Hydaelyn Role-Players
Saints and Dinner [ooc welcome] - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Role-Play (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+--- Forum: Town Square (IC) (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: Saints and Dinner [ooc welcome] (/showthread.php?tid=5404)

Saints and Dinner [ooc welcome] - Naunet - 11-08-2013

((Still catching up to present day. Here's some more holiday-themed in-game RP I did with the fantastic Ulanan and Illira! Now with 100% more insight into characters' worldviews.))

The view of Limsa in the full radiance of the late afternoon sun, splashing golds and oranges across stone and water, would have been a beautiful sight any day. But not this day. With Ulanan, blonde hair smoothed down prettily and wearing a strange, faceless mask, at her side, the middle aged miqo’te Antimony stood at the edge of the Aftcastle, staring uncomfortably across the plaza. The beauty of the day did not catch her eyes, for they were far too distracted by something else: a terrifyingly grotesque horror of grey-mottled skin and dead, cloudy eyes peering out from a flat, broad gourd that had carved across its surface a gruesome grin. Not a single Limsan denizen seemed to give it mind as the crowds passed, disregarding it enough that Antimony had to wonder if she were simply imagining the nightmarish vision. "Ulanan,” she began after a time, voice uncertain, “is that... is that a voidsent..?"

From her lower vantage point, the lalafell scanned the area Antimony had indicated. Around the monster and its strange home were scattered other decorations of some ghastly theme. “Just some lalafell with a giant stuffed imp head for a hat,” Ulanan concluded.

“That... why anyone would pretend to be one of those things?” The very thought of it struck her as more than absurd; it was absolutely unthinkable!

“Ghosts are overrated.”

It was that moment that a familiar Wildwood strode out of across the bridge leading out of the Drowning Wench, a deep scowl etched on her smooth features. Illira Carceri scanned the passersby moving towards her, the crowd largely heading into the bar for a night of revelry as Limsa citiezens were want to do. Or so judged this elezen.

Antimony shook her head after a moment, still looking unnerved. "It's like celebrating death. Horrid." Unable to fully look away from the display, a disturbed chill gripped her chest.

“Death? No. It's a costume! Traditionally, it is said that Eorzeans hid during this time from the ravenous monsters that lurked in the shadows by dressing like them.” As she spoke, Ulanan lifted a finger in a lecturing way, peering up at Antimony through the sightless holes of her mask.

Illira turned her head towards their voices as Antimony and Ulanan’s conversation drifted across the plaza, glancing towards the origin and spotting the both of them. The sight did not give her cheer; if anything her scowl deepened as she turns to walk towards them.

Antimony grimaced at Ulanan’s explanation. "And so instead they... dress up as ravenous monsters." Her tone and the way her features pulled into a taught expression spoke to how little she thought of the notion.

“Exactly!”

“Exactly? Hmph,” she huffed. “I don't think I like...” She trailed off at the approach of the elezen, her ears twitching.

Ulanan had only one thing to say in greeting: “Well, that's a terrible disguise.”

Illira spoke acidly as she approached the pair, "So it would seem that you both feel the need to also participate in this... revelry."

“P-participate?” Antimony rocked back on her heels, eyes widening with a mix of affront and horror. “What, no! I would never participate in this kind of glorification of... it's not right.”

Ulanan only shrugged, “I'm afraid I don't have Antimony's moral standards.” At that, Antimony crossed her arms and purses her lips, looking all around disapproving.

Illira sniffed, "I should hope not. The days around Saint's Eve has some of the highest rates of crime in any given year. Folk seem to  rather forget themselves." She glanced down briefly at Ulanan before looking back at Antimony.

“There's nothing funny or entertaining about stepping outside one morning only to find voidsent and other sigils of death everywhere! As though the whole city had suddenly turned…” She couldn’t finish the sentence, throat tightening in distress.

“I will do all that is possible to avoid stealing your purse, then,” Ulanan half-joked.

“No. There isn't anything funny about the matter,” and at Illira’s agreement, Antimony seemed to rejoice. “And yet you are still with this... Lala, though she admits to participating in the... entertainment factor that this occasion has been spun into.”

"Ulanan is..." Antimony sighed. “I do wish you would take this whole thing more seriously, Ulanan.”

Ulanan turned around. “You are taking it too seriously. It's just costumes, not real monsters.”

Antimony pointed across the plaza. "That certainly looks real! And even if it weren't... you don't just play with these things lightly!"

Ulanan took off her mask with a fairly loud, disapproving groan. "Fine."

Illira shook her head, "It does not matter. Folk like the idea of costumes. Easier to escape their responsibilities to society.”

Antimony smiled apologetically at Ulanan. "I am sorry. I wouldn't want you to... well, who knows what you could summon on accident! Just by thinking it, just by wearing that mask!"

Ulanan spoke first to Illira, "The disguises have nothing to do with escaping responsibilities and all to do with the celebration's traditions." She then turned to Antimony, "You couldn't summon anything without magic. It's just clothes."

“The celebration of what?” Illira arched a brow. “Antimony speaks the truth. Death is not something to celebrate. It is a flimsy excuse.”

“You would be surprised what a simple object can do,” Antimony replied with a solemn look.

Thrusting her arms out, Ulanan cut them across the air in a display of disagreement. “What are you? An Ishgardian?”

Illira peered down at the lalafell. “You are asking me?”

Ulanan frowned. “No, I'm asking the little voidsent inside your head.”

Antimony blinked at Ulanan and then at Illira. “What..?”

Illira shook her head, "No. And I am not sure why you would assume so. I originate from Ul'dah.”

“You have some terrible views of the locals. Just as Ishgardians.”

“I make no secret that I am not a fan of Limsa's... quaint appeal as you might call it,” she shrugged.

Antimony's ears tilted. "Ah, it's not... so bad a place. Just... uncomfortable on occasion."

“Well, you have ruined my mood,” Ulanan announced and proceeded to pout.

“Just. Uncomfortable? Pray tell.”

“Oh, Ulanan,” Antimony sighed. “I didn't mean.. perhaps we should discuss something happier? Not this... evil?” She gestured around her.

Ulanan crossed her arms over her costume. It looked uncomfortable. “Sure. Let's go to the inn so I can change back into something that doesn't trample all over your sensibilities.”

Illira nodded, "Carry on then. Though I wish to speak to you later Antimony. There is an assignment for you."

Antimony winced at Ulanan’s response, her tail twitching against one leg. "Alright. Perhaps there will be fewer... things everywhere." At Illira's words, her ears pricked up briefly. "Ah, really..? Of course! I'll make sure to be available!"

“You could speak now while I change.”

Illira shook her head. "I do not have the appropriate paperwork to go over with Antimony at the present time."

“Well, then it was a pleasure to see you,” Ulanan announced. “If you excuse me, now...”

Antimony watched the lalafell as she began to walk off for a moment, made as though to follow her, hesitated, and then to Illira, "Ah, I feel as though I should offer an invitation to you...?"

Illira held up a hand. "No. And I would not accept. I have already had my fill of The Wench for one evening."

Ulanan seemed to nod in approval at Illira's words. Antimony looked flustered for a moment and then, “Ah, well... alright then! Good evening, I suppose.”

“Mmm, yes. You as well. But try not to have too much fun on this solemn time.”

As her boss moved on, Antimony returned her attention to Ulanan, catching up to her friend quickly and clearing her throat uncertainly. "Ah, Ulanan, don't feel as though you have to change on my behalf. The mask alone should… help."

Ulanan turned her head briefly to look at Antimony, but quickly returned to face forward, not stopping her stroll. “No, no. This outfit makes no sense without the mask.”

“... Ulanan? Are you mad at me?” The question came faintly.

Ulanan stopped, turned around and stared at Antimony. "Yes, I'm mad at you. So mad, in fact, that I will summon Ifrit!"

Antimony's eyes widened. "What..! But I..." She trailed off, ears pressed flat against her head, and then after a pause, "... are you joking with me?"

Not directly replying, Ulanan exclaimed, "Behold! I'm an allagan summoner!" and, with a swift movement, opened her book. A paper figurine resembling Ifrit stood out from between the pages like the fake statue that it was. Its construction was amateur at best, but it did manage enough of a likeness that its identity was more than apparent enough. The lalafell poked her tongue out and smiled.

Antimony jumped when Ulanan opened the book, but a moment later she was torn between frowning and smiling. "That is... that is not funny!" Her tone said otherwise.

Ulanan closed the book, crushing the figurine between the pages. “Well, let's not stand in the bridge. I'm hungry!”

Antimony smiled after a moment. "Alright. I only hope the food has not been contaminated."

“I'll have my Ifrit boil it until it is purified!” At this, Antimony could only chuckle bemusedly and follow Ulanan into the Drowning Wench. As they walked, the lalafell spoke, “Pick a table while I get changed into my ordinary clothes.”

“Please watch your back!” She couldn’t help the flash of concern, what with demons still lurking around every corner.

“Innkeep! The keys to my room. And...a mirror so I can watch my back. Literally.”

Finding an empty table was difficult at this time of evening with so many revelers in high spirits. Antimony did her best to avoid the groups of costumed people as much as possible, finally locating a small table far off to one side of the tavern, tucked into a corner. She could still hear their cheers and jeers and scares – and smell the sharp, strange odors of the candies they’d brought with them – but perhaps with some distance she and Ulanan could at least stay clear of whatever curse they might accidentally invoke.

She was so wrapped up in her judging of the celebrants that she didn’t notice Ulanan  until the lalafell landed soundly in the chair next to her, having taken some kind of running leap up. Recovering from a brief fright, Antimony leaned and tilted her head so that she could see beneath Ulanan's broad-brimmed hat.

“Oh, I should tell you that we will have three guests for tonight's dinner,” Ulanan announced.

“... Three? Guests?”

“Guests! Let me introduce you to them!”

Antimony blinked in confusion. "Al...right."

Ulanan opened the book she always carried and took out the Ifrit figurine, placing it on the table. It couldn’t stand on its own, so it fell down, looking more like a crumpled pile of paper than Ifrit now. “You know Ifrit-egi already! He likes lava and has a hot temper.”

Antimony's ears went a little lopsided at the paper doll. "Ah... hello there, Ifrit-egi...?"

Ulanan passed some more pages and took out another figurine. A yellow one, much bigger than the other. It's Titan! It looked unfinished, though, missing both arms. “And Titan-egi! He's feeling unfulfilled and incomplete, because he has no love in his life. So I also invited...” She removed a third figurine. This one was just a bird painted green. "Garuda-egi!" She placed it next to the others and left them there.

Antimony quirked her mouth at all three likenesses. "Those are... very well-made, Ulanan."

“I have a lot of free time! Now, what should we eat?” Ulanan clapped her hands together as she said this.

Antimony glanced towards the ceiling. "Ah, well... most of what they serve here are... meat-related, I think."

“It is quite a poor selection. We should get something with olives.”

“Olives! Mm, from what I've seen they're fairly common here, so that shouldn't be a problem...” Antimony shook her head. "Fish. Yes... fish and olives?"

Ulanan tapped her chin in thought. “You've been living here for some time. Any fish you recommend?”

“Ah...” Grey ears swiveled about in indecision. “Have you tried mackerel? It's a little bland, but if they have olives it might... not that I'm an expert, that is!”

“I'm not sure what a mackerel is. Does it fly?”

“Fly...?” Antimony blinked. “Ah, well, I haven't actually... seen one in the water, so... I don't know. It does come on a plate, though! With, what was it... butter sauce?”

“Is it a jellyfish?”

Antimony furrowed her brow. "I... don't think so? It seems very... normal-fish-like?"

“A jealous fisherman once fished jewel-shaped jellyfish. It was fishy: she fished the jellyfish shaped like jewels in the fishery where jewel-shaped jellyfish were shed by other jellyfish fishermen.” Ulanan took a breath, “So not fishing at all....where was I going with this...?”

“Ah... I don't really know, I'm sorry.” Features twisted in befuddlement, Antimony added, "Perhaps I should just go order?"

“Mm. Yes! I'm sure the mackerel will be delicious! Don't forget the olives.” She put great emphasis on the last part.

Antimony flicked one ear. "Yes... olives. Of course." She stood then and approached the bar with the intention of ordering foodstuffs. This took longer than one might perhaps expect, and when Antimony returned, she was frowning.

Ulanan blinked once. “Something's the matter?”

“Ah... well, it seems they didn't have any of that mackerel. I hope that's alright... I'm not sure what "seabass" is, but certainly it's edible!”

“It sounds like a drowned musician.”

Antimony furrowed her brow in confusion. "A what? That's a horrible image!"

“Well a bass is...actually, I shouldn't explain it. Here, have a more pleasant image!” Ulanan took up her egi cutouts and handed them to Antimony. The miqo’te woman stared at them as though she were not quite sure what to do with them, though she did hold each in her hands a bit awkwardly. “Did the awful image go away yet?” Ulanan queried.

“These are... well, yes. I suppose it did.” Antimony chuckled. "I should thank you."

“Yes, I provided a solution to the problem I created. I deserve your thanks.” Ulanan smiled sarcastically.

“Oh, don't feel so bad about it.” Antimony held up the ifrit-egi paper figure, frowning at it. "These are very..."

“Paper-y?”

“Well, yes! I was going to say... ah, nevermind.” She set them all on the table between herself and Ulanan.

“At least they are not made of linen.” Ulanan picked up the figurines and, with some finagling, managed to store them between the book's pages once more. "That would be a real catastrophe!"

“That... would? Well, I don't think they would hold up quite as well at least.”

Ulanan shook her head, her eyes fixed at the table's light. "They would look, feel and sound awful! The thing of nightmares. The thing that ruins perfectly planned weddings!"

Antimony blinked. "I... is linen that bad?"

“Well...” Ulanan seemed to give this considerable thought. “I guess it's acceptable as long as it's not clothes.”

Antimony quirked one brow at Ulanan, peered at her as though trying to figure something out, and then ultimately shrugged. “If you say so. Ah, our food!” She flashed a smile at the waitress who totally just brought tasty dinners to their table.

Ulanan tipped the waitress who was totally there a moment ago. “Let's see how this 'seabass' tastes...” Across the table, Antimony prodded at the fish, which came out mostly whole and fileted, with a fork. Olives covered it, just as ordered!

Ulanan was summarily impressed by the service, and the two of them had a lovely, non-ghoulish dinner.