Hydaelyn Role-Players
The difference between... - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: The difference between... (/showthread.php?tid=608)

The difference between... - Xzenivar - 09-08-2010

A gladiator with a shield, and one without.

In the description of gladiator, it notes that some take up a shield to better protect others, while some focus entirely on their sword arm. Has anyone noticed a difference between one and the other yet? I haven't been able to get a shield yet to see.

Re: The difference between... - Aveline - 09-08-2010

When I level up shield I get ranks in Sentinel. Beyond that, I think we haven't reached a decent level or found the right equipment to see what the difference would be.

Re: The difference between... - Asyria - 09-08-2010

You get ranks in Sentinel? What's a Sentinel?

Re: The difference between... - Tadir - 09-08-2010

Maybehaps a hidden class? Perhaps if we gain levels with a gun we will get musketeer levels. There is nothing to say these classes aren't in the game yet. Maybe they just aren't available at character creation and haven't been announced. Have you checked your status screen to make sure you AREN'T a Sentinel?

Re: The difference between... - Vond - 09-09-2010

I'm using a shield, but I only have rank 8 glad. However, equipping a shield places "Block" on my bar which gives me the ability to raise my shield arm for a temporary time. My typical 1-on-1 fight goes Block, Light Slash, Phalanx, Phalanx, then Block again when my arm drops. Phalanx produces extra monster hate and you can only use it after a block, so it's not an ability a non-shield-user would want. So, not a very high rank yet but there is already that difference.

Re: The difference between... - Asyria - 09-09-2010

So Block is an active command?
Interesting.. Thought it would be a passive chance to block attacks.

Re: The difference between... - Vond - 09-09-2010

Yes, using the Block command raises your shield. After a bit of time passes it drops and you need to spend a command turn re-activating it. From what I've seen (crappy shield and easy mobs), it does provide a fair bit of damage mitigation and feels alright as an active command--I just think that server lag currently prevents getting a good feel for how many other actions you can take in one Block duration.

Edit: As for "sentinel," I think it's just the name they're using to track shield levels right now. Shield does level, it just doesn't give its own class the way your sword does. As of now I am only level 2 shield so I do not know whether further levels will give shield commands, or whether these commands are accessible or useful to the DoMs which can technically use shields.

Re: The difference between... - Xzenivar - 09-16-2010

I've been reading FFXIV Core forums and found that people have found the difference between using a shield and going without. Its been stated over there that while it doesn't show up in the character sheet, a gladiator who does not use a shield, will do more damage per attack (some have claimed this is proven) they also achieve higher dps due to not using as much stamina having the shield equipped.

Now, I don't have a shield myself, and won't be playing much til launch, but I really do hope this is the case.