Hydaelyn Role-Players
The Grindstone - Saturdays at 10 PM EST (9 PM Central) - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Resources (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+--- Forum: Roleplay Events (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=20)
+--- Thread: The Grindstone - Saturdays at 10 PM EST (9 PM Central) (/showthread.php?tid=4919)

RE: The Grindstone - Saturdays at 10 PM EST (9 PM Central) - Cliodhna Eoghan - 02-20-2015

i'll prolly be hanging around for part of it again too tomorrow. o3o

RE: The Grindstone - Saturdays at 10 PM EST (9 PM Central) - Gegenji - 02-20-2015

Chachan's attendance will be dependent on how long the Menphina pilgrimage goes for (and any aftermath RP that may come from it). He still needs his practice, but things always seem to pop up to capture his attentions at the weirdest of times.

RE: The Grindstone - Saturdays at 10 PM EST (9 PM Central) - Warren Castille - 02-20-2015

I, too, have business at the Pilgrimage, but there's a five hour gap between start times so hopefully it won't delay anything too much.

In other news, the Standings tab is back up to date! I initially wanted to track stuff like "longest streak" and the like, similar to sports standings, but given the only-one-person-doesn't-lose nature of the event, that doesn't lend itself too well.

Anyone have any stats or anything they'd specifically want tracked?

RE: The Grindstone - Saturdays at 10 PM EST (9 PM Central) - Gegenji - 02-20-2015

I'd think so too, but the Halone aftermath was... quite lengthy for Chachan, so you never know.

As for stats, though, there's really not a lot of them TO track. Number of times participated, number of wins/losses... that's about it unless you want to start going into some goofier metadata like "which weapon sees the most victory" of "Bridge vs. Rock vs. Tree Victory ratios." That sort of thing. I'm sure someone might be interested in that sort of thing, but that's going a bit far afield.

... I'm just kinda sad that this got started after Chachan's one and only Grindstone win, but I suppose all the other previous champions probably would've liked their victories recorded too. Laugh

I just look at Chachan's little 1-2 and think "That's totally more of a 5-4 or something." Blush

RE: The Grindstone - Saturdays at 10 PM EST (9 PM Central) - Desu Nee - 02-20-2015

How many times a profanity is spoken out loud.

I dare you.

RE: The Grindstone - Saturdays at 10 PM EST (9 PM Central) - Warren Castille - 02-20-2015

@Chachanji:

I agree, I didn't realize I'd end up being The Guy at some point so I wasn't tallying anything, and while I know some definite winners from some night, it wouldn't be proper to grandfather in some wins over some others. That's why my listings only really "start" at the end of January. Sad

I might start bringing up random football trivia, though. "A fighter with a name beginning with a consonant beginning at the Bridge has never lost the championship fight as long as their opponent's name begins with a vowel" sort of things.

@Das Knees

If I had radio hearing, I'd do it. I initially wanted to track methods of winning, i.e. KO, opponent surrender, too damaged to continue, but I can only "see" the matches happening on top of me, and there's a lot of log to ask my Overseers to dig through to get me that info.

RE: The Grindstone - Saturdays at 10 PM EST (9 PM Central) - Jancis - 02-20-2015

Because there are so many performances, hopefully most of the aftermath of the pilgrimage will be personal. There's no people set up to keep it going for after the big celebration. Blush

I'll try to make it too especially for the first round overflow of beat-up people. Though I did notice a neat change in the Grindstone that really helped keep things going along with the very short healing and refreshing the winners to keep them moving along.

I'm actually curious if people enjoy their characters being "tended" to with longer text healing RP or if that's phased out.

It might be more fun to have that with the losers instead of the winners, that way one person isn't being overly 'tended' to and it doesn't slow down the matches.

Geek

(02-20-2015, 02:25 PM)Jancis Wrote: Because there are so many performances, hopefully most of the aftermath of the pilgrimage will be personal. There's no people set up to keep it going for after the big celebration. Blush

I'll try to make it too especially for the first round overflow of beat-up people. Though I did notice a neat change in the Grindstone that really helped keep things going along with the very short healing and refreshing the winners to keep them moving along.

I'm actually curious if people enjoy their characters being "tended" to with longer text healing RP or if that's phased out.

It might be more fun to have that with the losers instead of the winners, that way one person isn't being overly 'tended' to and it doesn't slow down the matches.

Geek

I understand that RP Happens (quick, someone put that on a bumper sticker!) so it's no issue if people miss the bell because of another event.

If you can make it, Jancis, I'd greatly appreciate that too! It's always great to see people volunteering to heal; Healing and Overseeing are pretty thankless jobs that tend to be pretty handcuffed in terms of getting to RP. I will admit, though, that after losing a fight and having a healer and onlooker support was a relief and much enjoyed for me. A winner is either immediately paired up with someone or waiting to be paired up, but getting to linger in the dust with someone taking care of you and people helping you up is awesome.

It's also been nice that most of the folks competing now aren't trying to split each wide open in the first round; I've noticed a lot of maneuvering and trying to outskill foes as opposed to attempting to break the pinata in the first swing.

(02-20-2015, 02:25 PM)Jancis Wrote: I'm actually curious if people enjoy their characters being "tended" to with longer text healing RP or if that's phased out.

Geek

I rather enjoy it, since it helps make the healers seem more there and more people rather than just healing machines for the combatants. The event, while mostly about the fighters, also consists of those in charge, the healers, and the crowd. And if you still have to wait on another match to finish, what's the harm with being tended to by one of the healers?

And I'm always for there being stuff for the losers to do too. Chachan's been lucky enough that his friends have been showing up in surprising numbers the last couple matches, so there's plenty of RP for him afterward. Even if it makes me as a player feel bad about having washed out in the first or second round. Laugh

As for trivia, Warren, that seems a bit obtuse. I'd rather simple ones like "This female Miqo'te has won twice using a bow and arrow. What is her name?" or "The Hyena lost a match in what humiliating way during the Valientone's Day Brawl?" Still would require tracking both weapons and defeats like you said, though...

(02-20-2015, 02:36 PM)Gegenji Wrote: As for trivia, Warren, that seems a bit obtuse. I'd rather simple ones like "This female Miqo'te has won twice using a bow and arrow. What is her name?" or "The Hyena lost a match in what humiliating way during the Valientone's Day Brawl?" Still would require tracking both weapons and defeats like you said, though...

It's the same question every week.

"THE BEAST OF THE GRINDSTONE, LIZBET SHARPE, WAS DEFEATED BY WHAT UNARMED AND UNARMORED MAN WHO WOULD THEN GO ON TO BECOME CHAMPION?"

RE: The Grindstone - Saturdays at 10 PM EST (9 PM Central) - Jancis - 02-20-2015

(02-20-2015, 02:36 PM)Gegenji Wrote: I rather enjoy it, since it helps make the healers seem more there and more people rather than just healing machines for the combatants. The event, while mostly about the fighters, also consists of those in charge, the healers, and the crowd. And if you still have to wait on another match to finish, what's the harm with being tended to by one of the healers?

Goly Chachan... you make it sound like a reward. Blush

*stocks up on behemoth-print bandages, rock candy sticks, and waterskins for the next time*

RE: The Grindstone - Saturdays at 10 PM EST (9 PM Central) - Star Lin - 02-20-2015

(02-20-2015, 01:49 PM)Warren Castille Wrote: We're always happy to have folks turn up to watch, and we're doubly/triply happy to have some extra healers on hand.
John should have the airships unlock today so I might have Kest get lost in the crowd and hop on John.  Maybe have him happen upon the lot and offer up to heal if the others are busy.  Then he 'fades' into the background as Kest appears to watch the next match.

*Dang, kind of wish I had two different accounts to pull off both being there at the same time*

RE: The Grindstone - Saturdays at 10 PM EST (9 PM Central) - Warren Castille - 02-22-2015

Another night, another Grindstone in the books. I'm short of screenshots this week, but it was another barn-burner. We had 24 people ready to fight, and people were out at the 'Wash before 8PM! There was a ton of pre-game RP that included some very stern talking-tos and a spar between an overseer and last week's champion.

When all was said and done, though, we crowned a new champion in Sigrid "The Unspeakable Last Name" Jerriksdottir and took another 50k bite out of that delicious 1,000,000 gil pot.

Though, something interesting happened during the event...

Show Content

RE: The Grindstone - Saturdays at 10 PM EST (9 PM Central) - Tyndles - 02-22-2015

I fought in my first one today, had a lot of fun!  Will definitely come to more.

RE: The Grindstone - Saturdays at 10 PM EST (9 PM Central) - Kishi - 02-22-2015

Fun times at the Grindstone on Saturdays! I'll get you covered for screen shots in the morning ,Warren. to damn tired tonight for me sort through all of them, and get them compiled in a post.