Hydaelyn Role-Players
Question Regarding the White Mage Robe - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Question Regarding the White Mage Robe (/showthread.php?tid=6191)

Pages: 1 2

Question Regarding the White Mage Robe - Tefh - 01-22-2014

So I just recently hit 50 on my character with the White Mage job, and oh. My. Goodness.  The Healer's Robe is adorable.  I wanna wear it ICly, but I don't know if I could.  My first assumption is that from a lore perspective I couldn't because the design of the robe is too symbolic/associated with that A-Towa-Cant fella.  What's more, I don't RP my character as a White Mage.  She's not even a proper conjurer, though she has been trying to learn to feel the elemental presences and has a rapidly growing respect for those who can commune with nature.

I figured I'd ask you all first, before I give in to ADORABLE ROBE and wear it anyway.  Is the robe unique to A-Towa-Cant?  Is it not at all plausible that a robe could have been crafted in a similar style for the sake of...I don't know, some tailor wanting to profit from any fandom surrounding A-Towa?  Maybe some kind of homage to the White Mage?  Or would it just be a straight up -bad call-?

P.S. I'm a daisy, please don't step on me.  I swear I'll listen if you're gentle and explain your reasoning being for or against the notion of wearing the robe.

RE: Question Regarding the White Mage Robe - Steel Wolf - 01-22-2014

I was genuinely not aware that the White Mage robe had such a specific tie to the lore! O_O

On point...I personally don't see a problem with your explanation. Especially if someone is trying to tie themselves closer to feeling an elemental presence, having a robe as a nod to such a respected name would help one with working towards and envisioning their goal, I'd think.

Seems plausible to me, really. :3

RE: Question Regarding the White Mage Robe - McBeefâ„¢ - 01-22-2014

In real life as well, people will often wear stuff they don't understand the significance of. For example asian shirts with engrish on them, or Americans with tattoos of random chinese characters.  

You could always just say that you saw someone in Gridania with a similar robe, and you liked it so much you had one made. It could even be a hook for your character eventually becoming a WHM, since anyone who knows that it is a WHM robe could possible explain the lore to you.

RE: Question Regarding the White Mage Robe - Tefh - 01-22-2014

Oh!  Heh.  Well, I have no intention of Tefh ever becoming a white mage.  The quest chain lead me to believe that only padjals can become white mages, there's only three, and in the quest the Adventurer is an exception only because A-Towa-Cant so directly and clearly reached out to your character.

But this robe is super cute oh my goodness.  Mostly I just don't wanna, like, put it on and give someone an aneurysm.

*edits to correct a typo*

RE: Question Regarding the White Mage Robe - LiadansWhisper - 01-22-2014

(01-22-2014, 02:33 PM)Tefh Wrote: Oh!  Heh.  Well, I have no intention of Tefh ever becoming a white mage.  The quest chain lead me to believe that only padjals can become white mages, there's only three, and in the quest the Adventurer is an exception only because A-Towa-Cant so directly and clearly reached out to your character.

There's more than three White Mages.  But yeah, the quest is pretty clear that you're the exception to the rule of, "Can only be a Padjal."  Which is a bummer, no lie.

Quote:But this robe is super cute oh my goodness.  Mostly I just don't wanna, like, put it on and give someone an aneurysm.

The AF+1 robe is even prettier.  xD

Someone might have an aneurysm, yes.  But, let's be real: Someone might have an aneurysm because your Miqo has dark skin.  Someone might have an aneurysm because you have a particular eye color.  Or because you aren't RPing a Conjurer.  Or because you exist.  Someone is always going to have an issue with something, so you should just do what you want and to hell with the aneurysms.

In my opinion, anyway.

(01-22-2014, 02:45 PM)LiadansWhisper Wrote:
(01-22-2014, 02:33 PM)Tefh Wrote: Oh!  Heh.  Well, I have no intention of Tefh ever becoming a white mage.  The quest chain lead me to believe that only padjals can become white mages, there's only three, and in the quest the Adventurer is an exception only because A-Towa-Cant so directly and clearly reached out to your character.

There's more than three White Mages.  But yeah, the quest is pretty clear that you're the exception to the rule of, "Can only be a Padjal."  Which is a bummer, no lie.

Quote:But this robe is super cute oh my goodness.  Mostly I just don't wanna, like, put it on and give someone an aneurysm.

The AF+1 robe is even prettier.  xD

Someone might have an aneurysm, yes.  But, let's be real: Someone might have an aneurysm because your Miqo has dark skin.  Someone might have an aneurysm because you have a particular eye color.  Or because you aren't RPing a Conjurer.  Or because you exist.  Someone is always going to have an issue with something, so you should just do what you want and to hell with the aneurysms.

In my opinion, anyway.

Aaawh- but I don't wanna upset anyone.  Or, rather, I'd like to upset as few people as possible. D:  Hence me asking here instead of screaming "FOR FASHION AND GLORY" and running around in the robe.

RE: Question Regarding the White Mage Robe - Roen - 01-22-2014

I have a character who's a paladin, but her main CLASS is a WHM.  So I SOOO know the temptation to wear that cute robe!  But I put it away whenever I am RPing.

But as a player who for herself decided I wasn't going to have my character wear it, I don't mind ONE BIT if another character does, for whatever reason!  It could just be that she saw the robe on someone else and had made one like it.  Or some entrepreneur Ul'dah weaver decided to sell some replicas of the famous robe only once seen in Gridania and sell it to a select clients?  Who knows?

I think it's fine to wear it, personally.

(01-22-2014, 03:17 PM)Tefh Wrote: Aaawh- but I don't wanna upset anyone.  Or, rather, I'd like to upset as few people as possible. D:  Hence me asking here instead of screaming "FOR FASHION AND GLORY" and running around in the robe.

Man, if someone gets butthurt over you wearing a pretty dress, they deserve the butthurt.  :-\

Thanks all for the input so far!  I'm actually surprised by the receptiveness. o: I'll give it some time to see who else might speak up in here before I go for it.

RE: Question Regarding the White Mage Robe - Maqali Qulaan - 01-22-2014

I say go for it, too. Heck, S'janna wove one (at least in appearance, though certainly not in magic!) as a blanket for her baby. Because nothing says adorable like a baby Miqo'te in a white mage-themed blanket!

Ultimately, it's a purely visual thing as mentioned, so no one can really justify getting upset over you wearing it. As for the WHM as a job/class, that's a whole other thing that's been discussed... pretty extensively, I think. Tongue

RE: Question Regarding the White Mage Robe - Steel Wolf - 01-22-2014

I have nothing further to add, other than "For fashion and GLORY!" is probably the most magnificent battle cry I've ever laid ears on.  :3

RE: Question Regarding the White Mage Robe - Lost River - 01-22-2014

As with me and this whole lore thing. I think how it goes with the character story being the "first", not your character, but others have become the First in a while, meaning guess what, yup, you can be it too! There we go, lore bending instead of breaking, cause it makes no sense to be the first of everything if we all have the same quests!

And yes, the robe is adorable. Super adorable. But I prefer the trench coat of the BLM.

Don't forget that there doesn't appear to be any one "White Mage Uniform" type thing.  All of the White Mages wear slightly different outfits, although the theme is always white and red.

RE: Question Regarding the White Mage Robe - Tiergan - 01-22-2014

(01-22-2014, 03:48 PM)Steel Wolf Wrote: I have nothing further to add, other than "For fashion and GLORY!" is probably the most magnificent battle cry I've ever laid ears on.  :3

This.

I am okay with people wearing whatever they want FOR FASHION AND GLORY. What's the point of being an RPer if we can't even look STYLISH AND BADASS?!! Undecided

Also, vanity slots are coming soon. AWww yis.

'For fashion and glory' has been my battlecry ever since I started to play games where I could dress my character, lmao.  It's like.  My purpose in a game.  The reason I level anything at all.  FOR FASHION AND GLORY!~

I'm glad y'all like it Big Grin