Hydaelyn Role-Players
Xzenivar: The Escape [Closed] - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Role-Play (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+--- Forum: Town Square (IC) (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: Xzenivar: The Escape [Closed] (/showthread.php?tid=680)

Xzenivar: The Escape [Closed] - Xzenivar - 09-19-2010

Enough was enough, that singular thought provided breath to his lungs and pushed feet to move on this cold starry night. Enough was enough, and now it was time to leave. He had worked hard to change things, withstood much and despite the wickedness in that man's heart, Xzenivar Ashallanset, second son of Vernados, could not help but to love his older brother.

This newest development however, Xzenivar would simply not abide. He was to be married? To a women of his brother's choosing? A woman he had never even met nor heard of before? The young man could only imagine what she would be like knowing Xzanifer's tastes.

No, it was certainly time to leave, perhaps not for good, but he couldn't remain here right now. Perhaps he could return and change his brother's mind someday... that would be good. Xzen wondered if there was even a point in that hope, but he'd hold onto it all the same. He knew, deep down, that his brother wasn't totally corrupt, totally beyond good. That was the man who educated him, introduced him to the sword, and in his own way, ironically, taught him right from wrong. Even when their own father turned his back on him Xzanifer kept his arms open.

The young man couldn't shake a sense of guilt over this, but... enough was enough, now was the time to have his own life take its shape.

Tonight was certainly a good time for it, the entire manor was a whirl of activity as everyone prepared for the arrival of his fiancée' apparently a woman of good standing and breeding or some such business. No one had time to pay attention to a nervous groom to be, especially when his expression was so dour. Xzenivar may have had a reputation opposite that of his brother, and Xzanifer had no qualms about showing his ruthlessness to others, they were still brothers, somethings were just inherent. Dressed in the simple but billowing clothing of a sailor, and shrouded in a hooded cloak, the young man took no chances. The only things he brought with him were his own coin, some supplies and his father's abandoned sword. Such a weapon he couldn't leave behind, not when it was to be his anyway.

His footfalls along the stone floors echoed like alarms in his ears, things like this were not his realm of expertise, he was too straightforward, and all this sneaking about had him on edge. Rationally he knew he should act cool and natural, but it just wasn't in him. Each time he passed another person he had to keep from flinching, occasionally a bump would have the normally agile youth tripping over himself and begging his pardon out of reflex, only to realize after the fact that no one was really that polite around here.

Of course, he would be proven wrong moments later.

“Oh its quite alright, I have rather large feet and… wait, is that you Lord Xzenivar?”

Bloody hell… this guy, he was one who could talk an elezen’s ears off a malm away. Rude or not, the young man on the move said nothing and kept walking as quickly as he could without breaking into a dead run.

“Lord Xzenivar wait up! What are you doing out here now? I’m sorry sir but really, you have to be getting ready to meet your fiancée. She should be arriving any minute and you know how important this is to you erughk!”

Xzen didn’t have time for this, with a quick spin on his heel to get behind the man, he brought his sheathed weapon from his belt and brought the pommel down upside the mans head, knocking him flat.

“Sorry about that. Can’t chat now.” He grimaced, but started moving again.
She’s already here? I have less time than I thought now. The guards will be out and if they find-

“GUARDS! GUARDS! LORD XZENIVAR HAS GONE MAD! SOMEONE STOP HIM!”

“I should have hit him harder.”

Re: Xzenivar: The Escape - Xzenivar - 09-19-2010

To late for stealth now he grinned, breaking into a run. This was more his style, this excitement, there was a rush inside him, a fire that wanted to burn, now it was time to let it out.

The guards could react fast, he knew their habits and how well trained they were, he had trained with them for years after all. Now, now they might as well been strangers, their expressions of shock as the young lord barreled through their number. He was close to the manor docks now, and he would not be stopped. He leapt onto a window ledge and used one midlander as a springboard, he tore his cloak off and thrust it into the face of a surprised wildwood elezen as he sailed over his outstretched arms. Xzenivar landed in a roll, jumped forward and slid on his knees his knees between the legs of a sea wolf that had arrived just a bit to late to offer any support.

He knew these men, knew them well, and had no qualms exploiting all he knew. His freedom was at stake.

Pushing himself back up to his feet he dashed threw the maze like corridors meant to confuse an invader. This was his home, his playground, they did not confuse him, they offered him shelter, gave him tools to knock over and obstruct his pursuers. He would have laughed at the thrill of this, if that would not have been a waste of much needed breath.

He was running so fast, that he barely noticed the hooded pair in front of him until it was too late, these weren’t their guards…

It was too late to stop, the taller one lurched in front of the smaller to protect his charge, and Xzenivar spun out of his way to avoid a collision but the smaller, damn it!

“Watch out!” he was off balance, and her hands flew up to shield herself from the speeding man.

That’s when it happened, something had definitely happened, and Xzenivar Ashallanset wasn’t even sure what it was. His hand flew out, and as if drawn together their hands met, and clasped tight. The pair of them spun down the hallway, each counter balancing the other so that it looked like a choreographed dance. Xzenivar’s face was a mask of surprise, a look mirrored in the clear eyes of the woman he held hands with. He could make out little, but he caught her slight grin of her red lips and the small laugh that escaped them.
Planting his foot and taking her by the shoulder he managed to stop their spin and steady her, though he wasn’t sure when her arms had wrapped around her neck, nor why he had her dipped as if they had just blazed a trail on the ballroom floor.

“My, how romantic,” she trilled. “Sweeping a lady off her feet, holding her so close like this under the light of Menphina’s moon. What do you do for an encore?” she grinned.

“Sorry, I’m really in a hurry, sorry about that!” He didn’t have time to respond to her teasing! Though he couldn’t deny the blush on his cheeks either. Standing her upright he bowed his head to the man guarding her and looked out the window.

The moon really was full, and beautiful tonight, but more importantly, he was close enough to the ground, and a cart of hay was left in a most handy position.

“What is your name, my polite brigand?” that laugh again that heated his cheeks. One foot was already on the ledge and he was just getting ready, but… well he could at least give that.

“Xzenivar Ashallanset my lady, and I am no brigand.” And pushed himself off into a headlong dive a story below.

Well, the hard part was over.

“Tendaji…” the woman smiled from the window, eyes on the blond haired man she had met so briefly, dash towards the harbour.

“Yes my mistress?”

“I want him.”

“Yes, my mistress.”

He was almost there, almost home free, Xzenivar hadn’t stopped running since his feet hit the cobblestone and now, framed in the light of Menphina’s moon, sat his ticket to freedom.

Standing at the head of the gangway, the only barrier the young lord had to fear, and one he had hoped he could have avoided most.

Xzanifer Ashallanset, his imposing bulk swathed in the silken robes of a rich merchant stood there, waiting, with a look of eternal patience on his chiseled stone features. His hands resting on the head of his favorite cane, a shinning blue black spire with the head of a mythical beast, the leviathan at its crown.

“Where are you going, little brother?” Xzanifer sighed, a thick finger rubbing his temple in irritation. Despite his clothes and the small glasses that sat on the tip of his nose, there was a powerful presence in every small movement the larger man took.

When their parents were alive, people on their small island would wonder what the children of the proud highlander and a smooth midlander would look like, which parent would they take after both physically and personality wise. Here the two brothers stood, answering those questions.

“You sprang this on me, I have no intention of getting married now. I’ve barely even been off this island. There’s so much to see and to do! I want to LIVE brother! Find out who I am!” Xzenivar’s eyes burned with a passion that usually lay dormant behind his manners and noble barring. “Who is right and who is wrong, the way you do things, the way you treat people, that cannot be right. You’ve never listened to me, so now… now I will do what I think is best! I’ll take a lesson from you, and use selfishness as my guide.”

Xzanifer smiled so faintly, and began pacing back and forth. His cold blue eyes held only ice as he regarded the rebellious youth. “I must say, on some levels, I’m proud of you for this. But this marriage, it is far to important to us, to this island. You may not like how I get results, but my ways have done much for our people here. Turn around, head back inside, and we will forget this…” he motioned as if to brush away a fly. “Silliness.”

Xzenivar ground his teeth, “It is not silly to want to live your own life. Our father let you do as you wish, should I not make my own choices? What kind of man would I be if I let you decide then when and how of everything?” he spat.

The older man nodded slightly, “I won’t deny that you have a point. You have thought this through, perhaps I’ve been too… sheltering.” He nodded to himself. “However, this marriage is a political thing. Once sealed you can do these things, with or without your wife. It matters little to me. Take another lover even, one to cherish, as long as your children are legitimate with your wife then-“

“I WILL NOT MARRY HER!”

Xzanifer stopped and raised a singular fine brow. “That is not something you can decide so easily. First, you have to get pass me. Are you suddenly so skilled? Or are you emboldened by the feel of our father’s sword in your hand?”

“So I just have to get pass you?”

“Correct.”

“Then get out of my way!” Xzenivar lurched forward, in the corner of his mind knowing his brother was far more skilled, with more areas of expertise to pull from than the younger brother could consider, but this was something he could back down on.

And so, younger brother drew his sword…

The older brother smiled in satisfaction. “Willing to cut threw me to get at what you want most. Truly, that is the sort of ruthlessness I’ve longed to see.”

The older brother held up his cane, a stiletto blade jutting from the tip with naught a sound above a whisper. He wasn’t as fast as the younger, but his movements were practiced, and Xzenivar’s swings and thrusts while powerful, were not so skilled. Metal clashed as the pair twisted and pivoted, Xzanifer deflecting blow after blow from his father’s weapon. A look of grim pleasure on his face when he looked into the passionate flame of his little brothers, a fire that could have lit up the pier in the darkest night.

“I’m proud of you Xzen.” He murmured, a rare look of honestly shone in Xzanifer’s eyes.

Xzenivar blinked and mistepped, the proud look in his older’s eyes was gone in a blink of an eye, as he took the opening, his cane spinning around the sword blade, slipping under Xzenivar’s guard, and slashed upwards, a deft flick of his wrist and the stiletto changed direction. One attack, two cuts.

Xzenivar cried out and a hand flew to his right eye, hot crimson blood flowing from the wounds on his face. He staggered backwards and glared at his older brother, his sword the only thing holding him up as he panted through the pain.

“Come, let us see the healer. You’ll scar if we don’t see to that…”

It came from somewhere deep and primal buried in the heart of the young man, the low keening growl that fled his lips. His bloodied hand swept across his father’s blade.

“Xzen?” Xzanifer himself was taken aback.

Xzen launched forward, tip scrapping against the stone pavers sending up a shower of sparks in his wake, sparks that cast a fiery glow on the blood red metal, giving it the appearance of flame.
Almost too late for Xzanifer, did he realize that it was flame, and a searing arc as Xzenivar spun with a trail of fire behind his swing. The eyes of the leviathan cane shone with a sapphire blue light as older brother raised his hand in defense, a orb of water appearing between its fangs

Magic collided, and the brothers were flung apart with bone jarring force.

“What… well.. that was something.” Xzanifer coughed and shakily got to his knees.

“Brother! Take care of yourself! Seems I won this time.”

Xzaniver frowned and looked up at his little brother. There, with hand covering his bloody wound, with a small but pain filled smile on his lips, sat Xzenivar.

On the gangplank of the ship.

“You got passed me,” Xzanifer stared in disbelief, then chuckled then let out a peel of laughter. “So you have. So you have. You realize its not over?”

Xzenivar nodded, “Keep this, father would want it used for the good of his people, not a selfish son.” With a powerful throw, Xzen sent his father’s blade flying, the tip pushing through stone at Xzanifers feet.

“Goodbye.” And the young lord, turned and walked onto the deck. Moments later, the ship began its departure.

“Oh not quite little brother.” Xzanifer removed his glasses and a silk handkerchief to polish them. “But for now.” He picked up the sword when he was done and chuckled. “Who knows what that bastard would have wanted.”

“You’re just going to let him go? My mistress would not be happy.”

Xzanifer turned around to reguard the tall figure who had spoken. “I imagine she won’t be, nor that you skulked about instead of securing her prize.” This could be dangerous he thought. “But fret not, I won’t speak a word of it. My brother is not the type to lie low and hide. We can find him later.”

“For your island’s sake, I should hope so.”

Xzanifer chuckled a chilly little laugh. “We were not the only ones who had something to gain here, do not threaten me. Now if you’ll exscue me, I have an engagement banquet to eat. Can’t let our hard work go to waste now can we?”

"Ahh what a night its been. That boy... no, that young man. His will moves to a song of storm and fire..."