Hydaelyn Role-Players
Extra Life in ARR - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Off-Topic (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: Extra Life in ARR (/showthread.php?tid=5248)

Extra Life in ARR - Naunet - 10-25-2013

Hey, folks! I'd like to attempt to draw your attention for a few minutes to talk to ya'll about a wonderful little thing called Extra Life.

Extra Life seeks to raise money for children who need it most doing things that children (and adults!) love to do: play games! Board games, video games, mental games, sports games - the activities don't matter so much as the spirit behind them, and that spirit is one of giving to sick kids in dire need of a little bit of light in their life.

From the mouth of Extra Life itself:

Quote:Extra Life began in 2008 as a way of honoring a young lady named Victoria Enmon. Tori’s battle against acute lymphoblastic leukemia inspired the Sarcastic Gamer Community in a way that is difficult to describe. Members sent in video games and bought gifts to keep Tori’s spirits up despite numerous hospital stays and three bouts with the deadly disease.

Tragically, we lost Tori to cancer in January 2008. Later that year, I asked my partners at Sarcastic Gamer if they would be interested in Extra Life, a 24-hour video game marathon to raise money for the hospital that treated and fought beside Tori. In 2008 and 2009 Extra Life raised a combined $302,000, 100 percent of which went directly to help kids like Tori at my local Children’s Miracle Network Hospital (Texas Children’s Hospital).

While thousands of gamers, more than 100 websites and more than 12,000 donors were happy to support Extra Life, many expressed their desire to raise money to help kids closer to home. In what I can only consider destiny, in 2009 I left behind my radio career and went to work full-time for Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals as a Radiothon Director. This life-changing event gave me unique insight into an incredible non-profit organization that helps kids all over the United States and Canada.

I quickly realized that Children's Miracle Network Hospitals would be the perfect solution to expand Extra Life into more communities.

This year, when you sign up to play video games for 25 hours on Nov. 2, 2013, you won’t just be raising money for kids. You’ll be supporting LOCAL kids and their families. Kids right in your own backyard.

All the money you raise for Extra Life 2013 will go directly to the Children’s Miracle Network Hospital of your choice.

We're getting a bit of a late start thanks to some real life busy-ness, but with a week away still, we decided there was still time to do some good ol' fundraising. Our team, the League of (Extra)Ordinary Roleplayers, has chosen our patron hospital as the Texas Children's Hospital. It is a local medical center near and dear to some of our members' hearts and a national leader in medical research and pediatric treatment. Texas Children's has changed the lives of so many kids for the better, and yet it is still heartbreaking that any child must spend time within its walls. It is the least we can do to make their lives, and the lives of their families, even just a little bit happier, a little bit easier.

With that said, I make an appeal to those on this forum to consider donating to my page and help me and my team reach our modest goal of $100 (though I would be thrilled if we managed more). Your donations will go directly to Texas Children's Hospital, which is a member of the Children's Miracle Network.

To donate, please visit my page and click "Support Me". All donations are tax deductible and guaranteed to go towards a beautiful cause!

Alternatively, you can go to the pages for the other members of our team: K R and Amelia P!

[Image: tumblr_mv7nm0GrUL1rrdk3eo1_1280.png]

RE: Extra Life in ARR - Illira - 11-01-2013

We are quite close to meeting our modest goal! Please consider supporting us. We'll be streaming our certainly zany adventures in ARR over the hours. We'll be starting at 10am EST Saturday morning. 

Information on how to donate is in Naunet's post right above this ^^^^

Thanks in advance, and hope to see some of you crazy kids joining in on the Extra-Life-super-fun-times!

RE: Extra Life in ARR - Illira - 11-02-2013

We are streaming our play over on http://www.twitch.tv/daijeen feel free to stop by and say hello!