Hydaelyn Role-Players
Innocence and Avarice [closed] - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Role-Play (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+--- Forum: Town Square (IC) (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: Innocence and Avarice [closed] (/showthread.php?tid=6812)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27

RE: Innocence and Avarice [closed] - Goodfellow - 06-26-2014

Styrm's eyebrows shot up.  Taru'll be tickled, he mused, already knows more 'an 'e thought!  Heavily, he settled back onto his elbows and crossed his feet.

"Well, well, Jozzie, sure we ain't had some bit o' schoolin' some time?  Knowin' so many, we can finish the last ones right up and be off fer a pint 'fore twelve bells!"

RE: Innocence and Avarice [closed] - Zhavi - 06-26-2014

Zhi looked down, mouth twisting. "I know 'em," she said, some stubbornness clouding up her tone, "I seen 'em often enough. But I don't know alla 'em. I know th'names o' nine, see some words an' know what they mean. But I don't know how t' read, an' that's truth."

RE: Innocence and Avarice [closed] - Goodfellow - 06-27-2014

Styrm's face fell in response, but only slightly.  "Ah, there's the rub then, eh?"  He pulled himself out of his reclined position and twisted around to seat himself at Joz's side.  "If ye don' know their names, firs' thing's t'introduce ye t'each other."

RE: Innocence and Avarice [closed] - Zhavi - 06-27-2014

Discomfort sidled up Zhi's spine. She'd never been a particularly good student, pretending with Lalataru aside, and letters were especially her bane. As a streetrunner, she'd more cause than most gutterborn to be able to read, even if just a little. It'd caused her hardship in the past. It made her feel stupid. She'd preserved herself by insisting to any who questioned her that she didn't need to read to be good at her job; on the contrary, she'd felt the need to prove a point by not learning.

And there they were.

"A'right," she said after a long pause. She tried to scour the conflicting emotion from her voice, was mostly successful. "Introduce me."

RE: Innocence and Avarice [closed] - Goodfellow - 07-01-2014

"Aye, right, uh..." he droned off as he thought for a moment.  How had he begun to learn.  It had been Ahldbyrm, strangely enough, who had set about teaching him his letters.  He smiled as he recalled the largely illiterate crew of the Eyriberk struggling to help Ahldbyrm teach the huge child.

He looked down at Joz and examined her closely briefly.  Keeper.  Hm...that won't work.

"Joz.  A name's good a place as any t'cast off.  Joz wha's'it, then?" he asked.

RE: Innocence and Avarice [closed] - Zhavi - 07-01-2014

The way Zhi lifted her head and cast her eyes down at the page was awkward at best. Her hands fluttered from knees to floor to tucked under her armpits. She avoided looking at Styrm entirely. "Umm. . .mhmm," she said, tone vague with just the tiniest hint of uncertainty.

Wha's this now? Styrm thought to himself as he watched Joz...prevaricate?

"'Ey now, no need fer shame er nothin'.  Know a few miqo names, I do, an' howe'er breathy, wheezy, er buzzy it be," he said, thinking of all the Hs and Zs and Xs in the Keeper names he knew, "we'll spell 'er out t'gether, ye an' I.  'Ells, could be worse," he said with a pause, "ye coulda been born a roegadyn." 

At the last, he winked.

A small smile was her answer to his joke, though no laughter was forthcoming. "Are roegadyn names so hard t'spell, then?"

Styrm huffed in response and said, "Aye, if yer doin' it right."  He let out a chuckle or two at his own joke before again addressing Joz.

"But ye'll not throw me that easy, ye won't.  Le's 'ave yer name, then.  Jozzie who?"

Zhi shrugged one shoulder, untucking her hands from her armpits to pick at her nails. She looked down at them, hair flopping loose over her face. "Gutterborn."

It was a common name for streetrats and the like.

"Aw shite," he groaned, "that is a shite name, that'un."  He reached down and flipped open the book on her lap.  "So ye pick yerself a new name, a good'un, an' we learn how t'write it, ye an' I."  An' won't that surprise Taru when 'e gets back.  Big drunk me, teachin' letters an' givin' out names.  Styrm smirked to himself.

Zhi looked up from her fingers. Pick a new one? She made a face. "What's that got t'do wi'learnin' me letters, then?" What would she even choose for a name? What even made a name? Most were just meaningless sounds to her. "How'm I supposed t'jes pick out a new name? Wastin' me time! Jes teach me how t'spell Joz." She sounded cross, but her shoulders were curved inward, her hands held close to her stomach. Defensive.

"Aye, a'right then.  Jus' as ye like.  Joz'll be simpler, anyhow.  Jus' three letters, should be," he added as he turned to the page with the letter J.  Indicating it with his finger, he asked, "D'ye know this'un?"

RE: Innocence and Avarice [closed] - Zhavi - 07-02-2014

Zhi shook her head and bit her lip. There was a struggle present on her face: pride in her defensiveness.

RE: Innocence and Avarice [closed] - Goodfellow - 07-02-2014

"Well, she's J, she's the one what makes 'at juh sound firs' part o' yer name, juh-juh-Jozzie."  He traced the lines of the J, the hook and the bar.

"An' what comes next?  Ye've got yer J fer juh; 'en what?" he asked.