Hydaelyn Role-Players
Translated Game Watch Interview. - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV News (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: Translated Game Watch Interview. (/showthread.php?tid=6416)

Translated Game Watch Interview. - allgivenover - 02-20-2014

Courtesy of reddit
http://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/1yf929/220_game_watch_interview_with_yoship_features_of/

Notable excerpt:

Quote:Regarding future of PS3 version:
Do you plan to continue to support the PS3 version even after the PS4 version is released?
Y: At this moment, we've already begun work on the expansion pack, and I can tell you that at the very least the PS3 version will be supported up to that point.

Does that mean there's a possibility that PS3 users will no longer be able to continue playing beyond that expansion?
Y: It may be a possibility in the future.

How far off in the future are we talking about here?
Y: That will depend on how long people continue to play on the PS3. I've mentioned in the presentation this morning that I want to make sure that "FFXIV continues to innovate", and there's certainly the possibility that whatever innovation we seek will come with certain technical requirements. For example in EQN, which I mentioned earlier, it would not be possible to realize certain things like physic-based gameplay without meeting the hardware prerequisites. So if this becomes something that players want and we start to see people leave for rival products, then we can't just sit around twiddling our thumbs either. After all, we too need to ensure we have the necessary weapons to take on other MMORPGs in the future.

For example, if we were to have a large-scale FATE where players can ride on a flying mount and freely fly around and swoop down at a dragon that is 200 meters long, players would probably be impressed and entertained. However, it would also require us to raise the minimum requirement when it comes to hardware specs.
Our aim has always been to develop the game so that players can have the same experience no matter which hardware they play on. However, if we were to become too fixated on this and become unable to innovate, then this will cease to be a FF game. So I do not plan to say that we will support the PS3 version forever. At the same time, I'm not saying that we'll be ending support by next year or anything like that either, so don't worry.
straight up translation end here. so much work lol

PS3 version will be supported until at least 3.0

RE: Translated Game Watch Interview. - Lost River - 02-20-2014

I'm excited for this and not at the same time; its a double edge sword, but to evolve you must grow. I'm glad I was capable of getting a PS4 (and not be price gouged) so I will be getting FFXIV for my PS4 so I can play PS4 in the living room too.

Buuuuut, for those who cannot afford and those who cannot -find- a PS4 at the moment, this is good/bad news. Because their PS3 copies will be covered up until the end of the first expansion apparently.

So, its time. Time to buy a new console (or stick to PC anyway. PC <3)

RE: Translated Game Watch Interview. - allgivenover - 02-20-2014

It's unfortunate for some PS3 players, but honestly. I purchased the PS3 version for novelty, the poor PS3 can barely run it as is. It can't support keyboard/mouse controls because so much system resource is under use just to run the game, the load-time is atrocious, the graphic quality abysmal compared to the PC version. really, I was concerned about the limitations of the PS3 holding the game back just as the PS2 held Final Fantasy XI back.

So glad they're reconsidering.

RE: Translated Game Watch Interview. - Edgar - 02-20-2014

I've never really seen MMOs as a genre made for consoles, anyways. When I think of a platform capable of connecting millions of people together over a server, I tend to imagine a PC rather than a PS3.

RE: Translated Game Watch Interview. - CalebAgron - 02-20-2014

(02-20-2014, 04:14 PM)Edgar Wrote: I've never really seen MMOs as a genre made for consoles, anyways. When I think of a platform capable of connecting millions of people together over a server, I tend to imagine a PC rather than a PS3.
This. I'm not surprised the PS3 version will be discontinued at a certain point. That IS the way of consoles, they come out with a new one every few years. With a PC so long as you upgrade PARTS you don't have to worry about this. Lesson of the day? By PC's not consoles lol.

RE: Translated Game Watch Interview. - Kage - 02-20-2014

2/21 Here
http://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/1yh2vs/221_game_watch_interview_with_yoship_part_2/

He even seems to get into some of what he thinks are the mechanics' strats for say Garuda Ex.

RE: Translated Game Watch Interview. - Lost River - 02-20-2014

Seeing as the architect for the PS4 is almost like a PC; almost fully identical to the point of calling it a PC with limited OS is appropriate.

BUUUUT, the good news, at least owners of the PS3 version get a free upgrade!

RE: Translated Game Watch Interview. - Erik Mynhier - 02-21-2014

I hate to say it, as it may hurt some of my friends, but this will save the game. As long as SE has to accommodate the PS3's architecture the game will never improve beyond where it is now.

RE: Translated Game Watch Interview. - TheLastCandle - 02-21-2014

(02-20-2014, 08:30 PM)Lost River Wrote: Seeing as the architect for the PS4 is almost like a PC; almost fully identical to the point of calling it a PC with limited OS is appropriate.

BUUUUT, the good news, at least owners of the PS3 version get a free upgrade!

I can't express how excited I am for the PS4 version, even though I play on PC: crafting/gathering on the Vita in bed. Mwahahaha.

RE: Translated Game Watch Interview. - Steel Wolf - 02-22-2014

All of my three-odd years of playing XI were exclusively spent on the PS2, so I can say that Squee knows how to build--and maintain--a console MMO like nobody else.  Then again, they didn't have another console coming out, either.

Still, I believe that they'll provide ample support for PS3 users.  The fact that they'll be able to upgrade to the PS4 version of the game for free speaks directly to that point.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to daydream about how one would tank while aboard a flying mount against a meters-long FATE....  :3

RE: Translated Game Watch Interview. - Kage - 02-22-2014

I am not surprised by the announcement. As far as I can tell, they don't plan for the expansion to come out for another... year or so. At which time I think it's been a small fair enough time to let the PS3 rest. I think the free upgrade is really nice (although I once had the notion of abusing this so I can get a copy of FF14:ARR for my PS4 while still playing on the PC... get a cheap copy -> ps4 is cheap??)

RE: Translated Game Watch Interview. - Edgar - 02-25-2014

Quote:Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to daydream about how one would tank while aboard a flying mount against a meters-long FATE....  :3

If the mount in question isn't a Wyvern or Black Chocobo I will be sorely disappointed.

RE: Translated Game Watch Interview. - Asgarn - 02-25-2014

Some very nice tidbits dug up in this interview. However, there was one bit (part of the interview that was quoted by allgivenover, nonetheless, that got my blood boiling):

Quote:So if this becomes something that players want and we start to see people leave for rival products, then we can't just sit around twiddling our thumbs either. After all, we too need to ensure we have the necessary weapons to take on other MMORPGs in the future.

This is nothing to do with what they intend to do, but rather the way they phrased it. They made the game sound like a weapon. Whilst I can see that the MMO market is rather cut throat and other MMOs employ these tactics... In my honest opinion, calling features "weapons" slams a great amount of dis-credibility on to Square Enix. This is something you would see Blizzard doing (no, I am not a fan of "Global domination is a must"-minded Blizzard, stealing entire player bases OR pompous arses).

That minor point aside, however, this interview was a nice one indeed.

RE: Translated Game Watch Interview. - allgivenover - 02-25-2014

A weapon can be used defensively too.

However I wouldn't take any phrasing present in an english translation as a window into core company philosophy, double so when the source language is Japanese. There is no real direct translation of Japanese into English that is really readable without some degree of localization.

Even so, the realm of pay to play MMOs is super cutthroat. After the boom that WoW created, everyone thought that there was this huge untapped market of people willing to pay a monthly fee to play games. But it turns out there is a finite number of people that are willing to do so, as a result the pay to play subscription model games do have to battle each other directly to stay relevant. It's not right or wrong, but if you want to keep playing ARR as a sub game hope that YoshiP and SE keeps their blades sharp and their eyes on the horizon.