Hydaelyn Role-Players
Roleplay outfits? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Roleplay outfits? (/showthread.php?tid=5310)

Pages: 1 2

Roleplay outfits? - CalebAgron - 10-30-2013

So I'm not sure if this is the correct forum to post this question in, and I tried looking for the answer in the "search" option but didn't find anything. So thought I would toss up a post and see if I can get some help.

Currently there is no "preview equipment" option in game, making looking for RP gear rather difficult imho. I was curious if anyone knew of any websites up that could act as a "preview" page..or any site that has a few screen shots of outfits with equipment names? Any help is appreciated thanks!

RE: Roleplay outfits? - S'anhu - 10-30-2013

This Model Viewer may provide some help. Just click on the crossed Axes to see the player characters. They have every item (as far as I've looked) and they even allow you to change the race/gender of the model. Though they don't put in the actual model, this can sometimes affect dimensions of the outfit.

It's far from perfect and it doesn't allow color options, but you can get a peek at what some things will look like.

EDIT: Haha, great minds think alike! Olofantur has some good talk about some of its downsides that I'm simply unfamiliar with, as I don't use it too often.

RE: Roleplay outfits? - Olofantur - 10-30-2013

Hello Caleb,

its still a bit buggy, but http://xivmodels.com/ has a model viewer tool. at the moment the weapons can be iffy, and the loading takes a while, but aside from taking pictures or asking the person in game i've found it the most serviceable tool. If you're going to use it please take into account that it does not heed any limitations of class or "stacking" of objects.

here's an example:
http://xivmodels.com/?group/Mzk1MixpdGVtLDM1NTUsaXRlbSwzMDM1LGl0ZW0sMzM0NixpdGVt

Hope that helps! I've got a pretty firm knowledge of most of the models if you're looking for something particular that you can describe.

Edit: Ack, double post, good one S'anhu!

RE: Roleplay outfits? - CalebAgron - 10-30-2013

Thanks guys!

RE: Roleplay outfits? - Navisse - 10-30-2013

The game is pretty good about making icons consistent with style of armor. I've found most of my RP outfits by doing a whole lot of chasing people who are wearing something that looks cool down the street so I can examine them then looking on the AH for gear with similar icons. 

Keep in mind that gear doesn't bind to you until you gain exp of any sort while wearing it. So you can buy things from the market, try them on and then put them right back up for sale if you don't like them.

RE: Roleplay outfits? - Olofantur - 10-30-2013

(10-30-2013, 02:51 PM)Navisse Wrote: chasing people who are wearing something that looks cool down the street so I can examine them then looking on the AH for gear with similar icons. 

Ah yes, though with one miss click it can lead to "I'm sorry! I didn't mean to send you a friend request, I just thought your tunic was nice and wanted to take a look, not that I don't think you might not be a nice person but-<insert rambling here>"

or maybe thats just me.. Cactuar

RE: Roleplay outfits? - Tayang - 10-30-2013

(10-30-2013, 03:17 PM)Olofantur Wrote:
(10-30-2013, 02:51 PM)Navisse Wrote: chasing people who are wearing something that looks cool down the street so I can examine them then looking on the AH for gear with similar icons. 

Ah yes, though with one miss click it can lead to "I'm sorry! I didn't mean to send you a friend request, I just thought your tunic was nice and wanted to take a look, not that I don't think you might not be a nice person but-<insert rambling here>"

I'm always paranoid that I'm going to end up doing this. Smile I haven't yet, but I have definitely been caught chasing someone around Ul'dah trying to get a good look at their outfit and to figure out how and where they got it.

RE: Roleplay outfits? - 4wheel - 10-30-2013

(10-30-2013, 03:17 PM)Olofantur Wrote:

While I haven't sent an accidental friend request doing that, I have sent a few accident LS invites.  Thankfully the LS was full at the time those occurred.

RE: Roleplay outfits? - Edgar - 10-30-2013

I scoured the internet for item previews before I made my RP clothes. Eventually, I learned what items look good with what, and I was able to get a pretty nice outfit for myself.

If not for this thread, I wouldn't even be aware there was a model viewer that could have made things so much easier.

RE: Roleplay outfits? - CalebAgron - 10-30-2013

(10-30-2013, 10:06 PM)EVGSovereign Wrote: I scoured the internet for item previews before I made my RP clothes. Eventually, I learned what items look good with what, and I was able to get a pretty nice outfit for myself.

If not for this thread, I wouldn't even be aware there was a model viewer that could have made things so much easier.
Yay glad this thread could help someone else out too!

RE: Roleplay outfits? - Cota Orben - 11-03-2013

Okay, so. A question for all females in general. 

Are all of the crafting outfits just... sans pants for us? I'm trying to look at this model viewer, and it's not registering any pants for any crafting gear I've tried. Unless it's one of the situations where the boots compensate for a lot.

RE: Roleplay outfits? - Naunet - 11-03-2013

(11-03-2013, 03:30 PM)Devin Farraday Wrote: Okay, so. A question for all females in general. 

Are all of the crafting outfits just... sans pants for us? I'm trying to look at this model viewer, and it's not registering any pants for any crafting gear I've tried. Unless it's one of the situations where the boots compensate for a lot.

You mean all crafting gear 1-50? Because there are definitely pants available to female characters. If you're looking at just a subset, though, I wouldn't be surprised as "remove pants, transform into short skirt with thigh highs" is the yawn-inducing, cookie-cutter formula to "feminize" (as though that should mean anything) a "masculine" outfit.

RE: Roleplay outfits? - Cota Orben - 11-03-2013

(11-03-2013, 06:04 PM)Naunet Wrote:
(11-03-2013, 03:30 PM)Devin Farraday Wrote: Okay, so. A question for all females in general. 

You mean all crafting gear 1-50? Because there are definitely pants available to female characters. If you're looking at just a subset, though, I wouldn't be surprised as "remove pants, transform into short skirt with thigh highs" is the yawn-inducing, cookie-cutter formula to "feminize" (as though that should mean anything) a "masculine" outfit.

I'm talking about the level 50 "Artifact" crafting gear. Which I've seen in game does come with pants. 

Which is good, since my Miqo'te is pretty much just going to be a crafting character once I get my mount.

RE: Roleplay outfits? - shotgunbadger - 11-03-2013

(10-30-2013, 02:51 PM)Navisse Wrote: The game is pretty good about making icons consistent with style of armor. I've found most of my RP outfits by doing a whole lot of chasing people who are wearing something that looks cool down the street so I can examine them then looking on the AH for gear with similar icons. 

Yea this has been what kept me from being too mad about no preview, for once the icons in an MMO fit the looks usually fairly well, so you can at the very least tell 'I want a set of bright white plate mail' and you can see 'ok this is heavy armor for a Paladin and it's white, I bet this is what I want'.

Of course since I have female characters I sometimes get bit by a pair of pants looking pretty sweet and then realizing they go from nice sleek leather pants to assless chaps when they touch anything with a vagina.

RE: Roleplay outfits? - K'dath - 11-03-2013

(11-03-2013, 07:16 PM)shotgunbadger Wrote: Of course since I have female characters I sometimes get bit by a pair of pants looking pretty sweet and then realizing they go from nice sleek leather pants to assless chaps when they touch anything with a vagina.

Welcome to Fantasy as a genre.