Hydaelyn Role-Players
Lore and timeline question for Miqo’te - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Lore and timeline question for Miqo’te (/showthread.php?tid=6782)

Lore and timeline question for Miqo’te - Kalooeh - 03-28-2014

So I'm strongly considering getting into the game (yeah I know, boo on me for first coming on here) and looking mostly at the (nocturnal) Miqo’te
And saw some remarks about them being tribal and while they don't have to be, still some appeal to it for me since I'm a troll Rp'er on WoW and I was considering at least partially basing a FF character off the main one I play.

But want to do some resource gathering and find out where to find information of the race's timeline, world timeline, what my character would likely know about if she's about 17 or whatever the teen phase of the race is, information like average heights/weights, age, and anything I should know really about the race for rp'ing?

Also help with names. Found the wiki thing for it, but wasn't all that helpful for knowing if something like Dei'naa/Deinaa or just Dei works
And what would be the best rp server to try out when I get it?
There any major differences in the economy?
How about in the community?
Where are best rp spots likely going to be?

And don't know if this matters but should probably mention that only FF game I've played is Crystal Chronicles and Final Fantasy XIII. Not a total stranger to FF, but at the same time still a newb and really I don't have an idea of where to even start to look for info

RE: Lore and timeline question for Miqo’te - A'rytiss Edar - 03-28-2014

(03-28-2014, 01:50 AM)Kalooeh Wrote: So I'm strongly considering getting into the game (yeah I know, boo on me for first coming on here) and looking mostly at the (nocturnal) Miqo’te
And saw some remarks about them being tribal and while they don't have to be, still some appeal to it for me since I'm a troll Rp'er on WoW and I was considering at least partially basing a FF character off the main one I play.

But want to do some resource gathering and find out where to find information of the race's timeline, world timeline, what my character would likely know about if she's about 17 or whatever the teen phase of the race is, information like average heights/weights, age, and anything I should know really about the race for rp'ing?

Also help with names. Found the wiki thing for it, but wasn't all that helpful for knowing if something like Dei'naa/Deinaa or just Dei works

And don't know if this matters but should probably mention that only FF game I've played is Crystal Chronicles and Final Fantasy XIII. Not a total stranger to FF, but at the same time still a newb and really I don't have an idea of where to even start to look for info

Gilgamesh and Balmung are the two RP servers. However, I personally have had a lot more successful RP scenes since I moved to Balmung. I've met a lot more amazing RP'ers - from Short, rapid-fire /say posts, to long full flowing Para-posters. 

This wasn't so much the case on Gilgamesh. People are more secluded in their cliques from my experience, because the RP community is substanially smaller. The places like the adventurer's guilds are hit-or-miss, depending on when you sign in and the traffic that day. I would have weeks where I tried to find people to RP with in Limsa or Ul'dah on Gilgamesh and not have any luck, eventually returning to my own circle of friends for RP. 

This is not to say Gilgamesh is bad RP. I just think Balmung has more opportunities.

RE: Lore and timeline question for Miqo’te - Kalooeh - 03-28-2014

(03-28-2014, 02:08 AM)A Wrote:
(03-28-2014, 01:50 AM)Kalooeh Wrote: So I'm strongly considering getting into the game (yeah I know, boo on me for first coming on here) and looking mostly at the (nocturnal) Miqo’te

Gilgamesh and Balmung are the two RP servers. However, I personally have had a lot more successful RP scenes since I moved to Balmung. I've met a lot more amazing RP'ers - from Short, rapid-fire /say posts, to long full flowing Para-posters. 

This wasn't so much the case on Gilgamesh. People are more secluded in their cliques from my experience, because the RP community is substanially smaller. The places like the adventurer's guilds are hit-or-miss, depending on when you sign in and the traffic that day. I would have weeks where I tried to find people to RP with in Limsa or Ul'dah on Gilgamesh and not have any luck, eventually returning to my own circle of friends for RP. 

This is not to say Gilgamesh is bad RP. I just think Balmung has more opportunities.
Ok thanks :D
One of the reasons looking into other things besides WoW is basically lack of rp and having weeks or months with nothing or barely anything, and just getting a bit frustrating and I'm pretty bored otherwise. So Balmung will work a lot better for me

RE: Lore and timeline question for Miqo’te - Knight Kat - 03-28-2014

Hey there! I am a big fan of Miqo'te lore, and play a traditional one myself, but many Miqo'te aren't traditional/tribal, so it is not required in order to respect the lore behind them. However, I prefer the more traditional route with them, just because I find it more fun to play.

The nocturnal Miqo'te are the Keepers of the Moon (like me Smile ). They have eyes designed to see well in the dark, and they have a powerful sense of smell.

If you haven't read this link below, please do. It answers your questions about naming conventions and gives you info on some of their lore.
http://www.ffxiv-roleplayers.com/wiki/index.php?title=Category:Miqo%27te

(03-28-2014, 01:50 AM)Kalooeh Wrote: But want to do some resource gathering and find out where to find information of the race's timeline, world timeline, what my character would likely know about if she's about 17 or whatever the teen phase of the race is, information like average heights/weights, age, and anything I should know really about the race for rp'ing?

This video is a bit annoying, but very informative. All lore on this video can be verified by going to the FF14arr Lodestone site.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-P3vV6z4Jg

As for averages, the character creator sort of forces you to say within racial averages. For example, it is impossible to make a Miqo'te as tall as an Elezen, or as bulky as a Roegadyn.

(03-28-2014, 01:50 AM)Kalooeh Wrote: Also help with names. Found the wiki thing for it, but wasn't all that helpful for knowing if something like Dei'naa/Deinaa or just Dei works

If you are trying to use a specific name. The only rules you have to follow to give your Miqo'te Keeper a traditional name are as follows:

Female Keepers of the Moon (the nocturnal Miqo'te) have names with one or two syllables. So, Deinaa works, or Dei works too. However, if you want to add a more Miqo'te sound to the name, I would throw in an 'h' somewhere.

Examples: Deinah, Dhei, Dheinaa, or anything else you can think of. Do not use Dei'naa. Female Keepers do not traditionally have any apostrophes or suffixes in their names.

I believe A'rytiss Edar already gave you a good answer to your other questions.

Another thread where players have made their own Keeper groups/tribes/clans is found here. The lore is vague on how a traditional Keeper society would function other than it would be matriarchal, and be made of two to three families. So the info in this thread is purely our best educated guesses based on tiny smatterings of lore put forth so far.

http://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/showthread.php?tid=5701

If you have any more questions, feel free to post more topics. Don't worry, no body will be bothered by it. Or, you can PM me. Smile

RE: Lore and timeline question for Miqo’te - Kalooeh - 03-28-2014

(03-28-2014, 03:33 AM)Knight Kat Wrote: Hey there! I am a big fan of Miqo'te lore, and play a traditional one myself, but many Miqo'te aren't traditional/tribal, so it is not required in order to respect the lore behind them. However, I prefer the more traditional route with them, just because I find it more fun to play.

The nocturnal Miqo'te are the Keepers of the Moon (like me Smile ). They have eyes designed to see well in the dark, and they have a powerful sense of smell.

If you haven't read this link below, please do. It answers your questions about naming conventions and gives you info on some of their lore.
http://www.ffxiv-roleplayers.com/wiki/index.php?title=Category:Miqo%27te

(03-28-2014, 01:50 AM)Kalooeh Wrote: But want to do some resource gathering and find out where to find information of the race's timeline, world timeline, what my character would likely know about if she's about 17 or whatever the teen phase of the race is, information like average heights/weights, age, and anything I should know really about the race for rp'ing?

This video is a bit annoying, but very informative. All lore on this video can be verified by going to the FF14arr Lodestone site.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-P3vV6z4Jg

As for averages, the character creator sort of forces you to say within racial averages. For example, it is impossible to make a Miqo'te as tall as an Elezen, or as bulky as a Roegadyn.

(03-28-2014, 01:50 AM)Kalooeh Wrote: Also help with names. Found the wiki thing for it, but wasn't all that helpful for knowing if something like Dei'naa/Deinaa or just Dei works

If you are trying to use a specific name. The only rules you have to follow to give your Miqo'te Keeper a traditional name are as follows:

Female Keepers of the Moon (the nocturnal Miqo'te) have names with one or two syllables. So, Deinaa works, or Dei works too. However, if you want to add a more Miqo'te sound to the name, I would throw in an 'h' somewhere.

Examples: Deinah, Dhei, Dheinaa, or anything else you can think of. Do not use Dei'naa. Female Keepers do not traditionally have any apostrophes or suffixes in their names.    

I believe A'rytiss Edar already gave you a good answer to your other questions.

Another thread where players have made their own Keeper groups/tribes/clans is found here. The lore is vague on how a traditional Keeper society would function other than it would be matriarchal, and be made of two to three families. So the info in this thread is purely our best educated guesses based on tiny smatterings of lore put forth so far.

http://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/showthread.php?tid=5701

If you have any more questions, feel free to post more topics. Don't worry, no body will be bothered by it. Or, you can PM me. Smile

Thank you, this is a lot of help.
Figured naming wasn't quite like WoW trolls, though looked ind of similar
I don't mind player-made lore either when it's educated guesses and works for most the community. Tmirai does the same thing and works for troll rp since Blizz is a pain with giving lore or changing it or changing a lot of things (and dismissing a large amount of lore from older books without reestablishing changes)

If I have any questions later on I'll ask then, thanks again

RE: Lore and timeline question for Miqo’te - Magellan - 03-28-2014

(03-28-2014, 02:08 AM)A Wrote: Gilgamesh and Balmung are the two RP servers. However, I personally have had a lot more successful RP scenes since I moved to Balmung. I've met a lot more amazing RP'ers - from Short, rapid-fire /say posts, to long full flowing Para-posters. 

I actually found the exact opposite; Balmung was pretty clique-y and ever since I moved to Gilg I've found more and more rp. I guess its all up to the individuals personal experience.

Regardless, the OP seems to want to roll Keeper of the Moon. The abundance of lore isn't great, but Keepers are a matriarchal society, that like strong, short names, so as mentioned Dei or Dhei would fit well.

The Black Shroud surrounding Gridania was the home of a lot of Keepers. The Shroud as a region suffered greatly from poachers, who kill for profit, and the fact that the Shroud is a magic forest that unleashes its fury to protect the animals within.

To try to keep the forest at peace, both the conjurers guild and the wood wailers (a para-military group) have essentially gone to war to stop the poachers. Perhaps your Keeper can fit somewhere in that neat regional history.

That said, ffxiv doesn't focus a lot on cultural identity, and the city-states kind of have a cultural melting pot feel to them. Welcome to ARR!