Hydaelyn Role-Players
Is it legal or are we just rich? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Role-Play (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+--- Forum: Town Square (IC) (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: Is it legal or are we just rich? (/showthread.php?tid=6588)

Is it legal or are we just rich? - Naunet - 03-08-2014

((The following occurs several days after Don't forget your milk!))

The commune of the Dodo tribe was poised in silence, as a predatory might before pouncing. The aura of the place bundled inward, like muscles, heavy air pressing against the stone towers like bones. The central fountain of the commune breathed in its trickling voice, unobservant of the general hush. The square where the fountain was located was a good distance above the city, suspended at an intersection of several bridges and swollen to give room for seating and shrubbery planted in long stone troughs. The wind rising up out of the desert cut harshly across the square, grabbing droplets from the fountain and throwing them aside as a wealthy man might do with imperfectly cut diamonds.

Few of the tribe were present in that square, themselves so adorned in fine silk and gems that their downcast moods were poor fashion. Their eyes occasionally cast towards one of the five towers, wherein the majority of the tribe was concealed. Miqo'te unnumbered, perhaps many, perhaps a proud few, invisible within the towers bugs inside of trees.

It felt strange to return to business she had not long prior been fired from. No, if she were completely honest - fled from. The satchel that held the carefully organized files D'hein had returned to her bounced heavily against her hip as she trudged her way up a spiral of stairs. One paper in particular held particular, if only metaphorical, weight and would serve as her ticket of access further into this strange compound. Among other things.

Truthfully, beyond all of the stress and anxiety and fear and lingering, agonizing grief, Antimony was rather proud of what she'd managed to pull back together from this investigation. Her time amongst Captain Lamandau's filing cabinets, and then later her time in the files of other merchants, had produced a serpentine but undeniable paper trail leading from a few Brass Blades' questionable assignments, through several attempts at laundering, and back to the very tribe Miss Carceri had directed her initial suspicions: the Dodos. She had confronted embezzlers and frauds and other financial pirates numerous times in her years with her previous employer, and so she felt every ounce of confidence when it came to handling the matter. Still, the whole thing did seem a step above her past record.

She had begun to slow, her joints mightily protesting the many stairs, when she caught sight of a pillar of light above her and a shift in the air that told her outside was near. Adjusting the weight of her satchel, Antimony hurried up the last few stairs and emerged out onto an open, hexagonal courtyard with a number of bridges leading away to five, imposing towers. She stood there a moment, unintentionally taking in the mathematical genius it had to have required to design such a structure, and then shook herself. Business time.

A short distance away, a miqo'te lingered, doing who knew what business of their own, and not having any other way to start, Antimony chose to approach. She kept her chin lifted, shoulders back and posture straight, and called out to the miqo'te - she could only presume them a Dodo - as she neared, "Excuse me, I don't suppose you can direct me to an individual of authority here? I come on official business on behalf of the Commerce Regulation Agency."

The woman whom Antimony was yelling it was soft brown of skin, sandy blonde hair, all seeming to blend together so she looked like she might be made of clay. She was swathed in blue satin, however, and jewelry dangled from her ears and neck, wrapped tight about her thin wrists. The narrow woman was hunched forward where she sat on a stone bench, staring at the fountain, and at Antimony's call her ears perked up and turned towards her.

Dusty-looking tail shifting behind her -- this is well adorned, with gold and lapis bands wrapping her tail near where it joined her spine -- the woman slowly straightened her posture and turned her eyes on Antimony. Dirt-colored eyelids fell low over mud-colored eyes, giving the thin woman a sleepy appearance.

"Hm." She flicked her eyes towards some Miqo'te across the fountain from herself and Antimony, then back to Antimony. "What?"

Grey tail twitching, Antimony bowed her head briefly in greeting and then went to repeat herself, "I need to speak with someone of authority in the Dodo tribe. I've got papers backing my representation, should questions arrive. Could you direct me to someone? Or some place?"

The woman glanced away, a bit confused, then smirked, "You don't know who you're looking for? Who sends a courier to just 'someone'?"

Antimony blinked, her mouth quirking at the unexpected counter. "Well," she breathed out and then drew herself up. "I doubt I can just walk right up to your nunh, yes? Someone who can take me to," she paused half a second as she worked to call the name up from memory, "D'themia. That's what I require."

"Oh." The woman's mouth formed an 'o', and she exhaled with an amused half-laugh. "Noooooo. No. You can't talk to him."

"Yes, well, that's why I need someone else with authority," Antimony nodded. She felt keenly out of practice in this moment, the state of distraction she'd lost herself in for the past few weeks making it difficult to settle back into the uncomfortable mindset it required to... well, confront people. "So if you could...?"

The Dodo woman just smiled a bit broader at Antimony, her tail swinging lazily behind her. "Now, now. Tell me what your business is, grandma'am."

The age-related title of reference went right over Antimony's head as she offered a likely awkward smile to the woman, the corners of her eyes crinkling. "I'm here on a routine follow up regarding matters my employer has been contracted to resolve. I can demonstrate to you the papers transferring authority from the Commerce Regulation Agency, with the backing of the Grand Companies, if you wish."

"You don't really look the part," the woman replied, shrugged, "I've got nobody to send you to unless you have a specific name. Everyone's in meeting right now."

The tip of her tail curled at that, and she clasped her hands together at her waist, tapping her fingers for a moment before frowning. "Then you can direct me to their meeting and I will gladly wait for them to become available."

Laughing again, she put a hand to her mouth and leaned forward a bit, saying in a loud whisper. "Noooooo." She looked around again. In a joking tone, she said, "Commerce Regulation Agency. Are you going to regulate our commerce?"

Antimony's frown shifted to one of confusion at the woman's laughter, grey-furred ears going askew. One hand moved to straighten her glasses and then smooth down the front of her simple, ruddy purple tunic in an attempt to collect her thoughts enough to counteract this unexpected difficulty. Then her hands were pushing into her satchel, shuffling through papers until they extracted a single document stamped with the seal of the CRA and amended with the seal of Ul'dah's Grand Company, the Immortal Flames. "As you can see," she held the paper out towards the woman so that it was clearly visible. "I am here on perfectly legal grounds, so I would very much appreciate it if you would either show me to the eld--er, the ruling body of your tribe, or show me to someone who can." She paused and then, "Please."

"Hm," the woman stood, and turned to face Antimony. She gave the paper a moments glance before her lazy eyes looked around the mostly empty courtyard. "Oh, you're very serious, aren't you. Pardon." She turned and look across the fountain to the two women who lingered there, waving over her head, "Hey! This woman has come to regulate our commerce? Who do I send her two?"

She only garnered attention from one of the two, who waved off the notion and returned to their silence.

"Oh," the woman sighed, "Maybe I'm the only one who finds this amusing."

"Ah... what?" Antimony's ears set back briefly before she forced herself into as assertive a posture as her short frame could manage, lips pursed, chin up, green eyes giving the brown woman a firm look. "Excuse me, but this is no joke. I am Antimony Jhanhi, financial inspector with the CRA, and you risk unnecessary legal action if you deny me access to the people I request."

"That's silly," the woman said, looking around, "Enough. Where is your keeper, servant? Or are you lost?"

She couldn't help the way the fur along her tail stood up at that. "I am no servant," she protested. "Is this how you treat all legitimate visitors? You're being--well, unconscionably rude!"

"Grandma'am," the woman turned to Antimony again, still smiling, "You are in the commune of the Dodo tribe and are not a Dodo. If you don't understand why that's funny, I can't explain. There is no one here for someone of your class unless you have a specific name to prove me wrong."

For several seconds, Antimony's tail curled frustratingly behind her. She should not have expected this to go smoothly, though of course she had, because what could they possibly do in the face of unassailable legalities? Apparently much.

Well, the woman wanted a name. She'd given one before, but perhaps she should push harder. "Then I demand," she pressed her lips together a moment, pulled herself together, "to speak with D'themia. With the authority given to me by the Commerce Regulation Agency and the Grand Companies to fulfill an entirely legal investigation, I demand access to your nunh."

"You can make an appointment through proper channels if you possess the clout," the woman countered, smiled. "Anyway, he's in meeting, and expected to be there all day."

She wanted to ball her fists in frustration, but luckily Antimony had more control than to do such a thing. "Then direct me to these proper channels, and I will do so."

"I doubt you have sufficient clout. Otherwise I could likely tell you a better time." The woman said, faking a pout, as she sat down. "Anyway, you don't want to talk to D'themia. He's very unfriendly to strangers."

"His manners do not change my legal priorities, miss," Antimony said simply.

"Well D'themia's booked for two months. Soonest I can get you in would be then." She blinked. Then smiled, "Oh, I don't have my calendar. I'm sure I'm right, though."

"That is unacceptable," Antimony shook her head. "I cannot delay the investigation for so long. If I must, I will retrieve a warrant and access to D'themia and everything else required by force."

The woman lost all cheer as Antimony spoke, her head tilting to look up from under her brow at the older Miqo'te. Her ears angling back on her head, the thin woman said, "Investigation? Warrant, force? Who do you think you're talking to?"

"I told you who I represent, miss," Antimony replied solemnly, putting a great deal of effort into keeping her features as calm as possible. She hated confrontation of this manner, and in fact it rather scared her; she had happily left the clean-up of her investigations in the past to others. But gaining access to the Dodos' financial documents was vital in securing the framework of the accusations others - certainly not herself - would be leveling against particular individuals. That meant at least for now, it remained a part of her duties.

"Commerce is not regulated in the commune," the thin woman stated. She looked across the fountain at the other women, then back to Antimony, "You're not in the proper place. Those without clout can visit secretarial offices in the Hustings Strip, though dressed like that I'd be surprised if you know how to get there."

"Your tribe is not above the law, miss." She chose to not respond to the insult that, this time, did not go unnoticed.

"You're not in the proper place," the woman repeated. "You need to leave."

"I am in the--" what had the woman called it? "--the commune of the Dodo tribe. That is precisely where I need to be to speak with D'themia Nunh. So..." She let out a short breath, ears twitching agitatedly. "I am very much in the 'proper' place."

"No. I'm not authorize to evaluate your credentials, and you aren't authorized to be here without permission. I'm not joking. You need to leave."

"I will not leave until I've spoken to someone with the authority to authorize my credentials, and once I've secured access for a meeting - and notin a few months time," Antimony insisted, not budging an inch.

She stood and waved to those across the fountain. This time when she caught the one's attention, she held it with a serious look for a moment, and then turned to Antimony and said, "Everyone's in a meeting. Except the huntresses. Outsiders aren't allowed to be here without authorization and I can't discern if you have it." As she spoke, the women across from the fountain watched, conferred silently, then turned and trotted towards one of the bridges.

"You're trespassing on our tribal ground," the thin woman said. "We can and will remove you."

"Trespass," Antimony blinked and kind of waffled about for several moments, her tail lashing anxiously. She only vaguely noticed the activity of the other women, more focused on defending her right to be present. The urgency D'hein had spoken with several days prior returned to her then, and her tail shivered. "I am not trespassing when I have valid authorization to be here! Whether you specifically can determine such matters not. Your home is in Ul'dah, and you are therefore subject to its laws."

"Property and privacy laws," the woman said, watching the pair making their way across the long bridge to one of the towers. "I cannot authorize your presence so you will be removed. There's nothing else I can say." She went thin-lipped and sat down.

Antimony frowned, huffed, and then turned towards the breadth of the courtyard, searching for any other lingering individuals. Her eyes went to the bridges then, which she considered nervously. "Since you have refused to help me, I will find someone else who will. Someone reasonable and more understanding of the legalities of this matter."

"You'll just get in more trouble if you go poking around, grandma'am." She stared at the fountain while she said this. He tail twitched.

"And I think you're only trying to intimidate me," Antimony huffed, half to herself, as her feet began to carry her away from the mud-colored woman. "Well, I won't have it! I won't be bullied in this matter." The courtyard would not likely prove useful, so acknowledging this, Antimony screwed up her courage (such as it was) and angled her steps towards the bridge leading to the tallest tower. It seemed the most important, which made it a likely place for housing the people (or rather, the people's papers) she was after.

There were a few seconds of silence as Antimony walked away, while the very thin woman stared at the fountain, hands gripping the bench she sat on tightly. Then she looked up at Antimony, noted her path towards the largest of the towers, and was on her feet again quickly. "No! That’s a bad idea!" She was trotting after Antimony quickly, "You don't want to go there."

"Judging by your earlier attitude," Antimony began in a lecturing tone, "I most certainly do." She made to quicken her pace, in part to counter the small corner of her thoughts that fretted anxiously over every inch of this situation and in part to try and put some distance between herself and the unhelpful woman.

"Nooo," the woman dashed forward to catch up with Antimony, "Listen up. If you go in there while they're having their meeting, you're liable to get arrested for somnus possession or somnus or some like thing and I'm liable to weather complaints for not stopping you."

Giving the woman a dubious look out of the corner of her vision, one brow arched behind her glasses, Antimony did not stop. Her tail lashed behind her, though its fur stood on end belying an undercurrent of nerves. "Don't be ridiculous. I don't have anything of the sort on me - I never have! What I do have, however, is an extremely legal order of investigation, of which the Dodos are a part. So excuse me."

The very thin woman stopped her in her steps, fists closing and opening rhythmically at her sides. She bounced on her toes for a moment, and huffed, "I would get physical with you if I was not above such labors." She looked about the various towers, but didn't see whatever it was she was looking for.

It took some effort not to hesitate in her steps at that, though her ears flinched down as though to hide from the woman's idle threat. Hot on the heels of the worry came indignation, however, and with pursed lips and an unyielding frown, Antimony stepped onto the bridge, continuing on with all intents of crossing it into the tower that loomed increasingly massive up ahead. As she walked - more like strode, and purposefully - Antimony decided it would be best to ignore the other woman now.

The woman shifted back and forth a bit, then threw her hands up in the air, "Fine! My good deed for the week goes wasted then," and she turned away to pace off.

The tower Antimony was approaching was modestly ornamented, if by modest we mean the ornate patterns of brickwork were not inlaid with gold or precious stones. Complicated geometric patterns of pale brick was set in the darker tan brick crawling several stories up to the underside of a vast balcony that wrapped the tower and overshadowed the square and city below.

The bridge itself terminated at large double doors, flanked by red tapestries with a tribal crest upon them: a pudgy but heroic looking bird upon a stack of coins, with a spear held under one wing. Either that or an ourobon on eggs with an arrow in its head. Images of such complexity didn't oft translate so well in cloth and thread. Sufficed that it was a very complicated and proud illustration of something or other.

Her steps slowing unconsciously as she approached the tower and its massive doors, Antimony leaned her head back at an increasingly uncomfortable angle to take in the display. One foot stumbled then, caught in a crack, and she caught herself quickly before shaking her head and tail. "Perhaps I will finally make some progress here," she muttered to herself and came to a stop in front of the doors.

She stood there for several seconds, wringing her hands anxiously, shifting the weight of her satchel, darting her eyes between the ornate tapestries. Then she drew in a long breath, her tail curling with the action, let it out in a rush, and knocked firmly on the door with one balled fist.

The door opened almost immediately, almost before Antimony could withdraw her hand from the door, but a monumentally tall and broad woman in white leather gear, ornate lance across her back. The dusky woman looked down on Antimony, ears standing up through hair lighter than her skin. From out the door came a warmth and a smell of incense and habitation, the sound of discourse and music played on wind instruments.

The woman who had opened the door said, "What?"

"What?" Antimony echoed and then very rapidly corrected herself, ears and tail twitching wildly before she regained some control and cleared her throat. Her hands she clasped in front of her, below her waist, and she gave a brief, shallow bow of her head before attempting the routine with someone she hoped would be more reasonable: "Greetings!" No, too cheery; oh she was no good at this... "I've come on behalf of the Commerce Regulation Agency, as a representative of the, ah, will of the Grand Companies. I'm here to continue my assigned investigation - ah, here, you can see my papers of authorization--" she had dug out the papers with their official seals and orders as she spoke and now held them in front of her, towards the massive, armored woman, "--and as part of this, I require a meeting with your nunh to arrange access to certain documents in search of a resolution. I would very much appreciate it if you could direct me to him."

"He's busy. I'm not authorized to look at your paperwork." The response was wooden, though the woman's thick, sappy voice held the slightest measure of deliberate disregard.

A faint shudder traveled through Antimony's tail, one of absolute frustration. "Is NO ONE authorized to look at paperwork in this forsaken place?" She exclaimed, huffing and resisting the urge to twist the papers in her hands. "Please retrieve someone who can," she added stiffly.

"Control yourself," the woman said, somewhat muttering. There were normal-sized women in white outfits mingling behind her. The wooden woman said, "Everyone is busy. What is the nature of this investigation?"

"Financial in nature," Antimony answered, her eyes flicking past the large woman to the area beyond. Her nose twitched at the strong smells wafting through the air there. The strangeness of it, and the towering height and stoic expression of the woman left Antimony feeling small. They were intimidating her without any effort! She couldn't let this continue. "The Dodo tribe has fallen under the umbrella of a corruption trail I am tasked with following. I highly suggest you allow me to do my job, so that things end well for everyone involved."

The woman's ears lilted downward. She turned to look behind her at the others, perhaps conferred something between them with glances. Her long tail swung out of the door for a moment, and then away again. Finally, she nodded, stepped outside, and closed the door behind her. "I understand. Who did you say you worked for again?"

She did not glance past Antimony, keeping her eyes on the woman. Though if she had, she would've seen two more women in white armor -- the tribe's "huntresses" -- speaking briefly with the thin woman by the fountain, whom pointed at Antimony as she spoke.

Antimony frowned in consternation as the door shut - the exact opposite of what she'd wanted! But at least the woman - a guard? - was still talking, and not just to say "get out".

"The Commerce Regulation Agency," she repeated and then thought on her words before attempting to sound as professional as possible, "We've authority in economical matters that undermine the functioning of the Grand Companies. Unfortunately, such is the case in this investigation."

"So you mean to imply that our Tribe has participated in some form of financial corruption?" the woman said, her sticky voice unchanged, tone still flat and lukewarm. Behind Antimony, the two huntresses that had been talking to the thin woman turned towards the large tower and walked at a measured pace, side by side.

"Only that it has become involved somehow." She knew better than to go tossing out accusations - it wasn't her place anyway; she only handled the paperwork. "Or at least, so the trail has lead. And that is why I require access to your Tribe's records and individuals of authority, so that I may sort it out." She gave a little nod at the end of that, satisfied with her explanation. Still her tail twitched nervously behind her.

The large woman crossed her limbs over her trunk, "Your organization is trying to insert itself into Syndicate business."

Blinking at that, Antimony's ears swiveled as though searching for an answer. Then she folded her arms in front of her and frowned up at the guard woman. "I said nothing of the Syndicate," she protested uneasily. "But! It is my - our - job to... ah, insert ourselves into other people's business."

The woman finally looked up from Antimony as the two other Huntresses came within earshot. She projected her voice, though oddly it didn't seem to become any louder, "She says she needs access to the Nunh and our records in order to stage a financial investigation."

"Oh, that's rather pushy," remarked one, smiling, blonde hair puffing out so thick around her head that her ears were nearly concealed inside. The other, a brunette, watched Antimony with suspicion.

Her tail fuzzed dramatically at the new voices, and Antimony made a hasty half-turn to look to them, then back to the woman in front of her. "I would not have to be so pushy if you would simply let me do my job, as I am legally entitled and you are legally bound!" she protested vehemently. Despite this bravado, her grey ears sat back against her head.

The smiling woman with the puffy mane chuckled, "You can't just assert your authority to people with no context for it! That'll never stand up!"

The wooden woman said, "She has papers, but we're not authorized to look at them."

"She should've brought something to drink," the other joked.

The suspicious one said, "Or some muscle," with an unexpected air of hostility.

"To drink? What would..? Ah..." Antimony flinched at the third's words and then tried to drive some steel into her spine, straightening forcibly. "If you do not cooperate presently, I will return with greater... greater clout! It is against the law to interfere with investigations of this nature."

The grumpy huntress rolled her eyes, "Can I throw her off the bridge?"

And the dandelion-headed one held up a soothing hand, "Probably not."

"Grand Companies," said the wooden woman, looming over them all.

"See," the blonde said to the grump. "So, no, you can't."

The grump grumped.

Bristling with anxiety, Antimony swung her gaze back and forth between the pair and the larger woman. Her tail had worked its way against one leg and now curled there, the tip of it shivering. "No, you can't!" She huffed indignantly, and with no small amount of concern. "You can let me in so that I can do my job!"

The three women were quiet for a long moment. The grumpy one watched the very large one while the blonde smiled at some private thought. The wooden women leaned her head forward, dark hair falling over her features, and stamped one to as she pondered. At length, she finally said, "So. You're under arrest."

"Thank you," the grumpy woman stomped forward and took Antimony by both wrists.

"What!" Antimony squeaked, instinctively flinching away from the hands grabbing at her wrists. Her voice pitched higher than usual as she forced out, "On what grounds? I've--I've done nothing wrong. I have every paper I need to be present here. In fact.. in fact this is wrong! You unhand me--" She frowned at the grumpy woman and tried to look more inconvenienced than frightened, to dubious effect.

The grumpy woman just restrained Antimony without comment. It was the dandelion headed one who laughed, "On what grounds? We aren't on the ground! Don't need grounds above the fifth floor, you know!"

That twist of logic was enough to throw Antimony into silence for several seconds. Then, as she worked her way through it, she went back to protesting, "That is not how the system works! I know - I've read the books." She tugged at the grumpy woman's grip, felt her heart fluttering frantically in her chest. None of these ladies looked like law enforcement, of that she was almost certain.

Shackles were placed most unkindly on Antimony's wrists despite her protests, while dandelion-head said, "Oh, sorry. I meant that we're rich! Power is depth of pocket, you know, and your pockets no deeper than papers you can't make us read."

The grumpy woman growled, "Stop laughing. Have some tact." She then took Antimony by one shoulder and began to walk her away from the tower, "Come on."

Antimony cast a confounded stare at the wooden woman as she was forcibly turned about. "This is unlawful! Not only do you have no grounds, you--you have no authority to do this!" She resisted the walking as best she could, shivering at the feel of the binds about her wrists and trying to ignore the faint lightness in her head. "You're not law enforcement - you're only... private security at best! I will see these actions reprimanded."

"I can still throw you off the bridge," muttered the grumpy woman, which the puffy-haired one chuckled at. She fell in line behind Antimony and her captor to follow her out. The wooden woman just sighed and turned back to return to the tower.

Biting back the objection that had automatically begun bubbling up in the back of her throat, for what good would it do now? In her silence, that anxious, buzzing panic grew in prominence, and Antimony felt herself sway in shock. Arrested? Her? For... doing her job? By people who could not possibly be following the law in this matter?

Her tail tucked closer against the inside of one leg and after a whirl of thoughts and harried, worried indignation, she managed, "Where are you taking me?"

The grumpy one said, "Ground floor. Brass Blades. They'll worry about what you're getting charged with."

As they walked into the square and turned towards a different bridge, the very thin woman smirked at Antimony, and waved smally.

"There is nothing to charge me with," Antimony muttered the words once more, weakly, catching sight of the thin, brown woman from earlier and ducking her head away.

The dandelion-haired Miqo'te waved to the thin woman, mistakenly believing it was she who was being waved at, and answered Antimony happily, "There's always something!"

It was useless to try and counter that assertion, Antimony knew. Instead, she bowed her head and tried not to hyperventilate as the two miqo'te walked her across the courtyard to wherever the ground floor was.

That would be down the way Anti came, a stairwell attached to the courtyard. Brass Blades were never far away, and once Antimony was handed off to them, she'd be carted away to a holding cell where bogus charges would be leveled against her. Not that anyone ever told her what those charges were. At which point, Antimony would silently panic because her blustering skills don't work so good when she's actually in jail for reals. She would manage a few weak threats and words of chastisement to the Blades handling her "booking", but these were brushed off as though she'd not said a single thing. Antimony wished for K'airos.

RE: Is it legal or are we just rich? - Naunet - 03-11-2014

Antimony had not enjoyed her time in one of Ul'dah's jails so far. There were no windows for her to keep track of time, hardly any light save for a single torch on each end of the hall of cells she occupied, and the place filled her nose with scents of rot, old water, and urine. A day had passed already, and she had not demonstrated any inclination to move herself from the corner she had tucked herself into, as far away from any other jail denizens she could manage. There she sat with her legs folded beneath her, trying not to panic that she would never see the light of day again.

Lamandu walked down the row of cells, his stride short but quick as glanced into each one grimacing occasionally at the characters within them, before spying an elder miqo'te obviously shrunken into herself, terrified of the very walls around her, "Antimony. I'm sorry to see that you've found yourself a new home..." he frowned slightly at the thought.

Ears laid back against her skull, tail tucked away out of sight, Antimony started and lifted her head sharply towards the cell door. When she recognized the visitor, relief washed over her features and she scrambled unsteadily to her feet. "Captain Tyremandu! I can hardly believe... ah thank you! I knew someone would straighten everything out..." Though her words were hopeful, her tone suggested that she had worried she'd remain here for the rest of her life.

The man reached up to stroke his small goatee thoughtfully, "The charges against you are serious, Miss Antimony. Trespassing on the Dodo's compound? Now why would you have been doing that. Surely it wasn't on a whim!"

Antimony's ears sought to disappear into her disheveled hair, and she clutched her hands together in front of her, wringing them in distress. "Ill--illegitimate charges! I had every right to be... well, it's not my fault they refused to look at my papers!" She approached the barred door warily, as though suspecting it would shock her, and gave Lamandu a rather pathetic look. "You've straightened it all out, surely...? You are a captain in the Brass Blades.."

The hand paused in mid stroke, before dropping down, "That doesn't just mean that I can wave my hand and make things go away. Now, what sort of Captain would that make me? The Dodos are an influential bunch and they aren't happy with what happened... I came down here to chat with you and make sure you're as comfortable as can be. Perhaps another blanket? Pillow?"

Her tail shivered and tucked itself against the inside of one leg as her mouth fell open silently for several seconds. "But..." She swallowed, looked faint, and spoke just as faintly, "I was there legally…"

Sharp brows snapped together, "It’s a gated community, though that meaning is less literal these days, they are within their rights to remove others from the premises if they feel the need. I assume you were there with good reason though? At least, I should hope..."

Sagging, Antimony twisted the bottom of her tunic in her hands. "You do not understand... What did they do with my papers?" She looked around worriedly, fearful of both the shadows and the fate of her belongings. "I had... have direct order from my employer to be there! If they would just check my papers..."

D'hein strutted on in the direction of the place, taking long strides and swinging his arms happily. He smiled as though going out for coffee and cakes. "Now, I think this is good. Illira did say you needed work and Antimony's just the most pleasant person to work with! You might even fall for her, but don't do that. Against policy."

A dark-haired elezen, Amaury, behind him nodded. His steps were far from each other, but only because he was quite tall. "I shall keep that in mind, but I am more worried about the Brass Blades general treatment of prisoners right now."

“Well, yes, and that's what we're trying to- wait.”

D'hein snapped his gaze back to Amaury, looking distressed, "Are you saying they might not have taken good care of her?"

Amaury let out a sympathetic shrug, if such a thing was possible. "I mean that for the charges filled, they probably left her in a cell and forgot about her completely."

“Unthinkable! They may be corrupt hoods bent on the selfish undermining of civilization, but they also have a moral prerogative to take care of those in their care! And Antimony's adorable! She's like a bunny! Imagine finding a helpless bunny and just not feeding it. Can you imagine? No, of course you can't!”

“You forget I was thrown into the Blades' care,” the tall man intoned. “Helpless, unfed bunnies are what they threw in the most.

“That was a long time ago, and besides, you're not adorable,” the tia explained. “Between you and I, you need to do something about your wardrobe, and polish those pupils of yours to a more upper-class twinkle. Your motivation is "boyish". Go for boyish.”

Off to their right, a lithe Keeper in dusky skin, purple clothes, and tall leather boots speedwalked by, overhearing some snippet of conversation.

“ ...I'll keep that in mind,” the elezen was saying, “but a wardrobe change requires funding that I lack. I'm afraid society will have to endure my current looks for some time.”

“Wait, who's a bunny now?” the Keeper intruded. “I've been called cat before, but that'd be a new one. Was it you, punk?” She pointed at D’hein.

D'hein looked past Amaury to the Keeper, and said, "No. I'm talking about someone far more adorable and warm than any present, not that I lack warmth. But mine is more the warmth of fresh bread wrapped in silk and you, I think, a stove on a cold night. Accurate?"

Amaury kept quiet while he processed how weird D'hein was.

“Oh, uh, I thought you meant me. Sorry for calling you a "punk." But then who did you mean? A lover, perhaps? Or just your mother?”

D'hein held up a finger, "Ah, let's not label her. Appreciate her for her identity first and let her label herself! Though she's not my mother. And what of you who radiates as a kiln? Sharp ears you have."

The brown-haired Keeper paused for a moment, as if choosing her words. "What of me? I'm just a career adventurer who heard an adventure calling! Yes, perhaps I was drawn to warmth of which you speak, as a moth to a flame." She chuckled to herself, thinking she did a pretty good job of playing along on the spot.

D'hein turned to the Keeper, bowed slightly. He smiled at the girl and said smoothly, "If you are a moth, you are a soft and dusky one, elegant adorned of wing and antenna. I see you come with a stinger, though, as is respectable in Ul'dah." 

She paused for less of a moment, this time retorting quickly. "Why, of course! What good is an insect without at least a little poison?" ...That didn't quite come out how she'd wanted it to.

“Excuse my haste,” Amaury intruded, “but I feel like we shouldn't delay our current task. I can only imagine the fear and anxiety Miss Antimony must be feeling in her cell.”

D'hein nodded, smiling, "I respect a lady with a sufficiently point proboscis! That... doesn't sound flattering in retrospect." He glanced up to Amaury, then back to the Keeper, "The angular ex-con to my right is correct. My warmth must hasten into the shadows to free the bunny. The moth may follow if she is so entranced.” He let the girl see a sly smirk before turning away towards the Brass Blades jail place.

“Very well! I am a bug- I mean, adventurer of many talents! Perhaps I can help your little endeavor.”

Amaury didn’t add anything to the exchange.

Lamandu sighed, "Perhaps they will turn up. None are in your file; I just reviewed it before I came down here. What were your orders and from who, the CRA? Perhaps I can run things down for you if I know more of your side of the story..."

Her ears shook low. "I was attempting to continue my investigation," she mumbled and then with an imploring look to Tyremandu, "Please. There must be something you can do...! Surely they can't just...!"

"You're investigation? The Dodos are upstanding citizens of the city-state, surely they wouldn't be part of any ill-doing!"

"Well, I..." Her grey brows knitted together behind her glasses. "It's not my place to make assumptions or... accusations. I'm only following information." She hesitated and then kind of wilted. "Was..."

At around this time D'hein lead his followers through the office, did talky-blah-blah stuff with the Brass Blades to get into the cells (as a member of a Syndicate-affiliated tribe, this was easy for him) and made his way in looking for Antimony. Jana remained a step behind the silly weirdo, mentally taking note of what he said and how he got them in through the front door and not through the back.

"Perhaps you should have sought out an escort then, if you're work leads you to this sort of end... I'm very disappointed to see a distinguished lady as yourself languish behind these bars." The lalafell tutted quietly under his breath, shaking his head in disappointment.

"Now I know of only one lady who could remain distinguished in such circumstances!" D'hein proclaimed as he walked up behind Lamandu. Then he thought, "Actually, a few. But. Besides the point."

Amaury throws a disgusted glare at each cell as they walked. "Brings back memories." he muttered.

Antimony’s shoulders slumped with the slow realizing that Lamandu wasn't actually here to get her out. A beat went by and then D'hein was suddenly there. She nearly jumped in shock, staring at him with a slightly open mouth.

Looking up at the coming voices, Lamandu frowned, a crease forming on his brow.

Smirking, D'hein chose to loom over Lamandu, briefly, before moving past him to the side of the cell and standing nearly up against it. "Hello, Antimony. Tell me they've treated you excellently! I've been worried to the point of distraction!" Amaury kept his eyes firmly on the lalafell without turning his head down. He stopped behind him, slightly to D'hein's side. And then he said nothing.

Not to be brushed aside, Lamandu said loudly, "And who would you be?" He then glanced at the other giants now surrounding him, "The whole lot of you!"

The accompanying Keeper woman almost began introducing herself, but thought twice, given that it looked like she might be participating in a jailbreak, and stayed quiet.

"I..." Green eyes flicked to the two followers-on that came with D'hein, then back to the tia. She wavered in silence for a moment and then the floodgates seemed to open, her grip on her tunic twisting painfully, "It was horrible! I was only doing my job and I had all of the necessary paperwork but everyone I spoke to refused to look at the paperwork even though it would demonstrate quite clearly that I was allowed to be there, but they were quite rude at wanting me gone, so I persisted, and I was only trying to do my job and complete the investigation as you said, we couldn't afford to delay any further but they refused to look at my papers and one of them threatened to throw me off the bridge! And then they arrested me! For trespassing! And threw me in here and I cannot believe they would not just look at my papers, just left me in this horrid place without food or water or--or legal standing! And I think they've burned my records and..." Her breath failed her then, so she fell silent, shoulders shaking.

D'hein kept eye contact with Antimony the whole time, looking sympathetic, and he reached a hand through the bars at length. "You poor woman. This is quite unjust."

The Keeper shook her head.

Antimony had been twisting up her tunic until it was bunched up by her stomach. At D'hein's words, she suddenly let it go and exclaimed, "That is what I've been trying to tell them!"

"I didn't think people cared about papers so much in this kind of place," the dust-colored Keeper Jana muttered.

Very slowly, Amauri looked down to Lamandu. "We are with the CRA, captain, and I sure hope you were here to release this woman. Her incarceration by the Brass Blades was illegal in the first place."

The Keeper caught on quickly (or at least thought she did) and filled in beside the two men, crossing her arms and trying to look like hired muscle.

Lamandu frowned deeply, making a stern gesture with his hand for the group to back up, "Please, step back from the cell if you would. Antimony is here on charges of trespassing and disturbing the peace. The particular compound she was in takes such things quite seriously, and they are pressing charges. If you wish to act as her legal counsel, you'll have to arrange that upstairs. This is not the appropriate place for such."

Antimony shut her mouth sharply, casting a worried look towards Lamandu.

D’hein left one hand in the cell as he turned to address everyone at once, "Now, now! Let's stop the posturing and enable discourse. Everyone please introduce yourself to everyone else. Like this: I am D'hein, a member of the Dodo tribe, salaried aide to the Syndicate and on the board of the Commerce Regulation Agency. Just like that, everyone."

"I am Amaury. I am...D'hein's assistant for the time being."

"And I am J... Jhanah, an aide as well.”

"Then you should have been there to escort her... D'hein." Lamandu's lips pinched together firmly.

"Escort me..." Antimony muttered faintly, "He's here to release me." Then looking to D'hein pleadingly, "You're here to release me?"

Looking up towards Amaury, D'hein said, "Ah, actually, you need to take initiative. I cannot actually act here because of the obvious conflict of interest, so you need to wield the CRA's authority. I won't even advise. I'll just imply very heavily that you have every reason and ability to free the bunny. I mean. Antimony." He answered Antimony with a smile.

"Hmm... Such an excellent person you are,” Lamandu shook his head.

"Ah, naturally." Amaury nodded, then looked at Lamandu again. "I'll be brief, captain, for everyone here is a busy person. Miss Antimony was accused and imprisoned by a supposed crime in the Hustings Strip, correct?"

The Keeper gave Antimony a quick glance as D'hein spoke, thinking the older woman looked a bit more mousy than bunny-y.

"She is here on the charges that I stated, if that is what you mean,” Lamandu replied evenly.

The Elezen smirked. "Charges that couldn't be filled and processed by the Brass Blades: the Hustings Strip is jurisdiction to the Sultansworn and the Sultansworn only. At the very most, this woman should have been handed to them as soon as the crime was reported to you."

Antimony waited in anxious silence, tail shivering between her legs, hands wrapped about one another up by her chest.

"I am not her handling officer,” the lalafell explained, “though from what I understand, the Sultansworn had their hands full that day. They tend to have other things to attend than disputes of this nature. It is common for them to fall to the Brass Blades."

Jana briefly wondered to herself whether she should shiv the guard and run or run and turn to shoot, not really knowing anything about what's being spoken.

"Yes, I'm sure the Sultansworn have a lot of trouble with middle-aged women knocking at the doors of the noblemen,” Amaury said dryly. “But regardless, the time you could hold her up has legally expired. None of the required paperwork to hold her up longer exists, and so you must do as the law demands."

Antimony looked up at Amaury, hopeful. Jana also looked up at Amaury, hopeful for a different reason.

"You have not even read the file on her case, or you would not be down here at the moment. Unless you intend to take her out on bail, I suggest you do your homework instead of simply blustering your way through procedure. I am not her arresting officer, simply an interested party. Now, if you would... Mister... what did you say your name was?" Lamandu squinted up at the exceedingly tall man.

Amaury frowned. "Then I should not waste this woman's time discussing this with you." Looking at Antimony, he added: "I would recommend against discussing your investigation at this moment, or in front of this man. I shall come back soon with your freedom and a written apology."

Keeping her ears and tail low, Antimony nodded.

Amaury walked off towards somewhere! Possibly!

Smiling staticly, D'hein muttered. "Well, that's a helpful fellow." And then, to Antimony, "Ah, Antimony, I don't believe you took a turn to introduce yourself. There's a stranger among us." He gestured to Jana.

The Keeper watched Amaury walk off, unsure of whether he was actually coming back with papers or with a shiv, her right hand reaching for her hip.

Lamandu frowned judiciously at the departing Elezen.

“Ah-! Oh, I am J'Ahnah." Was that what she had said before? Whatever. "I'm here to help, a hired hand, sort of." She had hired herself.

Antimony followed Amaury's exit with her eyes, then the door he disappeared through. She didn’t seem to hear D'hein's words at first, and then shook herself. "Ah...?" She blinked at "J'Ahnah". "That... nnh." It took a second or two more for her to recollect her thoughts and then she just bowed her head and said lowly, "Antimony Jhanhi, miss."

“J’ahnah” flashed Antimony a wink. "I'm sure we can do proper introductions when Amuro is back with those papers."

Her brow wrinkling in confusion, Antimony nodded slowly. "Ah... I... suppose? This isn't exactly..." She sighed and looked down at herself and the dirty, damp floor beneath her feet.

Turning down to Lamandu, D'hein said, "And you?"

“I realize you're not at your best, but worry not! We will figure it out." She winked again, this time more overt. Antimony didn’t look like she understood Jana much more the second time than the first. But... things couldn't possibly get any worse, right?

"Hmm?" The lalafel appeared to be ignoring most of the conversation around him. He walked over to a guard looking down the corridor of cells, speaking to him for a moment before returning, "I am sorry. I must be going," He frowned slightly at the wall of Miqo'te before pressing his way between them.

Chuckling, D'hein said, "We will remember your helpfulness, anonymous Lalafel."

"And I so appreciate your professionalism and respect for my job... D'hein." Lamandu said sarcastically.

"Ah! I'm glad someone does! I don't get enough appreciation!"

“J’ahnah”  exhaled, her right hand wandering away from her hip.

Lamandu frowned, squinting at the impeccably dressed man, "Hmm. I see you are one who understands subtlety..."

"Such high praise!" He beamed, getting around Lamandu and waving to him, "I look forward to a long and professional relationship, sir!"

Antimony just kept quiet, taking Amaury's words to heart - doubly so and just not saying anything about anything to anyone.

Simply looking confused for a moment, Lamandu shook his head and walked towards the exit.

“J’ahnah”  spoke in a  low voice, "So 'get the papers' wasn't code for 'start a riot'?"

D'hein crossed his arms over his chest and smiled at “J’ahnah”, "No, no. Not this time."

"Seems I don't have the right set of talents for this job."

"Never underestimate the value of a proboscis-at-the-ready! Anyway, I thought you were just following me because you liked me!"

"Liked you? I wouldn't say it's totally untrue-" Oh shit, was this another love confession? "Oh no no no, you've got it all wrong. See, I get this kind of thing a lot, so I'm very sorry if you had the wrong idea, I don-" The Keeper woman stumbled back.

Hugging herself, Antimony watches D'hein and “J’ahnah” with a confused look.

D'hein blinked confusedly, frowned. "I'm not sure what you mean."

"You're not? Then please, don't worry about it."

"If you say so."

“J’ahnah” shrugged at D'hein.

Amaury returned then, just in time to witness the ending of awkwardness in the room (that D’hein never noticed). Antimony's gaze snapped immediately to Amaury. Too frightened to be hopeful, she searched his expression for some kind of sign. The elezen let out a cough. "There was some actual paperwork. I was surprised. However, considering it's a first offense there's not enough reason to keep Miss Antimony behind the bars."

"Of course not, considering I talked the Dodoes into dropping the charges before I came down here. I thought I'd mentioned that."

Eyeing D'hein, Antimony muttered faintly, "You did not..."

"Ah, I see. That would... explain the apparent conflict of the previous conversation," the tia mused.

“J’ahnah” briefly wondered if her way would have been more efficient. "So, do we have a key and everything? We can walk out, hassle-free?"

"It would be most helpful to have all the information before such things happen, yes," Amaury nodded.

A Brass Blade who had followed Amaury back arrived and opened Antimony's cell between some grumpy noises. She leaned away from the Blade; then, when he just opened the door and moved off to one side, she stepped hesitantly forward.

“J’ahnah” nodded to the older woman, "Good, then I can assume the que- I mean, you've succeded?"

D'hein pounced forward and hugged Antimony, sensing an appropriate time to maybe do so kind of at least you know he might get away with it. "I was so concerned!"

Amaury questioned the audacity of the action in silence.

“J’ahnah” tried not to be too obvious as she looked away, blushing a little.

Antimony had been watching “J’ahnah” and about to speak when D'hein all but tackled her. She staggered but didn’t fall (alright, thanks to him), and then just stood there for a bit looking uncertain. "I, ah... thank you?" One hand moved up to awkwardly pat at his shoulder.

"I imagine Miss Antimony is eager to leave this place." the elezen said.

He squeezed Antimony and then let go of her, spinning 270 degrees the wrong direction to face Amaury and said, "Well handled! I'll need you to perform similar duties in the future, since I can't touch the situation and Illira refuses to do so.”

At that Antimony blanched. "Similar... this could happen again..??”

"I know." he nods.

"No, I mean the business side of things,” D’hein assured. “I can't oversee your investigation, since I'm part of the institution that you're investigating."

"I suppose I should make myself available as a hired hand, should you ever need such a thing," “J’ahnah” offered.

"We should not discuss this in a cellblock,"Amaury suggested.

"Yes, you're right...” the Keeper corrected herself. “We should get somewhere more civilized."

Antimony blinked at Amaury and then paled further, if such a thing were possible. "Oh no... my papers. All of my--please tell me they still have it..!"

D’hein crossed his arms and nodded, one ear swiveling as though to listen to the ceiling while his other maintained its casual poise. "Right! Her papers are most certainly something I should not touch."

“J’ahnah” wasn't sure if he meant it or was sarcastically suggesting the papers be given to him!

"I'm afraid any kind of paperwork you had is lost."

Swaying on her feet, Antimony managed after a moment, "Alright. That... oh dear."

D'hein reached out to steady Antimony about the shoulders, "Ah, surely we can just make fresh copies!"

"What's wrong? No one really cares about papers in this city anyway, so now you can do things normally."

Amaury smirked at the Keeper. "And that's why you are an adventurer and not a politician." Then, he looked at the exit. "Let's step out, yes? This is the second time I say we should not discuss this here and we do need to discuss this."

Antimony's shoulders slumped under D'hein's hands. When the Keeper spoke, she blinked towards her. "Normal...?" She shook her head, reached up to pinch the bridge of her nose, and just took a few slow, steadying breaths.

"Oh yeah, right,” “J’ahnah” hummed. “Anyway, if you need me, I'll hang around with you folks. You seem interesting, so I may yet get my adventure."

“Hrm,” D’hein mused. “That's a very surface view of things, miss moth. While the very bottom-most and very utmost portions of society behave as though they have no use for law, they are still part of a society based upon it, and in their hearts they know it can unmake them."

"I would very much like to leave this place," Antimony mumbled lowly, nodding at Amaury.

Amaury gestured to the exit. "Then shall we?"

The tia hummed once more, ears shifting, and said, "Ah, very well. Antimony and I will return to her apartment to get her cleaned up and comfortable, and then we should meet somewhere more comfortable to discuss this."

"If that is what the lady wishes."

Antimony let out a faint sigh, followed by a nod. "Yes. Please."

D'hein squeezed Antimony across the shoulders, "Don't worry. You're fine now. Let's get you out of here." And he goes to walk her out. And all the way home.”

“J’ahnah” skipped ahead of the other three as they exit and whipped around to face them!

D'hein was worrying over Antimony as though he were cradling an injured bunny. Antimony was generally oblivious of all of this, though the moment they stepped outside the jail, she regained some color.

"Before we go our separate ways,” the Keeper began, “I thought I should set the record straight on one thing! My name is Jana, Jana Ridah. Master-at-arms, student of magic, and professional adventurer!”

Amaury chuckled once, looking more blinded by the magic lights rather than impressed. "In this city, it is quite good to have that many titles."

Flinching at the sudden rush of magic, Antimony held one hand up as though to ward off something, cowering back with an exclaimed, "What demons--" she cut herself off, however, when she realized it was just the Keeper.

D'hein was significantly impressed! "A well-adorned moth, shimmering in the light of Thanalan as though a good omen to bless our futures! You should stick to Amaury so that he can find work for you and we can meet again." He smiled at Jana.

"Don't be startled! It's just the countenance of a profesional adventurer at work!" At D’hein’s words, she gave a firm thumbs up.

"I'm sure I can find something for her." Amaury smiled at Jana as well.

"Great! I'll be looking forward to working with you!"

Holding Antimony by her far shoulder, D'hein patted her arm and said, "Home then, Antimony?"

"Ah... yes." Shaking her ears to dispel whatever thoughts had cluttered her head, she smiled a bit at Jana and then just made to continue on.

Amaury moved to Jana and nodded once. "Now then, if you would be so kind as to come with me, we can talk what you are good at besides exemplary introductions..."

"Oh, sure. I can do a lot more than be flashy, if you give me a chance!"

D'hein kept up with her, maintaining physical contact. Yep.

"Oops, that one kinda slipped out."

Amaury chuckled at the latest show of lights. "You make a strong case. This way, if you will." he said, pointing to the street. Jana simply nodded, quieting herself down. Finally, she'd get some real work!

RE: Is it legal or are we just rich? - Naunet - 03-13-2014

D'hein stayed with Antimony all the way back to her room. Right there with her, in contact, as though afraid she might fall or crumble to pieces if he were to distance himself. He was doing his part in contributing to that illusion by treating her as fragile, as any gentleman must do with an elegant lady as Antimony surely was. Even if she hadn't quite clued in to aesthetics and etiquette, surely she had at least a lady's soul.

When they did reach her room in the Quicksand, D'hein broke from her long enough to open the door on her behalf -- as any gentleman must, for her weakened fingers my shatter if she were to attempt it herself, or something -- and move to usher her in. "Refuge, rest, and all manner of comfort shall be prepared for you," he said.

Lady's soul or not - and there were some who would argue the latter - Antimony allowed D'hein's treatment for the duration of the walk back to the Quicksand. If this allowance was more due to her hunger and thirst (the Blades didn't exactly treat their prisoners well, so she had found), or her worry for her career (was this a permanent mark? Did she have a criminal record now? How could she possibly hope to ever find work again!), or a desperate, longing need for the comfort of K'airos (her baby girl could make every worry vanish with a single smile), didn't exactly matter. Maybe she allowed it because D'hein had, over a short time, demonstrated himself as a decent person, but that might have been only one of many reasons.

She came to realize he'd brought her back to her inn room after several seconds of standing within its small walls. The warm yellow tones of the lamp she'd either left on or D'hein had managed brought some measure of comfort, and she let out a slow breath. Another beat later, she finally processed his words and blinked before turning quickly to the tia, shaking her hands in front of her. "Oh no, no I couldn't possibly ask you to--this is quite enough, thank you. I appreciate everything you've ah, done and... well, it's not as though there's much to take care of here! I'll be fine."

Having wandered into the room to light it, D'hein returned and placed a hand on Antimony's shoulder. He gestured with one finger as though he were lecturing her. "Now, it is my prerogative to ensure we live in a balanced and just world. The unfortunate treatment you've received at the hands of my tribe mates leaves me in the position of having to dote on you doubly or more until the balance has just been righted. There's nothing that can be done to avoid such necessity."

Antimony fought back a grimace that forced its way out in a slight twitching at one corner of her mouth. Her tail writhed busily behind her. "I'm not nearly so fragile as to need... I mean, that is--not that I'm ungrateful! It's only... oh, I don't blame you at all for their actions! You have no need to feel obligated to me and I will just--ah, get some food and a change of clothes and... and find Airos, and I will be just fine." She nodded firmly.

Crossing his arms over his chest, D'hein said firmly, "I won't have you traipsing about the city without having your rest first. You're likely to make yourself sick if you don't see to your health and comfort, by which I mean I'll see to your health and comfort and you'll have a meal, a bath and a nap."

"Two of those I can't possibly accept your supervision of," Antimony stammered and shook her head, her ears laying back flat.

The Dodo appeared confused. "Which two?"

"Which--which two??" She could feel the fur along her tail prickling in an uncontrollable agitation and stammered for a moment longer before very suddenly stilling. Taking a slow, deep breath, Antimony closed her eyes a moment and tried to reign in whatever nerves were still frazzled by her prison (jail? Was there a difference really?) experience. "I appreciate your concern and everything--well, everything you have done for me so far," she said after a pause, "but I'm fully capable of caring for myself after this matter. It... it was only a minor incident. Just... minor!" One ear twitched.

"I don't doubt your ability to care for yourself, but I still plan to be annoying," D'hein said, looking around the room and finding the box of items he had gifted Antimony with prior. He goes to it, searching. "Now, where is a comb? We should comb out your hair so that it washes properly."

"Minor, really!" Her voice squeaked faintly and she hurried after D'hein towards the box where it still sat on a small end table by the bed. Her hands unconsciously brushed at the loose strands of hair she could tell were running wild after her night in the cell. Then they moved to hover over D'hein's back anxiously as she repeated, "Really! You don't need to be he--to do this, alright? Not that.. not that it's annoying - I would never accuse you of such, but... Truly, this isn't needed and..." Her eyes cast about, landing on a few stacks of papers sitting upon a small desk across the room. "... And I would much rather immediately get to work replacing all of the documents those... Brass Blades bur--lost. Yes? It is important, after all."

"Telling me that you intend to go back to work immediately does nothing but convince my all the more of the need for care," D'hein replied, sounding cheerful again.

Her ears splayed out in opposite directions from her head at those words, D'hein's cheer countered by the sudden set of her jaw and pursed, anxious lips. She made to take hold of one arm to turn him around towards her. "Now look--look here." She hesitated, furrowing her brow at the tia and the voice that told her it was probably rude to just flat refuse such genuine offers of help. "I appreciate that you want to help me - I truly.. truly do! But. What I need is a moment to myself, to--ah, to take care of myself. And..." Revelation lit her eyes suddenly and she felt herself trying to pull D'hein away from the table, back with her towards the door. "The best thing you can do for me is to find Airos and send her here. That's what I need right now!"

Letting himself be turned around, D'hein looked down on Antimony. He frowned, appeared conflicted. One ear swiveled back as his lips twisted. "It's a big city. I'm not sure I can find K'airos if I don't know where to look. And I have difficulty abandoning you without first assuring that you're fed and resting."

"She--well, she's a Brass Blade... surely she would be--somewhere!" That was rather a useless observation, but it was the best she had. Truthfully, she had no idea where K'airos went and what she did when her daughter wasn't with her. A sharp pang of guilt stung in her gut at that; she should try to learn more about what her baby girl did during her days. What kind of mother was she that she allowed herself to be so overwhelmed by her daughters presence that she failed at showing interest in anything else about her daughter?

Antimony's ears drooped and her hands holding onto D'hein's sleeve twisted in the fabric in a common display of distress. "How can I not know what my baby girl does for her work!" She cried out.

"You... she..." D'hein looked to one side, then back to Antimony. After a moment's pondering, he said, "Love is not a check-list and you're not going to be tested on such things. At any rate, she normally works in Drybone, so I don't know where she would be in Ul'dah either."

Antimony shook her head at that but said nothing further on the matter. What D'hein didn't know was that there was a test, and its name was K'aijeen. Or D... Her heart twisted. "Please, just leave me be for now," she sighed, dropping her eyes to the stitching in the fabric she clutched at. "If you must, you may... ah, visit later."

"I'm going to bring food and check back soon to make sure you aren't trying to do any work."

"Yes, yes, alright," she muttered at the cloth, and then straightened, her hands once again urging him back towards the door. "Alright," she repeated with a bit more energy.

Letting himself be moved with mild reluctance, D'hein said, "And what are you going to be doing?"

"Taking care of myself," Antimony assured and made to open the door for him.

"I'll be back with food in an hour." D'hein permitted himself to be pushed out the door, standing in the hallway.

She watched him for a moment, one hand on the door, and then shook her tail. "... Yes, alright. Thank you," she murmured the last two words as she turned and shut the door with a soft click.

Pressing her back against the cool wood, Antimony let herself sag into a sigh once she was alone. Rest was certainly appealing, for she hadn't slept a wink during her night in that cell, but she couldn't stop her eyes from drifting to the carefully organized stacks of papers awaiting her attention on the room's small desk.

Well, taking care of herself also meant doing her job.

RE: Is it legal or are we just rich? - Naunet - 03-14-2014

D'hein tried to be punctual, neither too earlier nor at all late on his one-hour return to Antimony's room. He initially came back to the Quicksand after half an hour but decided that was too early. He placed the order for Antimony's food fifteen minutes before going to her room so that it would be fresh when he brought it to her. When, five minutes before the hour, the food was not ready, D'hein flew into an animated panic that frightened several patrons who assumed that someone had been poisoned.

Unable to find the servant D'hein had placed the order with, the Tia desperately placed the order with every server, insisting each be rushed. Five minutes after the hour, as D'hein sat at the bar in a nervous sweat and turned aside inquiries as to his well-being, D'hein found himself delivered seven orders of food.

Not being a fan of waste, D'hein chose to take all seven of them, plus the original which arrived just as he was about to head to Antimony's room. Burdened by enough food to feed all of Pearl Lane, D'hein dashed to the inn and careened down the hallways, colliding pathetically against the door to Antimony's room. If his hands weren't so full he might have opened the door and run in unannounced, but he couldn't work the doorknob in his condition.

"Half-starved!" He shouted, trying to get her attention. "I'm sure you are and it's my fault and I apolgize! I did my very best! I've the food! I do!"

With an extremely unlady-like grunt, Antimony shot up from where she'd slumped over her desk, her hands sending the pen that had still been loosely held in her grip skittering to the floor. A noise at her door...? Blinking away lingering sleep, Antimony looked down at the papers she had begun to work her way through before exhaustion had involuntarily claimed her. She hadn't gotten very far.

More noise at the door to her inn room dragged her attention away from the desk, and she spent several moments in confusion before remembering D'hein's earlier promise (threat? warning?). "Ah, yes, yes," she muttered to herself and stood. She could feel her hair brushing against the back of her neck as she walked, having taken it down to brush it out before diving into the work. A small gesture to the tia's concerns.

Seconds later, she opened the door with one hand, her other dropping immediately from where it had been combing through her hair. Warm, cooked smells assaulted her senses, and at the sight of the pile of food burdening his arms, Antimony's eyes widened. "You... ah, you're... what is this? I'm only one person!" A split second later she winced and added, "Nevermind. Er--come... in."

"I know, I'm late," said, D'hein, carrying the food in. "I've nothing but apologies to give! And the promised food. More than intended but we'll be well fed!" He laughed, sounding nervous, expecting to be the victim of some negative judgment. He shifted about in the room searched for some place he could put down such an incredible amount of food.

"Late?" Antimony stepped back, blinking, the shifting of her ears moving the fine, grey strands of her hair. "Of cour--ah, I mean, what? No, it's al...right?" She watched the tia for a moment, bewildered by the absolute mountain of food in his arms. "On the end table is fine," she murmured and shook her tail.

"Right," D'hein said, moving awkwardly over to the table and begin to pile up parcels of food. He noticed the paperwork sitting nearby and said, "How progresses your rest, Antimony?"

"How progresses... ah, it progresses fine! Just... fine." She furrowed her brow at the pile that seemed to only grow larger as he arranged it. This much food could have fed her family for... "I was certainly resting!"

"Are you sure you weren't working?" D'hein said, wondering if he wanted to leave a window open for her to lie. Perhaps he did want to leave it open, but he could also bait her towards the truth. "If you had been working I'm sure you would've led with some sort of gauge of the damages done to your investigation."

"Yes, luckily none of the lost papers contained the raw data, only post-analyses, some detailed summaries, and annotations of applicable laws. Reworking the math is going to take--" She paused suddenly, frowned at the food, then D'hein. "I was resting."

"Do I need to hide the files from you?" He smirked.

"No! You're not to touch them!" She hastened over to D'hein, as though prepared to swat him away from the desk. "In fact, do not even go near them. I am more fully aware than ever of the potential conflict of interest here."

"As am I," D'hein said, stepping away from the table. "And, no, I can't touch or look at them. But don't think that I am not above sending Amaury to do that which I cannot. You are not to work until you can be sure to do your best work."

Her tail slashed at the air behind her in annoyance, but she couldn't exactly fault his words. She had fallen asleep at her desk, after all - not that D'hein would ever hear of such a thing. "That won't be necessary," she muttered stiffly, eyes flicking to the desk and then back to the table laden with food. Very suddenly she became aware of an aching hollowness in her gut, and her expression softened. Slightly. "A meal would help. Though.. I'm not sure what you expect me to do with all of this."

"I... wanted to feed Ulanan as well, if she was about!" He laid a hand on the food and laughed, his tail whipping around. He lied through a small smile, "I'd hear Lalafel eat more than double as much as the largest of Roegadyn and didn't want the little saint to go hungry."

"More than... Ulanan's never seemed to eat unusual amounts..." She looked the spread over, sniffed at the air in an attempt to pick apart some of the smells. "Though if it doesn't have olives, I'm certain she won't approve."

"Thoughtless me!" D'hein smacked his forehead, a bit overly hard. He knocked himself a step backwards, one eye shivering, but proclaimed, "I hadn't even suspected! So without courtesy I can be. I'll correct the mistake immediately!" Truth be told he hadn't even thought of Ulanan, but as long as he was now, he was going to do his very best by her. "And while I'm at it I'll order some sweets in case K'airos comes by."

"That--" She winced as he thwacked his head, and nearly asked if he was alright, but then he just kept going. Letting out a faint, weary sigh, Antimony's ears shook. "I suppose, if you... want. It's not necessary..." A moment's hesitation and then, uncertainly, "Airos likes sweets?"

"Doesn't everyone?" D'hein said, spinning around and walking towards the door. "There's a great availability of sugar in Ul'dah, and she seems to enjoy it!"

She recalled the way her daughter had put sugar on fruit, during their brief, painfully joyous conversation in Camp Drybone. It was not a luxury she would have had access to if she had stayed with... Antimony sighed, her ears drooping, though she drew up her posture a bit to combat it. "I will get her a treat, then. It's my duty. Surely she'll... she said she would visit again soon. Ah, just--wait here!" And she made to turn towards the door.

"Ah. Alright..." D'hein shifted about, trying to decide if it was alright for him to be in the lady's room alone. Especially with the paperwork there, which he wasn't permitted to look at. "Are you getting olives as well?"

Antimony's, "Of course!" faded through the door as she hurried out, intent on doing right by her daughter in as many ways as she could possibly manage.

D'hein nodded, paced in a miniature circle for five seconds, and then decided that instead of looking at the paperwork he'd run a bath for Antimony so that she felt obligated to take care of herself upon her return. Probably.

Antimony's hurried steps carried her out into the Quicksand's tavern quickly, but her progress stalled not a minute later when she found herself facing a seemingly impossible decision: what sweets did K'airos like best?

Almost twenty agonizing minutes, several annoyed waitstaff, a few frustrated customers, and one confused guard who had bemusedly entertained Antimony's questions later, the harried woman made her way back to her inn room with a tray containing a wide variety of sweet treats. In the end, it had seemed best to go with them all, just in case. Surely K'airos would appreciate it!

She’d forgotten the olives, but there wasn’t much to be done about that.

She did not knock before entering - it was her room after all - and instead announced her entrance with a warning, "If I find you have been shuffling through my documents, I will be very cross."

He had been twenty minutes alone, and D'hein had gone mad after five, thinking that Antimony had found an excuse to flee from him and was now searching the streets in vain for her beloved K'airos, but in her condition she would collapse in a gutter and be kidnapped by desperate refugees! By the time anyone realized, she would have been exchanged for somnus! And from there!

Of course he was being ridiculous. He hadn't even finished running the bath yet, and because he knew he often overreacted to things he would force himself to finish the bath before panicking. He added soap to the water to create a good, bubbly froth, giving the room a clean and warm, humid air, then decided to continue working as long as possible to stave off any hasty action.

What could he do? He could put out candles! But there was only one candle in the entire suite and that took only a moment. He could lay out towels! Only two towels, thin. He folded them together to make one much better towel. That done, he could lay out... clothes? Of course! He found some ratty old coat and set it aside -- someone should probably throw it out -- and instead found the dress he'd placed in the box early and hung it near the tub.

Then he made the bed and dusted and unpacked one of the dinners and put the other dinners in an ordered pile and then -- no, he shouldn't do anything with the paperwork, so he left that alone -- he shifted uneasily in the middle of the room and was about to just take the bath himself out of confusion.

And then Antimony was back.

He spun to her in the middle of the room, hands popping out to either side, and bellowed, "You've returned! I was worried sick!" He moved forward as if to embrace her, but stopped when he just barely noticed the platter of sweets, not wanting to disturb them, and instead plucked it from Antimony's hands. "I'll just put these aside."

"Careful with those! They're for K'airos! I don't want them falling to the floor...!" She leaned after the platter anxiously. Then she saw the bath, and the candle, and the towels, and the dress, and just kind of froze while leaning onto the balls of her feet. Her ears swiveled.

"I'll be careful. I always am." he set them near the dinners, saying as he did so, "You were gone long enough I thought some refugee had kidnapped you and traded you for somnus! I set up a bath to keep myself busy, and because in your tired state you should simply relax."

Her tail twitched behind her and in an anxiously pitched voice she declared without thinking, "I'm not going to bathe in the same room as a ti--" She cut herself off quickly, one hand slapping over her mouth, and then the other was waving at D'hein in apology as she stammered, "I mean that--I appreciate the thought, just that--it's just.. it's not appropriate!"

D'hein tilted his head as he turned to Antimony, one ear twitching. He frowned, narrowed his eyes. "Why do you assume such is my attention? I came back to check on you, not to entrench myself, and I've already been here longer than intended. That I took the time to be considerate is not evidence of anything more."

Almost immediately, Antimony found herself overcome by a flush of embarrassment, her tail whirring madly behind her. "I didn't intend--I mean, that wasn't--aah, I--I am sorry! I shouldn't have assumed!" She brought her hands up to her reddened face as though she could hide behind them. "Apologies," she managed after a moment in a faint voice.

"That's fine. I understand," He put his hands behind him, smiling wide. "It's alright if you're shy. If you'd like you can undress and step into the bath before I enter, and then I won't necessarily see anything."

"Necessarily!" Antimony almost squeaked the word out, and her ears and tail shivered as one for several seconds before she jumped at some thought. "No! No, no, no. If there is to be a--a bath-- it will not be with you present!" One corner of her mouth twitched and then, suddenly, she let out a heavy sigh.

"I'm... it was a joke, Antimony." D'hein remained mostly unchanged, though his smile lessened into a smirk. "My respect for you makes such notions ridiculous to the point of laughability. Or so it is in my own head."

Silence greeted his words. Antimony blinked at D'hein. At the metal tub. At the table with food. "... Oh. I see." Her brow furrowed. "It was not a very... good joke."

"Apparently so! I'll get out of your way, though," D'hein paced around Antimony and as he did so, he said, "Also, I took your pen, so no working."

"... What? What if I want to write to Airos! Or... no, give that back!" She turned to follow him, reaching to snag his clothing before he could escape.

He let himself be stopped, smirking down at Antimony. "I'm not sure if I can trust you to wait until after you've rested to get to work."

Her own frown deepened with sudden offense. "This is absurd. I demand you cease treating me as a child and trust me to manage my own decisions properly."

"Fine, then do so," He pulled the pen from a pocket and offered it to Antimony. "Rest when you need rest, take care of your work, dress like you wish to be taken seriously and don't wander into the den of adversaries who obviously have no need for legal pretense."

Ears flinching back sharply, Antimony took the pen with an agitated, "I already manage most of those just fine, thank you."

"Just try not worry me," D'hein said, proceeding towards the door and opening. "I'm a worrier, after all."

She half turned back towards the table, glancing at the food before peering at D'hein's retreating back from the corner of her vision. Her annoyance swung back away with a sigh. "Thank you. I will be fine."

D'hein closed the door, back proud, one ear standing up. After the door was closed behind him, though, both ears fell and his shoulders slouched, drawing a sigh and a mutter from the frustrated Tia.