Hydaelyn Role-Players
Any Love for Crafting RP? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Any Love for Crafting RP? (/showthread.php?tid=5253)

Any Love for Crafting RP? - Cota Orben - 10-25-2013

Hey guys, 

I know this is sort of an oddball question, but I've recently started leveling a Goldsmith up to level 50 (For more RP clothes, obviously), and I've found myself really enjoying it. The rush to collect resources on my Miner to supplement each project, the delightfully refreshing guild quest (Where you're -not- the paragon of all magical/martial might in your chosen career path) and the nice combination of strategy and luck involved in getting a high quality item.

Hells, there's levels and equipment involved. This is honestly one of the most in-depth crafting systems I've seen in a game.

I remember fond events from my Guild Wars 2 days (So, about two months ago), that revolved around crafting. Those got me to thinking... we do lack the giant furnaces and such that distinguish GW2 crafting, but what's to say people couldn't do crafting guild meetups, demonstrations of skill, and so forth?

I'll fully disclose, I'm not the sort of person to be running such a thing, my event organization is rather bogged down by university classes. I just figured I'd get the idea out there and see how you all respond. Consider it testing the water for community interest.

(Also, this doesn't have to be limited to crafting. I could see many an enjoyable expedition of Miners, Botanists, and Fisherpeople - possibly guarded by other players.)

RE: Any Love for Crafting RP? - Magellan - 10-25-2013

There a number of crafting oriented RP FC's in this game, and my FC has a weekly fishing meet up. Sounds like ur trying to inspire a larger scale event. Hope it works!

RE: Any Love for Crafting RP? - Cota Orben - 10-25-2013

(10-25-2013, 10:00 AM)Magellan Wrote: There a number of crafting oriented RP FC's in this game, and my FC has a weekly fishing meet up. Sounds like ur trying to inspire a larger scale event. Hope it works!

That's the hope. Though the knowledge of RP crafting FCs is interesting. 

I suppose it's difficult, trying to blend a fairly nuanced story with a character who hammers away at pieces of pretty metal in his off time. 

Unless there was some way to combine the two. Like Yakitake Japan, except with fewer afros.

RE: Any Love for Crafting RP? - Rosekitten - 10-25-2013

Personally when my character has nothing better to do or no other tasks he's probably dealing with his craft or gathering skills. ^^ So I like this idea of some grand scale even though I'm not really one to set this sort of thing up either to be honest heh.

RE: Any Love for Crafting RP? - Sahde Vhidgo - 10-25-2013

Considering the depth and potential for performance in FFXIV's crafting system, crafting-oriented roleplay seems fairly accessible. My main is a weaver, and cooks and fishes as a hobbyist; while it hasn't provided any roleplay avenues thus far, I've witnessed it working for others.

Color me optimistic and excited. It'd be fun to be a part of something like this.

RE: Any Love for Crafting RP? - Zope - 10-25-2013

I would definitely be up for some RP events or the like about this! I love the crafting system so much in this game that not only am I striving to max out all of them but it's a central part in my character's RP.

(That and crafting is a main way to make gil at later levels and I want a house.... >>)

RE: Any Love for Crafting RP? - Lament - 10-26-2013

I've been asking around about a market-type event, and I'm pretty sure crafters, gatherers etc would be the stars of that type of thing.

RE: Any Love for Crafting RP? - Navisse - 10-26-2013

Navisse has more than once supplemented her gil by hawking her cooking skills during dry times. She loves to feed her friends and is a bit of a mother hen about providing meals. I'd have a ton of fun with a crafting RP event Smile