Hydaelyn Role-Players
[Balmung] [Interest Check] Plot-Based RP - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: [Balmung] [Interest Check] Plot-Based RP (/showthread.php?tid=5305)

[Balmung] [Interest Check] Plot-Based RP - Lupo - 10-29-2013

Hi folks!

So this topic comes at the risk of me seeing annoying, but I am attempting to be as proactive in my ambition as possible! Before I really get into this though, as per someone's recommendation (I forgot who sorry!), I'll start with the TL;DR version of the thread.

TL;DR Version

I've been trying to get a group going for weekly, plot-based RP, that is of course, open to the public. There are some basic attendance and procedure requirements, but that is just so we have consistant characters (since it has a plot) and anyone can join at any time, as long as we have enough warning. Anyway, its been hard to get people to join up, whether to join the FC or the associated link-shells. So I want to ask if anyone is interested, and if so, how can I get you to join up?

Meet me in-game tonight (I'll be on in half an hour), pm me here on the forums, or skype me at lynn.performance anytime if interested, or you would like to join the discussion.

THERE IS AN OPEN FORUM SKYPE/MESSANGER/INGAME CHAT DISCUSSION WITH MY FC AND OTHERS TONIGHT, WEDNESDAY OCT 30, BETWEEN 7:00PM PST AND 10:00PM PST

TL;DR Expanded Version

Background
This effort started as part of the drive to supplement my FFXIV writing project, which was to write novelized text based on actual real-life RP. You can find more on that here:
http://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/showthread.php?tid=5018

However, that project has since stagnated due to the lack of RP that this past week has been a busy week for me. I've since passed on my duties and am going full steam on this until I can get a good group together.

Needs to make it work
First a personal, request. I've outlined a basic working of how I wanted to handle this on my FC page. However, I won't link that yet, since the FC itself is just taking off and I need officers first so I can properly focus on this. I plan for the FC to be the organization department/force behind the plot based RP as well as be the social group for leveling, dungeon crawling, events planning, and just cool stuff.

Anyway, the real needs of actual plot-based RP is:
  • I would like some people to help me plan the RP. These people will help guide the plots and schedule the weekly RP session.
  • I'd like a historian. Someone who will copy the chat log of the RP into a text file with no formating and I'll slave through the text myself.
  • I'd like RPers, and a health variety! I already have a planned plot, so I'd like to start on that first, but if you want to start your own let me know and I'll try to help make it happen.

I'll be honest, I don't know if a LS or FC or other arbitrary group of RPers exist like this yet. However, I'd like to get some serious plot-based RP going. Let me first explain how plot-based RP works (in my mind), along with some challenges it faces as well as some ideas I am juggling.

Frequently Asked Questions

1. What is Plot-Based RP?
    Plot-Based RP is role-playing to a player storyline. This may be driven by an individual, supplemented by the reactions of the participants, much like a Dungeon Master in Dungeons and Dragons, or by a group of people, as is often the case in online RP. As many of you probably immediately notice, there are a few challenges, which are addressed below.

2. Got a plot yet?
    Yes I do! Its more designed as a starting point, and we'll have a discussion on the actual direction, but we have the premise of an Ul'dahn Murder Mystery/Crime adventure thing. You can find the premise in this post:
    http://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/showthread.php?tid=5305&pid=66197#pid66197

3. How is scheduling handled?
    I'd like to make the plot-based RP a weekly event. Each week we have a meeting to decide the direction of the plot and on the weekend we RP the plot out.

4. What about open RP?
    I'm about to suggest something that may put some people off, but I am planning on treating outside RP as "non-canon". I encourage open RP, but it makes it too hard to keep the plot intact if I have to keep track of all RP at all times. But there are ways to keep outside RP canon with the plot. Example: Say my char is going to war. Any RP outside of the plot of the war, I consider "shore-leave" or "leave" or a sidestory or something. Something along those lines.

5. If someone cannot make the weekly RP sessions what happens if people RP on their own?
    I think our group of players is awesome enough to accommodate with at least some prior notice. :-) We can twist the plot that will allow for someone to not be there or just move the RP scheduled time.

6. This doesn't really allow for Open RP and creates a closed RP group. How to deal with that?
    Honestly, I don't think that matters. I think before every RP session (as mentioned above), if we know before hand you want to join, we can find a way to insert a character in. There is always a way! Besides we are a very creative community! The only thing that is not allowed, mostly, is literally barging in DURING RP, which is hard for some folks, including myself.

7. There is a plot barrier of entry. If you haven't been keeping up with the plot, how can you expect to join?
    After every planning session, I'll release a summary story board of the plot we have RPed and what we will RP. Think, "Previously, on 24..." style and "Next time on..." from television. After about 2 weeks of each RP session, I'll attempt to novelize the RP with all the gruesome detail as part of my writing project.

8. How do you enable consistency and cohesiveness?
    Careful planning with the participants. There will be a weekday planning session, that will decide the plot by committee. BTW I don't mean the WHOLE plot. I mean, we'll talk about where we left on and where will begin the next session. From there we will go with the flow. Rinse and repeat.

9. Why plot-based and not open?
    I have a fairly selfish reason for this, I'll admit. I mentioned earlier in this post that I want to write all the RP down in a novelized formats. That means proper sentences, full paragraphs, lore, etc. But most importantly, that means there needs to be a beginning, a middle, and an end. That can be really hard in free-form open RP. Thats the main reason.

10. ARE YOU CRAZY? Some say I am, but I am inclined to disagree. :-)

Anyway, I'd like your help on all this (you being the community). I'd like to gather participants, constructive criticism, and support for this effort and thanks for any feedback or replies to this post!

See you all online!

EDIT: Changed a section name and added more info. This post is already too long, but info is info...

RE: [Balmung] [Interest Check] Plot-Based RP - Celeste - 10-30-2013

Hello Lupo,

I don't think you will find much resistance to the idea of doing RP like this... but.

30 minutes to gauge interest? Really? It took me 30 minutes just to read everything!!

What I'm saying is, yes, this sounds like a good idea and all, but for the FIRST gauge of interest I would almost say give people at least a few days before you really start rolling with this. And also give people some time to meet with you and see if the sort of story you have in mind would be something they want to be a part of. In fact the big question that came to my mind really is "What is the general plot you want to see happen?"

RE: [Balmung] [Interest Check] Plot-Based RP - Dren - 10-30-2013

Just out of curiosity, what kind of characters are you looking for?

RE: [Balmung] [Interest Check] Plot-Based RP - Clover - 10-30-2013

Gaaaaan. I think my timezone plays against me here, so I don't think I'd be able to participate in your idea. It's still an awesome one and I wish you the best with it!

I must say that I love LOVE plot-based RP. In fact, the reason I haven't been as active RPing my main character is that there's nothing happening in the world, nothing she could react to, and I'm not really good organizing huge plots myself. I also love open RP, actually; I need a mix of both to be happy.

RE: [Balmung] [Interest Check] Plot-Based RP - Lupo - 10-30-2013

(10-30-2013, 06:40 AM)Celeste Wrote: Hello Lupo,

I don't think you will find much resistance to the idea of doing RP like this... but.

30 minutes to gauge interest? Really? It took me 30 minutes just to read everything!!

What I'm saying is, yes, this sounds like a good idea and all, but for the FIRST gauge of interest I would almost say give people at least a few days before you really start rolling with this. And also give people some time to meet with you and see if the sort of story you have in mind would be something they want to be a part of. In fact the big question that came to my mind really is "What is the general plot you want to see happen?"

Hahaha. It took me 30 minutes to write it, but that's why I started with the TL;DR version first. The rest isn't necessary to understand the basic concept, and I wasn't expecting anybody to read the whole thing, but I wanted to show that I had the idea fleshed out properly, instead of just posting an idea without putting any work forward to show that I can make it happen. Trust me, I have a LOT more text written ;-P.

XD That being said, I know my posts need to be shorter - its my biggest pitfall.

For the plot question, I do have a plot in mind, but I'd like to gather a few like-minded people before I decide what plot we're going to do. At least 2-4 other people to keep me from meta gamingCurrent plot currently planned is:

Ul'dahn Murder Mystery: Title Pending

Basic Premise:
  • A wealthy Lalafell merchant has been murdered for no apparent reason. His gold and belongings on his person ravaged by the refugees and the Brass Blades are stumped.
  • I'd like to play the murderer, a Bard with a cracked harp, no longer singing the songs he's learned. He's a vigilante gone wrong, and may have partners in crime.
  • Some crimes are well planned, but he makes mistakes or goes out of his way to send a message, as with the murder above.
  • I'd like to have a small group of RP of sympathists (maybe?) for him and most of the RP'ers working to catch him, maybe even kill him (If it happens, so be it!), some groups differing in their methods, but working to similar goals.

(10-30-2013, 09:21 AM)Unseen Harbor Wrote: Just out of curiosity, what kind of characters are you looking for?

I'm open to all types, as I think our community is skilled enough at RP, no matter who the character might be involve. I am looking for some good aligned characters, but I have a good core of those participating already. In short, its RP, RP however you want! I'll work around it!

(10-30-2013, 09:57 AM)Clover Wrote: Gaaaaan. I think my timezone plays against me here, so I don't think I'd be able to participate in your idea. It's still an awesome one and I wish you the best with it!

I must say that I love LOVE plot-based RP. In fact, the reason I haven't been as active RPing my main character is that there's nothing happening in the world, nothing she could react to, and I'm not really good organizing huge plots myself. I also love open RP, actually; I need a mix of both to be happy.

Hahaha! Well, you can join us still, if you'd like, but I do know you're peak activity hours is probably right about now...dang European timezones. That being said, most RP will take place on the weekend, hopefully around 1:00pm PST, which is about 9:00pm in Madrid. Let me know if you'd like to give it a shot. No harm in trying :-).

RE: [Balmung] [Interest Check] Plot-Based RP - Reginald - 10-30-2013

(10-30-2013, 11:08 AM)Lupo Wrote: For the plot question, I do have a plot in mind, but I'd like to gather a few like-minded people before I decide what plot we're going to do. At least 2-4 other people to keep me from meta gaming. Current plot currently planned is:

Ul'dahn Murder Mystery: Title Pending

Basic Premise:
  • A wealthy Lalafell merchant has been murdered for no apparent reason. His gold and belongings on his person ravaged by the refugees and the Brass Blades are stumped.
  • I'd like to play the murderer, a Bard with a cracked harp, no longer singing the songs he's learned. He's a vigilante gone wrong, and may have partners in crime.
  • Some crimes are well planned, but he makes mistakes or goes out of his way to send a message, as with the murder above.
  • I'd like to have a small group of RP of sympathists (maybe?) for him and most of the RP'ers working to catch him, maybe even kill him (If it happens, so be it!), some groups differing in their methods, but working to similar goals.

MURDER MYSTERY! Count me in! Maybe as one of the sympathists or even as a possible suspect! I'd like to join your linkshell if I manage to contact you in-game.

RE: [Balmung] [Interest Check] Plot-Based RP - Lupo - 10-30-2013

Sure thing, Reginald. I PMed you with some info, and hopefully I'll see you online soon!