Hydaelyn Role-Players
Hey! I just joined up! - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: RPC (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Forum: Welcome Desk (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Hey! I just joined up! (/showthread.php?tid=5446)

Hey! I just joined up! - J'ruzho - 11-11-2013

Both the forum, and the game. I guess I'll use the template because it'll be easier for me to write and a lot easier for you to read instead of sifting through my ramblings.

--MMORPG background

I've played quite a large amount of MMO's, more than I care to list. Strangely enough Final Fantasy XI is not in my very long list of games played. Despite the sheer number, though, I don't think I've ever actually played any MMO to the end... and most of them I stopped after levelling about half or 1/3 the way to end game.

--RP experience

The bulk of my experience comes from pen and paper rpgs. I've rped quite a bit on the internet, but most of my attempts at a structured internet roleplay have fallen apart...

I've been doing pen and paper for a good 3-4 years now. As for internet roleplaying, I've been doing that on and off for probably around 10-13 years.

--Character ideas/info

So I'm not entirely sure where to go with this character. He's a Miqo'ta, a Seeker of the Sun. His dark skin and blonde hair are attributed to him being born and raised in the desert (somewhere around Thanlan I think, but I don't quite know the geography of this Eorzea very well). I'm still not quite sure on his backstory yet, I'm pretty poor with those, usually better at forming them as I play.

Attitude wise, I was thinking he would be a bit brash, as well as a bit cocky in a way. He's always jumping head first into action without quite gauging the situation, and he has a tendancy to rush, and can usually be seen dashing everywhere, even through city streets, jumping over and dodging around obstacles and slower pedestrians. Sometimes he can forget small details (for example, the aethernet, normally running from place to place despite the aethernet being so readily available, or passing his destination multiple times due to not paying attention to how far he's been running). He's not the brightest when it comes to most things, but what he does know is fighting.

Anyway, like I said, it's still just a bunch of thoughts in my head until I have some people to help flesh all this out.

--How did you learn about the coalition?

GOOGLE! Honestly, I just looked for Final Fantasy XIV roleplaying, and found that Balmung and Gilgamesh were the servers. A few searches later, and here I am.

I decided to try just roleplaying from the very start for once, instead of trying to tack it on afterwards. Also, I felt like it would be a fun way to meet some people, since I don't really know many people that play, and would rather play with people who aren't focused on rushing to endgame.

--What kind of a role-player are you aiming to be?

Definitely heavy. I roleplay best when I always act in tune with the character. Being consistent helps me understand the character better and I feel helps me avoid meta-knowledge traps.

--Real life additional stuff

I'm 26, a guy, and am probably stretching my time way too thin. Between my job (although I do manage to sometimes find time to check out forums/talk to friends at work) and fencing classes (which I have for 2 hours on Monday/Wednesday, and 1 hour on Friday) I don't really get much free time. I'll try to be on when I can, just don't expect me to be the type of person that can respond to everything within a few hours, or even a few days (although I do hate when that happens).

It's always so odd when these things end up way longer than expected.

RE: Hey! I just joined up! - Navisse - 11-11-2013

Welcome aboard!

Curiosity and sake of conversation, why do you think you've never come close to maxing a character in an MMO?

RE: Hey! I just joined up! - Faye - 11-11-2013

Welcome, good to have you here! Big Grin I'm always happy to role-play, come say hi if you see me in game!

RE: Hey! I just joined up! - Lutra - 11-11-2013

Hello hello ~ Welcome! :3

Feel free to wave me down for rp sometime. Have fun gaming. <3

RE: Hey! I just joined up! - J'ruzho - 11-11-2013

(11-11-2013, 05:16 PM)Navisse Wrote: Welcome aboard!

Curiosity and sake of conversation, why do you think you've never come close to maxing a character in an MMO?

Hey, I'm all about curiosity.

I think it's a combination of not finding many interesting things to do, and more importantly not having anybody to do things with. My real life friends typically don't stay in games for very long if they even decide to start, so it always would wind up being me by myself just soloing forever in the hopes that one day they'll start playing again and I can give them all this fantastic loot I've found (which never happens). It gets very old with nobody to play with.

It's the main reason I decided to try a roleplaying server. I'm not quite up to snuff with those people that live and breathe the meta of a game (often making sacrifices for the sake of style) so guilds that are all about raiding and getting gear and amassing wealth just tire me out. And killing monsters, while fun, gets old. Sometimes I just wanna relax and hang out, and I'm hoping that I can do that ICly.

RE: Hey! I just joined up! - Navisse - 11-11-2013

Roleplay and social interaction is what makes MMOs for me too. The core gameplay of an MMO is rarely good enough to be fun as a totally solo game. I don't have many RL friends who play these games but I have a group of online friends I've played with for about 8 years now and I know I tend to not stick around after they wander off. Making new friends can be hard but Balmung is really friendly and welcoming server. 

So welcome, and best of luck ^^

RE: Hey! I just joined up! - Olofantur - 11-12-2013

Greetings and welcome to the RPC J'ruhzo

I'm a pen and paper fan myself, any particular rule set you use most of the time? I used to be primarily 3.5, but i've found myself involved in more and more Pathfinder these days. particularly since the release of "Mythic" levels/content.

As you said to Navisse, I as well enjoy the casual and relaxed interactions as a way to keep interest in the game. (though I am also one of the meta-gamers, I love me some math and spread sheets.) The taverns in the main cities and even some of the more scenic areas can be great for this. Fishing in vesper bay i've had people walk up and just chat away.

A few quick resources, if you don't mind some reading.
http://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/misc.php?page=welcome
That welcome post outlines the majority of the resources here at your disposal as well as linking to them. As a note some of the Linkshells listed in the linkshell hall are closed down for various reasons, how ever the leader of the RPC Kylin has mentioned that he will be requiring a "check in" to clean up the pages of anyone whos' no longer active.

Eva also created a wonderful RP handbook, many of its old stuff for anyone experienced in RP in general and MMORP more specifically, but I still find it handy to distribute, heck maybe you'll find something you've over looked.
http://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/showthread.php?tid=1770

Aside from that feel free to poke around, bug me in game if you see me running, ask questions, make comments, all the usual. Hope to see you in Eorzea! Cactuar

RE: Hey! I just joined up! - J'ruzho - 11-12-2013

Thanks for the welcome and all the info, Olofantur!

I've been looking through a lot of it already, but it doesn't hurt to look through more. And I always enjoy reading rules/guidelines for rp communities. Heck, I've been part of communities that avoided rules/guidelines like the plague. It...didn't end well. Glad to see so much thought being put into everything.

As for my pen and paper rpgs, I've done most in 3.5. We've been talking of moving to pathfinder, and I haven't heard about this Mythic stuff at all! It sounds really interesting! I've also dabbled in a lot of different systems and settings. We've done some 4th edition d&d (we retrofit those rules like crazy and change around flavor for things to make the characters and world less cookie-cutter), the Fate system, Shadowrun, and some experimental systems that my friends created.

RE: Hey! I just joined up! - Olofantur - 11-12-2013

(11-12-2013, 01:14 PM)Jruzho Wrote: Thanks for the welcome and all the info, Olofantur!

I've been looking through a lot of it already, but it doesn't hurt to look through more. And I always enjoy reading rules/guidelines for rp communities. Heck, I've been part of communities that avoided rules/guidelines like the plague. It...didn't end well. Glad to see so much thought being put into everything.

As for my pen and paper rpgs, I've done most in 3.5. We've been talking of moving to pathfinder, and I haven't heard about this Mythic stuff at all! It sounds really interesting! I've also dabbled in a lot of different systems and settings. We've done some 4th edition d&d (we retrofit those rules like crazy and change around flavor for things to make the characters and world less cookie-cutter), the Fate system, Shadowrun, and some experimental systems that my friends created.

No problem, always happy to provide information.

Yeah, a disregard, or disrespect even of any form of Order can make things a bit of a cluster. Twisting Nether was like that from time to time, its what prompted my move to the Steamwheedle Cartel in the WoW days. The "wiki" in to tool bar above hosts a variety of character and lore pages that are to a certain extent "agreed upon" though of course since they are user made and maintained they can go through revision from time to time.

For Pen and Paper it took me a long time to be okay with some of Pathfinders new ideas, but I think they've handled them with the proper weight of responsibility. A good example would be the "Kingmaker" and "Jade Reagent" Pathfinder campaigns, ports of preexisting they really show where Pathfinder has helped to grow the options your PCs have. A note on Mythic levels, they're still fairly new, I equate them to a mixture of "Hero points" and "Prestige classes". While Pathfinder does have some more "advanced" classes, they didn't always feel as potent as some of the 3.5 stuff (and example is Mythic levels on my Wizard make me feel like a proper 3.5 Archmage again, although the lack of the "sonic" element makes damage swapping less fun, I miss my 6d6 Sonicballs of death..)

Augh Shadowrun, so much fun, have you checked out the isometric release of the game on steam? its pretty interesting.

RE: Hey! I just joined up! - Swashbuckler - 11-12-2013

Welcome, J'ruhzo. Good to have you!

Something that got me hooked to MMOs was not only the game itself, but the RP it had to offer. I'm still fairly new to FF14: ARR myself but I've already found the people to be quite friendly and welcoming to strangers like myself!

I've not had the pleasure of doing P&P RPs but like yourself, I have about a decade or so of RPing on the intarwebs and it has evolved so much since Yahoo Groups RPs.

Have you checked out the RPC Coalition wiki? Aside from character articles in there, there is also lore information that may be helpful to you.

Hope to see you in Eorzea!

RE: Hey! I just joined up! - J'ruzho - 11-12-2013

(11-12-2013, 01:24 PM)Olofantur Wrote: Augh Shadowrun, so much fun, have you checked out the isometric release of the game on steam? its pretty interesting.
Actually, you just reminded me that I was supposed to buy that, haha. I think we're actualy going to use it in conjunction with our game next time we play Shadowrun.

Also, thanks everyone for the welcomes! Don't want to make it seem like I'm ignoring you just because I don't have any specific responses, I appreciate every welcome I get!

Hope to see you all in Eorzea! You'll probably spot me dashing all over the place, especially in Ul'dah, feel free to stop me and chat if I pass you by, I won't mind! Just because I'm dashing everywhere doesn't mean I'm in a hurry.

Edit:

So, in my research on Maqo'ta, I'm feeling a bit discouraged now about my choice of race. Not because Maqo'ta are common, but because male Maqo'ta are extremely common when they're supposed to be rare. I'm not sure why this bothers me, and I'm not sure if I would want to start over since I do like my character and have been doing a lot of thinking about how he would act coming from a tribe, I just felt I should mention it.

Forget what I said, I just thought of a backstory that I love! I'll be writing it up now.