Hydaelyn Role-Players
RPing a character from another game - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: RPing a character from another game (/showthread.php?tid=6705)

Pages: 1 2

RPing a character from another game - Purpleglassesguy - 03-20-2014

Is it possible? I have been wondering if it is possible to RP my World of Warcraft character who I rped for a very long time. I know dimensonal travel is possible (Lightning, ect.) So is it possible for my human warrior to be transfered from WoW? Retaining most of his memorys and such?

RE: RPing a character from another game - Magellan - 03-20-2014

Anything you want to do is possible, BUT there are 'community friendly' characters, and non-community friendly characters. Bluntly put, this is the latter. You'd have to find a smaller group to rp with, willing to accept this sort of storyline.

People might give you grief over the concept, but truly RP is meant to be a fun enhancement to the game, and only you know what your best version of fun is. But it's not a concept a lot of rpers are going to easily swallow. So, so long as you are aware of the consequences, do what you like.

However, there is an alternative; instead of porting that exact same character over, bring the basic personality of what makes him him over, tailor his backstory to more accurately fit the FFXIV world, and do an Eorzean version of him.

I actually do that all the time, and it works fine. They are heavily inspired by characters I played in previous games, but were born and raised right here in good ol Eorzea.

RE: RPing a character from another game - Purpleglassesguy - 03-20-2014

Well I would be fine if people thought my character was insane. And when I realized how no one would believe me. I would obviously not talk about it much. I just think it would be an exciting story to have.

RE: RPing a character from another game - Val - 03-20-2014

You COULD do it, but as the others stated, it'll likely be ill-received. Dimensional travel is possible, but I'm one of the players that just ignore Lightning's existence because I felt it was pretty dumb =)

Do what you want, just be expected to meet resistance.

RE: RPing a character from another game - Hunfrid - 03-21-2014

I would suggest just not doing that, for reasons the other posters have stated.
You wont find enough people that would accept an Azeroth human in Eorzea.
I share the same feelings/sentiment with many of my WoW characters, too.
My main is exactly how one of my draenei characters would be.

But if you find a few RPers who would accept your WoW guy, then by all means, RP it.
It could get interesting.

I miss his tail so very much... (trails off and wanders away)

RE: RPing a character from another game - Val - 03-21-2014

One suggestion you can do, assuming you just enjoy the character's back story, is play the same character but as one of the races here. Let him keep all that rich history/whatever, and just change what needs to be changed or omit what needs to be omitted to allow him to fit here.

RE: RPing a character from another game - Aysun - 03-21-2014

(03-21-2014, 12:24 AM)Val Wrote: One suggestion you can do, assuming you just enjoy the character's back story, is play the same character but as one of the races here. Let him keep all that rich history/whatever, and just change what needs to be changed or omit what needs to be omitted to allow him to fit here.

Personally know people who have done that and it is well-accepted and much prefer to dimensional travel! Smile Just adapt him to this setting!

RE: RPing a character from another game - Purpleglassesguy - 03-21-2014

Alright guys. I will adapt my WoW Character to this world. Help me translate his back story into Eorzean terms. I will tell you his whole Azerothian backstory.

The characters name is George Greene. His father is a strong Paladin who fought under the flag of Lordaeron. He also had a little sister. He did not often see his father much but when he did he would tell grand stories of what it is to be a paladin and would personally train him. He was young when the Lordaeron fell. He was taking care of his sister when the undead came upon their doorstep and started slaughtering the people. George watched his own little sister and mother get slaughtered. His father was too late to save them but he found George and taking the lead fought his way out of Lordaeron to save his son. But shortly after George reached safety his father died at the hands of the undead. George was orphaned and his city gone. Everything gone.

After this event George abandon the light and the idea of ever becoming a paladin. He believed the light had betrayed him and wanted nothing more to do with it. In order to start a new life he migrated south to Stormwind where he enlisted in the military. From there he received good sword training and became a warrior of sword and shield. He was almost sent to Northrend when the war started there but he became deathly ill and was not able to go. He eventually was sent to Lakeshire, a small human town to the east that was quiet and peaceful. He spent many years working there as a guard until he eventually became sheriff. He held strong values of Chivalry and politeness he recieved from being a paladins son. But he also grew a great hatred for undead and had no more faith in the light. From there he adopted fishing to pass the time and lived his days peacefully as sheriff in lakeshire.

I want to see how well anyone can translate that word for word into an Eorzean story (If anyone is bored enough) If not then please just tell me how I can adapt that into Eorzean turns in your own words.

RE: RPing a character from another game - Ildur - 03-21-2014

Let me try. Sadly, Eorzea's paladins and Azeroth's aren't really the same thing, so translating them might not be perfect. Also, I have no idea how old your character is supposed to be, so you might have to tweak things to fit chronology.
Changes are in bolds.

(03-21-2014, 12:44 AM)Purpleglassesguy Wrote: The characters name is George Greene. His father was a strong Ul'dahn citizen who joined the Sultansworn and succesfully became a Paladin. He also had a little sister. He did not often see his father much but when he did he would tell grand stories of what it is to be a sultansworn and would personally train him. He was young when the Amalj'aa raided their hometown in Thalanan, taking the lives of George's little sister and mother. His father was severely wounded, but managed to save his son and take him into safety before bleeding out. George was orphaned and his town was gone. Everything gone.

After this event George abandoned Ul'dah and the idea of ever becoming a sultansworn. He believed the Sultanatehad betrayed him and wanted nothing more to do with them. In order to start a new life he migrated west to Limsa Lominsa where he enlisted in the Maelstorm. The training he received there complemented the sword techniques his father had taught him.
He was almost sent to fight the Garlean Empire when the war started, but he became deathly ill and was forced to resign from the military. He eventually went to Aleport where he spent a few years being a hired guard. He held strong values of Chivalry and politeness he recieved from being a paladin's son. But he also grew a great hatred for the beastmen. From there he adopted fishing to pass the time and lived his days peacefully as guard in Aleport.

Biggest change you'll notice is that paladins/sultansworn in this game don't have a religious creed: they are essentially the Sultana's praetorian guard and, while they still have the whole paladin stick of defending the innocent and being overall a good guy, they don't have a "Light" analogue. So your character's disgust will be more towards Ul'dah's high society and politics rather than a god-like being.
I guess he could be angry at the Mother Crystal, Hydaelyn, but that wouldn't be particularly related to the Paladin's oath, as far as I can tell.

Thank you good sir. That is genius and I shall go with that.

RE: RPing a character from another game - Austratus - 03-21-2014

The closest analog I can think of is relating your character's story to the fall of Ala Mhigo at the hands of the Garleans-- the event causing him to harden his beliefs in the city-state's patron deity, Rhalgr.

He could either find himself as one of the many refugees that come to Ul'dah (though, ironically, in the mechanical sense the sword-and-shield class you can learn here translates over to the Paladin/Knight job later) or he could travel to Limsa Lominsa and pick up skills in a more savage fighting discipline to match his newfound fervency -- the marauder.

I'm sure others can help you better than this, though.

RE: RPing a character from another game - Yssen - 03-21-2014

(03-21-2014, 12:44 AM)Purpleglassesguy Wrote: Alright guys. I will adapt my WoW Character to this world. Help me translate his back story into Eorzean terms. I will tell you his whole Azerothian backstory.

The characters name is George Greene. His father is a strong Paladin who fought under the flag of Lordaeron. He also had a little sister. He did not often see his father much but when he did he would tell grand stories of what it is to be a paladin and would personally train him. He was young when the Lordaeron fell. He was taking care of his sister when the undead came upon their doorstep and started slaughtering the people. George watched his own little sister and mother get slaughtered. His father was too late to save them but he found George and taking the lead fought his way out of Lordaeron to save his son. But shortly after George reached safety his father died at the hands of the undead. George was orphaned and his city gone. Everything gone.

After this event George abandon the light and the idea of ever becoming a paladin. He believed the light had betrayed him and wanted nothing more to do with it. In order to start a new life he migrated south to Stormwind where he enlisted in the military. From there he received good sword training and became a warrior of sword and shield. He was almost sent to Northrend when the war started there but he became deathly ill and was not able to go. He eventually was sent to Lakeshire, a small human town to the east that was quiet and peaceful. He spent many years working there as a guard until he eventually became sheriff. He held strong values of Chivalry and politeness he recieved from being a paladins son. But he also grew a great hatred for undead and had no more faith in the light. From there he adopted fishing to pass the time and lived his days peacefully as sheriff in lakeshire.
Depending on your character's age, replace Lordaeron with Ala Mhigo, which fell around 20 years prior to the start of ARR. Most of the refugees migrated to Southern Thanalan (Little Ala Mhigo) and Ul'dah. Ul'dah is the home of the Gladiator's Guild, which would fit your sword and shield warrior concept. 

Of cultural note, you might consider replacing the given up aspiration of Paladin to some form of Lancer. Ala Mhigo's military (the strongest in Eorzea until if fell to the machinations of the Black Wolf) was particularly well known for its neato bandito Lancer Corps. There is not specific job attached to them, but they were supposedly a force to near rival Ishgard's Dragoons. That is kinda saying something, since the Ishgardian Dragoons are dedicated near completely to fighting dragons in melee combat. I am unsure if the Lancer Corps of Ala Mhigo had a specific name.

Ul'dah will likely grate on your character's honorable streak, it is wicked amounts of corrupt. Your mileage may vary though, the city-state IS also home to the Sultansworn, which are Eorzea's Paladins. This is not to say you do not have a few other options. If you are keen on Warrior as concept, you might consider having him move to Limsa after the fall of Ala Mhigo, home of the Marauder's guild. Maruader bleeds into Warrior, which is conceptually all about channeling anger. Limsa also fits well as a sort of Stormwind analog, to a degree. This would cleave a bit closer to the whole "giving up the light" idea, sorta. Lastly, consider replacing "the Light" with Rhalgr. The Destroyer is/was the patron deity of Ala Mhigo, and the leap that he failed to protect/abandoned his city is not a huge one to make. Similarly swap out the undead for the Garleans. As for the smaller town stuff, Eorzea is filled with small settlements.

My final two cents. While some tend to look sidelong at dimension hoping, I tend to think this is more from people announcing that they do so. Each character is different, but a case can be made that someone from a whole different world/dimension would not run around announcing it. Similar to how if your character is an assassin, you probably don't pop into the tavern and tell people they do not know "Hi! I commit murder for money!" By way of example, I have an alt who totally does come from another world. He is not in the habit of mentioning this fact to people, thus it really doesn't come up that much. It is a matter of showing and not telling. I tend to let such details bleed out through the RP of culture shock and such. Like the fact that he thinks the Garleans are the better option for saving Eorzea from the Primals, and that the force uniting the various city-states are actually more sinister in nature than their masks of altruism would have them appear. This are things that are products of the world he came from. Where a character is from is less important than where the character is going. Half the fun can be seeing if other players can figure it out ICly. That is just me though.

Just some ideas to consider.

So is there anyone who may want to RP with this character? Tongue If so you should contact me on game or on here.

RE: RPing a character from another game - synaesthetic - 03-22-2014

My character Aeriyn is basically the same person no matter what game I play her in, so yeah. XIV!Aeri, TERA!Aeri, RIFT!Aeri, WS!Aeri and GW2!Aeri are all very similar.