrom) as a fledgling adventurer and arcanist to keep tabs on the city-state and its grand company.

I don't know the full story behind the Empire, as I haven't finished the game yet, so she only knows what she needs to know.

I tend to only level her a bit on weekends, so if she works please toss me a PM and I'd be happy to speed things up a bit. Big Grin

RE: Let's get some Garlean role-play going! - Dogberry - 10-02-2013

Fresh Bread, bard out of Gridania, reluctantly loyal to the Garleans. Let's meet up and get plotting!

I've set up a LS for the sake of keeping in touch and bouncing ideas off of one another. It's aptly named 'The Garlean Empire' and I'll happily throw an invite towards those of you looking to get involved. I should be online fairly often on at least one of my characters, so feel free to poke me!

RE: Let's get some Garlean role-play going! - Ildur - 10-02-2013

I have some reservations about using post main-storyline events as the basis for this. There are some logistic problems with it. For one, there are people who might not have reached that point yet. Then there are people who will have their roleplay in a completely incompatible chronology. I will wager that the great majority of the roleplayers will have their micro-canons locked in the status-quo stablished at the beggining of the storyline. Garleans have various outposts across Eorzea, they are preparing for war but haven't done anything more than skirmishes. And the Grand Companies are focusing on reconstruction.

Show Content

MMO roleplay is always placed in a limbo between some point before the start of the despicted in-game storyline and the start of the storyline itself. In part because not all players will finish the storyline at the same time but, more importantly, because post-storyline events are never reflected on the game world. Everything is in a sort of time stasis.
Placing your own chronology anywhere after that stasis will be locking people out of your roleplay due to the clashing disparities between micro-canons: you will be way ahead of them chronologically speaking.

This is why I have reseves about your proposed scenario, Theodric. I do think that it is an interesting one and that it would be great fun exploring it, mind. It's just that I think it has too much potential to lock people out of each other's roleplay.

RE: Let's get some Garlean role-play going! - LiadansWhisper - 10-02-2013

(10-02-2013, 02:44 PM)Ildur Wrote: This is why I have reseves about your proposed scenario, Theodric. I do think that it is an interesting one and that it would be great fun exploring it, mind. It's just that I think it has too much potential to lock people out of each other's roleplay.

I guess I really don't understand why we should or would exclude the events in the Main Storyline from the overall state of the game.  :-\

Sure, people may not have gotten there yet, but most intelligent individuals are able to separate what they haven't experienced in-game yet from the overall story.  What's more, there are a lot of people who already don't feel "comfortable" RPing without hitting 50 and seeing everything.  So does that mean everyone else should do that?

If people want to gate themselves at the start of the story, they're free to.  But I don't think it's fair to expect other people to do the same.

RE: Let's get some Garlean role-play going! - DAISHI - 10-02-2013

I love playing the bad guy.