Hydaelyn Role-Players
world of darkness - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Off-Topic (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: world of darkness (/showthread.php?tid=5209)

Pages: 1 2 3

world of darkness - Izzy66 - 10-22-2013

Have any of you played world of darkness? I bought the game online and it should come soon in mail, if you don't know what wod is it's simply table top horror rpg where player can be a monster they start out as mortals and then they can choose are they gonna be a vampire, werewolf, mage, changeling or a hunter.

RE: world of darkness - Nimarhie - 10-22-2013

Kinda got it backwards... werewolves, changelings, and mages usually start out that way. Vampires can, but I think most people like RPing the Embrace or whatever they called it. Hunters are still mortal, and don't have anything supernatural about them (except maybe Faith I think).

Also: Changeling the Lost ftw! Big Grin

RE: world of darkness - Izzy66 - 10-22-2013

(10-22-2013, 05:49 PM)Nimarhie Wrote: Kinda got it backwards... werewolves, changelings, and mages usually start out that way. Vampires can, but I think most people like RPing the Embrace or whatever they called it. Hunters are still mortal, and don't have anything supernatural about them (except maybe Faith I think).

Also: Changeling the Lost ftw! Big Grin

Thanks for correcting me

Changelings are pretty depressing in my opinion yeah vampire requiem is dark but god becoming a changeling is horrible

RE: world of darkness - Fates Skein - 10-22-2013

I'm in an IRC Changeling: the Lost campaign now and I've played in old World of Darkness games for ~10 years and new WoD games (changeling and werewolf) for ~2 years. Smile

I am a big fan of the oWoD- I loved the game Bloodlines, anyone remember that?

RE: world of darkness - elisan - 10-22-2013

much like Fates, Im a long time WoD player/GM - Ive played pretty much every venue they've come out with at least once - and I also agree..old world is far superior in most regards, except for Changeling. The Lost is everything the Dreaming should have been from the get go.  Old world Mage, Hunter and Werewolf, were my venues of choice, with a little Mummy and some Gypsies thrown in there for good measure! The new world stuff, in my opinion are just lacking..except Changeling. Love me some Lost.  I ran a Hunter game that lasted 4 years..good times!

Fates - what's your IRC chat? I've done "javachat" based online WoD games long long ago..

RE: world of darkness - Lady Whiteraven - 10-22-2013

Same here, I have been running and playing in world of darkness games since a friend showed me the vampire the masquerade book back in 1994. So many, many years of playing/running. I can only agree with the sentiments posted above. There was such a rich mythos and poetry weaved into the older versions.

And yes Fates, I not only remember that game but will reinstall it and play it again from time to time. \/---\/ hehe

RE: world of darkness - K'dath - 10-22-2013

I'm a long time Werewolf player (New and Old, totes lovin W20), and off-an-on GM. I played a little OWoD Vampire and a bit of NWoD Mage, I'd like to try Promethean, but my passion is always the giant hairy monsters living among us ...or in my case a gangly, mangy coyote-esque abomination living in a garbage can.

Right now I'm GM'ing CoC though, so it'll be a while before I'll have time in my RPG schedule for another Werewolf campaign. I'd like to do a Changing Breeds campaign, to go with the new W20 Printing. Because... you know... Weresharks.
Like you need another reason.

RE: world of darkness - Brave - 10-22-2013

Big fan of WoD here too.

The whole series of games was awesome (And I'm FLOORED by the amount of Changeling players ><  WHERE WERE YOU ALL WHEN MY LARP WAS OVERRUN WITH GAROU AND 6 FOOT TUXEDOED MOSQUITOES?!)

I loved all the games though and although I haven't dabbled too much with the new setting, the old rules are still close to my heart =)

I didn't know about this new WoD game though.  I'm getting paid soon, and it might be worth looking into.  Does anyone have a link to the game or a reputable reviewer to see what they're offering?

RE: world of darkness - Nimarhie - 10-23-2013

I *hated* the Dreaming, except for the actual Dreaming part of the setting, which I thought was pretty good... my favourite thing in the Deep Dreaming was the Great Engine. What is it? What's it do? How do you turn it on? What are those funny letters on it? WHO KNOWS!!

The mechanics and setting for owod Changeling were horribly depressing. the Lost however, I totally agree, was what the Dreaming should have and could have been. I miss the fun kiths though; Pwca (Pooka) and Coblynau (knockers), were my two favourites.

Dark Ages: Fae on the other hand was my favourite owod Changeling book, that was just brilliantly done.

I still have the 99% of the owod Changeling book, just cause I was a packrat, and I figured they might be worth some money since they are all out of print now. o3o Have almost all the Lost books as well.

Oh, and I agree with the others who say they don't like the new version except for the Lost. Owod ftw!

RE: world of darkness - Dogberry - 10-24-2013

I am a Mage; the Ascension dork. Love that game, and love the philosophy around consensus based reality. In my current game, I play a member of the Order of Hermes who is essentially becoming The Doctor. I also run a Hunter: the Reckoning game that meets every now and then. I am so mean to my players.

I cut my teeth on Vampire: the Masquerade waaaaaay back in the day, when I was but a young pup. Never got into Werewolf or Changeling in oWoD.

For New WoD, I just can't get behind Vampire or Mage. Well, I say that, but if someone started a New Wave Requiem game I'd jump in faster than you can say "Radical!" I tried to get into Geist: the Sin-Eaters, but the core book is an absolute mess, and with such little support I find the game to be absolutely unplayable. I disavow that Hunter: the Vigil even exists. The only nWoD game that I even like is Changeling: the Lost. Man, let me tell you about that game.

I got so into Changeling: the Lost it was kind of scary. I can't play it anymore. The whole premise of Changeling: the Lost is a great metaphor for what life is like for victims of abuse. As someone with PTSD, Changeling: the Lost was essentially a road map to my damage. I loved the game. Finally, it felt like there were other people who understood what I went through, and I was glad to have the game as a way of expressing and explaining myself. But, it got to the point where playing the game just wasn't healthy anymore. I couldn't keep opening the same old wound for  the sake of fun. It had in fact stopped being fun after a while, and I just had to quit the game. I gave an out in the narrative, and haven't gone back. Fun game, really. Just... damn.

RE: world of darkness - Haven's Fox - 10-24-2013

The Embrace has always been my favorite part to play out and excuse the lack of better words.. You slipping into the world of darkness itself. It's been a few years since I last opened my books. < Vampire The Masquerade mostly Moogle

RE: world of darkness - Fates Skein - 10-26-2013

(10-22-2013, 08:18 PM)elisan Wrote: much like Fates, Im a long time WoD player/GM - Ive played pretty much every venue they've come out with at least once - and I also agree..old world is far superior in most regards, except for Changeling. The Lost is everything the Dreaming should have been from the get go.  Old world Mage, Hunter and Werewolf, were my venues of choice, with a little Mummy and some Gypsies thrown in there for good measure! The new world stuff, in my opinion are just lacking..except Changeling. Love me some Lost.  I ran a Hunter game that lasted 4 years..good times!

Fates - what's your IRC chat? I've done "javachat" based online WoD games long long ago..

Heyla!  The IRC chat I'm in now is hosted by Games Without Borders, an international off-shoot of what used to be the Camarilla club.  It's a non-club group that currently does strictly IRC chats for folks around the world, catering primarily to soldiers. Smile  Our game is set in Trier, Germany, and there's a 'sister' game of Lost set in Prague. The group also has a Requiem game that's just getting off the ground.

I technically started with V:tM LARPing (Mind's Eye Theater, baby). Then a bit of Werewolf: the Apocalypse and one or two one-off Changeling: the Dreaming games. Did that for -years-, then moved and lost my troupe. Joined up with a group of folks in the new Camarilla (Mind's Eye Society, they're called) and played a little bit of Requiem (just can't get into it...) and then played Werewolf the Forsaken with them for quite a bit before illness made me stop LARPing. I've done Scion, V:tM, Hunter, and W:tA in tabletop, too. Love Scion. Oh! And Exalted! Played the tabletop Exalted and loved it. Smile But yeah, nowadays I'm strictly over the computer due to health stuff. I really, really miss LARPing though.

RE: world of darkness - Daca'li Molkoh - 10-26-2013

Mage=OP. 

But seriously, I love the WoD RPGs. I'm currently involved in a Vampire: The Masquerade LARP and it's probably one of the best things I've ever been involved with. I used to be involved in a Changeling game way back when, but sadly it broke apart once three of our members had to split due to issues at home. I found this Vampire game shortly after and dove right in, and now I'm rollin' around as a 8th gen Brujah! Potence ftw.

Further, if there are currently any games that are about to start online or anything, throw me a message! I'd love to be involved with more WoD games, especially Vampire. I haven't played Requiem yet, but from what I understand it'll be easy for me to grasp. I just have to look into it.

RE: world of darkness - Raccoon - 10-29-2013

I haven't really heard anything about the MMO in a long time, which is going to be full of idiots I imagine. The last real update was:

Quote:CCP is going back into lockdown while it continues work, as much to spare itself the need to churn out a constant stream of content to remind people it's still busy as to keep its secrets. It's not like it has to show much, with Eve paying the bills and no fixed deadline, as much as we want to see more. There's exactly no chance of a closed beta this year, with a release not likely until 2015, and everything seen/heard still subject to change.

Oh, except for one thing, straight from McDonough's lips to the hearts of players everywhere.

"We've banned the names Edward and Bella."

RE: world of darkness - Kismet - 10-29-2013

I'm a newbie to WoD, so I'm slowly learning about it over time. I want to be prepared by the time the WoD MMO comes out. I'm also playing VtM Bloodlines on and off. But all of that is besides the point! I just wanted to share something I thought was neat and useful.

If you're a noob like me, or are a vet looking for a refresher, clackclickbang's guides to all of the VtM clans are a very enlightening watch. He provides you with an amazing wealth of knowledge on the subject. Put it on the background while you're leveling or something. I enjoyed them!