Hydaelyn Role-Players
Balmung or Glilgamesh? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Balmung or Glilgamesh? (/showthread.php?tid=6778)

Balmung or Glilgamesh? - Valen Drakengard - 03-27-2014

Hi guys, need help deciding between the servers, as it will either be today or tomorrow that ill do the transfer.

Ive also had some really good talks with a couple of people from each server on characters and possible stories, but I cant decide.

Would anyone be around to introduce me into the RP world within the server, possibly even in character?

RE: Balmung or Glilgamesh? - Erik Mynhier - 03-27-2014

(03-27-2014, 03:10 AM)Valen Drakengard Wrote: Hi guys, need help deciding between the servers, as it will either be today or tomorrow that ill do the transfer.

Ive also had some really good talks with a couple of people from each server on characters and possible stories, but I cant decide.

Would anyone be around to introduce me into the RP world within the server, possibly even in character?

Come to Balmung and enjoy the current garlean plot against Ul'dah, an assassin plot against Ishgardian refugees, and a Royal Ball in Ul'dah. And that's just what I have my fingers in. There are folks with even crazier stuff going on.

RE: Balmung or Glilgamesh? - Clover - 03-27-2014

If you've seen characters from both servers and still can't decide, then I can only recommend to make an alt in each and try out a couple of events. Maybe that will help you decide where you had the most fun ^^

RE: Balmung or Glilgamesh? - Lisasa - 03-27-2014

I'll echo what Clover said!

Honestly from the community on this website, both servers look very friendly and nice and I'm sure both have lots of RP going on and things for your character to jump into!

So I can only agree with Clover and suggest dipping your feet into both servers and seeing which one you seem to lean towards more, really!

I wish I could be more help than that! Blush

RE: Balmung or Glilgamesh? - Valen Drakengard - 03-27-2014

It may seem weird to some, but I don't like making alts. But I suppose temporary ones...Thanks for the idea Smile

Im still not sure how RP works, can a character follow his/her own storyline and go to events on the side without it being mixed up?

RE: Balmung or Glilgamesh? - Clover - 03-27-2014

(03-27-2014, 06:22 AM)Valen Drakengard Wrote: It may seem weird to some, but I don't like making alts. But I suppose temporary ones...Thanks for the idea Smile

Im still not sure how RP works, can a character follow his/her own storyline and go to events on the side without it being mixed up?
I don't like making alts either, truth be told.
I meant temporary ones *nods*. Just lv 1 characters you can use to go to any event, and then decide ^^

As for events and storylines mixing, the event is just another episode in your character's life. So long as your own storyline doesn't contradict it, there's no problem in participating in events. For example, if your character is in jail in your personal storyline, I guess they won't be able to go to the Ul'dah ball *laughs*. In any case, you're the one who knows your personal story the best, so you should decide where your character can and can't go. Events are a lot of fun, so I recommend to always try to find an excuse for your character to participate.

RE: Balmung or Glilgamesh? - Knight Kat - 03-27-2014

(03-27-2014, 06:22 AM)Valen Drakengard Wrote: It may seem weird to some, but I don't like making alts. But I suppose temporary ones...Thanks for the idea Smile

It depends, but its definitely possible. Start with a back-story foundation for your character. Don't make things too specific. Then, start RPing and allow your story to expand organically. Or, if you see a plot mentioned that you -really- want to get involved in, contact the leaders of the plot and ask to join.

As for which server to choose; both are really great, and both are really active now. You can't go wrong.

Makes sense. Its starting to sound daunting now. What id give for someone to help me when I do swap, like teach me in game things to do with RP...

I feel slightly nervous now.
I bet its all good fun though right?

RE: Balmung or Glilgamesh? - Magellan - 03-27-2014

Hey Valen, i'd be more than happy to try and field any questions you might have in regards to rp if you do take clovers advice and initially roll on both servers (I'm on Gilg). Typically I'm in game between 6-11pm EST on Riley Moore.

And if I don't hear from you....

Keep in mind rp is meant to be fun, not stressful! There is absolutely nothing wrong with making mistakes, as most of us did when we first started out. As in all things, rp takes practice to perfect the art, and this community in particular is really friendly towards helping new people learn the ropes. Ask a lot of questions, don't get discouraged if you have any 'setbacks' (because that's part of the learning process!), and don't be nervous!

Get out there and enjoy yourself. Good luck!

RE: Balmung or Glilgamesh? - Arianne Beaudonet - 03-27-2014

Like the others said, best way to decide is try both servers. As for this being your first time roleplaying, I think you will find a lot of helpful people out there willing to help. If you decide to roll up on Balmung, I'd be more than happy to do what I can to help you get started. We've all been there as a beginner once.

Regardless of what server you pick, welcome to the community!

Thanks for the help so far guys Smile
It will be awesome to get started as soon as I swap.

RE: Balmung or Glilgamesh? - Haruka - 04-13-2014

Hey I'm relatively new myself and I wouldn't mind tagging along with you either, friend Smile On the PS3, I've played in Gilgamesh and I thought it was pretty cool. I can't get over the play they recreated from FF9, "I Want to be Your Canary"!

RE: Balmung or Glilgamesh? - Valen Drakengard - 04-14-2014

I went to Gilgamesh. So I guess this thread can close.