Hydaelyn Role-Players
Lore Question - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Lore Question (/showthread.php?tid=6005)

Pages: 1 2

Lore Question - Bentii - 01-01-2014

Hey all! I just wanted to know who I could possibly go to, in a private chat, about a lore question I have?  I was recently told to leave the server cause I was lore bending... and I happen to KNOW that I am not, but I would like confirmation about this by someone who considers themselves pretty well read in the lore.  I would actually like several people's opinion if I could... so if someone could message me that would be great! Thank you!

RE: Lore Question - Fenris - 01-01-2014

(01-01-2014, 06:46 PM)Bentii Wrote: Hey all! I just wanted to know who I could possibly go to, in a private chat, about a lore question I have?  I was recently told to leave the server cause I was lore bending... and I happen to KNOW that I am not, but I would like confirmation about this by someone who considers themselves pretty well read in the lore.  I would actually like several people's opinion if I could... so if someone could message me that would be great! Thank you!
You want opinions of several people, but still keep it private? 
What could possibly be too... well too anything to have it in an open forum, you know, like asking the question here?

RE: Lore Question - FreelanceWizard - 01-01-2014

Wow. Being told to leave a server over a matter of lore is the height of jerk behavior. A good RPer will discuss and educate, not tell people to get lost. I'm sorry you had that experience. Sad

To your question, without knowing the topic, it's hard to suggest a particular person who might be able to answer the question; there's a lot of people knowledgeable about lore here, but many have particular specialties (Merri, for instance, is a great source of Garlean lore, and Sounsyy has considerable main scenario and job quest knowledge). Might I suggest that you post your question here? Chances are, if there's a disagreement or confusion about it, many people are probably wondering the same thing, and having the discussion publicly might help many others.

RE: Lore Question - Bentii - 01-01-2014

You know... I am mostly afraid of asking here cause the way I was shot down and told that I would be better of in another server...  I honestly felt a little pushed out, and was also told that the entire community would shun me for what I am trying to do... And honestly I feel a little put off about it...

I know the answer to this question, I just feel like I need to ask the opinon of everyone else because I don't feel like being shunned by my fellow roleplayers over something that isn't even a big deal... honestly it's not...

So if I could have someone willing to talk to me in private, so I can just ask without being worried about others shunning me because of this small detail in my characters bio...

I am a heavy RPer, so I read and researched the lore carefully... the question I have is not lore bending, goddmodding, or any other type of fault... it's an unimportant detail that I was told I had to leave the server for.

RE: Lore Question - FreelanceWizard - 01-01-2014

I'm no expert in all parts of lore (my specialty is miqo'te lore), but feel free to toss me a PM if you want to bounce ideas. Smile

RE: Lore Question - Ildur - 01-01-2014

Whomever told you to leave the server deserves to be smacked in the face and be called a twat.

Disclosing the detail that worries you would show how the RPC community reacts to it and, therefore, give you an idea of how many people will react badly to it.

RE: Lore Question - ansemaru - 01-02-2014

That person sounds like they were being a dick. Honestly, even if you have a misunderstanding of lore, the solution isn't to tell you to go away and give up! Rather, adapting one's ideas into something that does work with the lore so you can keep the heart of what appealed to you about the concept without the elements that run counter to the game's setting and possibly make it difficult to rp with you.
It'd be great if you could talk about it here, but I also understand if you're anxious after that experience. My inbox is always open for PMs, and if you'd rather talk in-game, you can /tell Aumeric Chassebel your woes, and I'll see that this question gets resolved without any shame or hurt feelings.

RE: Lore Question - Jomoru - 01-02-2014

There's a large number of people who think their personal fanon is lore. so its not surprising.

RE: Lore Question - John Spiegel - 01-02-2014

While I am a stickler for not lore bending, I have never downright ousted someone, if it was a big enough issue for me, I would point it out. Obvious abuse of the lore, robots, aliens, and all that stuff is pretty well beyond my tolerance and obviously straight up wrong.

That being said, Balmung is not -their- server and not everyone RPs exactly the same. There's militaristic groups, charity groups, light-hearted groups, somewhat lore-bending groups beyond my tolerance... but yeah NEVER think you should leave a server just because someone told you to.

That's my two gil.

RE: Lore Question - Fates Skein - 01-02-2014

I also echo that whomever told you to leave the server was being a twit.

That kind of attitude is far, far poorer form than -any- lore bending or outright lore breaking.

We're all here creating together and in a game where official lore has a large, LARGE number of holes as well as a fair number of contradictions between in-game and out-of-game statements, I can't believe that someone would be that...militant.  Well, actually I can, cause some people are twits, but yeah.

I'm no lore expert at all so I won't put myself forward as that, but I will say that I'd be happy to RP with you. Smile

RE: Lore Question - Bentii - 01-02-2014

I want to say thank you to everyone here that has posted so far, and also to the people that have been helping me.  My suspicion has been confirmed and I now know, from what I have been messaged, that everyone agrees that it is NOT lore bending.  Though everyone has also told me that it is not common, nor accepted by elitist pricks as the person I spoke to.

This person told me he spoke for all of the Balmung server and fact is, everyone who has posted is from the Balmung server... and you all seem so very different than what he made you out to be... So now I find myself compelled to ask the question here on the thread.

So my question is this:
Is it possible to dimension hop in FF?  From what I understand all the Final Fantasy games are connected in some way, either being apart of parallel universes or other worlds/dimensions.

My character comes from another world (Game) and I loved her back story so much I could not force myself to erase it all and ruin the memories and development she went through to get where she was today.  So all I did was when she was being chased down by people that were trying to kill her she used a fail safe, that was supposed to teleport her to a safer place.  Unfortunately something went wrong and she ended up here in Eorzea, her subconsciousness taking over the body of a Female, Keeper of the Moon, Miqo'te that was a parallel version of herself.

She appeared before another Miqo'te who took her in and is now teaching her the way of life that a Keeper of the Moon lives.  There is no way, ICly that anyone would know about her being from another world, unless through intense RP and a lot of trust on her part.

This gives her no strength, power, or special abilities.  It is just as if she moved from one town to the next... it has no effect on the world or her acquaintances.  This is just a piece of her history.

Now I shall ask again, with this completely out there.  Does this deserve for me to be kicked off the server? Or be told that I was going to be shunned?  Even ignored?

RE: Lore Question - Evie - 01-02-2014

Considering the server just had a HUGE event with Lightning dimension hoping, which will be returning in Febuary if I'm not mistaken. To me that would imply that it is in fact completely possible to infact dimension hop. How one would go about doing so I have no idea (this is my first FF game so just learning all this stuff as it is).

So I'd say yes Dimension hoping is reasonable, I would just be careful about the HOW of how your character got here so it doesn't seem like she is too overly powerful. But since it was some kind of magical accident, I don't see that as being a problem.

Your idea is pretty interesting and I don't fault you for wanting to keep your character from a previous game and bringing her into this one. I also tend to be attached to my RP characters and Evie (my character) is a "incarnation" of another Evie from another game.

So in conclusion, no you do not deserved to be shunned or ignored etc etc. And I agree with the other posters who've already said that this person seems to just be a giant dick.

RE: Lore Question - Bentii - 01-02-2014

She had no intent in coming to Eorzea, her fail safe was a scroll that was created with the purpose of Teleporting the user to a safe place.  Being as she didn't make it and she got it from a questionable figure in the first place, it wasn't even her who dimensioned hopped herself.  She infact had no part in it, nor does she even come even SLIGHTLY closed to being able to produce a FRACTION of the power it would take to do so.

So yea my character is not doing anything wrong, and is NOT overpowered what so ever.

RE: Lore Question - MimettGreens - 01-02-2014

Yes, there was an event where Lightning was popping up all over the place, so I'd say it's possible to dimension hop. You said it doesn't give your character any ungodly powers and such, so I honestly don't see why this person gave you such a hard time. And even if she did have abilities beyond the norm, how you choose to play a character is up to you. People can give pointers, advice and tips, but telling you to get off a server or to scrap a character isn't their call. I'm sure there are going to be times where people hate my character, but sadly it's something you always get in RP.

I've only just started RP'ing on this server myself, coming from WoW, and I think in NO WAY does that mean you should be 'kicked off the server'. I actually think your character sounds interesting, and whoever this person was, they were clearly being Elitist. I would honestly pay them no attention, because they definitely don't speak for the whole server. 

Really, don't worry at all about it, if anything, blacklist the player so then they can't harass you over it. And then come and hang out with all of us! :3

RE: Lore Question - C'kayah Polaali - 01-02-2014

I just want to add that someone saying they speak for the whole server should be a gigantic red flag for you - not that you're doing something wrong, but that the person you're talking to isn't worth talking to.

I'll also add that my own personal view of lore-bending, which I think isn't uncommon, is that entertaining trumps everything else. Be a good RPer and you won't lack for people who want to RP with you, no matter what the story you're RPing is.