Hydaelyn Role-Players
FFXI Nostalgia Thread! - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Off-Topic (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: FFXI Nostalgia Thread! (/showthread.php?tid=5968)

FFXI Nostalgia Thread! - N'taeyl - 12-29-2013

Because everyones thinking it, or else I'm coming out as a masochist, but either way!

The more and more I play XIV the more I find myself missing XI in ways I never really thought I would.  When I quit, I was sick of the game.  But now I dunno if I'd mind picking it back up, if it wasn't trying to kill itself.  So for the sake of venting or praising, this thread can be about stories, screenshots, anything about your days on XI!

About how magical it was, and how equally evil it was.

What I miss the most right now, are the Airship rides and boat rides.  WHAT is the point of having instant Airship rides in XIV and teleports, when it's literally a factor of 5-10 minutes vs 50-400 gil?  Give me scenery to enjoy!  Or in our case, another RP element!  In XI you could see actual landmarks passing by under the ship, you knew how far or how close you were.  Same with the boat rides.  I'd love to have that option back.
Along with missing the rides by an inch...every time.

I miss the traveling.  Even if it was time consuming, in light of instant gratification nowadays and 'casual gaming' (No offense intended), it has made me miss the immersion such travel offered.  And the world we had to travel in was great!  It was big, interesting and beautiful areas.  Nothing has compared to that first time trekking across La Theine Plateau, and discovering the enormous rampaging ram coming after my blood as I desperately ran for San d'Oria.  

And speaking of bloody thirsty monsters, I kinda miss actually worrying I may die if I charge through a pack of aggressive mobs.  XIV, they have their own little bubble, will almost never catch you, and very low risk of dying.  In XI, they either killed you or chased you till you zoned, or ran halfway across the map.  The thrill of terror running through the Past for the first time!

To start off the story telling, a favorite incident of mine:
Fresh fighters, my friends and I were.  Joining Campaign in Rolanberry Fields.  Waiting for the Quadav wave to arrive, we idled.  And somewhere along the way, we had learned that spamming Job Abilities helped increase your reward total, so my Monk friend was doing such.  Focus, Chakra, Boost.  And Provoke.  But, there's no mobs around so Provoke won't do anything, right?

Him: WHAT, IT HIT SOMETHING!?  Oh just a fairy-*fairysmack*-WHAT THE F-*punch*-HELP MEEEEE-*dead*
Me: AhahahaaaAAAAA IT'S COMING AFTER ME NOW!

Damn thing chased me around the entire fortress and started going after other party members!  I nearly got killed I was laughing so hard.  Was great.

So unless I'm the only one feeling the need to reminisce, pitch in on your funny/awesome/horrible stories too!