Hydaelyn Role-Players
Thoughts on non RP names on RP server? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Thoughts on non RP names on RP server? (/showthread.php?tid=6035)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: Thoughts on non RP names on RP server? - Gharen - 01-03-2014

(01-03-2014, 04:45 PM)Whittledown Wrote: I don't see any problem with the name Garrus Calinth in FFXIV.  If it were actually Garrus Vakarian that would be an issue but with a different last name I don't have any problem with it.

I would feel the same if I saw a Liara Calinth or an Ashley or Kaidan Calinth.  Gar and rus are two reasonable syllables to put together to form a name so I say go with it.

This. ^^

RE: Thoughts on non RP names on RP server? - Tla - 01-03-2014

(01-03-2014, 04:54 PM)Apl_J Wrote: Name your character xxxCloudxxx xxxStrifexxx.

Do it
I know you're joking, but just today I ended up in a run with a Cloud Strife named tank <.< And that Darth Vader who made me laugh so much I sure wouldn't take seriously in RP.

But in this case I see not much bad, after all we have already a W'rex, might make good company Tongue

RE: Thoughts on non RP names on RP server? - Edgar - 01-03-2014

I met a Lala named Farquaad.

RE: Thoughts on non RP names on RP server? - Asgarn - 01-03-2014

As has been said many times before, quit your worrying! Smile
It's highly likely that nobody will even notice, plus if somebody did, it's very rare that someone would actually care. I mean, you could likely make a Pugilist by the name of Tifa Lockhart and nobody would give a damn. (Tifa is a common name in all Final Fantasy universes, Lockhart sounds rather common as well)

And for the sake of scoffing:

SCOFF SCOFF SCOFF SCOFF SCOFF SCOFF SCOFF SCOFF.

RE: Thoughts on non RP names on RP server? - A'byss Shadow - 01-03-2014

I personally don't feel like its a problem! However if you REALLY do need change it like, RIGHT NOW then you could do what I did. Before changing over create a character on Balmung with the exact same name, then it will require a name change and then you could get it that way. Otherwise I don't see it as a problem and if you would rather keep it then I don't think anyone will give you any lip.

RE: Thoughts on non RP names on RP server? - John Spiegel - 01-03-2014

Naming conventions are fun, that being said my main dude, John Spiegel is a highlander. Neither John nor Spiegel are highlander names nor are his birth names (Jnsyn Silversheath is). As a highlander, he has adopted brutal battle names, but goes by John Spiegel for two reasons:

1. JJ is a spiritual successor to my XI hume of epicness
2. There's an IC reason he has a non-highlander name that I have yet to write up so only I know why. "It's just a name" JJ says, not taking much stalk in heritages and titles and all that hubub.

Truth be told, having an odd-named person of a particular race is interesting if you make it a point to establish -why- rather than "lol. I just liked this name for the character", it can lead to interesting RP from other folks questioning your non-typical name for your clan and all that.

RE: Thoughts on non RP names on RP server? - ArmachiA - 01-03-2014

I have a character named Loki and, so far, no one has given a crap.

RE: Thoughts on non RP names on RP server? - Rickter - 01-03-2014

(01-03-2014, 04:39 PM)MimettGreens Wrote: Legitimate Concern

If the OP is still bothered by this - i have a possible fix.

Create a character on Balmung with the exact same name as the character you would like to transfer.

Transfer the character you wish to transfer.

You will then be prompted to change your name as a  character on Balmung already possesses that same name (your alt).

then delete your alt.

I have not tested this method out just yet, but i read the guidelines to character transfer carefully and i believe this will work.

I hope this helps my man, hope to see you all on Balmung soon.

RE: Thoughts on non RP names on RP server? - Ares D'Argent - 01-04-2014

@OP there is nothing wrong with your name, half of the time people won't even know if it's from somewhere anyway.  I know I didn't recognize it.  Either way I too have a name that might or may not be well known but from the RP nobody hassled me about it.  Sometimes they would call me Abysswalker (reference to Artorias from Dark Souls) or Baron Rivendare (reference to a character from WoW), but it's all just OOC jokes. Tongue

RE: Thoughts on non RP names on RP server? - LiadansWhisper - 01-04-2014

I'm just gonna leave this here...

[Image: 11758518593_0cdf1d111d_o.png]

RE: Thoughts on non RP names on RP server? - Whittledown - 01-04-2014

(01-04-2014, 03:31 PM)LiadansWhisper Wrote: I'm just gonna leave this here...

[Image: 11758518593_0cdf1d111d_o.png]

Dolan references are not appropriate on this, or any forum.

RE: Thoughts on non RP names on RP server? - LiadansWhisper - 01-04-2014

(01-04-2014, 03:35 PM)Whittledown Wrote: Dolan references are not appropriate on this, or any forum.

I wish I had any idea what that is.  Big Grin

RE: Thoughts on non RP names on RP server? - MimettGreens - 01-04-2014

That screenie xD

Thank you for all the feedback everyone, I really appreciate it and it's made me feel a lot more at east in regards to his name Big Grin

RE: Thoughts on non RP names on RP server? - Kismet - 01-04-2014

(01-04-2014, 04:01 PM)LiadansWhisper Wrote:
(01-04-2014, 03:35 PM)Whittledown Wrote: Dolan references are not appropriate on this, or any forum.

I wish I had any idea what that is.  Big Grin

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/dolan XD

RE: Thoughts on non RP names on RP server? - ArmachiA - 01-04-2014

pffft ain't nothing wrong with a Solid "Gooby pls"