Hydaelyn Role-Players
A Formal Chiding of One Dodo [ooc welcome] - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Role-Play (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+--- Forum: Town Square (IC) (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: A Formal Chiding of One Dodo [ooc welcome] (/showthread.php?tid=5392)

A Formal Chiding of One Dodo [ooc welcome] - Naunet - 11-07-2013

((More RP!))

It was the seventh sun of the new moon. Or the eighth sun of the last moon. D'hein didn't remember the day. Last time he checked it was a sun during a moon and it was almost time for his moonly de-cluttering of the office, and since he hadn't done it yet he decided that if he did this presently, he would either be doing it acceptably early, on time, or slightly late. No matter the case, it was a prudent time to ritually de-clutter the office as he always did on around this particular sun of every other moon or so, or in some similar scale he'd set up and then managed to forget the particulars of. The task was simply looking at each paper, deciding if it was important enough to keep, and then placing it in a corresponding pile.

The sunlight pouring into the front office of the CRA headquarters in Limsa found his red-robed back hunched over multiple piles of papers on the floor which ringed his desk like Lalafell huddled about a campfire. The piles were labeled such: very important; important; kind of important; keep-if-there's room; read these over again before throwing them out; undecipherable; keep these for personal records and tell no one; and finally the pile of trash. There were three pieces of paper in the trash pile. The others were all fairly heavy. There was no internal organization to any of them. Despite this, D'hein looked much focused and respectably dutiful about forming these piles.

Two full glasses of milk sat off to the side, as though spectators. One half-full glass sat helpless alongside the first two. An empty glass, its fate now part of history, lay on its side against the wall.

The CRA's representative within the Shroud did not make a habit of traveling to Limsa. She didn't like the open sky, almost as much as she didn't like wandering about under a glaring sun, and visiting the agency's main office always meant altering her sleep schedule in a way that left her short-tempered. More so than usual, at least. Still, it was likely wise to check in before returning back north, and so Sah'ot entered the office without preamble and without any care as to who might be inside or what they may be doing. She wore lighter clothes than her usual armor, though still padded in a defensive nature, and so moved with an even greater silence than usual. If not for the soft clicking of the door, nothing would have belied her entrance. Rather than announce herself, she crossed her arms and stood next to the door, arching a derisive brow at D'hein's back.

Busy with his work, D'hein did not hear or observe Sah'ot's entrance. He was pouring over a record regarding... cloth exports? But why was there a lion? No, that was linen. Or lichen. Wait, this is an alchemical supplies manifest. Or cooking? Cooking might be interesting! He put that piece of paper in the Keep-If-There's-Room pile. Then he frowned at a new scent in the air and muttered aloud, ears shifting, "Why do I smell pine and antelopes?" He began to dig through the papers as though they may be the source of the smell.

"You must've ruined your nose with all of that milk," the Keeper responded smoothly.

D'hein very suddenly jumped to his feet at the voice, spinning and dashing one of the larger piles with his tail so violently that a mess of paper was thrown into his glasses of milk, knocking every one of them over and soaking most of the pages through. For a few brief moments, there was disagreement within D'hein as to whether Sah'ot's appearance or the event with the milk and the papers was more worth his attention. He shifted one way and the other and his eyes twitched in a number of directions.

Finally, with a frustrated hiss of "Twelve be damned! Always!" he dashed to the tragic scene against the wall, lifting pages from a fast-spreading puddle of milk. "That was the important pile. Dammit." And a quick look cast at Sah'ot, "Sneaky nuisance!"

"I see you've also ruined your papers with it." A smirk tugged at the corners of Sah'ot's mouth as she spoke, "A shame, but to be expected."

"This is your doing!" He pointed at her with a few sheets that still dripped with milk. The gesture was quick, and he used it to toss a few drops of milk at her face. "Shouldn't you be in bed, little insomniac?"

Sah'ot sneered, wiping her nose free of the milk. "You only have yourself to blame for your poor senses and your poor tactical skills. Anyone with half a brain could predict what just happened."

There was a click on the door's knob as the door opened, followed by heavy footsteps. Ildur had always been a loud Hyur as far as interacting with objects went, and this time was no different. He lingered with the door open for a moment, possibly admiring D'hein's milky disaster. The Hyur was wearing what could, in some places, pass as a coat of the Maelstorm. "Is this a bad time?" he said.

"No, no, it's an excellent time!" D'hein threw his hands in the air, "Unless you're going to be throwing my papers around like she is, then it is a very bad time and you should come back later."

Sah'ot laughed shortly at that, unkindly. "Learn to control your tail instead of behaving like some freshly weaned whelp and maybe you wouldn't have so many accidents."

D'hein flicked more pages -- and more milk -- at Sah'ot, "I think we both know this was your doing. You snuck up on me deliberately!"

Ildur closed the door behind him, sparing Sah'ot a short glance and an even shorter nod. He looked at D'hein. "You will put this grudge on hold. I have received an informal complain about you, D'hein, and I'd like to speak with you about it."

Sah'ot had taken a threatening step forward in the wake of the second milk assault, but Ildur's words held her back. Instead, both brows lifted and then she smiled in a way that displayed her fangs. "Well that's a surprise."

Adjusting his posture and letting his arms go proudly limp at this side, D'hein shook at his mane and turned both of his eyes towards Ildur, theough they were still set in a crooked quirk. "I don't understand? Who would have cause to submit complaint?"

The Hyur took a few steps forward toward him. "Miss Antimony." he said plainly.

Sah'ot moved then so that she was positioned out of the way, a few feet to the side of Ildur and D'hein, and then settled in for a good listen.

His ears fell back on his head and his face curved down into a frown, then into an awkward smile, then frowned again. And then a light went on and for some reason he got all happy and excited, "Oh! Yes, I'm sure it's about-! Oh," and he looked confused again. "Wait. No. This is a very odd turn. What?"

"I understand then that you have no idea of what she could have complained about."

"He can't even keep his milk out of his paperwork," Sah'ot commented idly, with a look of pure satisfaction.

D'hein bit off a growl at Sah'ot, "That's your doing! Yours!" And then, to Ildur, "Well I'm sure I've done nothing to warrant complaint! As with anyone else, my dealings with Antimony have been gracious and benevolent. I've gone to extra lengths to behave honorably and helpfully in her case, actually!"

Ildur frowned. "Does that include following her and invading her privacy?"

At this, D'hein’s ears kicked back and his face went stoic. For just a moment. Then the distress fled and he instead looked thoughtful. "Hm." And he looked thoughtful for a long time. In fact he did not speak in answer, so deep and length was his pondering. He continued to ponder in silence.

Ildur let D'hein think longly, perhaps hoping that he'd have an answer eventually. When it became obvious there was going to be no answer, he spoke. "Tell me why you have...gone "extra lengths" to behave honorably with her."

At Ildur's voice, D'hein proclaimed, "Oh, to the former, I have but no to the latter! Actually its- what? Uhm." His ears shifted about and his eyes sat wide in an indeterminate expression. "Oh, new question! Because she's so very helpless and clueless and needs the extra effort or she'll just fall apart! She's very prone to it, and I, as a Man of the Dodo am bound to help her however I can! I must!"

"You are not in your crude tribe anymore, D'hein." Ildur answered, his tone neutral albeit his brow was frowned. "You can tell me what it is that that you did when you followed her, now."

"Thal take you," D'hein spat, and turned sideways to Ildur. Speaking the curse, oddly enough, put a wry smile on his face, "I thought you above racism. Not all tribes huddle in tents and pray to rocks to keep the beasts off their necks. As for when I followed her, it was to that seedy bar in Limsa. She went alone and unprotected to a pirate dive. I was protecting her, and I did well. There was violence. I solved it. She and I resolved not to speak of the matter further."

Ildur nodded once. "She mentioned you used the Agency's linkpearls to contact her about 'personal matters'. Was that before or after this incident you just spoke of?"

"Oh, that! Far, far after. And hardly her place to complain of such a minor trespass." D'hein waved that off. "Is this really the heart of her complaint, Ildur? Don't dance around it. You've not the figure for dancing."

"However minor this was for you, it was not so to her. I'd appreciate if you didn't repeat these very selfless and honorable actions in the future."

"Selfless and honorable? It sounds more like naiive and overbearing," Sah'ot finally intruded, in part to just remind D'hein of her presence and in part because who could pass up this kind of an opportunity? She grinned toothily.

"I've no need to repeat them," D'hein replied to Ildur, "They are done. All of my present intentions regarding Antimony are strictly professional and wholly callous. And I would be shocked," D'hein turned to Sah'ot, "If whatever vague culture you poachers boast even has a notion of honor."

"I'll leave you in suspense, then. Wouldn't want you to ruin more of your papers from shock," Sah'ot sneered, tail lashing behind her.

Ildur's lips tightened into a line. He chuckled. "That is quite racist of you, D'hein." He shook his head. "But it is good to see this matter is settled."

"Bah," D'hein shifted about in frustration and pumped his arms a bit. He turned to look at the papers that had been knocked down, then to Sah'ot, then to the papers still in piles, then to Ildur, before saying, "You're all as bad as Illira sometimes."

"Oh, no." Ildur said, raising a hand. "Do you think Illira would have settled this matter so painlessly? And in such short time?"

"Maybe." He thought. "No." And then, moving his haw about oddly, "I doubt Antimony would be satisfied. You didn't even make me feel chided!"

Sah'ot bit back a snicker, tail twitching with entertainment.

"I can remedy that." He cleared his throat with a short chough and raised one finger. "Don't do this with any of our employees again. In fact, try to not do it with anyone. And for the love of whatever gods you worship, please don't boast about it."

Smiling, D'hein provided helpfully, "Azeyma."

Ildur turned around towards the door. "We should reunite someday to discuss the merits of your perfectly honorable and advanced tribe." he said, his words leaking sarcasm.

"I don't think that counts as a proper chiding," Sah'ot said with some disappointment.

Not missing Ildur's sarcasm, D'hein nonetheless responded, "Oh, I'm sure it'll come up," and then, to Sah'ot, "You're free to try if you think you can do better."

"Not worth my time," she dismissed. "Nor is being here, for that matter. Some of us have work to get to." And she moved towards the door as well.

"Oh, you're just-" D'hein once again pointed accusingly at Sah'ot, "You really did just come here to sneak up on me!"

The Keeper flashed a fanged grin at D'hein and said nothing else in response.

Ildur opened the door and held it open for Sah'ot, moving out of the way so she could pass. "I'm sure she only wanted to keep you safe from danger."

"She ruined my filing system!" He gestured to the piles of paper on the floor. And then, belatedly, he snapped angrily, "And she owes me fresh milk, dammit!"

Sah'ot lifted one hand in farewell and just walked out the door, tail swishing behind her like she was the epitome of cool.

"I will collect one day, Keeper!" D'hein shouted, and thrust a hand in the air, "ONE DAY!"

"Have a good evening, D'hein." Ildur said before leaving the office and closing the door behind him.

Alone in the middle of his papers, the disaster off to one side, D'hein stood still for a long moment. He frowned at first, then shrugged and let go over his frustration. Pacing over to the ruined pile, he began to look over the pages and after a moment muttered, "Wait. This isn't the important pile." And then another moment later, "What pile was this?" Looking around in confusion, "Why are there seven piles? That wasn't the-" he tossed the papers in the middle of the floor. "Whatever. No milk, no work."
Then, he left.