Hydaelyn Role-Players
How would I RP time travel? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: How would I RP time travel? (/showthread.php?tid=5869)

Pages: 1 2

How would I RP time travel? - Erik Mynhier - 12-19-2013

Just what it says. Here is the deal. My daughter is wanting to join me when my wife joins me on balmung in a few months after we get her new PC and me a PS4. The 3 is going to my daughter and she wants to play. She wants to RP as my character's daughter but that frustrated her because she couldn't make a character small enough to be a child. Also I explained that mommy's character and mine have no children, so it would make no sense to suddenly have a young child, and for that matter the child she made in the creator as she looked 16 at least.

She thought on it then came to me and said she would be my daughter from the future like River Song. I was stunned into silence then thought, "alright, that might work". The question is how? I know that time travel is common in ff games, and is even the premise of ARR.

She wants to make and play a 17-20 something version of herself and her sister (whos character she will also be playing until her sister is old enough she told me) but I'm not sure of a non-op way of doing it.

RE: How would I RP time travel? - Yloise - 12-19-2013

Some strange atherite and spell combination accident might be plausible. At least plausible for a fictional game. Smile

RE: How would I RP time travel? - Tiergan - 12-19-2013

Louisoix's spell that sent the Warriors of Light 5 years into the future presumably invoked Althyk the Keeper, God of Time.

Your daughter's character could presumably been sent backwards in time with a similar spell.  However, if I were her, I'd make it so her character has partial memory loss. That way her character knows who she is, who her parents are, that she loved them, and memories of her childhood - but nothing really specific about the future since anything she RPs about what the future would be like has a strong potential to go wonky.

Maybe she was sent to the past for some important purpose - but the strain of traveling back that many years into the past robbed her of everything but the most important parts of her memories: her family.

RE: How would I RP time travel? - Aysun - 12-19-2013

As cute as it would be to have her be your daughter in game due to some sort of time travel, it may be safer to just do a retcon and say they /DO/ have children! XD

RE: How would I RP time travel? - pas - 12-19-2013

(12-19-2013, 06:35 PM)Tiergan Wrote: Louisoix's spell that sent the Warriors of Light 5 years into the future presumably invoked Althyk the Keeper, God of Time.

Your daughter's character could presumably been sent backwards in time with a similar spell.  However, if I were her, I'd make it so her character has partial memory loss.  That way her character knows who she is, who her parents are, that she loved them, and memories of her childhood - but nothing really specific about the future since anything she RPs about what the future would be like has a strong potential to go wonky.

Maybe she was sent to the past for some important purpose - but the strain of traveling back that many years into the past robbed her of everything but the most important parts of her memories: her family.
I second this idea! Great thinking.

RE: How would I RP time travel? - Seriphyn - 12-20-2013

(12-19-2013, 06:49 PM)Aysun Wrote: As cute as it would be to have her be your daughter in game due to some sort of time travel, it may be safer to just do a retcon and say they /DO/ have children! XD

This. I think people would be far more willing to accept a retcon than timetravelling.

Also, I think midlander women can be -very- short (nvm they already look young), so perfect for having a daughter character.

RE: How would I RP time travel? - LandStander - 12-20-2013

I would throw my hat into the ring and say recon the story, but there is really nothing wrong with the time traveling thing. I mean it has been shown in game that it is possible, but if you do go this route should basically give her fuzzy memory syndrome. Say that she does not remember anything from the future and yeah..basically everything that Tiergan said xD.

RE: How would I RP time travel? - C'kayah Polaali - 12-20-2013

I'm sure you'll get flak for a time travel backstory, but as far as I'm concerned (and I'm sure many others fall into my camp) just make it entertaining. Interesting RP covers up a lot of sins.

RE: How would I RP time travel? - Erik Mynhier - 12-20-2013

I just wanted to say I've been reading the replies to her and she is loving the attention and says hi. I also though you would all like to hear some of her ideas on how she and her sister would time travel, all of whom I have or am trying to talk her out of.

1. Bill and Ted's phone booth

2. A chocobo with a flux capacitor (she decided not to go with this one herself saying chocobos are not fast enough)

3. a TARDIS

4. Thor Magic

5. Moogle Time Mage

She is a.... unique child. Big Grin

RE: How would I RP time travel? - Tla - 12-20-2013

A Tardis. Clearly, who in posses of that would choose other means?Tongue
And the chocobo...tried with a coeurl? Much faster! But really, so much imagination, you have a treasure there ^^

RE: How would I RP time travel? - Seriphyn - 12-20-2013

Oh, how about it being a "longlost daughter" instead?

RE: How would I RP time travel? - pas - 12-20-2013

I'm in love with the flux capacitor idea hahaha.

At any rate, an option to consider if you're ever waffling about whether or not to utilise the time travel or not is adoption. A lot of characters on RPC have adoptive back stories, so it's just as likely for you and your wife's characters to be adoptive parents.

RE: How would I RP time travel? - Tiergan - 12-20-2013

I second adoption - it'd be an easy way for your characters to have a daughter without retconning or the issues that come with time-travel characters.

RE: How would I RP time travel? - pas - 12-21-2013

Additionally, any seemingly bizarre age difference can be explained away from the context of constant warring and the Calamity—low mortality rates & lots of orphans.

However, I bet your daughter would really appreciate if you went with her idea, and I wouldn't feel disinclined to roleplay with any of y'all because of it, but I ofc can't speak for everyone. 

In conclusion: maybe your characters ICly act like it was a standard adoption, but there's a secret kept about her ~true origins~. It could lead to some small humorous scenes, e.g. commentary that she's just like X parent in a physical way (e.g. eyes) and then an outsider character confusedly responds, "that's some coincidence, considering she's adopted!"

RE: How would I RP time travel? - Jomoru - 12-21-2013

As someone who's done this before you have afew issues that will come up.

1. Her past is your future. All of her backstory is story you haven't played out yet. You can get all Timey Whimey about it but its going to feel forced and might make things harder on your obviously young daughter.

2. People are going to want to know about the future. So even if its a different timeline etc Someone has to come up with details for the future as it unfolds so its alot of lore you'd have to make for yourself.

3.Playing out pregnancy and development. Assuming the timelines stay the same in some fashion eventually you have to move to her being concieved, born, potentially having child her be around her her, its abit complicated and puts alot on everyone's plate.

You may be better off coming up with some other justification, I know Eric is a highlander so a Midlander build could at least look like a young teen daughter if you work at it.