Hydaelyn Role-Players
Nature of LinkShells - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Nature of LinkShells (/showthread.php?tid=6516)

Pages: 1 2

Nature of LinkShells - Candor - 02-28-2014

So, before I ask the question I've posted for, I would like to state what I think I know regarding the nature of linkshells. They're quite basic, in that there is a shell (which I assume physically resembles an oyster shell) and to it are linked numerous pearls. Anyone possessing one of these pearls can speak directly into it, and their messages can be heard by the holders of the other pearls. The communication requires audible speech, and some sort of touch activation (as seen by various NPCs using linkshells throughout the main scenario.)

Right, so if I have that correct, awesome. If not, please feel free to fill in my gaps of knowledge. And now for the actual question:

How far would the RP community say is reasonable to take the function of linkshells? I've been considering this for a short while, wondering at different applications and the inevitable evolution of telecommunications devices in the real world (cellular/mobile phones.) In the world of technology, these things advance at a rapid rate, so what about in the world of magic?

I've been wondering about the following features and how the community would regard them (and in advance, none of them are either supported nor contradicted by canon.)

1. Telepathic link. Instead of speaking into the pearl and hearing words from the pearl, the user would think the outgoing message and then mentally perceive all incoming messages.

2. Visual feedback. I've been considering this in two different aspects. The first that the pearl itself would act as a camera, and fellow users could see as the pearl sees - much like video chat or Face Time. The other relies more on the telepathic link, and the pearl would transmit images as the user sees them, similar to a head-mounted camera or first person view video game.

3. Location tracker. The linkpearl would inform other users where the user is located, just like any cell phone tracker or global positioning device.

That's it, really. I don't RP as if my linkpearls can do any of these things at present, but they're things that I consider to be interesting and not categorically far-fetched. So I'm curious what others think.

EDIT: I'm not asking what the main scenario supports. I know what the main scenario supports. I'm asking what players think about the ideas presented above regarding the evolution of these devices, as it's completely unrealistic to assert that linkshells will always be limited to "touch and talk" functions.

RE: Nature of LinkShells - TheLastCandle - 02-28-2014

I tend to use them as audio-only devices, as the way they're presented in the story suggests that's all they're capable of. Various NPCs throughout the storyline contact you via Linkpearl, and despite a visual being advantageous in various situations (particularly in the final dungeon...) we never see it happen. What we do see as an example of Linkshell use is Raubahn appearing to touch his ear and speak to a soldier remotely. There are likely other instances in various cutscenes, but I just woke up and my brain may still be slightly sleep-addled.

RE: Nature of LinkShells - Ciel - 02-28-2014

I have some theories on how they work, but I'm posting from my phone at the moment so I'll have to wait until I get in from work tonight.

Please look forward to it. o.-d

RE: Nature of LinkShells - Siha - 02-28-2014

Just to reiterate something that the OP said, he/she knows how they work they're asking if we think the ideas above seem like they would be something that would be possibly feasible down the road. I personally have to say that it doesn't seem too far fetched to me that with enough research into it that all of those ideas could be possible especially since Eorzea is technically a world of magic AND technology with the Garleans present.

I don't think it'd be too impossible for someone to modify their Link Pearl to be able to include video and audio, the telepathy is only a bit that seems like it might be a stretch. I know there's the trump card of 'because magic' but that one just seems like it takes the idea a little too far from the original for me personally, it's not a bad idea it's just not one that I could easily justify but if someone were to use it sure that's all for them!

That's just my small take on it though.

RE: Nature of LinkShells - Ildur - 02-28-2014

I don't feel like linkpearls are advanced enough to be 'telepathic' or even include visual feedback. I do think that using them for tracking the location of the users could be a thing, though it probably wouldn't work properly if the user is in an area filled with envioremental aether (like Mor Dhona). The exactitude of the tracking can be anything from "he's in X region, in the backroom of Y's house" to "he's in Eorzea, yup!". Since that doesn't seem to be a thing in the lore (that I remember), I'd suggest requiring a long ritual or a very big and bulky device for the tracking. Depending on the exactitude, of course.

RE: Nature of LinkShells - Adolar - 02-28-2014

I can see the possibility in having the linkshell track its users. If the device is giving off some sort of aetheric energy then there could be a way to pinpoint the person's location through some sort of magical GPS system.

Visual feedback sounds like it could work as well. Seems like something that would happen naturally over time if Eorzea's technology advances at all. Or maybe I'm just thinking too much in RL terms? On the other hand, the Garleans seem to have machinery much more advanced than a simple video camera so Eorzeans just need to steal all of their secrets at some point. Cactuar

The telepathic thing is really iffy for me, mainly because I'm not too big of a fan of the concept in general. I would assume it would require a person to properly organize their thoughts so that they don't accidentally broadcast the wrong message floating around in their head and that doesn't seem like something an average adventurer would be very good at. I suppose that could lead to humorous situations though. A telepathic MT?

RE: Nature of LinkShells - Ciel - 02-28-2014

(02-28-2014, 02:55 PM)Siha Wrote: Just to reiterate something that the OP said, he/she knows how they work they're asking if we think the ideas above seem like they would be something that would be possibly feasible down the road.

I got what the OP said, but I have some additional ideas.  Thanks for pointing out that I failed reading comprehension though.  I'll keep my theories to myself then.

RE: Nature of LinkShells - Siha - 02-28-2014

It wasn't meant as an insult Ciel, not in the least, I was just pointing that out as I wasn't sure if that was added after or before replies. My apologies if I offended you but it wasn't intended that way. I must have misunderstood your post.

RE: Nature of LinkShells - Sounsyy - 02-28-2014

Location Tracker: I would say Linkshells having a "GPS" of sorts could be considered canon. If you go to your linkshell menu in game, it has the zone of each person online in your linkshell. So I don't see why this Game Mechanic couldn't be translated into an RP or story thing. No one would be able to pinpoint your exact location (that sounds like satellites to me) but you could get a general zone or region off of a character in your linkshell sure, why not?

Visual Feedback: To me, this sounds a little out of reach for Eorzean linkshells. However, it doesn't sound at all farfetched if combined or enhanced with Garlean technology. Definitely sounds like something that could come out of the Garlond Ironworks. Regular linkshells on their own, probably not so much. Remember Eorzea is pretty primitive/savage compared to other parts of the world. The airship was a fairly recent invention in Eorzea, and it was only possible through stealing Garlean tech. 

Telepathy: Eh... maybe. Gotta agree this one seems a bit of a stretch. A linkshell is just a magically imbued shell that when sound waves vibrate within it, it carries that sound to all of its sister pearls by some means that is not specific. The key to it is it has to have sound waves. Kinda like when you put a real world spiral seashell up to your ear you can hear the ocean. Otherwise your linkpearl would pick up all the thoughts you don't necessarily want to broadcast to your fellows. "Gods, this Sounsyy chick is such an idiot! ...Oh sorry, did I think that outloud?"

RE: Nature of LinkShells - Tiergan - 02-28-2014

I've seen all of these ideas implemented in various different LSes and FCs already.

With enough creativity and careful thought, you can get virtually any of those ideas to be plausible. Personally, (and this is not a slam on anyone who prefers them) audio-only linkshells tend to leave me feeling like I'm missing a core part of my RP experience even if they are more authentic to the lore. I like writing descriptive emotes, so only transmitting 'dialogue' makes me a sad panda. Different strokes for different folks though.

RE: Nature of LinkShells - ArmachiA - 02-28-2014

^ We use our LS as a long range communication device to help facilitate close quarters RP, so for us it's not the only place we RP like at all.

RE: Nature of LinkShells - FreelanceWizard - 02-28-2014

The visual element is something that we know can be done via magitek, at the very least; the Garleans have a system in at least one of their bases that allows visual monitoring of everything in the base. Since magitek in general seems to be replicable through magic, I could see some kind of visual system in the future (albeit as Sounsyy said, perhaps not with linkpearls as we know them).

The location tracker is eminently plausible, IMO. The Mysterium has been experimenting with ways of using linkpearls' connection to the Lifestream to track them like beacons, starting with general location and eventually locking onto specific positions. IC, they haven't had much progress yet, but that's because it's not been a high research priority for those involved.

Telepathy isn't something we see through any form of magic or magitek in game, save for the Echo (which is out of its holders' control, largely). I'd put it in the "possible, but well beyond anyone's capabilities" category. It would require a much better understanding of the Echo and mental magic than anyone is even on the cusp of having at the moment.

All of that said, if you wanted a group of people to have a linkshell capable of any of these, I think it'd be fine as long as you have a justifiable narrative reason for how you got it and you take into consideration all of the side effects. It would need to be difficult or impossible to replicate, or everyone would have it (and it'd probably be seized by someone for military use). You'd probably want to keep it quiet to prevent it from attracting undesired attention. Finally, you'd need to accept that some would find it implausible IC and respond accordingly.

RE: Nature of LinkShells - synaesthetic - 03-02-2014

The way I've used linkshells and linkpearls in RP is effectively like a police radio. The pearl is worn as an earring; touch the pearl with your finger and then talk and everyone with a matching pearl or the original linkshell can hear you.

There are the beginnings of a future plot with my character where she, attempting to circumvent the limits of linkshells and other communications methods, accidentally ends up developing the magitech equivalent of a quantum entanglement communications device, so that plot will have a lot to do with linkshells, Garlean radios and other bits and pieces of communications tech.

RE: Nature of LinkShells - Steel Wolf - 03-02-2014

The only entities in all of Eorzea capable of telekinetic transmission are the Ascians and Hydaelyn Herself....so, that's out of the question, even with the power of Garlemald's magitek.

That said, magitek is capable of making a near-sentient walking robot weapons platform, so I don't see how some level of engineering couldn't create a linkpearl that has visual input abilities and a rudimentary, broad-range (but imprecise) location tracking ability.  I'm not sure how portable both features would be, however.  Magitek always comes off as very "steampunk" in its aesthetic and functionality, so that might pose some problem, unless people don't mind IC whipping out the Eorzean equivalent of an 80's era cellphone.

RE: Nature of LinkShells - synaesthetic - 03-02-2014

People will always have a problem with what other people do. Big Grin I always get some science fiction involved in my fantasy, and considering Allagan tech, there's stuff already on Eorzea that makes an 80s mobile phone look like tin cans and string.

Show Content