Hydaelyn Role-Players
Lore-esque Questions.. Sorta - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Lore-esque Questions.. Sorta (/showthread.php?tid=6561)

Pages: 1 2

Lore-esque Questions.. Sorta - E'irawen - 03-05-2014

Potential spoilers ahead if you haven't done the THM questline, as some examples I use are from it.

So, I've been sort of trying to formulate a plot. Please forgive me if I sort of fumble in explanation or anything, I've never really done it before, and I'm nervous.

I wanted to gather information first. Please also be advised that the RP I do sticks close to the lore, as much as I can (though willing to bend slightly, if it's able). I only say this disclaimer because I know some people go a little willy-nilly on stuff.

On to stuff!

My character is a bit obsessed with learning what he can. Combined with some recent events (broken heart, being accused of being weak, other smallish things), I thought it might be likely enough that he could go overboard with it. I think it would be very likely, given his personality and the like, that he would overobsess about proving himself... like. Not weak.

Normally, his primary skill is conjury. He's become a pretty decent healer and on top of this, is a hearer. However, some psychological issues from years past have resulted in him mistaking not-so-sane voices for the Elemental ones. This is besides the point, really, but it could be useful I thought.

My main question, I guess (I am sorry, I ramble), is like... What is the possibility of him going a little aether/magic crazy? I know that for the most part, it's not necessarily an easy thing to use conjury powers for evil (maybe..Water? Or..something. I guess he can drown someone with it), but I also know that if you do somehow do that, that the Elementals would foresake you and that you could no longer borrow from their life force.

This brings me to what I sort of remember about the THM questline. I do remember the youngest sibling at the Ossuary going a little nuts because he was accused constantly of being the weakling and being useless. 

I wanted to know, what would be paths that my character could take to reach a similar point? He doesn't necessarily know anyone of the "evil sort" or anything, so I don't know that he could necessarily be tainted so easily, which is okay actually, because in my head I sort of think it's something he would have brought upon himself?

No, I don't want him tempered. Because if you become tempered, you are literally sentencing yourself to an early death. I know that is the only way to cure it- so that is out of the question.

I'm sorry for the kind of mess this post is. I know what I want, and at the same time, I'm wandering around in the dark as for a means of how to get there.

Edit: Afterthought too but if someone wouldn't mind explaining how and why aether poisoning happens, I'd appreciate it.

RE: Lore-esque Questions.. Sorta - allgivenover - 03-05-2014

As I understand it the Elementals are far from omniscient and using Conjury is not the same as communing with them directly, so it's not impossible that a person using it for an "evil" act may go unnoticed. Additionally what Eorzeans might consider "evil" might not exactly line up with what the Elementals consider "evil", they are non-humanoid beings with an extremely different viewpoint that are entirely obsessed with the Twelveswood. 

Edit: Unless I'm mistaken, Conjury is accomplished through channeling and manipulation of the aether in the environment, it's not exactly borrowed from the Elementals. It's possible to draw from yourself (and maybe other living beings? That would be a truly evil act), but this can be fatal.

I actually don't think that the Elementals have any control whatsoever over the use of common Conjury and thus they would have no ability to bar its use, it's succor that they can gift and (possibly?) take away. So have at it.

I can't recall all the details about being poisoned by aether (aethersick?). It know it's caused by being exposed to too much aether (obviously~) and that it's not necessarily fatal.

RE: Lore-esque Questions.. Sorta - E'irawen - 03-05-2014

Oh yes, thank you! I think my wording was a little off. I know the Elementals/hearing have nothing to do with the casting directly. I only included the information in case it was relevant to what I was looking for. ;o;  Sorry for the confusion!

I was told that they would 'foresake' you if you used your conjury negatively, which I always assumed would mean you could no longer borrow from them when you did heal. Like.. they wouldn't let you or something.

The main general idea I was looking to have with this character was that, because he's experienced being accused as weak (and on top of this, several failed attempts at relationships sort of "enforcing" the idea, in his head) that he might use his love and thirst for knowledge to empower himself. But that perhaps he gets a little too obssessed? I was trying to find possible ways that it, essentially, would make him go a little nuts and perhaps "evil" in a sense, as a result.

(I hope that makes more sense. The more I re-read my original post the more I'm trying to figure out wtf I was on)

RE: Lore-esque Questions.. Sorta - Noeh - 03-05-2014

If you intend to go a step further than simple conjury however.. The elements won't forsake a white mage from using their power no matter what reason. Becoming a white mage is rather hard though by conventional means because it was being used for evil by a large amount of people according to the job storyline.

Thank you both for your help and information.

I suppose the thing I'm looking for exactly, though, are means and ways he could achieve the whole... evil thing? I feel a bit dumb asking in such a way. But no matter how much I think on it, I keep hitting a block entirely.

RE: Lore-esque Questions.. Sorta - Ildur - 03-05-2014

I think you are confusing Conjury with Succor. Conjury is elemental magic with the environment as the source of aether (in contrast with Thaumaturgy, whose source is the caster himself). Succor is a special type of magic granted directly by the Elementals and, because of that, the only branch of magic that can be actively denied (in theory, anyway).

In other words, your character can go mad (no pun intented) with Conjury as much as you want her to. It is not a type of magic that requires intervention from the Elemental: it's just extraciton of aether from the environment. If she is a White Mage, though, the Elementals may step in and turn her (white mage) powers off. You could maybe come up with ways for your character to fool the Elementals thanks to them being weak after the Calamity, but that might irk some people.
Or, if what Noeh is true about the Elementals not turning off Succor ever, then your character will be subject to the Woodwrath: they basically turn the whole Black Shroud against you if you step in it.

The weak lalafell in the THM storyline is a character who is stated to have a low internal aether level. Basically, the reason he is 'weak' is because he lacks the necessary magical energies to cast spells. Trying to do so could result in death.

As for reasons for your character to go evil...well, that depends on your character's personal story and the best person to come up with that would be you. Just remember that you can have more mundane reasons to steer your character in that direction. No need for fancy evil spirits or artifacts or magical nonsense. Old psychology can work well, if not better.

Aether sickness is a phenomenom caused by the shift in the aetherial flow of the world, something that occurred thanks to the Calamity. You'll suffer it if you are in an area with high levels of aether, though apparently you can get used to it (the Player Character never suffers from it again after the intro). I also vaguely remember it can make certain creatures more agressive, which I guess is a good way to justify all the aggresive mobs in the world. But don't quote me on that.

Thank you Ildur! 

I really appreciate all of your patience with me. I am terrible at putting my thoughts into words.

RE: Lore-esque Questions.. Sorta - Kage - 03-05-2014

((I had started to work on this but got called away for work ;A; but I'll post it even though you've got this mostly answered.))

Hmmm not sure if this will help you. In the THM questline, the youngest Coco-bro Cocobusi, doesn't really go nuts from aether itself nor from anything his brothers did. He thought that he was weak and useless because he wanted to be a thaumaturge like all of his brothers but he could not because he didn't have the aetheric reserves to do any of the arcane maniuplations that thaumaturgy would require. For him to attempt it would literally cause his death. His obsession with trying to become one leads him to being susceptible to possession by void-sent.

So technically, you don't -need- to know any person that is known as evil. Your character can do this by simply of his own free will. You -could- do it similarly to Cocobusi, that is up to you but it's not necessary.

(03-05-2014, 11:05 AM)ExKage Wrote: ((I had started to work on this but got called away for work ;A; but I'll post it even though you've got this mostly answered.))

Hmmm not sure if this will help you. In the THM questline, the youngest Coco-bro Cocobusi, doesn't really go nuts from aether itself nor from anything his brothers did. He thought that he was weak and useless because he wanted to be a thaumaturge like all of his brothers but he could not because he didn't have the aetheric reserves to do any of the arcane maniuplations that thaumaturgy would require. For him to attempt it would literally cause his death. His obsession with trying to become one leads him to being susceptible to possession by void-sent.

So technically, you don't -need- to know any person that is known as evil. Your character can do this by simply of his own free will. You -could- do it similarly to Cocobusi, that is up to you but it's not necessary.

Thank you! (And for explanations. It's been a looong time since I did THM, and even then I just kind of burned through it just to get Swiftcast for my Scholar).

I debated a void-sent thing, but I admittedly have worried if that would rub players the wrong way? I know void-sent are part of the lore and totally exist, but are most players okay with it being used in RP?

RE: Lore-esque Questions.. Sorta - Kage - 03-05-2014

I know of several people who have had to deal with voidsent in some way or another in their plots. I don't see why people would dislike it?

RE: Lore-esque Questions.. Sorta - Ildur - 03-05-2014

I don't see why not. Lore is there to be used and exploited by roleplayers. That's how we keep consistency with the game world.
There are at least three cases of void-sents messing people up by controlling them: you have Cocobusi's story, Haukke Manor and a FATE where one Lamb of Dalamud kills herself to let a succubus into the world.

How your character gets to be affected by one (possesion is not needed, though it might be the cheapest and easiest route) is up to you, but it's not like it's thematically against the game or not supported by the lore.

Thank you all, again. I may dabble with that idea since I'm a little scared to do anything too over-ambitious, but perhaps not as simple as a possession? Not sure.

RE: Lore-esque Questions.. Sorta - Lost River - 03-05-2014

From my understanding; White Mages in the past became Necromancers and Black Mages thought it was fun to recast Meteor over and over; it was aether abuse. Hence why both classes are rare (until now); with the whole plotline of war and the calamity, we need both in large quantities with the Empire and Primals screwing everything up.

With the whole questline, as I've RPd and such, there isn't a special snowflake, the only exception would be the Azure Dragoon, but you can still be a jumpy aether manipulating dragoon; but each of the personal quests, I see it as a NPC's "First of Many" approach, as it makes more viable sense.

But as for the whole bit; being evil and such and a white mage is bad if you ever want to go to gridania.

I admit I'm a little hesitant because what he does is very important to him. He was born in the Shroud, so it's very important. It's his home, y'know? All he's really known are the Elements/Elementals, etc.

So I'm kind of worried about having a plot that would literally rip that away from him, but  at the same time I'm feeling like it would be interesting?

Would it be impossible for him to get back into good graces and be able to pick up conjury/succor again after the entire plotline was said and done? (Or even possibly be a second arc, him trying to get his goodies back)

RE: Lore-esque Questions.. Sorta - Lost River - 03-05-2014

The elementals can and do forgive; if they didn't, during the whole necromancy stint, there would be no white mages ever afterward. Period. So, yes, I do believe (but with a lot of effort) can be done.