Hydaelyn Role-Players
[Inactive] Lansquenet - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Resources (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+--- Forum: Linkshell Hall (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=15)
+---- Forum: Chronicles (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+---- Thread: [Inactive] Lansquenet (/showthread.php?tid=5469)

Pages: 1 2 3

Lansquenet - Fenrir - 11-12-2013

Lansquenet
1.  A gambling game of chance
2.  Archaic spelling of Landsknecht -- German mercenaries
3.  The drums carried by the Landsknecht

[Image: pdsSsjj.png]
(Art by Ansemaru)

It’s a cold day in Limsa Lominsa, a late-autumn rainstorm rolling off the sea and spraying the spires and white stones of the city. The wind howls, the air is laced with salt spray, and nobody seems to mind, because they’re all packed into the floor of a bar on the lower decks, jammed together like sardines in a tin and putting off enough body heat to offset any inclement weather.

The stage in front of them is low and obscured behind a sailcloth curtain painted with simple blue designs. There’s a Roegadyn woman, tall and poised, currently standing in front of it, keeping the crowd engaged with a story of a sea voyage gone hilariously wrong as the minutes count down to the start of the show.

“-and that was when we found out that the order was misread, and the fifty pounds of dodo jerky was nowhere to be found. Because there were fifty live dodos in the hold, you see, and they weren’t exactly happy to be there.”

Behind the curtain there is precious little division between “backstage” and the stage itself, other than a carefully-positioned wall of wooden backdrop pieces. Behind the wall is a mess of crates and boxes, props and costume pieces strewn about the floor, and in the middle of them all are a small and motley crowd of individuals.

“Hold still, unless you want to fasten the back yourself.”

A severe-looking Miqo’te glares over her spectacles as she helps a delicate-looking Elezen man into what appears to be an elaborate wedding dress.

“S-sorry, I’ve just got butterflies again. Big crowd tonight.”

She sighs at him, and one of the other actors comes to comfort him, laying a hand on his shoulder. She’s another Elezen, whose blue complexion seems to pale in comparison to the outrageous blue wig she has on.

“You’ll be alright! You only have to jump off the stage once, and this time, nobody will forget to catch you!”

The individual shrouded in a bulky winged costume behind the two makes a vague, sheepish gesture, before trying to also put a hand on the Elezen’s shoulder. Said hand being inside one of the costume’s wings makes it a more difficult endeavor than planned, and the Miqo’te fixes them with a withering look, before continuing to lace up the back of the dress.

“Besides, all you have to do is stand up there and play pretend. You all know exactly who’s doing the real work tonight. It’s going to be a big night, with a crowd like this.”

Through the curtain, they can hear the emcee’s voice ring out above the crowd.

“Ladies and gentlemen! If I could have your attention, please, the show is about to start!”

The curtain starts to raise, and the actors scramble to take up their positions in the wings. Behind the woman, a beautifully painted facsimile of a church in the sky is revealed, and both Elezen, dressed as a bride and groom, take the stage. From somewhere unseen, a bard strikes a dramatic chord, and the Roegadyn gestures broadly as she steps aside.

“Our story begins in the far-off land of Sphera, where vicious primals run free, and summoners are the only hope of the people. But for our fair heroine, Luna, that hope is quite distant. Will she escape the clutches of her wicked groom? Will she save the world?”

She takes a bow, as the actors step forward. “You’d best sit tight, if you wish to find out. This will be one hell of a story.”

-------

Blood spills onto the stage.

A Miqo'te woman has fallen to her knees, red welling from the new gash in her chest.  Another woman, a tall drink of Elezen, looms over her, sword clutched in hand.  Their eyes meet, and even through the dull haze of smoke and alcohol fouling the dive, the audience know they ain't through.  They talk.  The cat’s pitiful, not for the way she pleads, but for the glimmer in her eye that tells you she’s praying and calculating, working up to hope that she's got a chance out of it.  One look at the Elezen, the cold steel of her eyes and the cruel set of her mouth, makes it obvious that not a single of the Twelve has plans for her that don’t involve a hole in the ground and a gig as cheap fertilizer.

The sword goes through the cat’s stomach.  The lights dim.  The curtains drop.  The room’s near silent.  It was a good story for a shitty saloon. 

There’s a small smattering of applause.  There’s more laughs and drunken whoops.  Miners and the other roughnecks that make up the dive’s clientele aren’t the discerning type – something as clear as the homebrew swill they’re knocking back by the gallon.  They want flesh, violence, cheap highs and lows, anything that’ll take their minds off their own miserable little lives;  they spend their days scuttling underground, sore and tired, all their work serving to make another rich while they barely scrape by.

The curtain lifts.  A Miqo'te lass and Elezen lad are poised on stage.  They’re not wearing much besides makeup and smiles.  They’re trying for salacious, but there’s nervousness pinching both their faces.  Still, they dance, and they’re good, and the crowd is quiet, enjoying themselves.  She’s bronze, he’s pale.  The contrast catches the eye.  The jewels laid across their bare skin catches the low burning lantern light, and gleams as sinfully as they sway.

No one pays any mind the new people hustling through the door, even with one of them dragging their feet and attempting to break free.  The few who turn their heads to the scuffle of boot on hardwood floor aren't bothered.

The two on stage finish with a flourish, the knife-eared boy lifting the cat in the air and she twirls down the lanky length of him and ends up clinging to his leg when the lights and curtains drop again.

The burst of applause is riotous.  People stomp their feet, whistle, shout encore.  They want the glitter back.  Mostly they just want to look at the two awhile longer.

The thunder of the crowd is still fading when the curtains part, and a spotlight isolates a chair sitting centerstage.  It's the loneliest place in a bar bursting with closehearted men and women.  A Roegadyn sits in it, arms like tree trunks bound behind him.  His head lolls, dark eyes glazed, one swollen shut with a nasty bruise.   His lips are burst and bleeding.  The wind’s fallen out of the audience.  The silence is deep, primal.  It’s recognition.  They know their boss, even bone-deep hurt like he is.  A lot of them have thought good and hard about what he’d look like in such a state.

A new man steps up behind their boss.  His tail slashes the air.  His smile is knife-edged, toothy, and his blazing yellow eyes are cut sharp in amusement.  His voice is low and warm when he speaks, but there’s a gravel underneath the smoke, like the man’s got coal buried deep down in his chest.  He’s got the barest tang of an accent, something come crawling deep out of the hidden recesses of Gridania.  He tangles claws in the Roegadyn’s hair and jerks the man’s head up to look out at the crowd.  The Roegadyn's stomach drops out; he knows they're gonna watch him die.

“Final act: New Management.”

Blood spills onto the stage.

RE: Lansquenet - ansemaru - 11-12-2013

Just here to say that I'm one of the current members of Lansquenet, and I'm very excited to see our Free Company open its ranks to fresh blood.

My character, Aumeric Chassebel, is an actor and entertainer in the ranks of the company! He's a naive sweetheart who usually ends up in the role of the "heroine" in plays, and absolutely out of his depth on the shadier backstage activities of his fellows. I suppose that's one of the things about Lansquenet- it's a place where you can absolutely have your character focus on just acting or music or other performance, or just on the criminal side of things behind the scenes, or dabble in both, and be totally at home! So there's no need to feel intimidated if you've got a thief or a thug who can't memorize lines to save their life, or a delicate artist who has no aptitude for picking pockets or roughing up competitors. There's absolutely a place for both sorts, and anybody in-between.

RE: Lansquenet - Fenris - 11-12-2013

Looks interesting and I hope you will thrive on the server.

And not to be that kind of guy but check the first sentance, in the "behind the curtain" section, for anything amiss.

Good luck in your future endevours!

RE: Lansquenet - Fenrir - 11-13-2013

(11-12-2013, 11:45 PM)Fenris Wrote: Looks interesting and I hope you will thrive on the server.

And not to be that kind of guy but check the first sentance, in the "behind the curtain" section, for anything amiss.

Thanks.

But I'm not sure if you're suggesting I'm missing hyphens or you're just unaware of the meaning.

RE: Lansquenet - Anstarra - 11-15-2013

(11-12-2013, 11:45 PM)Fenris Wrote: Looks interesting and I hope you will thrive on the server.

Hee. A lot of people don't know the 'something cum something' expression. I had to explain it to someone! She thought you meant to write 'scum'.

RE: Lansquenet - Fenris - 11-15-2013

(11-15-2013, 08:44 PM)Anstarra Wrote: Hee. A lot of people don't know the 'something cum something' expression. I had to explain it to someone! She thought you meant to write 'scum'.

That's the case here as well. I never knew "cum" could be anything but cum. 
Well no harm done, just thought it was a typo and not a way of actually writing something. 

Haha good luck anyways!

RE: Lansquenet - Anstarra - 11-24-2013

(11-15-2013, 09:43 PM)Fenris Wrote:
(11-15-2013, 08:44 PM)Anstarra Wrote: Hee. A lot of people don't know the 'something cum something' expression. I had to explain it to someone! She thought you meant to write 'scum'.

That's the case here as well. I never knew "cum" could be anything but cum. 
Well no harm done, just thought it was a typo and not a way of actually writing something. 

Haha good luck anyways!

"From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Cum may refer to:

A Latin word, which can be either the preposition with or a conjunction meaning when, because, or although.
An English linking word, derived from the Latin word for 'with.' It is used in many place names in England as well as in everyday English - e.g. Prestwich-cum-Oldham
cum tempore (with time); notation used at universities in German, Austrian, Swiss and Scandinavian countries for starting 15 minutes late.
Referring to diplomas and degrees: cum laude (with praise), magna cum laude (with great praise); maxima cum laude (with maximal praise); summa cum laude (with highest praise); egregia cum laude (with outstanding praise)"

It's the first one <3 A linking word. The More You Know!

RE: Lansquenet - Saefinn - 11-29-2013

A member of my crew raised this FC to my attention, it interests me greatly. I was planning on using another RP event to sort of create a Mummers play to have my crew steal from people at the party, but this...this is perfect. Aye, I'm an FC leader and aye I have a crew of my own, but I think we could be friends.

So as a Captain of a loyal crew to fellow outlaws, I would like to extend my hand in welcome and hope that we can find some kind of alliance, I suspect our skills will be...mutually beneficial.

RE: Lansquenet - Y'tuma - 12-01-2013

( ^ - ^ Hello there! I just popped by to say hello and thank you for the acceptance into the FC!! I look forward to all the 'performances' haha :D )

RE: Lansquenet - ansemaru - 12-03-2013

Just a heads-up: Lansquenet has pulled up stakes and moved to Balmung. We are still looking for members and RP, but please take note that we are no longer on the Gilgamesh server!

RE: Lansquenet - R'sonjha - 01-03-2014

R'sonjha and her caretaker/babysitter, A'vett had just joined this company and I am just -loving- it so far even though it's my first day. My character has a nice room to fit into their group and A'vett isn't any the wiser! So if you're looking for witty roleplay, this is the place to go.

RE: Lansquenet - Midrahk - 01-13-2014

Absolutely stellar writing, I have to say. That opening story had me in suspense. Definitely looking forward to seeing one of your performances sometime-- do you have a list of times that they're held, by any chance?

RE: Lansquenet - Fenrir - 01-14-2014

(01-13-2014, 07:18 PM)Midrahk Wrote: Absolutely stellar writing, I have to say. That opening story had me in suspense. Definitely looking forward to seeing one of your performances sometime-- do you have a list of times that they're held, by any chance?

Sadly, we do not regularly hold plays. 

However, we are planning for an event next month for Valentine's.

RE: Lansquenet - ansemaru - 01-16-2014

Incidentally, I realize that while the OOC information for this free company says that people should feel free to contact us in-game, we don't actually list the individuals that are available for contact. I'm going to amend that!

Our leaders, Fenr'ir Nebelung and Skoena Fraewyn, are your best bet. Fenr'ir's usually on a bit more frequently than Skoena, but both of them have the direct authority to scout out new talent and bring them into the fold.

If neither of those two are around, your recourse should be seeking out Cendrillon Braids. She's somewhat of a major figure in the company, both IC and OOC, and she can report right back to our fearless leader and our esteemed leader in regards to applicants.

And if neither of those three are around, you can always come to me- I'm usually playing on Aumeric Chassebel, and I'll promptly pass on any messages for our leaders out-of-game if need be.

Other things of note: with any new applicant, we like to conduct an IC meeting/interview to assess their suitability for the free company, along with OOC talk. Once you get in touch, we can schedule a time and point you to the regular meeting place. The interview won't take long, and will typically involve a handful of members of Lansquenet! It's a nice way to get a taste of the group dynamic and some of the regulars you'll be RPing with in the future.

We are still recruiting. Right now, however, we do have a slight imbalance in favor of certain character types. A large portion of our current pool of members are alts, and we would love to take in more mains, or alts that are online fairly frequently. We have weekly meetings, so it's a shame if members of the FC miss them due to engagements on their primary character! We've also got a hair more "backstage" members than actual performers- right now, our pool of actors hovers around four, which does rather limit what performances we can put on, and how frequently we can put on performances. So if anybody is up for playing a bard, dancer, or actor: we'd love to have you around.

RE: Lansquenet - UltraFennec - 02-21-2014

Hmmm, this could be interesting for a more...gritty and criminal bent to my character, but I liked both FF7 AND Advent Children! Whatever am I to do about that silly joking line up there in the information?

Tongue

Still, the idea appeals...I may look y'all up.