Hydaelyn Role-Players
Showing yourself as OOC - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Showing yourself as OOC (/showthread.php?tid=6470)

Pages: 1 2

Showing yourself as OOC - Maril - 02-24-2014

How do you show to others, that you at the moment are OOC and thus not roleplaying? 
I'm personally not a full-time roleplayer - and so I am not IC all the time, I have much more time OOC where I do stuff like crafting and pve, often standing in places/cities my character wouldn't be in at that moment in time in their RP. 
It would never make sense for my character to do -everything- icly, so that's the way I have been managing things in all MMORPG's I've been in.
Recently however, I have been approached -a lot- by people icly even though I am OOC. I always personally assume that people who are 100% decked up in class/craft gear and are standing in areas that aren't obvious RP hubs as being OOC. Especially if someone is standing near the market boards, I'd never assume them to be IC unless I saw them walking and talking. 
And it's getting to me a bit because I don't want to have my character icly associated with being places she hasn't been, just because someone else was ooc and they saw her.. I know situations like that can be solved easily by saying to the person you are not IC, but there are times where I wouldn't notice because I'm tabbed out or on a brb - not to mention people might simply see her in the world somewhere and presume she was there icly without making contact. 

So that is why I am asking the above question. In other games there are addons who can do the job for you, by giving you the ability to set your status as OOC to everyone else with that addon, but no such thing exists for this game yet. 
It's something that I imagine wouldn't be the biggest problem to have, but if there was anything additionally I could do to further signal that I am OOC, then I would.

RE: Showing yourself as OOC - Elyscia - 02-24-2014

I know some people write in their Search Info certain factors, like if their Fairy (SCH) is up then they're not IC. For myself, I tell them to PM me first to check - it can be frustrating when your character isn't in their proper attire but they try to initiate on you and then you're called 'clowny' from now on (Yeah, you know who you are. T_T )

It's either that or you perhaps also edit your search Info and put up the 'AFK' sign?

RE: Showing yourself as OOC - Kage - 02-24-2014

I'm a little in the same boat. At first my character was only being RP'd as Gladiator/Paladin but I decided to incorporate my main BLM and GSM.

This... makes for interesting times where I either do continue to RP or /say ((Sorry I'm OOC right now)).

I currently don't have something I would call my "RP outfit" but I hope to have it planned out that I will have it when my paladin hits 50. I may consider putting it in my Search Info... or PST to Check if IC.

RE: Showing yourself as OOC - Maril - 02-24-2014

(02-24-2014, 03:17 PM)Elyscia Wrote: I know some people write in their Search Info certain factors, like if their Fairy (SCH) is up then they're not IC. For myself, I tell them to PM me first to check - it can be frustrating when your character isn't in their proper attire but they try to initiate on you and then you're called 'clowny' from now on (Yeah, you know who you are. T_T )

It's either that or you perhaps also edit your search Info and put up the 'AFK' sign?

I forgot to mention, I actually did put in my search info specifying if I was wearing class/craft gear, I am not IC. But, very few seem to read them. 
Using the /afk would be my last resort - because I don't want to mislead people into thinking I am not present. I prefer to be contactable since I am the leader of my FC, and I don't really want people to think I'm not there if they need to talk to me.. when I am. Messy! ._.

RE: Showing yourself as OOC - Aldotsk - 02-24-2014

When my character Ellaria doesn't wear CUL/ALC outfits or most crafting outfits, then she is considered IC.

Until I get Allagan's Robe of Healing , she will remain OOC regarding the terms of Disciple of War/Magic.

RE: Showing yourself as OOC - Faye - 02-24-2014

I understand the issue, but unfortunately there's not much you can do but kindly inform the person you are OOC and would be happy to role-play another time/elsewhere.

RE: Showing yourself as OOC - Noeh - 02-24-2014

In my case, the twins are pretty much IC everywhere. She probably wouldn't be considered IC though if the shantotto doll is gone. (It would be extremely rare for Wyra to be IC without her sister and she'd likely do a walk-up if that were the case.)

RE: Showing yourself as OOC - Rinette - 02-24-2014

(02-24-2014, 03:24 PM)Sastra Wrote: I forgot to mention, I actually did put in my search info specifying if I was wearing class/craft gear, I am not IC. But, very few seem to read them. 
Using the /afk would be my last resort - because I don't want to mislead people into thinking I am not present. I prefer to be contactable since I am the leader of my FC, and I don't really want people to think I'm not there if they need to talk to me.. when I am. Messy! ._.

I too have put that specific gear means I'm OOC but it's like people see that I roleplay in my search info and ignore the rest. I really miss those addons from WoW, they were so helpful. I can't wait until someone makes one for here. Until that time I guess we'll have to keep trying to put it in our search info until we find a magic phrase that grabs peoples' attention.

EDIT: You'd think that if they were going to go to the trouble of reading your search info to see if you're a roleplayer that they would be able to see your note about gear and being OOC. That's assuming they don't go around emoting to everyone trying to find the RPer.

RE: Showing yourself as OOC - Smiling River - 02-24-2014

You can just reply "(Oh sorry, I'm OOC atm)" and I don't think most RPers will mind, and just delete the IC greeting or w/e their character said to you from history :p

I personally like to get RP'ed at whenever, so I don't mind this but if I really was OOC and couldn't think of anyway to spin it IC'ly I'd just say that ^ . Cheers.

RE: Showing yourself as OOC - xelliexell - 02-24-2014

Heh, when I ran a Masquerade for my FC, I asked everyone who was an OoC observer to place their status as "busy" or some sort of similar marker. Maybe that would work in giving people a clear, upfront hint? 

I have my own name hidden though, so it may bother people who don't?

Either way, just trying to offer an idea.Moogle

RE: Showing yourself as OOC - Almil - 02-24-2014

I really miss the RP addons from WoW too.

One point I always updated to my search info "Currently IC" or "Currently OOC" , but not many people read them everytime they see someone ;D So then I tried writing "OOC if minion out" and used very OOC minion (usually baby behemot) when I ran around cities OOC, but while questing I often have my chocobo out instead and can't keep minion same time, which complicated things because I use the chocobo out often IC too >_<;;
Now I often use the AFK when I'm OOC. People can still send me /tell then and ask if I'm available. I tried using the Busy instead, but then someone told me that no-one can send me /tell then...

I wish there was IC or OOC icon to choose for status.

RE: Showing yourself as OOC - ArmachiA - 02-24-2014

I have that issue a bit too. Since my guild is a medium RP guild none of us are really in character 100% of the time and some people don't roleplay at all! I just have to hope people send me a tell or something first to ask, usually if they do I'll actually figure out a way to jump IC unless it's completely impossible (Like currently, Armi is in Aleport while Stanzie nurses her back to health so she wouldn't be in Gridania, for instance)

RE: Showing yourself as OOC - Roen - 02-24-2014

I think I will use the "busy" marker for when I am OOC.  I think that's a great idea.  Easily visible.

RE: Showing yourself as OOC - Nebbs - 02-24-2014

I am one of the "always IC" and even when not I can be IC quickly. 

So when I approach people, and they are OOC it isn't problem to rationalise. 

I can put you down as mistaken identity and you become just one of the many NPCs around for my character.

For those who are always OOC, I am sorry if I bother you, my memory is useless.

RE: Showing yourself as OOC - Mooncalling - 02-24-2014

I would warn against using the busy marker actually.

When you are /busy, the game blocks all tells from reaching you without sending any feedback to the person who is trying to get in touch with you. Nor does it tell you that someone tried to send you a message.

I found this out the hard way.