Hydaelyn Role-Players
Looking for lasting rp connections. - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Looking for lasting rp connections. (/showthread.php?tid=5482)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Looking for lasting rp connections. - Gray - 11-13-2013

I don't know if this is the right place to post this, and yes, I know there are rp linkshells, but they've not proven very useful to me so far.  So here it goes.

On the rp intensity scale I classify myself as hardcore, and if I really find a good groove, immersion (a step above hardcore).  The problem is I just can't seem to really connect anywhere.  What I am mainly looking for, are other rpers who are looking for reliable connections for rp that they can feel secure in knowing they can count on for ic interaction more than once a week.

Maybe you're really shy.  Maybe you're socially incompetent.  Maybe you've had rotten luck.  Maybe what mainstream rp has become just isn't for you (scheduled events/tavernsitting/etc).  I'm all of the above, and more.  These are the types I'm mainly looking to get a hold of.  Not that I won't rp with others though.  I will.

For me, rp is at the top of the list in an mmo.  The game, no matter how good it is, just lacks something without it.  I have had a few dedicated rp partners in my time, and to date, none have stuck around with me.  And because I work best in smaller groups, with fewer people, and more tightly woven stories, this either causes me to lose the will to play the character anymore, or makes it all but impossible to continue without retconning everything or coming up with a lot of contrived stuff.

So I guess this is me reaching out to others who can't seem to find what they're looking for.  As for myself, I don't bail on rp with people.  I am looking to establish ongoing rp.  Relationships, plot, and stories that is always going, and always growing.  Not necessarily though structured story arcs, but through just...being our characters.  Though there would be story arcs.  Characters person story arcs.  Larger story arcs.  Basically, reliable, steady rp and character development.

I hope this didn't come off as overly negative, and I hope I adequately conveyed my thoughts.   If anyone thinks they'd be interested, send me a pm or something.

RE: Looking for lasting rp connections. - Val - 11-13-2013

I can't necessarily say you'll find everything you're looking for with us, but you're more than welcome to look me up in game =)

I'm not sure the character is what you're looking for, but his wiki is in my signature and you're more than welcome to message me sometime for RP! I generally try to remain open as much as I can for RP interaction with others, and I do have a couple of alts if you'd like to inquire about them if Val does not fit your desires for friendship and fun RP!

RE: Looking for lasting rp connections. - Kheni'to - 11-13-2013

Hello Gray. I can certainly understand at least some of what you're talking about because I have similar circumstances. I don't know yet if I would classify myself as a light, medium or hardcore RPer. I need a lot more practice, more experience and more improvement (I am often hard on myself when it comes to writing). I am shy in-game so far because I am still new to RP. That is why I try to break out of my shell a bit on this board.

The last FC I was a part of didn't work out for me. I left the FC and decided to get my character to at least level 40 before trying to join another FC. However, I still want to continue to develop my RP skills, so I will still be willing to meet with people to RP, and RP random encounters and whatnot.

My point is: I understand, and if you don't mind RPing with someone who is a bit new to it, you can look me up, in the game, anytime.

RE: Looking for lasting rp connections. - LiadansWhisper - 11-13-2013

I was gonna poke you in game, but you'd logged! Sad

RE: Looking for lasting rp connections. - Faye - 11-14-2013

I'm happy to role-play anytime, of course! You know where to find me Smile

RE: Looking for lasting rp connections. - TheLastCandle - 11-14-2013

I hear you. "Rotten luck" might be one way to describe my success with retaining RP connections.. for whatever reason, people lose interest. So, feel free to look me up in game. I'm always ready and willing to go in character, and establishing some sort of familiarity through "regular" RP outside of the standard events and such sounds pretty refreshing.

RE: Looking for lasting rp connections. - Gray - 11-14-2013

Thanks for the replies so far.

Val, I'm open to rp with most character types.  I do realize that certain types just don't work well together, but I have rarely had that problem.

Kheni'to, I'm fine with rp with new rpers.  Also willing to help out with advice and such.

LiadansWhisper, Poke anytime.  Or maybe I will, if I can bring myself to risk it.  Also, haven't I seen you around someplace?  Name sounds familiar.

Faye, thanks.  I may just do that sometime, and/or ask in FC again.

Teveriel, Yeah it sucks.  And what's worse is the people who bail are always talking about how hard it is to find rp, and how -they- keep getting let down.  Makes me like "wtf?"  Anyways, I'll hopefully take you up on that soon.

Again, thanks.  And let me just reiterate this for any interested or who may be wondering.  This isn't a "looking for RP" thread.  "It's a looking for RP CONNECTIONS" thread.  I'm not looking to just rp with someone, and then go about my merry (or not so) way.  And I'm not looking to just throw myself into another pool of people and hope to get lucky when someone is bored enough, or has no one else to talk to or rp with.  Nor am I looking to throw others into that.  I'm looking to establish reliable contacts for people who are serious about trying to find something more than sitting at the inn, or being herded to an event.  So those who are in so many linkshells they can't keep up, or who have 30 friends on at any given time, or who can't say two words without 10 people tripping over themselves to reply likely won't get much from this endeavor, as they've already got established connections.  Again, though, that doesn't mean they're not welcome, or anything like that.  I just want to paint a clear picture of what it is I'm trying to do, and I don't want anyone in either group to enter into it looking for something that isn't there.

The people who would benefit from this are the ones who have maybe 5 or 6 friends on their list who don't particularly want to talk to them.  Or the ones who are on other peoples lists, but are always at the bottom.  Or the ones who have fallen so much that they have real trouble mustering the will and courage to keep trying, for fear of failing again.

Thanks again, and I hope we can make something come of this.

RE: Looking for lasting rp connections. - Rosekitten - 11-14-2013

I've had the rotten luck bit myself. I make tons of connections heck at one point I was working on a sort of family or sibling idea with someone who bailed after we  spent a few days talking out details of things. 

I've noticed the same thing as far as people who complain on not being able to find rp are the ones who bail. =/ I can't complain cause I've not honestly looked that hard for rp >_> been busy till late.

RE: Looking for lasting rp connections. - Naunet - 11-14-2013

What kinds of plottiness are you looking for, per chance? I ask because my little amoeba of friends are extremely plot-prone and have a habit of going a bit nuts with how extensive our RP is, so you might find working your character into the weave of our characters' stories interesting.

RE: Looking for lasting rp connections. - oceanofstars - 11-14-2013

This is my first post here on the forum, though I have been lurking about for some time. I know that does not give me much credibility, and probably makes me look like an amateur, but I felt the need to create an account and post because I'm in a similar situation.

I'm on Balmung and would be interested in roleplaying with you, or anyone else with similar experiences. We can see if our personalities and interests mesh and take it from there. Feel free to send me a tell in game, or a message here on the forums.

RE: Looking for lasting rp connections. - Gray - 11-14-2013

Rosekitten, Yeah, that sucks...  Especially if you actually get started and then they bail.  Then you're sorta left with a busted character...  I honestly haven't been looking too hard either.  This is really the first big attempt I've made in...months.  Not that I'm busy, lol.  Just tough to keep riding the roller coaster.

Naunet, I typically like to slip into any plot.  How to put this, hmm...  I like to slip into my character and just be my character.  Sometimes that means small talk.  Sometimes that means being involved in something big.  Whatever it is.  I like my rp to be organic.  I don't like anything forced, overly structured, or heavily scheduled.  I like all sorts of plot and rp.  I just try not to get involved in too much "sad" at a time as a game is an escape...  I'm not so much looking to be brought into others plots, as looking to just be able to develop my character, and help others develop theirs, be that through chit chat, or through super intense story arcs.  Basically, I'm open to a lot.

Oceanofstars, Don't feel like you aren't important because it's your first post.  You're views, and presence here are as important and mean as much as anyone here.  A high post count and lots of rep is a popularity thing.  Not a credibility thing, so feel free to speak your mind.  I know that's kind of hard.  I still feel the same way myself but eh, we can work to strengthen ourselves.

Keep em coming...  I'm not the greatest at this but I'ma try!

RE: Looking for lasting rp connections. - Rosekitten - 11-14-2013

I can normally fix things if they've bailed early enough.. my character has taken a bit of a turn i didn't count on to say the least due to bails and trying to fix it without breaking character >_> *stubborn* 

also on the note of new posters or first posts .. we all start somewhere ^-^ don't put yourselves down, either of you.

RE: Looking for lasting rp connections. - Val - 11-14-2013

Val and Faye tend to be a package deal, so RPing with one generally means you'll get the other. In fact, with Val, you'll most likely want Miss Covington around. She tends to keep him in line =p

So hit one of us up and we'll meet you sometime!

RE: Looking for lasting rp connections. - Raeras - 11-14-2013

I would love to RP with you sometime, Rae is always up for meeting new people to add to her small circle. She is shy at times, or more of a listener than a talker on certain subjects, but she isn't the type to ignore anyone if they speak directly to her or ask a question to the group she happens to find herself in. Unless I have something planned already game wise (like an instance with FC or something) I'll always take RP over trying to level, so feel free to PM me in game or something if you see me around!

RE: Looking for lasting rp connections. - Roen - 11-14-2013

Gray, I can definitely emphathize.  Just hanging out at a tavern/public locale waiting for that great interaction or spark of RP chemistry and coming up empty night after night can be frustrating and tiresome. And certainly not what usually motivates some people to keep trying every day.

I know that for a character to continue to be motivating and creatively inspiring, they must make connections, whether it be forging lasting friendships, or even enemies.  As in life, having people who you can count on, may they be friends, family or even employers, drives you.  And it is the same in roleplay, your character becomes more defined and interesting, from the alliances and enemies they make.

I don't know that our playing styles match, but you certainly seem open to possibilities, and I am a pretty malleable player as well. I am reaching out on the boards and applying to FCs to try and make those RP connections.  I am willing to take a chance here as well.  If you don't try, how will you know?

Let me know if you want to meet up sometime or PM me if you want to talk more about what you have in mind.