Hydaelyn Role-Players
~Crafting Corner~ - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: ~Crafting Corner~ (/showthread.php?tid=586)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

~Crafting Corner~ - Vareal - 09-06-2010

Ok, here's a link to the only other RPC thread I could find on this issue: <!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.ffxiv-roleplayers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=979">viewtopic.php?f=25&t=979</a><!-- l --> and this one <!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.ffxiv-roleplayers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1473">viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1473</a><!-- l -->

So, let's dedicate this thread to the crafters of the world! So there are links to recipe's, the best site I've found for this is FFXIVorigin.com they've got rec's for nearly every class.

The only thing I'm confused about, and I can't find any info on it anywhere (you search FFXIV for anything all you get is FFXI stuff...) Is do you need to own recepies, or do you just follow one online and boom, you get it? Well, I tried that by attempting to make a Bronze Ignot which requires 4 Bronze Nuggets and 8 Fire Crystals. I have everything to make one, but I can't do it. Anyone with experience in this please help us out! I'll keep experimenting with stuff to try and figure things out.

Re: ~Crafting Corner~ - Asyria - 09-06-2010

Why multiply the threads about the same topic?

Also, you need Crystals, what you likely have is Shards, a lesser form of Crystals, that's why it's not working.

Re: ~Crafting Corner~ - Vareal - 09-06-2010

Asyria Wrote:Why multiply the threads about the same topic?

Also, you need Crystals, what you likely have is Shards, a lesser form of Crystals, that's why it's not working.
I'm trying to pull them all to gether in one thread so they're not scattered >.<

That way instead of someone having to browse for ever, they can jsut click on the crafting corcer and have some place that will have links to everything they need for it. Think of it as one stop shopping.

And no, the rec on ffxivorigins says it requires shards. But now that I think about it, I didn't have enough shards, but I've got a ways to go before I attempt some bronze stuff. I failed trying to create the head for the bronze ball pein hammer.

Re: ~Crafting Corner~ - Asyria - 09-06-2010

Then there are conflicting recipes already. o_O
I've seen it listed as requiring Crystals.
Either way, the thread I made back then that you linked to could have simply been bumped, the databases are already linked in a sticky post and, all in all, I've seen very very little interest in crafting threads so far around here, which surprises me.

Re: ~Crafting Corner~ - Vareal - 09-06-2010

Asyria Wrote:I've seen very very little interest in crafting threads so far around here, which surprises me.

That's probably because it people get detered from it. I know I'm getting a little ticked, but I'm not going to give up on it. I want to play a crafting class for once in my life and from what I can tell so far, Crafting in this game isn't nearly as horrible as crafting in Lineage 2, save for the part where you don't get recipe's...

Re: ~Crafting Corner~ - Trizzip - 09-06-2010

Guides/Databases

The crafting links are towards the bottom. If you have more links, just post in the thread and I'll add 'em.

Re: ~Crafting Corner~ - FreelanceWizard - 09-07-2010

vareal Wrote:That's probably because it people get detered from it.

Bit of a threadjack here, but... I enjoy crafting in EQ2 and WoW, and I can even tolerate it in CoH, but the system here is rather tough. I don't mind creating my own personal grimoire of synthesis recipes, but the failure rates remind me a lot of the early days of EQ2 -- without the exploding forges that instantly kill you, thankfully. The recipes I've found so far in goldsmithing produce relatively unimpressive items, too. It's hard for me to get excited about something that's seemingly so important, yet so punishing to those who try to approach it. Compared to the combat system (which I'm really starting to love) and even the gathering mini-games, synthesis seems so arbitrary and just plain mean.

Re: ~Crafting Corner~ - Zyrusticae - 09-07-2010

I've been trying to craft. Trying so hard!

But, okay, see here... the most basic crafts available all require crystals. Crystals are exceedingly rare drops from specific mob types. Basically, I have no choice but to find a mob that drops a particular crystal element and then farm that mob endlessly to get materials for my most basic of crafts (turning ores into nuggets).

But wait! I can't actually complete the craft for that most basic of recipes, for reasons completely unknown and alien to me! Even more dishearteningly, I've somehow managed to grind my way up to rank 6 blacksmithing (off of SO MANY FAILURES and occasional successes in local levequests), and yet the failure rate seems to be as INHUMANLY SADISTIC as ever.

I just don't understand it. It's like they're doing everything they can to dissuade people from ever going anywhere with it.

This isn't even mentioning the fact that the first axe upgrade recipe requires a material component that nobody knows how to acquire (red ochre buffalo leather strap)....

Re: ~Crafting Corner~ - Asyria - 09-07-2010

Zyrusticae, shards don't come exclusively from mobs, you also pick them up from gathering.
As for the inhumanly hard crafting, there's a trick.
We, the players, are meant to discover these things by ourselves but luckily for you, while many have tentatively succeeded in making things work without really knowing how, there's this one guy who figured out The Secret Of Succesful Crafting!
Ta daaaaaa!
http://www.ffxivcore.com/topic/12420-try-this-my-theory-of-blacksmithing/

Re: ~Crafting Corner~ - Tadir - 09-07-2010

Just so you know. You are given a recipe after every guildleve. I got ones for two different types of crawfish today. They show up in your chat box after you complete the leve. If you don't write them down then no record is kept, but they do give them to you. The two I got today:

[something] crayfish
1 Distilled Water
1 Crayfish
1 Iron Acorn
1 Sack Rye Flower

Crimson Crayfish
1 Mineral Water
1 Bottle of Cloves
1 Crimson Crayfish
1 Table Salt

I'll let you know if I get any more tomorrow.

Asyria Wrote:Zyrusticae, shards don't come exclusively from mobs, you also pick them up from gathering.
As for the inhumanly hard crafting, there's a trick.
We, the players, are meant to discover these things by ourselves but luckily for you, while many have tentatively succeeded in making things work without really knowing how, there's this one guy who figured out The Secret Of Succesful Crafting!
Ta daaaaaa!
http://www.ffxivcore.com/topic/12420-try-this-my-theory-of-blacksmithing/
I tried that.

To be frank, I already know more than he did at the time he made that post. It doesn't work with high fail-rate crafts (the friggin' nuggets, in particular).

To be more specific:
White and gold have the highest success rates, with gold being higher than white, and all success rates are independent of which type of synthesis you use. Red is the lowest of the solid colors, and from what I have seen, when it fails, it fails catastrophically. Obviously, with the rapidly fluctuating colors, there are only two options: Suck it up and hit rapid craft, or wait and hope it stabilizes (and it will... eventually).

You CAN succeed in crafts just by spamming the rapid option, but it'll result in extremely low-quality crafts. It also doesn't work if you keep failing, as you will lose more durability than you gain in progress, not to mention the craft can get unstable and eventually (literally) explode.

Also, I was talking about crystals, not shards. I don't recall ever acquiring a single crystal throughout all eleven ranks of my mining. Maybe fishing or botany are different, but that's just maddening if it is, as it would just make blacksmithing and armory even more gimped next to the other tradeskills.

I believe alchemists can turn shards into crystals at a pretty low level.

I believe that is the intent, yes, but the recipes simply do not exist currently. Hopefully something that goes in for release (if not, well... sucks to be you, smithers!)

The recipes do exist. The best way to learn new recipes is to do the local guildleves. At the end of EVERY ONE you get a recipe.

Re: ~Crafting Corner~ - Kejira - 09-07-2010

Tadir Wrote:The recipes do exist. The best way to learn new recipes is to do the local guildleves. At the end of EVERY ONE you get a recipe.

Yep that how it is, all recipes are there, they are just tricky or near impossible to find out without finding out through guildleves.