Hydaelyn Role-Players
Lalafell Lore - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Lalafell Lore (/showthread.php?tid=6696)

Pages: 1 2

Lalafell Lore - Melodia - 03-20-2014

I am new to roleplaying in the game and play as a Lalafell. I am looking for good sources of lore for the Lalafell as I want to understand the race better within the world. I am not sure if anything had been posted before as a seach generated so many threads but none I could see that was directly related to this.

I just am trying to play the character better and feel like I am not fully understanding the race. I don't play Ruru as a cute or silly type and take him seriously. So any lore thoughts or sources would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. Smile

RE: Lalafell Lore - Sounsyy - 03-20-2014

I can link you a few of my favorite lore sources when I get off work! Until then I'll recount some things I remember offhand.

-Lalafells migrated to Eorzea from the islands south of the Ceildaeles.
-It is believed many lalafells have green or other nature-colored hair as camouflage from the race's natural predator, great avians called Rocs.
-Plainsfolk built their houses in small clusters that all interconnected via underground tunnels.
-Plainsfolk are traditionally farmers.
-Dunesfolk have a keen knack for bartering, so many become merchants.
-Dunesfolk used to be nomadic and built their houses on the backs of great beasts. What kind was never implied.
-Dunesfolk actually have pupils like the Plainsfolk, but over many eons developed thick film lenses over their eyes to protect them from sand blowing into them.
-Lalafellin appear as children to the other races, making it very difficult to distinguish a lalafells true age.
-While we don't know exactly how old lalafell can grow to be, we know they can live to be at least 130-150 per the BLM job questline.
-We know that there are(were) at least two royal bloodlines of Dunesfolk lalafell. The Ul family and the Sil family.

RE: Lalafell Lore - Vysce the Lad - 03-20-2014

I've actually been interested in Lalafel lore too, and awesome post Sounsyy! But alas I've got to head off to work tooo~ Chocobo

RE: Lalafell Lore - Melodia - 03-20-2014

(03-20-2014, 08:50 AM)Rurutani Wrote: I don't play Ruru as a cute or silly type and take him seriously.

I just saw this and realized how it can be misconstrued. If your character is the silly and cute type, then I say go for it. Smile 

-Whew- With that disclaimer out of the way, thank you for posting the information. I think getting a better handle on who the Lalafell are will definitely allow me a better range to rp better. Thumbsup

RE: Lalafell Lore - Kage - 03-20-2014

(03-20-2014, 08:50 AM)Rurutani Wrote: I don't play Ruru as a cute or silly type and take him seriously. So any lore thoughts or sources would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. Smile
I feel like I do this unintentionally. I certainly made Kage to appear as cute and adorable as I wanted but never was my attention to make his character and personality cute. Since I find it easier to just RP his character out as I would react... I guess I'm cute since people have told me kage's cute. orz

I think I read some post that Lalafell's bodies just don't age the same way as (we) others do. I mean Ququruka doesn't look much older than other Lalafell or others like Papashan just have gray hair.

RE: Lalafell Lore - Melodia - 03-20-2014

Haha! It's all good Kage. Smile  As soon as I wrote it (having read some past threads) I knew it might be taken the wrong way by some folks. I actually play my Lala on the other server I play on as too cute (LOL!) I play Ruru as  pretty serious though. But I am cool with the cute too. How can I not be? Have you seen the /happy emote? Laugh

I think age is interesting especially since I have been trying to peg him at 19....too young I wonder? Hmmm...

I have a feeling that Lalafell just seem to not "age" physically past a certain point except for very minor barely noticeable features like hair color.

I pegged Kage as 22-23 but I'm starting to think he needs to be older. Or younger. I'm not sure D:

And nah your comment about cute or not is fine I think. I was only commenting on it because it's something I've constantly thought about.

RE: Lalafell Lore - xelliexell - 03-20-2014

I think it's an interesting racial interaction when non-lalafells interact with my lalafell. I think that regardless of how we play lalafells (cute or serious), they will typically be regarded as cute by other races due to their appearance. 

Haii tends to embrace this, and she uses it to make more friends and just generally be the center of attention. She's 21, so she's a bit immature anyway. 

Also going along with lalafell lore - there doesn't seem to be too much written about it from SE. I do recall that Plainsfolk are supposed to be generally chatty or sociable, so I placed that attribute onto my lalafell (although she tends to take it comically far.)

For Haii, she tends to act differently around other races than she does with other lalafell. I think this is a natural reflex to how others treat her, though. That's not to say it's bad - she just tends to "play the part". Wink  

So maybe it would also help you develop him to think of the social dynamic between your lala and others. How do they feel about roegadyn? Or elezen? What do they know (or not know) about other races? Then again, I'm a Psych major so this sort of thing interests me, haha.

RE: Lalafell Lore - cuideag - 03-20-2014

(03-20-2014, 10:18 AM)ExKage Wrote: I have a feeling that Lalafell just seem to not "age" physically past a certain point except for very minor barely noticeable features like hair color.

I pegged Kage as 22-23 but I'm starting to think he needs to be older. Or younger. I'm not sure D:

And nah your comment about cute or not is fine I think. I was only commenting on it because it's something I've constantly thought about.
I read something that suggested the same about how lalafell might not physically age after a certain stage in their lives but I cannot for the life of me remember where. Might have been on the official forums...? Might need to dig that up later.

And yeah, interactions with other races are always kind of interesting to me. Jajara's going on 30 years (and is very much aware that she is older than basically all of her close friends by several years at least) and it irritates her to no end when others approach her as if she is some sort of cute childish thing in need of coddling.

RE: Lalafell Lore - Goodfellow - 03-20-2014

Speaking of the lore in terms of personality, we see lalafell portrayed every which way in game: playful/cute, innocent, childish, mature, self-sacrificing, monstrous, sexual, naive, callous, calm, angry, etc.  They're really just people like all the other races, albeit people who tend toward goofier ways of expressing themselves slightly more often than some of the other races.

I tend to see other RPers play their lalafell one of two ways: like they look or juxtaposed to how they look.  That is to say, they play them highlighting either their cutesy childlike qualities or they play up the darkness of their character in a way that clashes with their appearance. 

Lolotaru, my Dunesfolk, is a healthy mix of both, I think and I'm certainly not alone in trying to round out my lalafell in such away that takes advantage of his disarming appearance.  He's definitely more openly goofy and excitable than brooding, it's just that he's got that in him too.

Long story short, don't sweat how you want to play out Ruru's personality; however you play him, there are lalafell in game that justify it.

RE: Lalafell Lore - Naunet - 03-20-2014

(03-20-2014, 09:24 AM)Sounsyy Wrote: -Dunesfolk actually have pupils like the Plainsfolk, but over many eons developed thick film lenses over their eyes to protect them from sand blowing into them.

Slight correction: the covering is to shield their eyes from the glare of the sun, not sand.

RE: Lalafell Lore - Edgar - 03-20-2014

(03-20-2014, 12:43 PM)cuideag Wrote:
(03-20-2014, 10:18 AM)ExKage Wrote: I have a feeling that Lalafell just seem to not "age" physically past a certain point except for very minor barely noticeable features like hair color.

I read something that suggested the same about how lalafell might not physically age after a certain stage in their lives but I cannot for the life of me remember where. Might have been on the official forums...? Might need to dig that up later.

And yeah, interactions with other races are always kind of interesting to me. Jajara's going on 30 years (and is very much aware that she is older than basically all of her close friends by several years at least) and it irritates her to no end when others approach her as if she is some sort of cute childish thing in need of coddling.

Unless it's her big brother Kopo teasing her~

Kage's been making lots of Miqo'te and a few Hyur friends. Many of them see him as 'cute' and adorable which he just sorta let's go. Myself on the hand I'm "yay! but not exactly the type of reaction I want for him other than for appearances..."

In that matter, he treats everyone mostly the same except for long periods of time his neck hurts. Staring straight up. In which case Kage's favorite spots on the rail in Quicksand comes back up or he's able to get a friend to lend him a shoulder seat.

He does so like to sit on his friend's shoulders... >_>;

Rehashing Sounsyy's post... http://ffxivrealm.com/wiki/lalafell/

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/142175-Lalafell-Predators/ Apparently, Rocs aren't the only things eating Lalafell. "It's dangerous, take this X" Seems strangely fitting now...

RE: Lalafell Lore - cuideag - 03-20-2014

(03-20-2014, 01:03 PM)Edgar Wrote: Unless it's her big brother Kopo teasing her~
Hey, he's her big bro! He gets special privileges, like not getting punched in the face.

(03-20-2014, 01:15 PM)ExKage Wrote: In that matter, he treats everyone mostly the same except for long periods of time his neck hurts. Staring straight up. In which case Kage's favorite spots on the rail in Quicksand comes back up or he's able to get a friend to lend him a shoulder seat.

I like to imagine that by now, Jajara has neck muscles of steel. Shoulder seats, though... *ponders.*

(03-20-2014, 04:15 PM)cuideag Wrote:
(03-20-2014, 01:15 PM)ExKage Wrote: In that matter, he treats everyone mostly the same except for long periods of time his neck hurts. Staring straight up. In which case Kage's favorite spots on the rail in Quicksand comes back up or he's able to get a friend to lend him a shoulder seat.

I like to imagine that by now, Jajara has neck muscles of steel. Shoulder seats, though... *ponders.*
Kage hasn't gotten to that point and neither has my monitor perspective. :> The shoulder seats are quite comfy. And usually Kage doesn't even need to ask his friends for a ride, it just happens~ Think they've all been Miqo'te too. I think Kage needs some more Roe friends. Or big highlander friends.

Of course if it was from someone who wasn't his friend, Kage would not be pleased. At all.