Hydaelyn Role-Players
Getting From 46 to 49? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Getting From 46 to 49? (/showthread.php?tid=5299)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Getting From 46 to 49? - Edgar - 10-29-2013

So, I was just skipping along, all merry, enjoying the story cutscenes and getting pumped up for endgame, when I turn in my quest, expecting to be given another lovely, blue "!" above the NPC's head...Only for it to turn the dreaded red color.

"Oh no..." I says to myself. "Okay...what's the damage. I'm 46, so the next one should be 47, right? Surely the game is at least going to be fair-"

"49."

[Image: GifVideoGame.gif]

One episode later, I decided to see just how bad of a position I was in. Leveling to 49 wouldn't be that bad if I just had some quests available!

And the Twelve did sigh... 

"Zero side quests available and DPS role wait times for the Duty Finder."

So with no other options besides *shudder* levequests, I took to Northern Thanalan, land of endless FATES and delved into the realm of FATE grinding. 2 hours later, I had 1 quarter of my experience bar filled. Progress.

To cut a long story short I'd like to know if there's a way to make this grinding to 49 (and inevitably, 50) a little less painful. 

Please and thank you.

RE: Getting From 46 to 49? - Qhora Bajihri - 10-29-2013

Did you get in a group with those fates? 'cause I finally gave in and got into a North Than group halfway through 47 and was 50 within a few hours.

RE: Getting From 46 to 49? - Olofantur - 10-29-2013

Hello EVG,

just to check have you used the "suggestions" tool in game to see what quests might still be available? Mor Dhona and pretty much any area with the beast men strongholds will have 40+ Quests (Camp Overlook, the U tribe in South Thanalan, the Slyph camp outside the Sylphlands ect.) It is slim pickings to a certain extent, but you can make a go of it with the first character at least.

Hope that helps!

RE: Getting From 46 to 49? - Kismet - 10-29-2013

Right now, the most popular way to go about this is to grind FATEs in the Northern Thanalan (Ceruleum Processing Plant). Typically, when players hit 44-45, they will go there and stay until they're 50. The FATEs there give immense amount of exp and it's the probably the most optimal way to earn those last five levels (at least to my knowledge).

RE: Getting From 46 to 49? - LiadansWhisper - 10-29-2013

You probably need to grind FATEs.  It's honestly the fastest and most efficient way to get those last 4 levels. Smile

RE: Getting From 46 to 49? - Brave - 10-29-2013

Yeah I'll second the FATE's crowd.  Other things I did was do the initial guildheist for each bracket because they give you a completion bonus that's nice.  But they stop at 40.  So FATEs are still going to be the better route I think ><

RE: Getting From 46 to 49? - Nebbs - 10-29-2013

Things to do rather than fate grind.. 
Hunting log
Leves
Fates as you pass them
Queue for dungeons 
Crafting gathering or another class while waiting for dungeon
Check out areas you have not been to
Use the thing that tells you what is available in a zone

RE: Getting From 46 to 49? - LiadansWhisper - 10-29-2013

(10-29-2013, 05:42 AM)Nebbs Wrote: Things to do rather than fate grind.. 
Hunting log

Won't give you enough XP to actually get from 46-50.  Trust me, I tried.

Quote:Leves

Give abysmal XP as compared to actual quests OR Fates, regardless of whether you get fast completion bonuses.

Quote:Fates as you pass them

Give far less XP if you are not in an actual FATE group.

Quote:Queue for dungeons

The only dungeons really "worthwhile" to queue for at that level are Stone Vigil and Aurum Vale.  Neither dungeon is "enjoyable," and both have a surprisingly high failure rate in the DF.  You could also make the argument for Dzemael Darkhold, which has the further bonus of BoE gear you can sell on the Marketboards.  However, I don't think the XP would necessarily be worth it, especially when compared to FATE grinding.

Quote:Crafting gathering or another class while waiting for dungeon

Crafting is perhaps viable.  Gathering is not (unless it's Fishing), as you have to wait for GP to regen. Neither of these options gives the OP any XP towards his goal of 50 on a DoW/DoM class.

Quote:Check out areas you have not been to

There simply aren't enough quests to get you from 46-50.  And quite a few of the quests are, for whatever reason, locked until you're 48.  At that point, it's just plain faster to FATE grind.

Quote:Use the thing that tells you what is available in a zone

The only things that tells you about are Trials and Dungeons.  Trials aren't worth doing past the first time you do them, because of the lack of bonus XP.  You could argue that dungeons aren't really worth it, either, again because of the lack of bonus XP.

RE: Getting From 46 to 49? - Kismet - 10-29-2013

Yeah, I'll have to second everything Liadan said. Doing as much of those things as you can simultaneously makes for pretty good exp gain, but only at lower levels. Once you hit about 35-40ish, it mostly becomes all about the FATE crunch frenzy! (Of course, you don't have to grind FATEs... It's just the most efficient way to level.)

You can look up some FATE leveling guides that suggest what areas are best to grind in according to your level range if you want a concrete idea of where to go for future leveling. Smile

RE: Getting From 46 to 49? - Nebbs - 10-29-2013

All I can say is I didn't fate grind and I made it. Individual things may not seem like a lot but they all add up especially with rested bonus. 

I did this as an Archer/Bard so suffered the long DF waits.

(edit) I fully expect for my 2nd class that I will have to learn to like the fate grind.. or go play something less boring instead.

RE: Getting From 46 to 49? - LeCard - 10-29-2013

For those thinking of FATE grinding in N. Thanalan: make sure your party farms the lunatics near the Dark devices spawn point(between fates). You can average between 2-5k exp per spawn of the mobs. if you do this in between FATE you can level alot faster (did my 45-50 grind yesterday).

Also, important notes, FOOD and SLEEP. when you log hit an inn, and always have some food. It may not seem like much but having that bonus to add to chain kills during fates/mob farming you can get from 50%-almost 100% bonus to you exp.

and remember if the mobs durring the FATE are giving you 300exp killing 10 gets you 3k plus however much you get for gold completion of the FATE.

I know mobs don't seem like a good farming source, but if you camped a high level mob(47-49) and killed 10 every 5 mins getting an average of 400exp per mob you could gain 100k in about 12mins. so in about 5hours you could go from level 45-50 off Mob farming alone.

RE: Getting From 46 to 49? - Sophia_Grave - 10-29-2013

FATEs are your best bet.
Just make sure you join a party, get gold medals, and put on some great music. It's a pain, sure, but you'll get there.

RE: Getting From 46 to 49? - Illira - 10-29-2013

(10-29-2013, 09:30 AM)Apl_J Wrote: FATEs are your best bet.
Just make sure you join a party, get gold medals, and put on some great music. It's a pain, sure, but you'll get there.
Apl speaks the truth. As does... pretty much everyone else here. 

I know that when I got to this point with my main, I was pretty annoyed that the quests just dropped off and that I pretty much had to suck it up and just run FATEs. Its actually not so bad (though I still very much disagree with that design decision, but... in general I have an issue with their quest threading, etc...). 

Anyway, just be sure to join a FATE group. Its actually pretty easy up there. Just keep an eye on the /shout looking for member spams and send out a few of your own. Don't be shy about whispering the ad shouter for spots, everyone is doing it, just jump in! Its a bit mindnumbing, but it helps to listen to awesome music or watch TV while doing the FATE grind. Its also a plus if your group ends up being chill and fun to talk to and having a guild to chat with to pass the time.

Do make sure your rested as can be and eat the foods for the extra xp % gain. Every little bit counts! 

It is a lot faster and less frustrating in the long run to just FATE it, otherwise you'll likely be running a bit aimlessly around trying to figure out where to go next. And its more time/xp efficient than just dungeon spamming, especially because of the queue time in between those.

RE: Getting From 46 to 49? - Naunet - 10-29-2013

I feel like Twinflame and I were the only people who did not run out of quests even once leveling to 50. xD Do not understand. We never deliberately FATE grinded, though we did them when we ran into them. The bulk of our leveling was just quests, hunting and GC log, and dungeons.

RE: Getting From 46 to 49? - Olofantur - 10-29-2013

(10-29-2013, 10:38 AM)Naunet Wrote: I feel like Twinflame and I were the only people who did not run out of quests even once leveling to 50. xD Do not understand. We never deliberately FATE grinded, though we did them when we ran into them. The bulk of our leveling was just quests, hunting and GC log, and dungeons.

Seconded, never touched FATEs on my WHM, which was the first one I leveled that wasn't at 50 from 1.0. I made a point of stopping by pretty much every high level zone and snagging the 3-4 quests that had to do with the Beast tribes in each area.

http://ffxiv.gamerescape.com/wiki/Category:Sidequest/26-50

Sorted by level and look at the size of the 45-50 group, while spread out, and hardly as numerous as lower level, I don't get how people seem to think FATEs are the only option. (most efficient cost/effort yes, even with the Dark Devices nerf)