Hydaelyn Role-Players
Arblis' Log - Do not read unless catastrophe happens! ((Lighthearted Journal)) - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Role-Play (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+--- Forum: Town Square (IC) (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: Arblis' Log - Do not read unless catastrophe happens! ((Lighthearted Journal)) (/showthread.php?tid=6472)

Arblis' Log - Do not read unless catastrophe happens! ((Lighthearted Journal)) - Chompie - 02-24-2014

I'm here! It's just past dusk, and I can hear some nice music off in the distance. It's actually pretty soothing! I'm not used to music that isn't just a bunch of loud honking.

I thought Ul'dah was supposed to be a super-busy place though... maybe all those travelers I met were just exaggerating.

---

Everyone was indoors. I found the Adventurer's Guild, and it was stuffed full of people plotting, having serious discussions, having serious drinkings, and even people who were enjoying themselves! It was really stuffy. The leader seemed to be a Lalafell called Momodi, and as soon as she gave me some ideas for things to do, I got out of there to someplace with more air. I might as well look around the place, I'm way too excited to sleep! Maybe I can find out where that nice music is coming from. 

---

Who BUILT this place? When I first saw the walls, I was too shocked to think about it, but.. this is impossible! How do you stack blocks that high?! How do you put together all these domes and things that look so smooth and nice? There's no way anyone could do that!

And some of it just doesn't make any sense at all! I found a few of these crazy water pits that are so deep that I can't even tell how far down they go. They can't just be for decoration! All of the other decorations aren't just a giant pit for people to fall into! Except the coliseum, but at least that one you can get out of from the bottom.

[Image: ImKYX69.png]

I tried asking a few people about the waterpits, but they just rolled their eyes at me and kept going with what they were doing. I guess I'll have to figure it out myself.

Are there swordsmiths around here? Thinking about it now, maybe these deep waterpits are for cooling off twenty-foot-long swords! That makes a lot of sense, actually. I wonder who made them, and what they were for?

((Edited because I was like "Hey time to write more entries" and noticed imageshack removed the picture))

RE: Arblis' Log - Do not read unless catastrophe happens! ((Lighthearted Journal)) - Chompie - 02-25-2014

The people at the Gladiators' hall said I was a natural! They had me bully some bullies, even though that's really not hard to do! I mean, it would have been a LOT harder to stand back and watch those big marauders push around a bunch of wimpy merchants!

... maybe that's what they mean about being a natural?

Well anyroad, they fitted me for a suit of custom armor! It looks so awesome! And it's way more comfortable than I thought it would be! Everyone always says "oooh no, stick with lighter armor, the heavy stuff is really uncomfortable" but they're totally wrong!

I still don't have a shield though. I guess I'll have to go into the market streets and.. buy one. I really wish there was an easier way to get one. Ul'dah is kind of scary when it comes to gil. And the markets get really crowded. And I'm not really sure how much gil anything is worth. And .. I need to stop thinking about it and just do it before thousands of years pass and everything crumbles to dust!

(( I should probably add, sorry if my writing is a little inconsistent! I realized I'd never really written for a character in first-person, and I've never written anything resembling a journal even for myself. Sooooooo why not try it? Still working on getting the style and length and focus right. How do you write easily-distractedness? How do you give context without it sounding fake and forced? How do I avoid suddenly becoming excessively verbose instead of sticking to the short declarations my character prefers to use? I'm sure I'll figure it out. Writing is learning! ))

RE: Arblis' Log - Do not read unless catastrophe happens! ((Lighthearted Journal)) - Chompie - 03-03-2014

Oops.

I was really really nervous and once I found someone who was selling shields I just wanted to get it done and leave the market as fast as I could, but... I think I messed up. I thought I bought a shield but.. once I got out of the market district and looked at it.. I think I must have picked up a chef's cutting board by mistake.

I don't want to go back in there though, so.. I guess I can try strapping it to my arm? I hope nobody notices...
Show Content

---

I wish I had gotten a bigger cutting board!
I was out exploring and stumbled across a little bar in the middle of nowhere that was being sieged by a humongous rat man person beast! I told him to stop and he got REALLY offended and decided it was time for a brawl.
I broke all of his claws before he ran off! Yay!
I broke them with my face though. Less yay.

My face still hurts, but I have to stay up and sharpen my sword before I forget. That guy must have been made of gravel or something!

(( Wow, time flies when you're forgetting to write! ))

RE: Arblis' Log - Do not read unless catastrophe happens! ((Lighthearted Journal)) - Chompie - 10-03-2015

I don't think I know any words that can say how excited I am! REALLY VERY EXCITED A LOT! With all the refugees milling around the city with no place for them to stay, I thought I'd never have a place inside Ul'dah that could be my base camp, but.. here I am!
Momodi caught me an inn room as thanks for all the strange monsters and tiny uprisings and thug groups I've taken on in the last few weeks! It's mine now! I can come here whenever I want! I can leave things here! I can't even think of all the possibilities!

I don't even know what to do with myself!

---

Since I've clearly won the best prize Ul'dah could possibly give me, I decided to ride an airship around to the other big cities. They're.. different! I'm not sure if I like it.
Gridania is mostly carved into trees and hills and
Wait a minute. I'm writing about boring things, aren't I? I didn't write a journal to log boring things!

(a couple of impatient doodles are scribbled on the bottom corners of the page)

(( I returned to FFXIV after a year or so and found a couple half-finished entries in my Megalixir folder. Finished em up and here I am again. Hooray for writing! I will never forgive myself if I forget to finish all the entries I'm working on. ))

RE: Arblis' Log - Do not read unless catastrophe happens! ((Lighthearted Journal)) - Chompie - 10-11-2015

If I ever found a journal in some old Allagan ruins that described what the place was like, it would be an amazing find! If there's another huge Calamity, even boring writings about what cities look like would be interesting again! It's important for me to write- one day I might be the key to discovering history!

Gridania. Gridania is a peaceful place where most of the buildings are built into old tree stumps or hills or things like that. It's a nice thought, but... I'm not sure I like the place very much. I'm sure there are way fewer people than in Ul'dah, and yet... it feels so crowded. Maybe it's because of all the leaves being blown through the city?
A few times I heard people refer to the Elementals and the Will of the Elementals and that sort of thing. Maybe that crowded feeling is because those Elementals are invisible and brushing shoulders with everyone. I don't know! I didn't stay long. When people glared at me as I passed by, it was.. different. Not like the predatory stares Ul'dahn merchants give everyone. I'm not sure what the Gridanians wanted from me. Maybe just 'gone'.
... I'm already comparing everything to Ul'dah like I've lived there my whole life.

I'm writing these words on a cloudy day in Limsa Lominsa, away from prying eyes that might say "Hey, stop writing bad things about our Gridania!"
Limonsa is pretty great! The sea breeze and all the white stone the place is built from make it almost otherworldly... And all the "yarr bosun tradewinds scuttle me bankships" talk probably helps make it seem stranger than it really is.
I think I'll go check out the smithing guilds, maybe I can learn a few tips to keep my gear in better shape.

---

I met... a... person. A drama queen. A lighting-fast master of short blades. Someone very hard to describe. I lent him a helping hand, and as the sun finally broke through the clouds, he moved with a flash, and uh...

My hair looks pretty fantastic now!

Show Content
It was only a haircut, but it FELT like the most important moment of my life.

I suppose the moral of the day is: Help out someone in trouble. Because then.. uh... something??

I should put away the pen until I'm done being stunned.