Hydaelyn Role-Players
Paladins! - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Paladins! (/showthread.php?tid=6110)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

RE: Paladins! - TheLastCandle - 02-01-2014

(02-01-2014, 12:11 PM)Aldotsk Wrote: Patriotic tradition has limits in my honest opinion. No matter how much Sultansworn may be good or lawful they may be, in the end they have to agree and cooperate with Monetarists if they HAVE to even if it means of going with corrupted power. In Ul'dah politics, there are Royalists and Monetarists of course and Royalists are those who follow the ideals of Nanamo even if it may be new rules applied to all Sultansworns and free paladins. 

Now, if the Monetarists are fully corrupting and abusing the system of Sultana and Sultansworn - wouldn't you think that those who are "Lawful/Chaotic Good" people would resign out like Solkzagyl and tell other new paladins to find their way instead of being chained down by corrupted bureaucrats? 

Aside from Limsa Lominsa and Gridania, I honestly think Ul'dah has a very complicated political system, yet a lot of corrupted political power inside. Tradition or not, if something goes rotten - you throw it away and find a new one.

It's likely, but not necessarily the case for all of them. An idealistic few might have notions of changing things for the better from within. Granted, such ideas would make them a number of enemies, but with the right allies - who knows? I'm a big fan of these types of stories. In many settings, you often hear about that kingdom or organization with a reputation for being a bastion of "good" and fairness for all but has seedy characters wreaking havoc for the social norm behind the scenes. Turning that on its head, with the "good" characters being the ones working against the system can be fun, too - albeit no less dangerous.

RE: Paladins! - Aldotsk - 02-01-2014

(02-01-2014, 12:31 PM)TheLastCandle Wrote:
(02-01-2014, 12:11 PM)Aldotsk Wrote: Patriotic tradition has limits in my honest opinion. No matter how much Sultansworn may be good or lawful they may be, in the end they have to agree and cooperate with Monetarists if they HAVE to even if it means of going with corrupted power. In Ul'dah politics, there are Royalists and Monetarists of course and Royalists are those who follow the ideals of Nanamo even if it may be new rules applied to all Sultansworns and free paladins. 

Now, if the Monetarists are fully corrupting and abusing the system of Sultana and Sultansworn - wouldn't you think that those who are "Lawful/Chaotic Good" people would resign out like Solkzagyl and tell other new paladins to find their way instead of being chained down by corrupted bureaucrats? 

Aside from Limsa Lominsa and Gridania, I honestly think Ul'dah has a very complicated political system, yet a lot of corrupted political power inside. Tradition or not, if something goes rotten - you throw it away and find a new one.

It's likely, but not necessarily the case for all of them. An idealistic few might have notions of changing things for the better from within. Granted, such ideas would make them a number of enemies, but with the right allies - who knows? I'm a big fan of these types of stories. In many settings, you often hear about that kingdom or organization with a reputation for being a bastion of law and order but has seedy characters wreaking havoc for the social norm behind the scenes. Turning that on its head can be fun, too - albeit no less dangerous.

Definitely, my character Anelia rejoined the leagues of Sultansworn being in charge of investigations and enforcement becoming the prosecutor of crime and punishment. Her new league "Phantom Sweep" will be the ones to try and bring back the former rightful Royalist idea to stop political corruption and clean out some Quicksand bandits if possible. Smile

This will definitely bring up some corrupted Sultansworns and free paladins who will rise up to this cause and can possibly have a war within the Sultana council.

RE: Paladins! - FreelanceWizard - 02-01-2014

(02-01-2014, 12:35 PM)Aldotsk Wrote: This will definitely bring up some corrupted Sultansworns and free paladins who will rise up to this cause and can possibly have a war within the Sultana council.

That would be some super-awesome conflict RP if you can get people to play both sides. Smile Sultansworn versus Sultansworn, factional battles of words and possibly steel in the streets... that'd be pretty nifty.

RE: Paladins! - Seriphyn - 02-05-2014

Speaking of tradition, interesting tidbit from The Unending Journey under "Keeping the Oath".

Quote:In recognition of your deeds, [Jenlyns] bestows upon you the gallant surcoat, sacred armor normally reserved for the most courageous of the Sultansworn. Although this is a violation of long-standing tradition, he believes there is no paladin more deserving of the honor.

This means that any character who wears the PLD AF1/2 set for RP must have done something very prestigious for the Sultansworn in-character (easy for them to come up with a reason). But it also opens up their character to being attacked by traditionalists, or perhaps direct their lamentations to Captain Jenlyns instead.

In fact, most Sultansworn wear the blue tabard set around Hustings Strip, which isn't available atm. The two royal guards right at the end of the Royal Promenade are adorned in it, which makes sense.

RE: Paladins! - Ildur - 02-05-2014

The tabard is actually white with a blue stripe covering the shoulders and the neck.
I find it very curious that Squee placed the Brass Blade uniform in Wanderer's Palace but forgot to put in game the uniforms of the other law enforcement organizations.

Today I checked the Board and bought a bunch of stuff to see if I could replicate the paladin common-wear. I'm sure nobody will be surprised that I failed miserably. The actual models are in game, but they can't match the Sultansworn armor thanks to having only one dye channel.
The closests options I found were the Cotton Tabard (undyeable black parts on the shoulders) and the Hempen Tabard (that has undyeable black sleeves). At least they are low level (16 and 5 respectively) so you can look kinda-sorta like a paladin early on if you want. The boots (Sollerets) are an even bigger problem because all of them dye weirdly, leaving the leather bits untouched in brown, whereas the ones the NPCs wear are blue. So we are all screwed on that part.
The gauntlets they use are in game and the correct parts are dyeable: Cobalt Vambraces. Just dye them blue and nobody will tell the difference.

All of this could be fixed if Squee had implemented two dye channels instead of one, or if they had made dungeon armor dyeable. The Hopilte/Explorer Tabard from AK and related dungeons could then be basically the same armor but with reversed colors (blue tabard and white stripe). It would not look exactly the same, but it would have the correct colors.

RE: Paladins! - Seriphyn - 02-06-2014

I was wondering about this myself, Ildur! I know at least one RPer who played a Brass Blade, using the Vermillion torso, feet, and legs pieces, with bronze mitts for an exact replication. The only difference was the turban (Velveteen or Sipahi); the NPC Brass Blade turban is blue on top, while Velveteen is a beige/white and Sipahi is black on top. The Brass Blade shield is also in-game as the Ancient Buckler, which is only usable by THM and BLM, weirdly.

I am myself wanting the Flame Lieutenant's Shirt set, which is a leathery purple shirt/sarouel set worn by Flame Lieutenant to Captain NPCs (and another variant for Flame Commander NPCs). I am thinking they might release this when they unlock the higher Grand Company ranks, but for now, I am keeping my character as a Chief Flame Sergeant largely because the Flame Lieutenant shirt set is unavailable, while the Sergeant and Private shirt sets are. It's a long shot, but I'm hoping they'll insert it in 2.2 as lvl55 GC gear, at least for vanity purposes (they have stated before in 2.1 live letters that even though they are releasing gear inferior to DL and AF2 in A Realm Awoken, they intended it to be used for the vanity system in 2.2)

Anyway, ramble over >_>

RE: Paladins! - Steel Wolf - 02-09-2014

Considering the coming Glamour system 2.2 will be bringing, that equipment list is stupendously helpful.  Thank YOU for that.

There's a set of armor my MRD wears that looks "standard" enough in my collection.  I was planning on using that for glamour, but since Steel is a Free Paladin, something more akin to what she'd wear illustrating her station makes sense.

RE: Paladins! - Seriphyn - 02-09-2014

Heh, seem to be running into a new Free Paladin character at the rate of once a day, from Steel posting here today to someone at the Grindstone last night. Just an observation rather than a judgement, but it appears to be a very attractive title to play as, to the point it seems the majority of sword-and-shield characters are playing Free Paladins.

When I first posted this thread, there were not as many, nor was I aware of the fact that wearing the Gallant armour outside of being an elite Sultansworn was considered a violation of tradition. With it becoming so common, it seems the armour may not be that valuable anymore on both the IC and OOC metalevel. IC at least, Kale will probably tease characters who wear it for the purposes of trying to lend weight to their presence.

That being said, there was at least one lvl50 Free Paladin character who did -not- wear the Gallant armour, which I suppose makes sense, since there is nothing to suggest that you need to wear it to play one.

RE: Paladins! - Nebbs - 02-09-2014

(02-09-2014, 01:17 PM)Seriphyn Wrote: Heh, seem to be running into a new Free Paladin character at the rate of once a day, from Steel posting here today to someone at the Grindstone last night. Just an observation rather than a judgement, but it appears to be a very attractive title to play as, to the point it seems the majority of sword-and-shield characters are playing Free Paladins.

When I first posted this thread, there were not as many, nor was I aware of the fact that wearing the Gallant armour outside of being an elite Sultansworn was considered a violation of tradition. With it becoming so common, it seems the armour may not be that valuable anymore on both the IC and OOC metalevel. IC at least, Kale will probably tease characters who wear it for the purposes of trying to lend weight to their presence.

That being said, there was at least one lvl50 Free Paladin character who did -not- wear the Gallant armour, which I suppose makes sense, since there is nothing to suggest that you need to wear it to play one.

Well mine is a Paladin of a god, and I am not wearing the Paladin gear AF1 or AF2. Instead I mix it up a little and suited up wise either a set of HQ plate or the CT drops.

RE: Paladins! - McBeefâ„¢ - 02-10-2014

My Sultansworn doesn't wear the AF2 armor except on serious business, and it seems the same for lots of others as well. In general I think it's better to not wear it, because then when people do see you in it, they know serious business is going down.

RE: Paladins! - C'kayah Polaali - 02-10-2014

Well, Nat's pointy enough as it is. Big Grin

RE: Paladins! - Kage - 02-10-2014

(02-10-2014, 01:59 PM)C Wrote: Well, Nat's pointy enough as it is. Big Grin
Any time I see Nat I get worried I did something wrong even though I never should be...

Unless Kage's teasing her about babbies I mean what.

On that note I've seen a mix of (who I think of but cannot confirm) around 30/70 AF/AF2 geared Paladins vs Free Paladins who seem to be RPing.

Having not delved into the lore (lvl 17 Gladiator), I imagine that Free Paladins are more similar to the wanderer helpful types that Paladins outside of FFXIV apparently seem to fall into vs Sultansworn who are pledged to either just the Sultan(a) and/or the Syndicate and are mainly concerned with just Ul'dah and its areas.

RE: Paladins! - Steel Wolf - 02-10-2014

I should perhaps clarify that Steel refers to herself as a "Free Paladin" mostly because it sounds more palatable than "sellsword" or "armed person who wanders the countryside looking for people who need a shield and a stabbing".

Unfortunately, I don't really have any kit that she can walk with that's more casual other than the mixed AF2/AF1/Darklight stuff she has to wear when in actual Paladin action.

In other words, Glamour system nao plox.

RE: Paladins! - Aldotsk - 02-10-2014

(02-10-2014, 03:06 PM)ExKage Wrote:
Any time I see Nat I get worried I did something wrong even though I never should be...

Am I the only one who is not worried when I see Nat? O_O

Anelia only wears her AF2 armor while she's doing her job. But she's been wearing lighter armor recently. (even though she can endure herself wearing that 24/7)

Believe me, AF1/AF2 gears are heavy.

RE: Paladins! - McBeefâ„¢ - 02-10-2014

(02-10-2014, 03:41 PM)Aldotsk Wrote:
(02-10-2014, 03:06 PM)ExKage Wrote:

Am I the only one who is not worried when I see Nat? O_O

You are the only one in Ul'dah without a guilty conscience apparently.