Hydaelyn Role-Players
New to RP! - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: RPC (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Forum: Welcome Desk (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: New to RP! (/showthread.php?tid=6744)

New to RP! - AidenFletcher - 03-24-2014

Hello everyone!

My real name is Luke, an I'm an 18 year old high school graduate from Tennessee. I'm currently saving money and preparing to move to Japan in October to attend the Yamasa Institute and study Japanese, with the intent of becoming a professional translator. I love Japanese culture and I'm also a huge Final Fantasy fan, FFXIV included.

I only just recently re-upped my FFXIV subscription after playing through beta and a month or so out of beta, before taking a break. Now I'm taking a slight break from life stress and FFXIV is the perfect solution for that. XP
I've always been interested in Roleplaying but, to be honest, I've never really known of a way to... start. I couldn't really find a definitive answer on how you begin, so I just left it alone for a while. But the more I play FFXIV the more interested I am in trying Roleplay. I'd really like to find a Free Company that I can join that will sort of help guide me on the right path, per say (not spoon feed me but at least help me not make a fool of myself). I was originally planning on starting my own FC but I highly doubt it'd be wise to start a roleplay FC and then tell everyone "yeah... I've never roleplayed before".

So either way, I would really enjoy getting to know some people and joining in some roleplay, even though I've never RP'ed. My character in game is Droken Dareheart on the Gilgamesh server. ^_^

Glad to be joining the community and hoping to make some new friends!

RE: New to RP! - Missing Aria - 03-24-2014

Hi Luke!  First off the best way to RP is just to go out there and watch others and jump in by following their examples.  I shudder when thinking back on how bad I was when I started and I'll probably shudder again in a few years when I look back on myself now.  A good RPer is constantly adapting and learning in my opinion. 

Head to one of the inns and just watch if you're on Balmung or Gilgamesh.  Chances are you'll find some RP.  Another good guideline is to think of how characters in a book act and try to make your character into the sort that YOU would enjoy reading about.  Just remember you aren't writing anyone else's character, just your own, so don't force actions on them.  So long as you aren't deciding how other characters react to yours or what they do around yours you should be fine!  Either way feel free to hit me up if you want to rp sometime, I'm on Balmung.  -points down and her sig-

RE: New to RP! - Magellan - 03-24-2014

Hi Luke. Regardless of what FC you end up in, I encourage you to attend events and just watch. Its a great way to just pick up the basics. If someone approaches you icly don't freak out - rp is for fun, its not a contest. You don't get graded or awarded for your performance. Simple things such as sending someone a tell, or typing in /say ((hey I'm brand new to this, so please bear with me)) will get you a lot of help. Especially with a community as friendl as this one's c:

I see you are on Gilgamesh, so please don't hesitate to contact Riley Moore, as I love to.help out new folks. I even have ideas for some future events specifically geared towards helping out new folks. Hope ta hear from ya!

RE: New to RP! - AidenFletcher - 03-24-2014

I'll be sure and give you a ring! ^_^

It's really nice to see how open the community is! I can breath a sigh of relief. XD

RE: New to RP! - Poe - 03-25-2014

Hi Droken!

Welcome to ARR and to Gilgamesh! If you are ever looking for roleplay, feel free to look me up  (Poe Lhyzeal)! I am always up for it! Got a friendly group that will gladly drag you into random RP Bouncy

RE: New to RP! - Mippa - 03-31-2014

Welcome Droken! You're in good company on Gilgamesh! We have a great mix of experienced and novice RPers who are eager to bring you into the fold! There are quite a few events happening in April, so you're just in time for seeing things pick up!

If you're a Disciple of War, there's the Berserk linkshell, Disciple of Magic has Phoenix Down. Those are both great places to get some RP on while you look into picking out a Free Company to belong in!

I play an Archmage/Healer named Framboise Zakuro. You're welcome to shoot me a /tell whenever you're online!