Hydaelyn Role-Players
inFAMOUS Second Son - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Off-Topic (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: inFAMOUS Second Son (/showthread.php?tid=6738)

inFAMOUS Second Son - Koninbeor - 03-24-2014

Has anyone else had a chance to play this yet? Mechanically, I found the game to be pretty sound. I didn't think that they really brought anything new to the table, though. Smoke power is essentially Cole's electric power with different graphics. The other powers basically follow suit, pretty much negating the need to use the powers interchangeably unless the game forces you to. This game also sported the shortest story in the series and a protagonist that has way too much emo angst going on even when playing the True Hero path. While not disappointed with my purchase, I didn't feel that Second Son lived up to the legacy of the first two games. I thought that both were solid game of the year candidates. The only way this one could possibly meet that standard is by a completely lackluster release of games this year for the PS4. Here's hoping that doesn't happen.

RE: inFAMOUS Second Son - TheLastCandle - 03-24-2014

I'm interested in playing Second Son, but I'm starting to regret buying a PS4 so early in its life cycle. Don't get me wrong; it's a great machine, and there are more games that I find interesting than there are on Xbone. But most of the games I'm looking forward to this year are still coming out for PS3! Tales of Xillia 2, Tales of Zestiria, Persona 5 - that's just off the top of my head. Maybe E3 will bring more news for the rest of 2014. After all, it just released last month in Japan, and they need more games that suit that audience.

My prediction? We're about to see a lot of cross-gen porting. Almost certainly in the case of P5.

RE: inFAMOUS Second Son - Kage - 03-24-2014

I had been wanting to buy this game, having had no familiarity or interest with inFAMOUS's other iterations.

FFXIV though is pretty much my time dump. It's saving me money from the enormous backlog I already have as well as future games.

.... it also means that I have left my PS4 to gather dust since about 2 weeks after I got the preorder ><

RE: inFAMOUS Second Son - Lost River - 03-24-2014

The length is just as short as the second one while the first one felt like it dragged on too much. We need a sweet spot for this; the main character is a bit of a sarcastic smart-ass, Buuuut, thats also because of his raising plus his age. Cole was a lot older than Delsin.

I like it so far, but wish there was more to the enemy variety other than DUP this, DUP that.

RE: inFAMOUS Second Son - Val - 03-24-2014

Lost <3

I recently beat it myself and thought the game was pretty good, all things considered. It could have stood to be another four/five hours longer, I think. It also feels a bit like what you said: they just took elements from the first two games and hashed them together to make this one.

That's fine to me. The game itself was still pretty fun to play overall and, if you're a fan of the last two, you'd probably be satisfied/fan of this one.

There never really was a need to change powers either, also like you said. Each one sort of did their own thing and had their own play style and were powerful enough to work on their own. I'd have liked to see special enemy types that made you change, though. Like enemies that were heavily armored so you had to use the neon power to pinpoint shots, or enemies that you had no choice but to use the video power's stealth to take them down. Would have made it seem more versatile.

..In fact, I think I only just now noticed you fight the same four enemies the whole game.

RE: inFAMOUS Second Son - Koninbeor - 03-24-2014

(03-24-2014, 01:08 PM)Lost River Wrote: The length is just as short as the second one while the first one felt like it dragged on too much. We need a sweet spot for this; the main character is a bit of a sarcastic smart-ass, Buuuut, thats also because of his raising plus his age. Cole was a lot older than Delsin.

The main quest is closer to the second game than the first. Still a little shorter. The big thing is that the main quest is really all you've got going for you. There are side quests... sort of. Find the undercover DUP agent. Or chase the origami paper chick. Oh, wait, you can't do that because the website is down and it won't sync properly. Unless they fixed that since Saturday. At any rate, what made this game seem so short to me is that there is the main quest, spray-painting fixed locations on the map, finding the undercover DUP agents, destroying all of the cameras, finding all of the shards, and the mandatory showdown for each district. The only actual side quest is Cole's Legacy, and that's only if you preordered. Luckily, I did, and that 4 quest chain was kind of cool.

(03-24-2014, 01:27 PM)Val Wrote: There never really was a need to change powers either, also like you said. Each one sort of did their own thing and had their own play style and were powerful enough to work on their own. I'd have liked to see special enemy types that made you change, though. Like enemies that were heavily armored so you had to use the neon power to pinpoint shots, or enemies that you had no choice but to use the video power's stealth to take them down. Would have made it seem more versatile.

Val, that is exactly what I was hoping would happen with the powers. Sadly, the only real reason to switch powers, other than being forced to, is to fit your personal play style. Even then, there isn't much variety.

Show Content

Show Content

Anywho, I am still glad that I bought the game and I'm still having some fun on my run to beat the Infamous path on Expert (gotta hunt those trophies), I just wish that the game would have felt more imaginative. 7/10 for me.