Hydaelyn Role-Players
Addition to the Event Threads - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Off-Topic (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: Addition to the Event Threads (/showthread.php?tid=5983)

Addition to the Event Threads - Ninian Lune'ciel - 12-30-2013

Hello, Everyone. I'm hoping this is the best place to post for suggestions to the site, because I wanted to make one for the Balmung and Gilgamesh sections on the forum. For the sake of separating what I believe are two different types of roleplay, I wanted to propose we have two types of Event threads. One type would be for one-time events, the other for regularly scheduled events (click links for examples)

The idea is to be able to differentiate between these two types of roleplay and get a better idea of the common events that take place consistently. A major reason for my posting is in trying to encourage the later type of roleplay on Gilgamesh, especially after reading through some of the postings here. Would this be at all possible?

RE: Addition to the Event Threads - Ninian Lune'ciel - 01-26-2014

I don't like double posting, but a month later, this is still something I'd like to push for. Any possibility it can happen? Or any thoughts on the subject?

RE: Addition to the Event Threads - FreelanceWizard - 01-26-2014

*puts on Admin hat*

Could you give me a better idea of what you'd like to see to separate these events? For instance, do you envision two separate forums or some sort of tagging scheme? That'd give me a better idea of what would be needed if we were to go down this route.

Personally -- though I'm certainly willing to change my mind or be convinced otherwise -- I think the calendar already kind of handles this, though I am open to making threads for recurring events sticky so people can more easily find them in the events forums. Would that be sufficient?

Also, I'm moving this to "Off Topic" since it has to do with the site itself. Smile

RE: Addition to the Event Threads - Ninian Lune'ciel - 01-26-2014

Ah, thanks for the response. I was thinking it could be another category along with
X Events" and "X Directory", which I supposed makes it a separate forum, rather than a tag. The idea to differentiate between events that the community offers regularly (and to show how frequently they occur) vs. your one-times and seasonal sorts in a way a little more cleaner than what a sticky would offer. I was hoping it would give us a better idea to the happenings of each server for not only what's going on, but when and how often.

Thanks for moving this to the right place though. I wasn't too sure where to make my post a while back.

RE: Addition to the Event Threads - FreelanceWizard - 01-27-2014

I'll have to think on that. More forums introduces more complexity for users, and if both servers each only have two or three recurring events, a separate forum just for them seems a bit excessive, IMO. I'd rather just sticky them in that instance, since I think the bigger problem is that active events -- especially recurring ones -- can sometimes get lost in the sea of one-shot events.

Also, I have a bit of an ulterior motive in that I'd prefer people use the calendar instead of the event forum. Smile

I like to make decisions based on data, though. What I'd like to see is a count of the number of active recurring events for both servers. If it's a substantial number, then I think a separate forum makes sense.

RE: Addition to the Event Threads - Almil - 01-28-2014

I have to say that to make separate sub directory for those would be confusing, already so many forums. Maybe just add some sort of symbol or tag on the TOPIC before or after the event name?  Maybe just on the recurring events, like:  
[weekly] Tavern nights!

Also I'd hope all the event threads had like B or G on them. I sometimes click on the most recent replies/threads on the side and get all excited on the event, but then glance up to the 'path' and notice it's on wrong server, nya!
Would be easier to skip the ones on servers I don't use.

RE: Addition to the Event Threads - No Longer Exists - 01-28-2014

Players can (and often do) put the World name on their post subjects, etc.Some do not though and yeah, that's a tad confusing. However, it's user-error and not really something that needs to be addressed by an admin.

I think it's a good thing to look at what both world's communities are up to, share ideas together and give advice to each other on how to make both communities better individually. That's the point of the coalition in the first place, after all; at least how I see it. Sure, it sucks getting excited about something that's happening on Balmung when you play on Gilgamesh or vice versa, but that means anyone could say "Hey, this was a really sweet idea and I'd like to try it here, who is with me?!".

Cheers!

-Black Hat