Hydaelyn Role-Players
Thoughts on non RP names on RP server? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Thoughts on non RP names on RP server? (/showthread.php?tid=6035)

Pages: 1 2 3

Thoughts on non RP names on RP server? - MimettGreens - 01-03-2014

I've had a search and found a few topics similar, but this is more a personal question, so I thought I would ask here.

I have a main on Ragnarok that I am seriously thinking of transferring over to Balmung (to be honest, the welcoming people on here have convinced me hehe), but I am a tad concerned his name might cause me a few problems, being that it is Garrus Calinth.

Now when I first made him, it was my little cousin who made the name up after saying how much she liked the space kitty in Mass Effect (I am inclined to agree, he's adorable). As such, I am loathe to change it, should the option ever come up, as I am quite fond of it and the fact that she made the name up.

My question is, will the name Garrus and the fact that it is from another game, cause me problems RP wise? It didn't matter so much on Ragnarok as virtually no one RP's there, but I'd like to bring him over here and keep the name, but I'm a little concerned people might scoff at me over it and it might earn me a rep on the server as being someone to avoid when it comes to RP?

Not sure if that makes sense, but I know a lot of people are quite insistent that lore abiding names should be used, that I worry I'd have wasted my time transferring. One of my other reasons for transferring is that Ragnarok is a very silent server in terms of people talking. I've barely spoken to anyone online, in parties or say, even my FC is silent, so I'm hoping to come to a more lively server with like minded people.

I can spin his name off by his back story, because I'd always had him as being found as a baby and raised by Hyur, so a story isn't the issue, it's more what others might think and how badly people feel with other franchise names being used, so if anyone had any feedback I'd appreciate it. Smile

Sorry if this is silly >_< I'm a bit of a worrier.

RE: Thoughts on non RP names on RP server? - Whittledown - 01-03-2014

I don't see any problem with the name Garrus Calinth in FFXIV.  If it were actually Garrus Vakarian that would be an issue but with a different last name I don't have any problem with it.

I would feel the same if I saw a Liara Calinth or an Ashley or Kaidan Calinth.  Gar and rus are two reasonable syllables to put together to form a name so I say go with it.

RE: Thoughts on non RP names on RP server? - Sophia_Grave - 01-03-2014

Name your character xxxCloudxxx xxxStrifexxx.

Do it

RE: Thoughts on non RP names on RP server? - Ildur - 01-03-2014

I don't think Garrus is memetic enough to warrant avoiding his name the same way you would probably want to avoid names from Dragonball, for example. "Garrus" sounds fantasy-ish enough, though you might want to be ready to see some eyebrows raising when you enter a room. That's the worst thing you'll get from reasonable individuals.

RE: Thoughts on non RP names on RP server? - Evie - 01-03-2014

There are plenty of people who RP and don't exactly follow the "naming conventions" of the classes. If anyone gives you problems you could just RPly say that it's a name that's been passed down through your family for generations, you were adopted hence the weird name, or something that fits with your story. Most RPers would just go with it.

You'll probably going to have people who recognize the name. My main's name is Evelyn and the number of times someone has said "Oh you must be a fan of League of Legends" is too many to count anymore. I have never even played that game or knew there was a character in the game with the name, but people still recognize it from something that they know.

Again it shouldn't be anything to worry about with RP, but it could be a good conversation starter. Smile

RE: Thoughts on non RP names on RP server? - MimettGreens - 01-03-2014

(01-03-2014, 04:54 PM)Apl_J Wrote: Name your character xxxCloudxxx xxxStrifexxx.

Do it

Only if you make my arch nemesis, xxSephihirothe1xxx

Thanks for the replies guys. I mean, I know it might get a few people going 'wtf' and that's understandable, I'm more concerned I might get people out right shunning me for it or something. I had someone moan at me last night that my character's name is 'too long' xD

RE: Thoughts on non RP names on RP server? - LandStander - 01-03-2014

Yes, there are lots of people who do not follow the naming conventions so you are fine ^^. No need to worry about it.

RE: Thoughts on non RP names on RP server? - FreelanceWizard - 01-03-2014

Just to echo everyone else, it'll be fine, especially since you have a justification in your backstory for it. In fact, it can also be an icebreaker in RP; when you introduce yourself, the very fact that the name is different can strike up conversation ("That's an interesting name -- where did you say you were from, again?").

RE: Thoughts on non RP names on RP server? - ansemaru - 01-03-2014

"Too long"? Really? There's a character limit on names, and your character has a fairly normal Elezen name. What was that person's problem?

RE: Thoughts on non RP names on RP server? - Edgar - 01-03-2014

Quote:You'll probably going to have people who recognize the name. My main's name is Evelyn and the number of times someone has said "Oh you must be a fan of League of Legends" is too many to count anymore. I have never even played that game or knew there was a character in the game with the name, but people still recognize it from something that they know.

Do you know how many people have asked if my main's name was inspired by Edgar Roni Figaro of FFVI fame?

Well, they're right about the first name, anyways. The name Edgar is a nod to the Power Tool-wielding maniac.

The rest of the name, however, was entirely made up on the spot. Von Gandervalt, or "Of Gandervalt" isn't an allusion to anything; I just thought it sounded nice.

I've been told the name sounds Garlean, which works for me, because ICly, the name is an alias.

RE: Thoughts on non RP names on RP server? - Faye - 01-03-2014

To be honest, I didn't even know "Garrus" was a name from another game. I've never played Mass Effect. But if your character has a different last name, I don't really see the problem. Plenty of role-players don't bother to follow the naming conventions, for legitimate IC reasons or not, and I'm sure there are, for example, a million characters in various books, TV shows, and games named "Faye." That being said, even if you want to name your character Cloud Strife, while it is reeeally lame, if people are going to act like twats toward you about it, that's on them on not on you, so I wouldn't worry about it! It's your character; call him whatever you please and tell anyone who complains about it to kindly take a hike. Smile

RE: Thoughts on non RP names on RP server? - Salty Lake - 01-03-2014

Let me join the others saying that name sounds fine to me! I've even seen names that are references to other fandoms but I'm cool with any name as long as it isn't Tifa Strife or whatever.

I had a few people make slightly negative remarks about my name right after launch along the lines of "Salty Lake doesn't sound like an RP name," but I think that was because they didn't realize what roe naming conventions were yet. I haven't had any comments like that in months.

RE: Thoughts on non RP names on RP server? - 4wheel - 01-03-2014

We got a RP'er named Booker Dewitt on Gilga, you'll be fine!

RE: Thoughts on non RP names on RP server? - MimettGreens - 01-03-2014

Thank you for the replies everyone, I do appreciate the input into this. I do generally tend to worry a lot, more so since I am not fully up on lore in this game yet, just on naming conventions. As I say, I have the back story, but I was paranoid that people would see the name think 'Oh god, another idiot' and back right off, were I to RP. I'm glad though that you guys think otherwise! :3

RE: Thoughts on non RP names on RP server? - Tiergan - 01-03-2014

As a HUGE nerd for Mass Effect with Garrus Vakarian as my favorite character - I didn't even really register what the problem with your name was until you pointed out you got the name from Mass Effect.

If you'd named yourself Garrus Vakarian or claimed that your character was actually Garrus Vakarian transported into an Elezen body through wibbly-wobbly space magic, THEN I think people would be worried.

The name Garrus Calinth itself though, is perfectly fine to me.