Hydaelyn Role-Players
Greetings from a Humble Scholar - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: RPC (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Forum: Welcome Desk (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Greetings from a Humble Scholar (/showthread.php?tid=5688)

Greetings from a Humble Scholar - Rin - 12-04-2013

Hello! I've been playing FF14 for a couple of months and figured it was time to start actually interacting with people and being social, instead of hiding in a remote corner of Limsa making pies all day.

A friend of mine who's been playing since the original beta finally talked me into trying FF14, and I ended up loving it! My friend plays on Balmung, and I was super pleased to discover that I'd ended up on one of the RP servers. I've roleplayed with a couple of people who were kind enough to talk to me while I was idling in some Adventurer's Guild or other, and I'd really like to get more into it! In general people on FF14 seem pretty welcoming and nice.

--MMORPG background
I played WoW and Star Wars: the Old Republic before FF14. WoW was the only one I played seriously.

--RP experience

I RPed extensively in WoW and loved it, which is the primary reason why I'm looking for RPers on FF14. I have been roleplaying since I was a wee lass (nearly 20 years, off and on, I think...wow, I feel old). Mostly tabletop, with some LARP, online RP, and MMO roleplaying thrown in.

--Character ideas/info
Right now I just have the one character -- Rinha'li Dhavha, a Keeper miqo'te. I'm still bouncing around specifics in my head for backstory and the like, especially as I learn more about the world, but the general idea for Rin is that he's an eccentric scholar whose odd habits, peculiar interests, and poor constitution made him kind of the black sheep of his family. He traveled a bit trying to be useful for the matriarch of his clan, but was waylaid by pirates who thought for sure they could get someone to pay for the safe return of this obviously learned young man...only to find that Rinha'li's family wasn't willing to pony up the ransom.

One way or another he managed to come out of the ordeal alive, but now he's stranded in Limsa Lominsa and is trying his hardest to adapt to life on the rough-and-tumble streets of Limsa. He earns money as a scribe and runs odd jobs for the Arcanist's Guild in exchange for library access. He's cautious, shy, and has a tendency to ramble on when nervous, which is almost always. He also suffers from chronic insomnia and can frequently be found wide awake during the middle of the day, unusual for a Keeper of the Moon.

He has an interest in arcanima but I haven't decided what he's actually capable of IC.

--How did you learn about the coalition?
My friend who got me into the game pointed me here when I asked if there was an RP server, haha. He's not an RPer himself, unfortunately, but that was pretty helpful of him.

--What kind of a role-player are you aiming to be? Light, medium, or heavy?
I can't get on the game often enough to be anything more than medium, I think. I'm also only about level 25 (in three classes, admittedly...>_>Wink so I'll be splitting my time between RP and leveling. I like both casual and storyline-focused RP, and I really like helping with planning out storylines, actually.

--Anything from real life you'€™re comfortable with sharing? (Work, school, hobbies, etc)
I'm 27 years old, female, living in midwest USA. You can call me by my character name, or Jack (which is what I go by on other parts of the internet). I'm trained as a librarian, currently working in a bookstore and doing freelance editing until I can land a Real Job ™. My big hobbies aside from tabletop RP are writing, fencing, drawing, sewing, and spending a lot of time on the internet. I don't actually play that many MMOs but I really like Pokemon and fighting games :V I'm a big fan of horror movies and I own a white rabbit named Gilbert.

If you see me, feel free to say hi IC! I don't typically wander around IC on MMOs, but I'm usually more than willing to drop into character and chat a bit.

...this came out way wordier and longer than I intended D: /hides

RE: Greetings from a Humble Scholar - Lutra - 12-04-2013

Hello and welcome to the RPC! It's great to have you in the community. C:

If you see Rhesh'ir Zhwan or any of the AW peeps in game, feel free to join us for RP!

RE: Greetings from a Humble Scholar - Kieron Lohengrin - 12-04-2013

welcome to balmung =x

RE: Greetings from a Humble Scholar - Siha - 12-04-2013

Welcome to the RPC! Your character sounds really adorable awesomely manly and he sounds like he'd be fun to play with so if I don't see you first feel free to catch me on any of my alts if you see me wandering around or even drop me a line and we can meet up sometime! (Alts at this time being Siha Xinkei, L'Tao Loha, or A'ahdra Korofi).

RE: Greetings from a Humble Scholar - Wombat - 12-04-2013

Welcome to Balmung and to RPC! Let's be too many Miqo'te together!

RE: Greetings from a Humble Scholar - Olofantur - 12-04-2013

Greetings and welcome to the RPC Rin,

Never fear for length! A comprehensive outline of character and personality make it so much easier for people to feel confident in addressing one another at least in my experience.

Good to hear you've already had the chance to meet interesting people, I've found, particularly in the Adventurers guilds (or anywhere with seating that has decent foot traffic.) is pretty good for spontaneous encounters.

Anywho~, here are some links that may or may not help you on your way. As a note, you can always ask questions, make comments and all that fun stuff, there are a lot of people here that i'm sure would be more than happy to provide their own perspective on some of the more nuanced ideas, or even just letting you know where to get some of the fancier clothes.

http://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/misc.php?page=welcome
Is a welcome post that you might have run into, it covers outlining most of the tools here at the RPC as well as a little background information about the site.

http://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/showthread.php?tid=1770
Is a roleplay hand book put together by the illustrious Eva, while you likely already have a firm grasp of many of the topics discussed, there are a few areas that she touches on that may be informative even for the more experienced of us. If nothing else its another view point.

But on to the communities! I try no to make a habit of plugging IC groups because there is such great variation of them, and variation of desire among roleplayers I truly think the best advice is to just go out and meet them, but here are a few out of character linkshells that might help provide a bit of entertainment along the way.

http://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/showthread.php?tid=1902
"Intermission" is dedicated to getting roleplayers together in game, providing a stage to get to know people, to introduce yourself, to find where people are, what they are doing, maybe check if some one that you've run into in Ul'dah is afk, or just immersed in their own story.

http://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/showthread.php?tid=5045
"Balmungs Finest" is all about the PVE, be it Brayflox or Titan, speed running for tomes, doing it for the storyline or just farming for the illusive Battlemages gloves, this group will help people get reliable and server based groups to plug away at content. Maybe you've already done the story dungeons, "but wait theres more!" as one might say.

Rambling aside, Best of luck in Eorzea!

RE: Greetings from a Humble Scholar - Sahde Vhidgo - 12-05-2013

Welcome to the RPC, and also Balmung!

It sounds as though my Sunseeker Miqo'te, Y'lyfriel Sikah, might have run into your Keeper somewhereabouts the Limsa arcanists' guild, before she left for the Shroud. If ever you'd like to roleplay the two of them, feel free to /friend me in-game.

Cheers! Cactuar